Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch next week! Growfruits and egg hunting!

Comments

• Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    I wonder if we can "kidnap" her and make her part of a household? I also hope that the items we get (and don't get) in these challenges will be found in debug when the challenges are over! I will always be #TeamAllTheThings

I agree with the bolded. Totally fine with the challenge being limited time (that's what makes it a challenge! :) ) but I don't see why the objects themselves need to be limited time as well.

Yes, it's the sims, I hate to have content I can't access to, especially when it's free. It would be cool if they were unlocked permanently for everyone after the challenge is over.

That would totally defeat the purpose of it. I don't want the easter eggs unlocked for everyone just because or the tree... it makes it not fun. Maybe they can do it with SOME objects, sometimes like months after the challange... like they did with the halloween stuff.

It's not fun for many of us at it is though. Some of us feel it's grindy, boring, and entirely against the genre of The Sims.

On top of that, The Sims isn't an MMO. Seasonal events like this are just unnecessary in a single player game, especially in a game that has its own clock and calendar.

You can always ignore the challanges.

No, I really can't, because I'm forced to download them.

I can choose to not participate in them, which I fully intend to do, but I'm still going to voice how useless and utterly boring this type of content is, especially for a game like The Sims.

go ahead, its your right. Just make sure to say that, that is your opinion. :)

I for one love the idea :) can't wait for next week and i look forward to more challanges!

I agree with you so much. Gurus can't win either way. People want them to be more interactive and creature more community events and when they actually try and do little challenges we can all participate and share pictures in they STILL complain.

The people complaining in this forum are the EXACT same people who complained a long time ago that the forums never have any interactive events anymore for holidays etc. I've seen them say "WE used to have forum parties and giveaways, holiday screenshot sharings etc" And Sim Guru Drake tries to do more community things and they still complain.

Whatever, Thank you so much for this Sim Guru Drake, it's a great start but does need some improvement. Like a few of us have said, we don't like how we have to unlock it multiple times, it should be a one time achievment thing. Also if Jasmine could look unique and not just like a townie that'd be great <3

Exactly. No matter what people complain. I complain a lot too , i can admit that. The only difference is that for me any addition is ok . It might not be my taste, but i gotta deal with it cause some people do like that addition.

For example. I hate the idea of a generations EP, but if they add it , i know some people will like that part of the game expanded.

You can't have EVERYTHING you way. Instead of complaining about additions we should complain about what's still lacking.

Additions should always be welcomed cause it will fit someone's game style for sure. Maybe it just wasn't your turn this time.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    bethyGrace wrote: »
    Guys, I don't get it. What is exciting about this? Grow a plant and get a planter. Then what? Hunt some Easter eggs. What for? What impact does this actually have on the game? On our sims? What can our sims actually DO?

Wouldn't it be more fun if they patched in the ability for us to have an Easter celebration with our sims whenever we wanted to in our games? Wouldn't it be more fun if adult sims could go "hide eggs in the garden" and have their kiddy sims go hunt for them? Creating a beautiful family memory, that our sims would think back on? Or maybe they could attend a town Easter egg hunt in the park on "festival day" (or whatever you wanted to call it - it could be a scheduled day in the Sims year) where all the sim kids from the town turned up to participate? Wouldn't it be more fun if we were in control? As they say - if "we rule" - shouldn't we be able to play with life?

Shallow gameplay. That is what this is. Shallow, and meaningless.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer today, but seriously... is this what The Sims is about now? Timed "challenges" where there is no freedom? And no chance to fail? Maybe kids who missed out could be sad on the festival day, and cry about it to their parents and throw a tantrum. Or maybe shy kids could cry if their parents tried to take them into town for a massive Easter Egg hunt. Maybe rambunctious scamps could be the best at finding the eggs. Maybe it could go DEEPER into the game??!

Uggghhhh.

//end rant.

If you're Debbie Downer you aren't alone. Many of us agree with you.

Just had a random funny thought while doing the dishes -

Wouldn't it be funny if there was an NPC called Debbie Downer who went around in TS4 making sims sad? Lol. It could be like the Unsavoury fellow from TS2 who could randomly pop up and pickpocket your sims.

I think that would be funny, anyway. Like, oh no, here comes Debbie Downer - run away! No, don't talk to me! :D

Unrelated to this thread. Sorry, move on XD
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Guys, I don't get it. What is exciting about this? Grow a plant and get a planter. Then what? Hunt some Easter eggs. What for? What impact does this actually have on the game? On our sims? What can our sims actually DO?

Wouldn't it be more fun if they patched in the ability for us to have an Easter celebration with our sims whenever we wanted to in our games? Wouldn't it be more fun if adult sims could go "hide eggs in the garden" and have their kiddy sims go hunt for them? Creating a beautiful family memory, that our sims would think back on? Or maybe they could attend a town Easter egg hunt in the park on "festival day" (or whatever you wanted to call it - it could be a scheduled day in the Sims year) where all the sim kids from the town turned up to participate? Wouldn't it be more fun if we were in control? As they say - if "we rule" - shouldn't we be able to play with life?

Sorry to be Debbie Downer today, but seriously... is this what The Sims is about now? Timed "challenges" where there is no freedom? And no chance to fail? Maybe kids who missed out could be sad on the festival day, and cry about it to their parents and throw a tantrum. Or maybe shy kids could cry if their parents tried to take them into town for a massive Easter Egg hunt. Maybe rambunctious scamps could be the best at finding the eggs. Maybe it could go DEEPER into the game??!

Uggghhhh.

//end rant.

Exactly! This challenge aims at a playstyle that is more suitable and often, if not always, used in MMO year events. Collect whatever event currency through looting and then deliver it to a vendor that gives you whatever they are selling for the event's period of time.

It's not suppose to impact the gameplay but give you something timely exclusive which just doesn't work with this game, it's a single player game...and we are still in shortage of features.

I like that some people find these amusing, I mean really at least some do enjoy this type of challenges, but to me, it's like a huge iceberg that is clashing against the franchise.

The difference is that you don't HAVE to do the challenge to get the items. Just buydebug them if you hate challenges so much. But complaining about a challenge you don't need nor have to do just because it's a challenge doesn't achieve anything. If you don't like a challenge that you don't have to do nor do you need to do in order to get a certain item, don't do it. Complaining is pointless.

Well, it's not just "don't do it if you don't like it".... The point is that it is an MMO style activity, and SimGuruDrake said we are to expect more of these in the future. They (EA, I think, not necessarily the devs who work for them, to be more specific) are still trying to put in the MMO playstyle because it seems to do so well do other franchises. That's what TS4 was originally planned to be, an online-only MMO. (of course then it was called Olympus, I think) And when it tanked with SimCity, they scrapped TS4 and had to start over... And they're *still* trying to implement it! I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of TS4 as it is now, I'm actually having a lot of fun with it and can't seem to get enough, I've actually been shirking responsibilities recently so I could play more...

But this doesn't bode well, in my opinion, for the future of The Sims as a life simulator. Sure, they can say it's just "extra" stuff they're adding to make it fun, there's still the options for legacy, rotational play, etc....but to me it feels like it they're just conditioning us for an MMO Sims 5

But to those that are excited about it, great! I'm excited for you! I hope you all enjoy it. :wink:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of gurus, people who know me have already noticed that, but this time some people are just complaining with no arguments.

The game has rotational play, legacy play, single play and now they add challanges that are pointing more towards playing as a community. You can pick what you want.

If you don't like challanges , don't do them. You can also disable automatically download the patch and wait till next month.

If you like the items just use the debug cheat.

Easy. I honestly see no point this time. I'm just glad we got something new cause the game gets boring in record time.

There is no arguing nor complaining going on here. People are giving legitimate feedback..

The game has that, as far as you are aware, but the quality of each of those types of gameplay is up for debate. Many people, such as I, feel legacy play is heavily lacking in TS4, compared to its predecessors, for instance. Many of us feel that the very LAST thing the team should be designing and adding to the game are temporary seasonal events and challenges which add nothing to the final product of The Sims 4 and seem to be more of a distraction to feed bored players as the developers struggle to pump out content with gameplay that lasts longer than a week's time.

This is not a community nor social game though. It's a single player game. Sims Olympus is dead, just as it should remain. But now, I have no choice but to download it and deal with the NPC that pops up and takes one of the Sim slots of my game save for the duration of the event.

If the game gets boring in record time, as you just stated, wouldn't you say that the so-called rotational play, legacy play, and single play the game possesses must not be sufficient enough to keep your attention for a reasonable amount of time?

I agree with you in many things here.

I used to be a legacy player and I had to stop cause this game lacked family play. I also agree that developers priorities are all messed up. The problem is that we already know we are nit getting any sort of packs in March, what else can we do?

If you want to complain about the gurus priorities make a thread about it and trust me ill support you.

Olympus is not dead to me. Its pretty obvious that the sims 4 is not that great because is built on top of that failure.

The part in bald letters, i agree with it completely. For me is not sufficient.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm not a fan of gurus, people who know me have already noticed that, but this time some people are just complaining with no arguments.

The game has rotational play, legacy play, single play and now they add challanges that are pointing more towards playing as a community. You can pick what you want.

If you don't like challanges , don't do them. You can also disable automatically download the patch and wait till next month.

Easy. I honestly see no point this time. I'm just glad we got something new cause the game gets boring in record time.

Complaining with no arguments? Sorry if you feel that way. I hope my post was supported by the arguments I made.

A bit off topic, but *ahem*: Rotational play - do we not still have bugs with sims being culled, and gaining extra romantic interests, and suddenly becoming extremely buff, while playing other households? Legacy play - apart from the horrible and glaring hole in the sim's lifespans that starts with a 'T', sure we have legacy play. But for some reason, an awful lot of legacy players are still playing TS2 and TS3, and are dissatisfied with TS4. That cannot be ignored. Single play - I agree, we have that in spades.

But you're right, this game does get boring in record time. Hence my suggestions for lasting, deeper, multi-faceted content that has replay value.

This "challenge" idea has absolutely no replay value. Because... well... we won't even be able to replay it if we wanted to. And we'll be seeing *more* of it in future? The only thing we can do is point out the flaws in this approach and hope that they change their minds :neutral:
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    Honestly, I'm not super impressed. Not because of what they're giving us, but because of the whole game of it. I'm not a fan of timed challenges with locked prizes. If I wanted that in my sims, I'd play Sims Freeplay. But Freeplay is annoying and I don't prefer to play it. This is not the kind of play I want when I'm in the mood to play Sims 4. :\

But I don't know, maybe some people do like the challenges. As long as they give everybody the fruit and the planter (or we can cheat to get it) when the challenge is done, then whatever. I like new harvestables. I like planters. But I'm too busy this month to jump through any hoops to get them, and if that locks them out for me forever then that's not cool.
  • Options
    FranSimsFranSims Posts: 30 Member
    People, I think you guys are very desperate, until launch new patch, we can not speculating on anything, because they can announce other news.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    FranSims wrote: »
    People, I think you guys are very desperate, until launch new patch, we can not speculating on anything, because they can announce other news.

There's not much speculating going on in this thread. Mostly discussing what was confirmed.
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Growfruit challenge they're listening! This is what everyone been asking for since the game was released.

Man i wish the LOL button still existed :D
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    For those complaining, remember LOTS of people loved the previous challenges;

TS4_SimsWooHooWeekend_19Feb2015.png

That's a lot of people who contributed to that number over one weekend, which means lots of people took part in it.
  • Options

Complaining with no arguments? Sorry if you feel that way. I hope my post was supported by the arguments I made.

A bit off topic, but *ahem*: Rotational play - do we not still have bugs with sims being culled, and gaining extra romantic interests, and suddenly becoming extremely buff, while playing other households? Legacy play - apart from the horrible and glaring hole in the sim's lifespans that starts with a 'T', sure we have legacy play. But for some reason, an awful lot of legacy players are still playing TS2 and TS3, and are dissatisfied with TS4. That cannot be ignored. Single play - I agree, we have that in spades.

But you're right, this game does get boring in record time. Hence my suggestions for lasting, deeper, multi-faceted content that has replay value.

This "challenge" idea has absolutely no replay value. Because... well... we won't even be able to replay it if we wanted to. And we'll be seeing *more* of it in future? The only thing we can do is point out the flaws in this approach and hope that they change their minds :neutral:

i have nothing to say about that, because i know exactly what you mean
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not super impressed. Not because of what they're giving us, but because of the whole game of it. I'm not a fan of timed challenges with locked prizes. If I wanted that in my sims, I'd play Sims Freeplay. But Freeplay is annoying and I don't prefer to play it. This is not the kind of play I want when I'm in the mood to play Sims 4. :\

But I don't know, maybe some people do like the challenges. As long as they give everybody the fruit and the planter (or we can cheat to get it) when the challenge is done, then whatever. I like new harvestables. I like planters. But I'm too busy this month to jump through any hoops to get them, and if that locks them out for me forever then that's not cool.

I think challenges are refreshing. I personally enjoy this new feature. Doesn't change the fact that this game is still missing lots of content though
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Oh so this month's content is just a recycled challenge?

I guess that means another month of TS3 for me, haven't touched TS4 since Janurary. :unamused:
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    According to Sims Community: "We reached out to EA and they have confirmed that the Patch is coming this Tuesday! More info to follow in the upcoming blog."

http://simscommunity.info/2016/03/17/the-sims-4-spring-challenge-and-new-update-coming-this-tuesday/

Wow normally patches release on Thursday.

Tuesday patches are usually small. I think there will be a pack announcement soon with another patch shortly after in early April.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    According to Sims Community: "We reached out to EA and they have confirmed that the Patch is coming this Tuesday! More info to follow in the upcoming blog."

http://simscommunity.info/2016/03/17/the-sims-4-spring-challenge-and-new-update-coming-this-tuesday/

Wow normally patches release on Thursday.

Tuesday patches are usually small. I think there will be a pack announcement soon with another patch shortly after in early April.

One can only hope!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

Uggghhhh.

//end rant.

If you're Debbie Downer you aren't alone. Many of us agree with you.

Just had a random funny thought while doing the dishes -

Wouldn't it be funny if there was an NPC called Debbie Downer who went around in TS4 making sims sad? Lol. It could be like the Unsavoury fellow from TS2 who could randomly pop up and pickpocket your sims.

I think that would be funny, anyway. Like, oh no, here comes Debbie Downer - run away! No, don't talk to me! :D

Unrelated to this thread. Sorry, move on XD

That's basically what the tragic clown did in TS1, I think. But Debbie Downer sounds so much more fun. You are really creative. You need to go take over the Maxis team and force your ideas into the game. It would improve the game so much :3
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I don't mind looking for Easter eggs again. More eggs to add to the collection in Buy/Debug. Some of the players might have missed out on the chance last year. It doesn't take all that long to get the rabbit. Maybe it is a different rabbit. Maybe it is the same. Idk. The growfruit challenge sounds sort of interesting. What exactly is a growfruit and what does it do? I will have to bone up on my gardening skills, but hey, maybe I can use the planters and the plant in Build/Buy. I am sure after you gain the items they will either stay in your game or be in debug. I never complain about free stuff and am willing to take a stab at these challenges.

I agree. I might be in the minority but I like these challenges. They bring something new to the game. I had fun with the eggs last year and liked the rabbit. I hope we get a different one this year. I am curious as to what the grow fruit does. I wonder if it makes you fat or something?

I thought the girl in the second picture was Jasmine as she looks like she could be sisters to Summer. It would be great if they would put her in the game or maybe someone will make her. :)
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    CrackFox wrote: »
    Another one to sigh over....

Yeah, I guess all that toddler speculation is going out the window as we see it's nowhere near family play patch. Long sigh....I think I need to quit riding these hype trains.

Did people seriously expect them patching in toddlers right now? I guess they would have hyped such things way before dropping it, just to create more hype.

That's the problem: People hype themselves up and then they get angry when it's not in a patch or not in the next pack.

I will just sit, wait and see. Not expecting anything anymore.

@rudy8292, nope. Expecting toddlers for 2016, but I've been saying from the get go that the next update would be Easter related. Not disappointed and still on the hype train... :joy:
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    I don't mind looking for Easter eggs again. More eggs to add to the collection in Buy/Debug. Some of the players might have missed out on the chance last year. It doesn't take all that long to get the rabbit. Maybe it is a different rabbit. Maybe it is the same. Idk. The growfruit challenge sounds sort of interesting. What exactly is a growfruit and what does it do? I will have to bone up on my gardening skills, but hey, maybe I can use the planters and the plant in Build/Buy. I am sure after you gain the items they will either stay in your game or be in debug. I never complain about free stuff and am willing to take a stab at these challenges.

I agree. I might be in the minority but I like these challenges. They bring something new to the game. I had fun with the eggs last year and liked the rabbit. I hope we get a different one this year. I am curious as to what the grow fruit does. I wonder if it makes you fat or something?

I thought the girl in the second picture was Jasmine as she looks like she could be sisters to Summer. It would be great if they would put her in the game or maybe someone will make her. :)

Maybe you could explain what the egg "challenge" is? Last year I had no intention of hunting for the eggs......I don't see the point of collections.....and my Sim found all of them just by tending their garden. Is that the challenge?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Not really sure what constitutes "new ways to play" here. On one hand you have an Easter egg hunt, which is the same challenge as last year, and on the other it's just gardening. I think the whole idea is just terrible.

I'm not a fan of the challeneges, and this one just reinforces that. The rewards are essentially nothing that adds value to the game, and the gameplay behind the challenge is base game stuff. If you guys are going to treat this game like an MMO at least make it enjoyable.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @bethyGrace completely and utterly yes! *sigh* honestly in a game where the tag line is 'You rule' they keep doing these challenges based around our celebration times but yet it has no connection to a sims life.

Having it this way means in sim time there would be years between Christmas, easter etc etc.

As a player I want to make celebrations relevant to the sims in my game-to their life progress and use them for my sims to enjoy valuable bonding time often with other sims.

This is exactly like playing an app game. But the difference? I don't care if it's in an app because I don't care too much for app games-I play them but they aren't a main hobby for me. I don't want the sims to just become an mmo/app style model that caters only to that play style.

I mean it's nice some people enjoy it. But in previous games the player decided whether they had the challenges in their face or not. This way like @PHOEBESMOM601 said a player wishing to play normally will be forced into that gameplay by doing gardening and 'finding' eggs etc. So it's not optional. It's forced.

Then there is if you are busy the content you might want to play with next month will vanish because EA locked it again.

I like that the sims is single player. I don't want the invasive push in game to try to pressure you into online gaming for the sims.
  • Options
    TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    This looks very boring, I have no interest in getting eggs or a seed that can be bought in buy debug. Please give us info on future packs. I love the game but this is not something I'm looking forward to
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,952 Member

Maybe you could explain what the egg "challenge" is? Last year I had no intention of hunting for the eggs......I don't see the point of collections.....and my Sim found all of them just by tending their garden. Is that the challenge?

Yes. That was the challenge. I think you can make it as 'challenging' as you want. I found some in my garden, some in the parks. Some in the different places where you would normally harvest plants. I found some in the frog logs. I didn't just toil away in my garden until I'd discovered them all. Also I love collections so that might be why I find these 'challenges' fun. :)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Yes. That was the challenge. I think you can make it as 'challenging' as you want. I found some in my garden, some in the parks. Some in the different places where you would normally harvest plants. I found some in the frog logs. I didn't just toil away in my garden until I'd discovered them all. Also I love collections so that might be why I find these 'challenges' fun. :)

Did you see what I wrote? I said I had no intention of collecting the eggs. My Sim just got them for what she would have normally done. There was no challenge.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright