Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Winners Announced!* Perfect World Build Contest III: Rabbit Hole Edition

GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
edited August 2016 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
Perfect World Build Contest III: Rabbit Hole Edition

This is a building and photography contest to be judged by pictures only. It is the sequel to my Perfect Home, Perfect World and Perfect Lot, Perfect World contests.

The aim of this instalment in the series is to build a community lot to replace one of the rabbit holes in an EA world of your choice. The lot should express some of the quintessential characteristics of the world you have chosen. It should not seem out of place in its surroundings, but do not be afraid to try something unique and creative.

Deadline

This contest is currently set to close at 11.59pm BST on Friday 5th August 2016.

Index

Rules

Judging Criteria and Prizes

List of Rabbit Holes

Entry Form

Winners
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
Post edited by GreenCats on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    The Build

- Should include an accessible copy of the rabbit hole it is replacing. (See the bottom of this post for guidelines for replacing combined rabbit holes.) You can use any version of the rabbit hole object, and will not be penalized if this part of the build isn't especially attractive, provided it is tucked away somewhere discreet. The basement is an ideal location.

- Must be built on the same lot as the rabbit hole it is replacing. If it's from an expansion pack and you are not building in the corresponding world, you may use any lot that is empty when your chosen world first loads.

- Must be your own from start to finish. You are replacing an EA lot, not just making one over.

- Does not need to be new, but must not currently be entered in another contest or have placed in a contest in the past.

- Should not be a resort. (See List of Rabbit Holes, below.)

- Can cost whatever you like.

Content

- All EA objects are allowed, including limited edition and promotional content. Please excuse me if I have to ask you what something is.

- CAP is allowed but no other third-party CC. Please give credit and links if you have used someone else's patterns.

- Buliding cheats, hidden stencils, and DebugEnabler's 'move' function' are all allowed.

- Mods that lower bloom indoors will give you an unfair advantage. Please be honest and do not use them.

Pictures

- You may share no more than fifty pictures in total.

- Only ten of them may be shown in this thread. Please link to a separate thread or slideshow for the rest. All the pictures will be judged; I just don't want this thread to end up full of loads of massive posts.

- Please show floor plans of every level, and at least one front and one rear view. You'll also need to provide at least one picture of every room, although for most rooms you'll probably end up taking a lot more.

- I'd like to see eye-level pictures where possible, but for very tiny rooms I understand if an overhead shot is all you manage.

- Try to avoid zooming out to much in tab mode, or your build will end up looking like a goldfish bowl.

- You can use borders if you really want to, although no extra points will be awarded for them. Please don't use colour edits or filters on the pictures themselves.

This Thread

- You may enter up to four times, but each entry must be for a different world AND different rabbit hole type. You can win only once.

- If you want to make changes to your entry, just go ahead and edit your original post. We won't start judging until the contest has closed. Please do not make any further edits after the deadline has passed.

- Feel free to share links to further/older builds just for fun if they're relevant.

- WIP pictures, inspirational pictures, questions, encouragement, and general chit-chat are all very welcome!
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Judging Criteria

Architecture: 15 Points
    Points will be awarded for aesthetic appeal, technical proficiency & ingenuity, and how well the build expresses your chosen world.

Interiors: 15 Points
    Points will be awarded for aesthetic appeal, lighting, technical proficiency & ingenuity, how well the interiors complement the exteriors, and how suitable they are for your chosen world.

Landscaping: 15 Points
    Points will be awarded for aesthetic appeal (particularly in relation to the rest of your build and the surrounding area), and how well your landscaping expresses your chosen world.

Functionality: 25 Points
    Points will be awarded for including features appropriate to the type of rabbit hole you are replacing.

Photos: 10 Points
    Since this is a photos-only contest, having clear screenshots will impact your scores in all categories. However, in this category, points will be awarded for the more formal aspects of the images: good angles and centering, lack of grid-lines, and so on.

Judges

GreenCats
    tanubanue

Prizes

First Place: Store gifts worth 1650 simpoints PLUS the code for a copy of Into the Future

Second Place: Store gifts worth 1400 simpoints

Third Place: Store gifts worth 1000 simpoints

Fourth Place: Store gifts worth 700 simpoints

Fifth Place: Store gifts worth 500 simpoints

Sixth Place: Store gifts worth 300 simpoints

HM for Architecture: Store gifts worth 50 simpoints

HM for Interiors: Store gifts worth 50 simpoints

HM for Landscaping: Store gifts worth 50 simpoints

Sponsors

GreenCats - 700sp
    tanubanue - ITF code
    Kgaff - 2500sp
    aricarai - 2500sp

Additional judges and sponsors are very welcome!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    List of Rabbit Holes

Abandoned Warehouse
    Administration Centre
    Annex
    Arboretum
    Bistro
    Bookstore
    City Hall
    Diner
    Film Studio
    Grocery
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 Wagon
    Hospital
    Masoleum
    Military Base
    Office Buliding
    Plumbot Competition Arena
    Police Department
    School of Art
    School of Business
    School of Science
    Science Lab
    Skydiving Centre
    Spa
    Stadium
    Stellar Observatory
    Theatre
    Vault of Antiquity

As you can see, I have included some of the smaller rabbit holes like the masoleum, arboretum, and vault of antiquity. If you choose one of them, try to imagine what it would be like inside these places: don't just make a regular park or library that happens to have the rabbit hole object on site.

I have not included resort rabbit holes on this list because they really only exist to allow resorts to function, and can't operate independently from them.

There is no equestrian centre listed because horse routing requirements would mean the rabbit hole would have to be at ground level, which wouldn't leave you enough space to show off your awesome building skills.

Guidelines for Combined Rabbit Holes

If the lot you are replacing features a combined rabbit hole, you should make sure your build both is inspired by and includes the rabbit holes for each of the component types.

I don't mind whether you use the original combined rabbit hole object or separate rabbit hole objects for each. However, if you are uploading your build or using it for your own game play, you may want to bear in mind that the combined objects cause some opportunities and careers to bug out.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FAQ

What - exactly - do you mean by we "should include an accessible copy" of the rabbit hole we're going to replace?? If you want us to build on the same lot (as the rabbit hole), wouldn't that mean that there's NOT going to be enough room??

If the rabbit hole object you want to use is too big, you can stick it in the basement. That's what people building these types of lots usually do.

The lunar lakes rabbit holes are great for this sort of thing because they're smaller than others. You can incorporate them into the design of the build if you're going for something futuristic, or just tuck them away out of sight.

So, what we're going to build will actually be used by our sims; and not the original? Am I correct in thinking this? We're just going to plunk the original (unless it's small) downstairs "out of sight" - as it were.

You include the original rabbit hole object (or an equivalent from a different world) from the community lot objects menu.

Sims will use whatever facilities you have built, but they will also have access to the rabbit hole object for careers, opportunities, skill classes, etc.

Can we use cc rabbit hole doors or rugs?

No.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Winners

Thank you so much to everyone who entered this contest! I really enjoyed chatting with you all here, and looking through your fabulous entries.

First Place 1650sp plus ITF @BakingNerd with Riverview Country Hospital (We loved your Hidden Springs Grocery too, but the hospital scored a little higher.)

Second Place 1400sp @Catdog123 with Serenity Gardens

Third Place 1000sp @SjappielovePaul with Bornego College

Joint Fourth Place 700sp each @ZeeGee and @LadyEmillye with Crumplebottom Cafe and Sunset Valley City Hall

Let me know what you'd like to do with your winnings!

Many, many thanks also to our generous points sponsors for allowing us to reward your hard work and creativity with such generous prizes.

@Kgaff How would you feel about taking care of BakingNerd and LadyEmillye's prizes? (2350sp)

@aricarai And for you, Catdog123 and SjappielovePaul? (2400sp)

I can gift ZeeGee. (700sp)

The prize amounts aren't divided up exactly as I anticipated because we only had five contestants, and we ended up with a tie for fourth place, but I hope that's all okay!

Finally, a special thanks to @tanubanue for donating her Into the Future Code and also for helping me out with the challenging task of judging these lovely builds.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Entry Form

User Name:
    Lot Name:
    Rabbit Hole:
    World:
    Address:
    Lot Description:
    Download Link [Optional]:
    Pictures:
    Link to Further Pictures:

Entries

Sunset Valley City Hall by LadyEmillye

Bornego College by SjappielovePaul

Serenity Gardens by Catdog123

Riverview Country Hospital by BakingNerd

Hidden Springs Grocery by BakingNerd

Crumplebottom Cafe by ZeeGee
  • Options
    Reserved just in case
  • Options
    Okay, we're all set! :)
  • Options
    MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    GreenCats wrote: »
    The Build

- Should include an accessible copy of the rabbit hole it is replacing. You can use any version of the rabbit hole object, and will not be penalized if this part of the build isn't especially attractive, provided it is tucked away somewhere discreet. The basement is an ideal location.

**snipped**

This actually sounds interesting!! However.... I *do* have a question regarding the above. ^^

What - exactly - do you mean by we "should include an accessible copy" of the rabbit hole we're going to replace?? If you want us to build on the same lot (as the rabbit hole), wouldn't that mean that there's NOT going to be enough room?? #confused :/

Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    MsPrissy88 wrote: »
    The Build

- Should include an accessible copy of the rabbit hole it is replacing. You can use any version of the rabbit hole object, and will not be penalized if this part of the build isn't especially attractive, provided it is tucked away somewhere discreet. The basement is an ideal location.

**snipped**

This actually sounds interesting!! However.... I *do* have a question regarding the above. ^^

What - exactly - do you mean by we "should include an accessible copy" of the rabbit hole we're going to replace?? If you want us to build on the same lot (as the rabbit hole), wouldn't that mean that there's NOT going to be enough room?? #confused :/

So nice to see you!

If the rabbit hole object you want to use is too big, you can stick it in the basement. That's what people building these types of lots usually do.

The lunar lakes rabbit holes are great for this sort of thing because they're smaller than others. You can incorporate them into the design of the build if you're going for something futuristic, or just tuck them away out of sight.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    The Build

**snipped**

So nice to see you!

I hope this helps!

Lol, I was just typing up a similar comment. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Great to see you @Mmdrgntobldrgn !
  • Options
    I just wanted to say thank you again to the wonderful @tanubanue , who has offered to add a copy of Into the Future to our prize pool! How exciting!! She'll also be helping me judge the entries :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Woot! Way to go @tanubanue!

I hope you get a lot of interest @GreenCats as this is so much fun to do and I think we all like to see "useable" rabbits holes.

@MsPrissy88 - Sometimes when people put the rabbit hole building in the basement, they don't leave enough space in front of "all" the doors or around the stairs. Some rabbit holes have back doors where sims will get trapped if there isn't a second set of stairs nearby.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ciane wrote: »
    Woot! Way to go @tanubanue!

I hope you get a lot of interest @GreenCats as this is so much fun to do and I think we all like to see "useable" rabbits holes.

@MsPrissy88 - Sometimes when people put the rabbit hole building in the basement, they don't leave enough space in front of "all" the doors or around the stairs. Some rabbit holes have back doors where sims will get trapped if there isn't a second set of stairs nearby.

Thank you, Ciane :)

And thanks for that great tip. Checking where all the entrances are is definitely a good idea!

Btw, off topic, but did you see I nominated your blog for an award? I get notifications when other WP users link to my site, but I'm not sure if everyone does? Here's the post: https://gcsims.com/2016/05/15/the-spirit-animal-award/

• Options
    tanubanuetanubanue Posts: 4,116 Member
    I just wanted to say thank you again to the wonderful @tanubanue , who has offered to add a copy of Into the Future to our prize pool! How exciting!! She'll also be helping me judge the entries :)

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    The Build

**snipped**

So nice to see you!

I hope this helps!

Ahhhhhhh..... So, what we're going to build will actually be used by our sims; and not the original? Am I correct in thinking this? We're just going to plunk the original (unless it's small) downstairs "out of sight" - as it were.

See, as I was reading through everything, I actually have something in mind that I would like to try. Of course, I'll have to see if I can find it in the world I'm thinking of. lol :D
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    Thanks @Ciane! That's actually really "good to know" news. I probably would have been the 1 person who would have done that. :D
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I didn't get the notice. I must have some things unchecked. Thank you! I'll go add you to my thank yous and link your site from my awards page.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, poo.py! :( What I had in mind to build, in the world I had thought of, there's something already there. And it's not a rabbit hole. :s However.... I did find something else that I think might work! And since it is on your list of buildings..... yaaaaaay!!!

Ok! I'm in. :#
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • Options
    That's great, @MsPrissy88 ! I'm really excited to see what you come up with. Please ask if you have any more questions :)

@ciane Looked like I missed your post too! Congrats on the nominations from other simmers. Looking forward to checking out the sites you listed xx
  • Options
    KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    This sounds like a fun and unique build contest! :) I'll definitely find time to make at least one entry once the gift exchange is over.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhh..... So, what we're going to build will actually be used by our sims; and not the original? Am I correct in thinking this? We're just going to plunk the original (unless it's small) downstairs "out of sight" - as it were.

See, as I was reading through everything, I actually have something in mind that I would like to try. Of course, I'll have to see if I can find it in the world I'm thinking of. lol :D

You include the original rabbit hole object (or an equivalent from a different world) from the community lot objects menu.

Sims will use whatever facilities you have built, but they will also have access to the rabbit hole object for careers, opportunities, skill classes, etc.
  • Options
    This sounds like a fun and unique build contest! :) I'll definitely find time to make at least one entry once the gift exchange is over.

Wonderful! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I've taken the equestrian centre off the rabbit hole list. Many apologies if anyone was already making plans to do one :(

It was leftover from when I intended to allow rabbit hole replacement doors/rugs. But the rabbit hole object is large, and you would need to place it in the basement to allow space to build, and obviously that would mean the horses wouldn't be able to get in! (But if you started planning one out, you probably already realised this yourself...)

I've checked through the list a couple more times, and everything else on there should be fine.