Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Send OUT the Clowns!! (For Phobics and Haters, I know you're out there!)

egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
(Gurus, I know this is mod-related, but please don't move it, I'm posting in General on purpose, looking for people with clown issues who DON'T already have MC Command Center, who might benefit from trying it... they're more likely to see this HERE than in the /Mods forums. Thanks!)

Within probably an hour of the last game patch, Deaderpool received several separate requests from MC users with clown phobias to pretty please do something to remove them from the game.

He did. Version 2.9.0 has a Bypass switch installed for the retail-walkby-variety clowns.

The painting called clown is NOT an autonomous-viewing action (he verified that for me, too), so if you enable the bypass switch, and don't mess with the painting, you should never see clowns in your game.

Clown WARDROBE parts (with their attached +sadness debuffs, in some cases) are another story. I've already seen one player report that her bin went NUTS applying clown wardrobe items to newly created NPCs. Could've been a glitch, she's since repaired her game, and says it's behaving better.

But the initial post got me to thinking, so, I went ahead and put together a complete blacklist of ALL the old and new clown parts in the game.

Hair needs a whitelisted item to work, it's in there, too.

How-to post HERE. That link will land you in my help thread for MC... if you're new to it (mods in general) but wanting it for clown eradication, don't be afraid of trying it.

I'll be glad to help you get it up and running. :)

Edit: Should've added this the first time, but I didn't think of it till later... edit is a wonderful thing.

If you download MC's AllModules.zip, that is ALL you'll need, to get all the current version files.

SUPER-easy installation if you go that route, just
open it up,
copy the files to your /Mods/MC directory (I recommend putting MC in its own subfolder in /Mods, because it has several files),
start your game,
load a live lot,
find (or buy) a computer,
click the "MC" button,
and browse through the UI settings.

The clown setting is in the Population submenu.

Edit 2: (thought of something else useful)

With Dresser and Cleaner installed/enabled (check settings for both on a game computer), and that list of blacklisted clown parts, you're now armed and dangerous.

If you see ANY townie wearing something from the blacklisted stuff, click through that Sim > MC > Dresser > Outfit Commands > Clean Outfits.

This will immediately take any "bad" items off the selected sim across all outfits MC works on, if you haven't changed any of the categories... I went with ALL for everything.

If you don't see the MC sim menu, there's a setting for enabling that under the Computer > MC > Other Settings > Show Sim Menu path.

Edit 3: Cleaner alarms that remove CAS items run during the Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday midnight MC alarms. With the blacklist, your bin should not dress new sims in blacklisted items. But sims already wearing those items won't be instantly cleaned when you add the blacklist, unless you just happen to do it right before one of those alarms run.

Also, the question has been raised, what happens if you have the clown-parts blacklist installed, and THEN call a clown?

Or, if you don't enable the retail-bypass, and visit a lot to see a clown?

I *think* (based on things Deaderpool has said) that either would be classified as a Situation, and that the outfit would generate properly anyway. MC has no effect on Situation outfits.

But I'll admit to not being sure (and it will be days before I'll be able to test it myself), so, if anybody sees anything weird regarding clowns, PLEASE tag me to your post about it!

/edit 3

Any questions, let me know!

Post edited by egwarhammer on

Comments

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Thanks for posting this!

I haven't played yet since the patch as I had a busy time at work but I intend to play tomorrow and if I see that the clown situation is unbearable (clowns freak me out big time) I might consider taking your advice.
    I never used mods but, I think I won't be able to play much with clowns around my town.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Thanks for posting this!

I haven't played yet since the patch as I had a busy time at work but I intend to play tomorrow and if I see that the clown situation is unbearable (clowns freak me out big time) I might consider taking your advice.
    I never used mods but, I think I won't be able to play much with clowns around my town.

*hugs* I know how you feel; I've got the same phobia.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this!

Wow, that was quick. :) Just to let you know, I'm off work today but go back tomorrow (2nd shift, then 7 3rd shifts next week).

Not being pushy, just saying if you might find time to look at/install it today, I'll be more available if you hit a snag, work weeks my net and play time take severe hits. I'll be around, just not as much.

Whether you USE it or not, I hope you'll at least look it over. Description page is some EPIC documentation. MC's Comments thread is my favorite hangout spot at MTS.

Hubby used to work with a girl who had a clown phobia. That question is NOT on job applications, BTW. They worked at a hotel together, she was the desk clerk, one day the Shriners rolled in, wearing full parade regalia.

She flipped out. Had a seizure of some kind, hit the floor, and ended up hiding in the back room. He said it took him an hour to talk her into coming out of there just so he could take her home. :(

I'm a believer. And I know Dresser/Cleaner at least THAT well. I'm not GREAT with dresser, but I knew I could do the blacklist.

Really hoping it turns out to be helpful. :)

Thanks for the reply, let me know what you decide to do.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Same here.. I absoluty hate clowns and the fact that most of my npc's look like them, I installed MC commander to get rid of them. I know it's a game, so it's not that horrible, but I still try to avoid them, meaning I don't even hang the clown painting in any homes.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Same here.. I absoluty hate clowns and the fact that most of my npc's look like them, I installed MC commander to get rid of them. I know it's a game, so it's not that horrible, but I still try to avoid them, meaning I don't even hang the clown painting in any homes.

If you add that blacklist to your dresser config file and see a sim wearing something clowny, I posted directions (plus picture!) on how to fix that HERE.

No clowns allowed, I said, not on my watch!
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Neat mod feature!

I do dislike clowns, but my Sims have yet to be bothered by them, so I don't think I have to take action right now.
    So, while I don't use this particular mod, it'll definitely be something that I'll think about if the clowns start to get on my nerves.
  • Options
    Neat mod feature!

I do dislike clowns, but my Sims have yet to be bothered by them, so I don't think I have to take action right now.
    So, while I don't use this particular mod, it'll definitely be something that I'll think about if the clowns start to get on my nerves.

Just keep an eye out for what your bin decides to dress newly made sims in. That's what the blacklist is for, in case someone's bin discovers an affinity for that hair/outfit/etc set.

Bin is sneaky, but we're old adversaries, now. I got this. :) (Well, thanks to MC.)

• Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I agree with most of it. But why couldn't we get a happy/funny clown instead? Finally we could play circus or something. That would be so nice.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I dont hate clowns or anythin myself but I'm thankful that this is a thing for people that do have a phobia of clowns..i have never seen the clown tho
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    I agree with most of it. But why couldn't we get a happy/funny clown instead? Finally we could play circus or something. That would be so nice.

Because it's a throwback from TS1.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @egwarhammer you and deaderpool are total stars to work so hard on this and just in general. Even though I'm not currently playing next time I try again I will defo make sure to use your instructions.

I'm not a clown fan after my father upset me by putting a toy clown round the door so I couldn't see him when I was a toddler and made its cymbals play so I thought it was doing it itself. He was such a meanie!
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for posting this!

:HUGS: from me too. I have the same fear so I modded it out with this mod. Thank Goodness for Deaderpool. The mod is actually super easy to use once you get the hang of it but looking at it can be intimidating. I just started out by changing little things one at a time until I got a feel for how the mod works.

I had an issue as a child at the circus with clowns and then the movie IT didn't help matters. They just freak me out with their false smiles and such. Plus, I have noticed that I don't have as many sad Sims around either.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I don't hate clowns, but I do not want the clown in my game. It is bad enough with no teen except them looking like adults. I like to play a little realistic, and in all my life I have never seen a clown in town or coming to your house and causing a distraction in your life. I just want to play a family game. But it seems to be getting harder and harder with each download or update.
  • Options
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this!

:HUGS: from me too. I have the same fear so I modded it out with this mod. Thank Goodness for Deaderpool. The mod is actually super easy to use once you get the hang of it but looking at it can be intimidating. I just started out by changing little things one at a time until I got a feel for how the mod works.

I had an issue as a child at the circus with clowns and then the movie IT didn't help matters. They just freak me out with their false smiles and such. Plus, I have noticed that I don't have as many sad Sims around either.

Heya @Glimmer50 I know you've had MC for a while... are you planning to use the blacklist I put together?

If you do, I'd like to know how it works for you. Thanks! (Error checking, I'm not perfect, y'know.)
  • Options
    Shameless bump...

12 downloads on the clown blacklist (for MC Command Center) since yesterday. :)

Whether you've ever used mods or not, if you're afraid of clowns or just seriously despise them, MC 2.9.0 (current as of 4/26/2016) has a bypass for them installed. Turn it on, no retail walkbys.

That blacklist I mentioned goes with MC's Dresser and Cleaner modules/routines, and will stop your BIN from applying those wardrobe/hair/etc pieces to newly created townies.

Info post HERE.

That will land you in my local MC help thread.

If you look at the site, and you've never used mods, it may seem overwhelming. MC does a LOT of different things for this game.

Don't be afraid to try it though, once you get in, it's really easy to configure. In game UI menus for pretty much everything it will let you do.

Take a look, try it out, and if you have any questions or problems, post to my help thread here, or to MC's Comments page.

Deaderpool considered the clowns a game-breaker, for people with the phobia. So do I.

If you want them out, we're both here to help you make that happen. Just let us know! :)
  • Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Thank you! I was so upset about getting the clown in my game that I made up a story to make it easier. The clown is the artist who painted the Sad Clown. Since the clown appears to be different random townies, my revised story is that the artist want's to be anonymous and that he or she hired a bunch of sims to dress up and act as the clown as part of a 24/7 happening. If I can't deal with the clown I'll definitely use MC!
  • Options
    NordicPhoenix22xNordicPhoenix22x Posts: 301 Member
    First thing I did after the clown update was check for mods to remove them again. :smiley: While I like that they brought something from TS1 back into the game, I don't want them to randomly appear in my towns. The painting I can just ignore and not buy, but the walkbys had to go. I'm glad Deaderpool reacted so fast. :smile:
    "Children of the night, Soldiers of our time
    Scream it out loud, One generation
    Riot in the streets, Fighting and debris
    Raise your fist high, the Generation Wild!"
    182kwx.png
  • Options
    One more thing I should have mentioned, if you download MC's AllModules.zip, that is ALL you'll need, to get all the current version files.

SUPER-easy installation if you go that route, just open it up, copy the files to your /Mods/MC directory (I recommend putting MC in its own subfolder in /Mods, because it has several files), start your game, load a live lot, find (or buy) a computer, click the "MC" button, and browse through the UI settings. The clown setting is in the Population submenu.

(Woohoo is on a different site, and is linked on MC's front page... ratings.)

But the woohoo module doesn't have anything to do with clowns, just mentioning it for mod-completion.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    For those of you looking at this for the first time, this mod works very well. It takes a bit to look through everything but it is sooo worth the extra time.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2016
    Mm i never understood the phobia of clowns, i always see them as people in customs. Is movies like it is the reason why people fear them? My mom hates them too
    Post edited by BrittanyChick22 on
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have no phobia myself but I definitely understand the concern. Phobias are irrational and mostly uncontrollable, and can ruin the experience of a game for folks with such a phobia. Props to making a mod to allow some manual control for that.
    Mm i never understood the phobia of clowns, i always them as people in customs. Is movies like it is the reason why people fear them? My mom hates them too
    There really isn't too much to actually understand. Phobias are completely irrational reactions to specific situations. Some folks with a clown phobia might tell you it comes from Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but that isn't the entire reason.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I really appreciate Deaderpool's work, since I like to have total control over my game. I don't have any Clown phobias, but it's great for people that do.
    Once again there's argument that Maxis should implement options to turn on/off NPCs in-game.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I really appreciate Deaderpool's work, since I like to have total control over my game. I don't have any Clown phobias, but it's great for people that do.
    Once again there's argument that Maxis should implement options to turn on/off NPCs in-game.

As was done in Sims 3. I grew to hate Celebrities very quickly, and I loved that I could switch them off and just avoid celebrities that were in households. How much did I hate celebrities? Zombies never felt to be a problem when I had celebrities to worry about.
  • Options
    thegummybear13thegummybear13 Posts: 310 Member
    If they really wanted to go back to the sims 1 roots he would have been in the base game.Heck he could have came as an option in an expansion pack like living large but instead he/she is forced.I cannot stand clowns and some people go ballistic when they see them -_- this isn't even the real TC it's a random townie.
    tumblr_o2lz9mNWaj1sbr6who1_400.gif