Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm at my wit's end

Comments

• HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Does it have to do with whether or not you have Origin installed on your PC? I skipped it today, but spent the previous two days downloading and re-installing my Store content. I haven't tried to play the game yet, because I am removing the ebc folders as they reach around 200. I uninstalled Origin when they came out with the 1.69 patch. I sure am hoping I will be able to finish my reinstall and will still have access to all my content! or else I am going to be one mad wet hen. >:)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I've got Origin installed, haven't updated Sims 3 past patch 1.67 and haven't launched Origin for about a month on my laptop and probably not for about a year on my PC.
  • WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Agh... nevermind. Forum should have a delete post option.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I've got Origin installed, haven't updated Sims 3 past patch 1.67 and haven't launched Origin for about a month on my laptop and probably not for about a year on my PC.

I am at patch level 1.67 as well. I don't even have Origin installed on my computer and as for not being able to install Store items, that isn't true. (In my case). I just installed a random item just to check. It installed just fine. Also, I only use the Launcher to install items, never to start the game.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    It looks like the store content might require you to be patched to at least 167.I'm currently patched to 167 and only had the store content removed once when I reloaded and that turned out to be that I'd just swapped my Sims 3 folder for uploading and forgot to switch them back before loading the game.I'd suspected something was wrong when the intro video played and knew when I found none of my games were there and only had EA worlds to choose from to start a game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Hmm that sounds like something is terribly wrong. My PC is not a dedicated gaming rig, at all, and even after I just re-installed the base and ALL EP's (new for me, I only had like 4 or 5 before) my game runs pretty well. I also have over 5gb of .package files, and I dont know how much sims3pack files. I run an HQ mod on HIGH sim, and high details. There is a small amount of lag when I first open (rendering the CC laden house) but definitely not when I use the camera, its slightly choppy running it at 3. I don't have lot detail on high though, that might be on med as well as some others.

I would either go here into the tech forum, or if you use NRAAs mods try over there.

You should be able to run this game well, it might just need some tinkering.

It effects mid to higher end dedicated video cards which you dont have. It effects some cards not others and is not specific to a particular series of card. It can effect both AMD and Nvidia I already helped op in tech an people at Nraas have also answered op in tech on a few issues. They also answered op here in this thread @igazor. This problem was caused a patch which EA has not fixed. There is no cure unless EA decides to fix the game and fix the patch that caused it. There are several people in tech who tried to find a fix but one has never been found so it is up to EA to fix it.

You are kidding me :(

That would explain so much!! I was playing IP with no stutter on all high settings, got a replacement PC and then I play Bridgeport with 2 EPs and the game stutters any time I move the camera. SO I wonder if I got the bug the 2nd time I downloaded the update. Nonetheless it's extremely annoying having stutter when the game is barely using the PC's power.

It effects some cards and not others. Its not card specific either. It will effect card that are accepted to play the game that are older now. Its effects some new ones too. My laptop 700 series card plays fine and my 900 series desktop gets the stutter. Both games are on the 1.67 superpatch

Its not the 1.69 patch. This happened a long time ago. I forget which patch. I know that @chesterbigbird got the stutter with their 600 series card and I think they mentioned to me a 500 series card too. Both on the games sgr files to play the game. It also effects their new 900 series card which is a newer card than the game .

Yes mine is a 900 series weird thing is I had none of this in IP but after I installed on the PC o have it <. <
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    OP, I'm still playing the Sims 3 Pets on console instead.
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

Until EA updates the game, I've tried everything and nothing is working.

OP didn't ask about TS3 pets for console...
    igazor wrote: »
    I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Who said they did? I said that's what I've resorted to, to play.

That's my point exactly though lol. They are asking for advice on their game, THE SIMS 3 and you bring up TS3 Pets on console -___- This does not help the OP at all and I highly doubt they spent $2000 on a rig for a "last resort" which is not even the same game, no matter how many similarities there are.
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?

I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube Simmer with a completely flawless game though. They experience occasional lags, stutters, and glitches just like the rest of us.

NRAAS mods are a good starting point. Error Trap, Overwatch, and Mastercontroller will help to improve the stability and performance of your game.

I've tried all the mods and utilities you can think of, believe me. No dice. I had this same problem on my older PC with 8GB RAM, i7, Gtx 760 and I tried for AGES before just giving up. I bought all these games way back when I played on a laptop though, and I had to run on lowest settings anyway and was new to PC gaming. I guess either I didn't have the stutter or I didn't notice it.

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that without patching just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.

If you are at 1.67 patch do not uninstall your game. As of today you can not download anything from the store unless patched to 1.69 :s

I'm at patch 1.67 and I just went in to check after seeing this and I was able to dl several items from the store that I bought in the past just to see if I could. No problem at all.

If you read that thread someone downloaded stuff from the store and is at 1.67 . They closed their game and when they restarted it all the store was missing.

Blunote00 also posted a pic where she had to update the game to download content

When people tried to download eps they had not installed after the 1.69 patch if they tried to go back to 1.67 origin uninstalled their eps. Looks like EA might be doing the same with the store.

Close your game and start it again and see if your download content is there that you just downloaded

Mine also disappeared after the second update that I didn't update to but they were still installed just erased from the downloads folder.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @bekkasan @Karritz glad to hear your stuff is still there. Now I wonder if this person who had all their content removed is patched lower than 1.67 ? waiting to see if the answer. That notice the store is giving about having the newest patch is vague so maybe guru will respond in that thread and fill us in what is going on with the store

I'm sorry she is having the frustration and the others too. I don't know why the devil they cannot leave stuff alone that wasn't broken, and fix what was broken.....but, I'm not in charge of EA/Maxis and those that are don't use common sense like we sims 3 players do!!

If I'm making a new folder I pull my store updates content patch from the previous folder so I don't have to redo those patches each time. Maybe they have the old folder they can pull those updates from.

That person has not respond back so maybe they can tell us more if they post back . I agree EA should be fixing stuff instead of trying to lock everyone into origin which seems to cause issues for many .They brake more things than fix them . Complaints all over the forum about the 1.69 patch
    Hmm that sounds like something is terribly wrong. My PC is not a dedicated gaming rig, at all, and even after I just re-installed the base and ALL EP's (new for me, I only had like 4 or 5 before) my game runs pretty well. I also have over 5gb of .package files, and I dont know how much sims3pack files. I run an HQ mod on HIGH sim, and high details. There is a small amount of lag when I first open (rendering the CC laden house) but definitely not when I use the camera, its slightly choppy running it at 3. I don't have lot detail on high though, that might be on med as well as some others.

I would either go here into the tech forum, or if you use NRAAs mods try over there.

You should be able to run this game well, it might just need some tinkering.

It effects mid to higher end dedicated video cards which you dont have. It effects some cards not others and is not specific to a particular series of card. It can effect both AMD and Nvidia I already helped op in tech an people at Nraas have also answered op in tech on a few issues. They also answered op here in this thread @igazor. This problem was caused a patch which EA has not fixed. There is no cure unless EA decides to fix the game and fix the patch that caused it. There are several people in tech who tried to find a fix but one has never been found so it is up to EA to fix it.

You are kidding me :(

That would explain so much!! I was playing IP with no stutter on all high settings, got a replacement PC and then I play Bridgeport with 2 EPs and the game stutters any time I move the camera. SO I wonder if I got the bug the 2nd time I downloaded the update. Nonetheless it's extremely annoying having stutter when the game is barely using the PC's power.

It effects some cards and not others. Its not card specific either. It will effect card that are accepted to play the game that are older now. Its effects some new ones too. My laptop 700 series card plays fine and my 900 series desktop gets the stutter. Both games are on the 1.67 superpatch

Its not the 1.69 patch. This happened a long time ago. I forget which patch. I know that @chesterbigbird got the stutter with their 600 series card and I think they mentioned to me a 500 series card too. Both on the games sgr files to play the game. It also effects their new 900 series card which is a newer card than the game .

Yes mine is a 900 series weird thing is I had none of this in IP but after I installed on the PC o have it <. <

IP does not stutter on my 960 until high speed. I dont actually play IP I use it as a stuff pack .

That's my point exactly though lol. They are asking for advice on their game, THE SIMS 3 and you bring up TS3 Pets on console -___- This does not help the OP at all and I highly doubt they spent $2000 on a rig for a "last resort" which is not even the same game, no matter how many similarities there are.

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?

I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube Simmer with a completely flawless game though. They experience occasional lags, stutters, and glitches just like the rest of us.

NRAAS mods are a good starting point. Error Trap, Overwatch, and Mastercontroller will help to improve the stability and performance of your game.

I've tried all the mods and utilities you can think of, believe me. No dice. I had this same problem on my older PC with 8GB RAM, i7, Gtx 760 and I tried for AGES before just giving up. I bought all these games way back when I played on a laptop though, and I had to run on lowest settings anyway and was new to PC gaming. I guess either I didn't have the stutter or I didn't notice it.

All my games are on disc, and my original base game is from forever ago so I'm tempted to uninstall everything and just play that without patching just to test and confirm that it was a later patch. but I've uninstalled and reinstalled like five times within the last few weeks so I don't even know if it's worth it.

If you are at 1.67 patch do not uninstall your game. As of today you can not download anything from the store unless patched to 1.69 :s

I'm at patch 1.67 and I just went in to check after seeing this and I was able to dl several items from the store that I bought in the past just to see if I could. No problem at all.

If you read that thread someone downloaded stuff from the store and is at 1.67 . They closed their game and when they restarted it all the store was missing.

Blunote00 also posted a pic where she had to update the game to download content

When people tried to download eps they had not installed after the 1.69 patch if they tried to go back to 1.67 origin uninstalled their eps. Looks like EA might be doing the same with the store.

Close your game and start it again and see if your download content is there that you just downloaded

Mine also disappeared after the second update that I didn't update to but they were still installed just erased from the downloads folder.

I have has items removed from my launcher when there is an update but not all my downloads from the store just some. This person that posted stated all their content they downloaded keeps removing. Their game install is all disc
  • casseyshazeracasseyshazera Posts: 89 Member
    > @CandyCadet said:
    > It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting

Thanks for this link & info, i didnt know i could change it. Quick question, in case anyone knows,
    I'm running on a 4GB pc, its currently set to only use 2GB. Can i use all of the 4GB ram on my pc to run the game?, or maybe just upgrade it to 3GB?.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky
    Sims Kennel Club - Delta Aquilae Siberian Huskies

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
    AC 2, Dirt, SOD, Star Wars .... May The Force Be With You :)
    > @CandyCadet said:
    > It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting

Thanks for this link & info, i didnt know i could change it. Quick question, in case anyone knows,
    I'm running on a 4GB pc, its currently set to only use 2GB. Can i use all of the 4GB ram on my pc to run the game?, or maybe just upgrade it to 3GB?.

Do not use that link and please see igazors post on the bottom of the second page in this thread about that link
  • WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    > @CandyCadet said:

Don't bother changing anything. As someone else on here said, that post is outdated and misinformed. Where it says 2 followed by a bunch of zeroes, that actually means 20, and is a theoretical limit that the game will never reach anyway. As of a certain patch/expansion, the game already use 4GB if your system can handle it. Trust me, I was excited when I read that post, too. I tested it out and there's absolutely no difference no matter how much you raise the number.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The true danger on that interface with all those zeros in play is in accidentally reducing the number from 20 to 3 or something, which I believe might render the game unstable.

@casseyshazera - If your computer only has 4 GB total, then no you cannot use all 4 GB for TS3. Windows has to use a large chunk of that, how much tends to depend on various factors including which version of Windows we are talking about, as does anything else you might have running at the time. TS3 gets what's left over. If it's not enough for the EPs you have and the load you are running (size/age of world, what kind of graphics card, etc.), the game will not perform well and will crash or Error 12 upon trying to save after a certain point.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @casseyshazera just adding to what igazor stated above . Ideal would be to have a computer with 8gb ram.You need 4gb just to run the game and need extra ram to run windows, origin if you use origin and other programs. This will only work having 8gb ram if you have a 64 bit version of windows . If you have a 32 bit version of windows it can not access all the ram needed to run this game plus windows and other programs
    Thanks everyone for letting me know, Glad i didn't change it now.
    Sorry i missed that post, blond moment D:

There goes my hope of adding IP back into game XD , will have to wait till i get my laptop.
    Going back to the original topic, is it all higher end graphics cards?, I'm looking at one of the geforce 900 series, most likely the 970 (for future gaming and all), or is just completely random?.
    I got a friend running the 890 i think, and she doesnt have any problems at all, and thats running all the expansions.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    Do you have windows 10? That's what it use to do for me when I had Windows 10.
    edited February 2016
    Thanks everyone for letting me know, Glad i didn't change it now.
    Sorry i missed that post, blond moment D:

There goes my hope of adding IP back into game XD , will have to wait till i get my laptop.
    Going back to the original topic, is it all higher end graphics cards?, I'm looking at one of the geforce 900 series, most likely the 970 (for future gaming and all), or is just completely random?.
    I got a friend running the 890 i think, and she doesnt have any problems at all, and thats running all the expansions.

Add :The stutter seems to effect more desktop cards not laptop

Your welcome . Its probably an 880m card they dont make 890 cards LOL

970m laptop card is a really good card and I hear the whole TS3 game runs really well on that card. I have a 770m and the 900 series cards are better than previous series. I dont get the stutter on my 770m laptop . I only get the stutter on desktop
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    @phoebebebe13 , the GTX 970m is the card in the laptop you suggested for me, so that seems a stutterless one? I have no problem spending good money on a top of the line gaming laptop but could do without major issues. ;)
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    OOpsy. I changed mine from 2 to 4. Played the game briefly and my stuck college sisters finally made it home from Uni after being stuck in the 'Travelling Home' screen for days. It just occurred to me that I had installed NRaas's Traveller the day before; hence this is probably (without a doubt) the reason my sim sisters made it home.

@igazor, Should I change it back from 4 to 2? :|
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Add :The stutter seems to effect more desktop cards not laptop
    > Your welcome . Its probably an 880m card they dont make 890 cards LOL
    > 970m laptop card is a really good card and I hear the whole TS3 game runs really well on that card. I have a 770m and the 900 series cards are better than previous series. I dont get the stutter on my 770m laptop . I only get the stutter on desktop

Thanks for the help,
    Ah my bad, i know it was a high end 800 something lol, most likely the 880 then.
    Thats really good to know, the laptops i look at are all Geforce 970 :)
    Strange its only effecting the desktops.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    edited February 2016

This.

This game will never run perfectly, no game ever does, not even console games LOL.

My game lags on occasion as well, especially when in neighborhood view and trying to move camera around; it lags because the game is rendering all the lots. What else is it supposed to do? Of course it's gonna lag at least somewhat. Yes I get an occasional crash here and there as well. Doesn't bother me anymore as I ensure to save it after making any major changes.

In fact I finally got the Sweet FX modification to work (not Ultra but a step-down version) and my game doesn't even take a performance hit from it and looks... eye-poppingly amazing. Makes me giddy lol. :D

Again, if you love this game enough you simply have to work with it. That's what I"ve been doing (off and on) for the past 7 years. It is what it is. If you don't want to bother with it, there's always Sims 4, but who's to say that game will run perfectly after several more E.P.s etc? It's the nature of the beast and if you don't want to bother with it, you shouldn't be playing PC games IMO.

eta: and my desktop PC only cost $1100.
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Add :The stutter seems to effect more desktop cards not laptop
    > Your welcome . Its probably an 880m card they dont make 890 cards LOL
    > 970m laptop card is a really good card and I hear the whole TS3 game runs really well on that card. I have a 770m and the 900 series cards are better than previous series. I dont get the stutter on my 770m laptop . I only get the stutter on desktop

Thanks for the help,
    Ah my bad, i know it was a high end 800 something lol, most likely the 880 then.
    Thats really good to know, the laptops i look at are all Geforce 970 :)
    Strange its only effecting the desktops.

Your welcome.

desktops are actually a lot more powerful than laptop this maybe part of the reason why desktops get hit with more of the stutter.

the 970m is great if you have the money to buy one go for it!!! The game will run a a GTX 960m if you dont want to spend more money on the 970m .The 960m is about equal to my 770m
    @igazor wrote: »

Nope, they are still selling this game to new consumers and the $3000+ of DLC. It should work with current PC's and Mac's. Don't defend EA's shoddy business tactics.

There are games older than The Sims 3 that are still on sale, and devs are still patching them to work on new Pc's. If the game had been off the shelves for 2 years, that would be fair enough.

EA stopped optimizing cards in 2012. Two years before they even stopped development.

I have explained this to you already has nothing to do with newer cards. @chesterbigbird builds computers and has had this stutter on all their computers with different cards, some of their cards were not newer than the game and on the list of cards accepted for the game. This stutter issue has been around a long time. A patch cause the stutter and EA has not fixed it. Should they fix it ? YES since the game is still selling but I doubt very much we will get a fix so I will not defend EA for still selling a game they have not fixed. Telling people to use the 1.69 patch and not use all eps at once is just an excuse not to fix the game. There are many of us who have computers that can handle all eps and the game runs ( leaving out this stutter issue) fine. There are also many of us that can run the whole game and dont use mods. Yes we have some bugs and may use cheats to fix them but still dos not make the game unplayable . Not for me anway

add the Mac issue, people should not play on integrated graphics. The game does not do well on some integrated cards even pc not just mac. I dont know if EA will add the intel iris, it is still and integrated graphics card and should not be gamed on

Yeah, but there shouldn't be a need for people to change registry settings or get Nvdia to find the card etc. they should patch is so the game has it happen automatically.

I agree with what else you said though, and I'm worried they won't fix the frame rate drops that have just started in Sims 4 :(

I kinda wish they'd patch that too, but they won't. They can barely be bothered to patch certain fixes within a year for their latest iteration Sims 4. Ridiculous. Oh well, it's only part of the reason I refuse to buy Sims 4.

edited February 2016
    @phoebebebe13 , the GTX 970m is the card in the laptop you suggested for me, so that seems a stutterless one? I have no problem spending good money on a top of the line gaming laptop but could do without major issues. ;)

All the people I have seen in tech with the 970m laptop card say the game runs great on that card . Laptop is different than desktop and it seems more desktop gets the stutter. Desktops are more powerful . I get no stutter on my laptop and its a 770m

PS there is no guarantee no matter what computer you buy even if it meets the requirements that the game will run smooth. Every computer is different. You could have 10 computers all same make and model, some may run the game better than others of same make and model. Think of a computer as an individual person , we are all different
    edited February 2016

Well this figures. Good to know and TY for the info.

Dear EA: No matter what you do, I WILL NOT PATCH UP TO 1.69 SO TROLL TRY HARDER.