Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm at my wit's end

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    CandyCadet wrote: »
    It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give

That's an old post. It is explaining how to get your game to use up to 4GB of RAM. Since that post was made the game was patched for PCs and it now uses 4 GB of RAM by default. Since it is a 32 bit game it can't use more than 4 GB of RAM.
  • Options
    WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    OP, I'm still playing the Sims 3 Pets on console instead.
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

Until EA updates the game, I've tried everything and nothing is working.

OP didn't ask about TS3 pets for console...
    igazor wrote: »
    I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Who said they did? I said that's what I've resorted to, to play.

That's my point exactly though lol. They are asking for advice on their game, THE SIMS 3 and you bring up TS3 Pets on console -___- This does not help the OP at all and I highly doubt they spent $2000 on a rig for a "last resort" which is not even the same game, no matter how many similarities there are.
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?

I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube Simmer with a completely flawless game though. They experience occasional lags, stutters, and glitches just like the rest of us.

NRAAS mods are a good starting point. Error Trap, Overwatch, and Mastercontroller will help to improve the stability and performance of your game.

I've tried all the mods and utilities you can think of, believe me. No dice. I had this same problem on my older PC with 8GB RAM, i7, Gtx 760 and I tried for AGES before just giving up. I bought all these games way back when I played on a laptop though, and I had to run on lowest settings anyway and was new to PC gaming. I guess either I didn't have the stutter or I didn't notice it.

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that without patching just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Options

That's my point exactly though lol. They are asking for advice on their game, THE SIMS 3 and you bring up TS3 Pets on console -___- This does not help the OP at all and I highly doubt they spent $2000 on a rig for a "last resort" which is not even the same game, no matter how many similarities there are.

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?

I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube Simmer with a completely flawless game though. They experience occasional lags, stutters, and glitches just like the rest of us.

NRAAS mods are a good starting point. Error Trap, Overwatch, and Mastercontroller will help to improve the stability and performance of your game.

I've tried all the mods and utilities you can think of, believe me. No dice. I had this same problem on my older PC with 8GB RAM, i7, Gtx 760 and I tried for AGES before just giving up. I bought all these games way back when I played on a laptop though, and I had to run on lowest settings anyway and was new to PC gaming. I guess either I didn't have the stutter or I didn't notice it.

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.

I think if you have this stutter you will continue to have it as I've seen people who build their own computers and who are experts in getting computers to run properly with this stutter and try for months to get rid of it and had no success. It seems to be something you have or you don't have it. The best you seem to be able to hope for is to learn to work around it.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give

That's an old post. It is explaining how to get your game to use up to 4GB of RAM. Since that post was made the game was patched for PCs and it now uses 4 GB of RAM by default. Since it is a 32 bit game it can't use more than 4 GB of RAM.

I'm not sure, I looked in the file that post tells you to and it said "memory: 2000000" for me and my game is fully patched. I changed it to 4 and didn't immediately notice a difference but it's hard to tell. I'll probably try 8 just to say I did.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.

I think if you have this stutter you will continue to have it as I've seen people who build their own computers and who are experts in getting computers to run properly with this stutter and try for months to get rid of it and had no success. It seems to be something you have or you don't have it. The best you seem to be able to hope for is to learn to work around it.

Chester has had this issue with 3 different computers and we know chester knows what she is doing. She told me she tried everything and could not find a cure
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

I'm not sure, I looked in the file that post tells you to and it said "memory: 2000000" for me and my game is fully patched. I changed it to 4 and didn't immediately notice a difference but it's hard to tell. I'll probably try 8 just to say I did.

Yes, the file said the same thing for me too before I changed it to 4. Figured if it might make my game run even faster, why not lol
  • Options
    You can see what memory your game is using by launching Task Manager. You can get more info if you go to Task Manager performance page and click the Resource Monitor button. My game is using 4 GB and I've never changed anything to make it use more memory.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited February 2016
    As for stutter.. forget all about looking for a answers or finding a solution.. you will not find a solution.
    Stutter when moving the camera is a very well known issue and has not been fixed, If you Google this issue you will even find posts and other forums mentioning it as far back as 2009.
    I have had 3 graphics cards and 2 completely different computers have this issue. (GTX 560,GTX 670,GTX 970.)
    Editing SGR files does nothing, and i have just about done everything to fix it. spent over 2 years looking for a solution.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited February 2016

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that without patching just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.

Editing this post
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options

If you are at 1.67 patch do not uninstall your game. As of today you can not download anything from the store unless patched to 1.69 :s

Wait, as of today? my last reinstall was last weekend... not using Origin at all, patched automaticallly to 1.67, no issues with downloading store content. Are you sure?
  • Options

If you are at 1.67 patch do not uninstall your game. As of today you can not download anything from the store unless patched to 1.69 :s

Wait, as of today? my last reinstall was last weekend... not using Origin at all, patched automaticallly to 1.67, no issues with downloading store content. Are you sure?

Yes positive as of this morning you will have to patch to 1.69 to download store content from now on :s

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877467/cannot-play-sims-3-since-origin-1-69-update-how-can-i-get-rid-of-the-update#latest
  • Options

Yes positive as of this morning you will have to patch to 1.69 to download store content from now on :s

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877467/cannot-play-sims-3-since-origin-1-69-update-how-can-i-get-rid-of-the-update#latest

Wow. right then. the worst thing about the new update is that your cant bypass the stupid launcher. that and mod compatibility.
    Definitely not uninstalling my games anytime soon then. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I'm at patch 1.67 and I just went in to check after seeing this and I was able to dl several items from the store that I bought in the past just to see if I could. No problem at all.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »

I'm at patch 1.67 and I just went in to check after seeing this and I was able to dl several items from the store that I bought in the past just to see if I could. No problem at all.

If you read that thread someone downloaded stuff from the store and is at 1.67 . They closed their game and when they restarted it all the store was missing.

Blunote00 also posted a pic where she had to update the game to download content

When people tried to download eps they had not installed after the 1.69 patch if they tried to go back to 1.67 origin uninstalled their eps. Looks like EA might be doing the same with the store.

Close your game and start it again and see if your download content is there that you just downloaded
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Sorry @CandyCadet, but that advice you linked to is both old and flawed in every way possible. That's 20 GB (not 2 GB) you are seeing and changing on that screen, a theoretical upper limit that can never be reached on a 32-bit application anyway. Changing that theoretical upper limit is not going to help.

TS3 has been Large Address Aware (LAA) on Windows with no involvement needed from players since Patch 1.18. That's as far as it can go, 4 GB (actually more like ~3.7 GB) is it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options

Wow. right then. the worst thing about the new update is that your cant bypass the stupid launcher. that and mod compatibility.
    Definitely not uninstalling my games anytime soon then. Thanks for the heads up.

I know. The launcher being locked into origin is the worst thing. It causes more issues with the launcher.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »

If you read that thread someone downloaded stuff from the store and is at 1.67 . They closed their game and when they restarted it all the store was missing.

Blunote00 also posted a pic where she had to update the game to download content

When people tried to download eps they had not installed after the 1.69 patch if they tried to go back to 1.67 origin uninstalled their eps. Looks like EA might be doing the same with the store.

Close your game and start it again and see if your download content is there that you just downloaded

ok....I closed launcher. I started game up with the exe as that is how I normally play and all my store content to the best of my knowledge is still there. (I own the store and probably 90% is installed.) The item I specifically downloaded was there. I didn't get any notification that I needed to patch up either. I've spent the last few days insuring that I had all items from the store and had no problems with dl'ing the few things that were missing. Most of those items were already installed in game, but missing from my storage folder for some reason. I just moved them from the downloaded folder to my storage folder to move over to external hard drive for safe keeping. I'm not gonna be a happy camper if they try to make us update to origin to get to store content or any other content that I bought and paid for. I will contact state attorney general to find out what my rights are.
  • Options
    I just did a test and started a brand new clean Sims 3 folder and installed one set that I just downloaded from the store.

I placed a few items from the set in a house then saved the game and exited Sims 3 altogether.

i cleared caches and relaunched Sims 3 and loaded the game.

All of the store items were still sitting on the front lawn.

The lawn before I saved
    Before_Save.jpg

(The rocking chair is from Supernatural EP)

The lawn after reopening the game.
    After_Save_And_Reload.jpg

• Options
    @bekkasan @Karritz glad to hear your stuff is still there. Now I wonder if this person who had all their content removed is patched lower than 1.67 ? waiting to see if the answer. That notice the store is giving about having the newest patch is vague so maybe guru will respond in that thread and fill us in what is going on with the store
  • Options
    @bekkasan @Karritz glad to hear your stuff is still there. Now I wonder if this person who had all their content removed is patched lower than 1.67 ? waiting to see if the answer. That notice the store is giving about having the newest patch is vague so maybe guru will respond in that thread and fill us in what is going on with the store

As I said in the other thread, is the user who is having problems seeing a notice about patching the game, or patching the store content? The content patch is necessary and is found in the Sims 3 folder in the ContentPatch folder.
  • Options

I'm sorry she is having the frustration and the others too. I don't know why the devil they cannot leave stuff alone that wasn't broken, and fix what was broken.....but, I'm not in charge of EA/Maxis and those that are don't use common sense like we sims 3 players do!!

If I'm making a new folder I pull my store updates content patch from the previous folder so I don't have to redo those patches each time. Maybe they have the old folder they can pull those updates from.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

As I said in the other thread, is the user who is having problems seeing a notice about patching the game, or patching the store content? The content patch is necessary and is found in the Sims 3 folder in the ContentPatch folder.

It was Blu that got the notice. , the other person just said all their store was ripped out of the game when she shut down the game,reinstalled the store and items went missing again when they shut down and restarted . Their game wont keep any store items installed
  • Options
    edited February 2016

It was Blu that got the notice. , the other person just said all their store was ripped out of the game when she shut down the game,reinstalled the store and items went missing again when they shut down and restarted . Their game wont keep any store items installed

I used to see that notice, or something similar, but it isn't there for me today.

EDIT: It is possible they are playing with the store and the Australian site hasn't been updated with that update yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll have problems if I try the same thing again. It is all just guesswork.
  • Options

I used to see that notice, or something similar, but it isn't there for me today.

EDIT: It is possible they are playing with the store and the Australian site hasn't been updated with that update yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll have problems if I try the same thing again. It is all just guesswork.

This is true they could be slowly hitting people up with 1.69 - Blu and I are in USA . not sure if Charlottesmom is too
  • Options

This is true they could be slowly hitting people up with 1.69 - Blu and I are in USA . not sure if Charlottesmom is too

I'm pretty sure @Charlottesmom is in USA too. I'm not.