Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm at my wit's end

WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
I've been trying more or less constantly over the past week or two to get this game to a playable point. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to run a game that came out in 2009 at all max settings. And for the most part, I can. The problem comes when moving the camera. I don't get consistently low FPS, it'll just stutter and sometimes very briefly drop in FPS when I move the camera around. It gets a tiny bit better when I have High Detail Lots turned all the way down, but it doesn't go away enough to stop annoying me. And for gods sake I spent $2000 on my PC, no way I should have to do that. Regardless, at this point I just want to know if anybody runs this game without any lag, and if so, what the plum is your secret? Are there any graphics settings that just break your game or something when you have them up high?
Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
Origin ID: Eve0053
Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I've been trying more or less constantly over the past week or two to get this game to a playable point. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to run a game that came out in 2009 at all max settings. And for the most part, I can. The problem comes when moving the camera. I don't get consistently low FPS, it'll just stutter and sometimes very briefly drop in FPS when I move the camera around. It gets a tiny bit better when I have High Detail Lots turned all the way down, but it doesn't go away enough to stop annoying me. And for gods sake I spent $2000 on my PC, no way I should have to do that. Regardless, at this point I just want to know if anybody runs this game without any lag, and if so, what the plum is your secret? Are there any graphics settings that just break your game or something when you have them up high?

a patch caused this problem. I dont get fps drops at all but I do get stutter at high speed moving the camera. It effects some mid to higher end cards. Some people get it and some don't and its not specific to a certain series of card. This is why I mentioned to you in tech section to keep lot details on low . I doubt ea will fix this issue a patch caused since they are done with the game. My game plays fine at normal speed so I have just learned not to move the camera around if I use high speed. This is on my desktop GTX 960 . I dont get the stutter on my laptop GTX 770m.
  • Options
    GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    Hmm that sounds like something is terribly wrong. My PC is not a dedicated gaming rig, at all, and even after I just re-installed the base and ALL EP's (new for me, I only had like 4 or 5 before) my game runs pretty well. I also have over 5gb of .package files, and I dont know how much sims3pack files. I run an HQ mod on HIGH sim, and high details. There is a small amount of lag when I first open (rendering the CC laden house) but definitely not when I use the camera, its slightly choppy running it at 3. I don't have lot detail on high though, that might be on med as well as some others.

I would either go here into the tech forum, or if you use NRAAs mods try over there.

You should be able to run this game well, it might just need some tinkering.

Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmm that sounds like something is terribly wrong. My PC is not a dedicated gaming rig, at all, and even after I just re-installed the base and ALL EP's (new for me, I only had like 4 or 5 before) my game runs pretty well. I also have over 5gb of .package files, and I dont know how much sims3pack files. I run an HQ mod on HIGH sim, and high details. There is a small amount of lag when I first open (rendering the CC laden house) but definitely not when I use the camera, its slightly choppy running it at 3. I don't have lot detail on high though, that might be on med as well as some others.

I would either go here into the tech forum, or if you use NRAAs mods try over there.

It effects mid to higher end dedicated video cards which you dont have. It effects some cards not others and is not specific to a particular series of card. It can effect both AMD and Nvidia I already helped op in tech an people at Nraas have also answered op in tech on a few issues. They also answered op here in this thread @igazor. This problem was caused a patch which EA has not fixed. There is no cure unless EA decides to fix the game and fix the patch that caused it. There are several people in tech who tried to find a fix but one has never been found so it is up to EA to fix it.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have a few minor problems depending on the "world" and how much is going on. I too, have a higher end computer BUT with everything installed and running there are issues at high settings and high speed. I've noticed personally that Seasons and Pets cause the most trouble for me so I have Pets uninstalled and seasons mostly turned off except for story telling. Also Island Paradise, Lucky Palms and probably others have lag due to stuck sims and although Overwatch mod helps there are still occasionally stutters for a bit before the mod resolves it. I mostly play at normal speed as well so there's not a huge issue.

Also, I'll add I have the GTX 980M video card and I think having post rendering on high causes higher incidence of lag in my experience.
  • Options
    I have a few minor problems depending on the "world" and how much is going on. I too, have a higher end computer BUT with everything installed and running there are issues at high settings and high speed. I've noticed personally that Seasons and Pets cause the most trouble for me so I have Pets uninstalled and seasons mostly turned off except for story telling. Also Island Paradise, Lucky Palms and probably others have lag due to stuck sims and although Overwatch mod helps there are still occasionally stutters for a bit before the mod resolves it. I mostly play at normal speed as well so there's not a huge issue.

Also, I'll add I have the GTX 980M video card and I think having post rendering on high causes higher incidence of lag in my experience.

Seasons causes a lot of people issues at high speed when the snow is really heavy. It will jam so I dont put the game on high speed when it snows heavy. like you I play at normal speed, Im a pause player.When I use high speed I dont move the camera so the stutter does not really effect me on my desktop as long as I am in normal speed. I dont get stutter on my laptop at all. I play without mods. IP is just messed up for everyone. LP plays fine for me. According to others that dont play with mods The key to pets is to have pets turned disabled in the launcher from generating too many pets in the game so they wont get stuck. Someone told me that who does not play with mods. My current laptop game does not have pets installed.
  • Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have no lag in my game. The world I made is perfectly routed however and I have mods. I also have some quality cc aswell. There is a fps limiter I use that helps the game run more efficient and lowers my GPU temps. I forget the name of it but it helps a lot.
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Options
    SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    I have a laptop (all EPs installed, no stuff packs but lots of Store Content, CC free), and it only lags with Create-A-Style in Build-Buy Mode:D On my gaming PC, it lags a lot more because it has tons of CC installed... So I guess it just depends on how much content you have?
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @igazor wrote: »
    I think the OP's expectations for how smoothly a 2009 game that has been out of development for over two years will run on a higher end 2016 (or something similar) computer and graphics card are a bit high. It should be playable, it's not going to be perfect, and there are going to be tradeoffs and workarounds needed.

Nope, they are still selling this game to new consumers and the $3000+ of DLC. It should work with current PC's and Mac's. Don't defend EA's shoddy business tactics.

There are games older than The Sims 3 that are still on sale, and devs are still patching them to work on new Pc's. If the game had been off the shelves for 2 years, that would be fair enough.

EA stopped optimizing cards in 2012. Two years before they even stopped development.
  • Options
    OP, I'm still playing the Sims 3 Pets on console instead.
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

Until EA updates the game, I've tried everything and nothing is working.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Nope, they are still selling this game to new consumers and the $3000+ of DLC. It should work with current PC's and Mac's. Don't defend EA's shoddy business tactics.

There are games older than The Sims 3 that are still on sale, and devs are still patching them to work on new Pc's. If the game had been off the shelves for 2 years, that would be fair enough.

EA stopped optimizing cards in 2012. Two years before they even stopped development.

I have explained this to you already has nothing to do with newer cards. @chesterbigbird builds computers and has had this stutter on all their computers with different cards, some of their cards were not newer than the game and on the list of cards accepted for the game. This stutter issue has been around a long time. A patch cause the stutter and EA has not fixed it. Should they fix it ? YES since the game is still selling but I doubt very much we will get a fix so I will not defend EA for still selling a game they have not fixed. Telling people to use the 1.69 patch and not use all eps at once is just an excuse not to fix the game. There are many of us who have computers that can handle all eps and the game runs ( leaving out this stutter issue) fine. There are also many of us that can run the whole game and dont use mods. Yes we have some bugs and may use cheats to fix them but still dos not make the game unplayable . Not for me anway

add the Mac issue, people should not play on integrated graphics. The game does not do well on some integrated cards even pc not just mac. I dont know if EA will add the intel iris, it is still and integrated graphics card and should not be gamed on
  • Options
    Runs amazingly smooth, and has a lot of content from the Store and various EP's already :)

Well at least I'm not alone in this. Trust EA to have made a game that's 90% more work than fun. Sticking to TS2 I guess.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

OP didn't ask about TS3 pets for console...
    igazor wrote: »

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.
  • Options

^^^this. I've come to terms with the fact that TS3 is never going to run perfectly, but it honestly runs pretty close to that for me so I don't have any problems with if. Like igazor said, there's going to be trade offs and workarounds and I guess you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Who said they did? I said that's what I've resorted to, to play.
  • Options

I have explained this to you already has nothing to do with newer cards. @chesterbigbird builds computers and has had this stutter on all their computers with different cards, some of their cards were not newer than the game and on the list of cards accepted for the game. This stutter issue has been around a long time. A patch cause the stutter and EA has not fixed it. Should they fix it ? YES since the game is still selling but I doubt very much we will get a fix so I will not defend EA for still selling a game they have not fixed. Telling people to use the 1.69 patch and not use all eps at once is just an excuse not to fix the game. There are many of us who have computers that can handle all eps and the game runs ( leaving out this stutter issue) fine. There are also many of us that can run the whole game and dont use mods. Yes we have some bugs and may use cheats to fix them but still dos not make the game unplayable . Not for me anway

add the Mac issue, people should not play on integrated graphics. The game does not do well on some integrated cards even pc not just mac. I dont know if EA will add the intel iris, it is still and integrated graphics card and should not be gamed on

Yeah, but there shouldn't be a need for people to change registry settings or get Nvdia to find the card etc. they should patch is so the game has it happen automatically.

I agree with what else you said though, and I'm worried they won't fix the frame rate drops that have just started in Sims 4 :(
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Yeah, but there shouldn't be a need for people to change registry settings or get Nvdia to find the card etc. they should patch is so the game has it happen automatically.

I agree with what else you said though, and I'm worried they won't fix the frame rate drops that have just started in Sims 4 :(

I have NEVER changed my sgr files on TS3 on any of my computers. I use Nvidia control panel

When you have a med level to higher end card vsync is a must on any game you play. This is with any game you play from any gaming company that puts out a game your playing. There is a reason nvidia gives you a control panel . Vsync prevents screen tearing and syncs your monitor and video card with the game so you dont over work your card. You as an owner of a gaming computer are responsible for learning how to use the computer to keep it running properly. This includes learning how to use your Nvidia control panel which you should be using with every game you play. This is not anything EA is responsible for.

sims 4 s for anther thread but the fps drops have been there from the base game you just may not have checked or noticed. Or you got your computer after all the add ons so you did not notice from the beginning. The base game is unstable and add ons make it worse when you have an unstable base. The sims3 base is stable, the add ons and faulty patches is where the problems started
  • Options

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?
  • Options
    CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give
  • Options
    CandyCadet wrote: »
    It's never your graphics card issue, it's your PC performance incompatibility with the game. You need to manually allow the game to use more than it's default setting
    http://cloudwalkersims.tumblr.com/post/63397207980/if-you-have-more-than-4-gb-of-ram-you-can-give

Never seen this before. I'll try it out. I have 16Gb and the post says to set it to 8, but I've heard 32 bit applications simply cannot use anymore than 4, so I'll start with that. For once, something I haven't tried.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

It effects mid to higher end dedicated video cards which you dont have. It effects some cards not others and is not specific to a particular series of card. It can effect both AMD and Nvidia I already helped op in tech an people at Nraas have also answered op in tech on a few issues. They also answered op here in this thread @igazor. This problem was caused a patch which EA has not fixed. There is no cure unless EA decides to fix the game and fix the patch that caused it. There are several people in tech who tried to find a fix but one has never been found so it is up to EA to fix it.

You are kidding me :(

That would explain so much!! I was playing IP with no stutter on all high settings, got a replacement PC and then I play Bridgeport with 2 EPs and the game stutters any time I move the camera. SO I wonder if I got the bug the 2nd time I downloaded the update. Nonetheless it's extremely annoying having stutter when the game is barely using the PC's power.
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

Who said they did? I said that's what I've resorted to, to play.

That's my point exactly though lol. They are asking for advice on their game, THE SIMS 3 and you bring up TS3 Pets on console -___- This does not help the OP at all and I highly doubt they spent $2000 on a rig for a "last resort" which is not even the same game, no matter how many similarities there are.

Thing is though, I'm never sure if how my game runs is "normal." I don't get consistent lag, just stutters, mostly when scrolling around. And I watch YouTube Simmers whose games are practically flawless and think: what the plum am I doing differently?

I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube Simmer with a completely flawless game though. They experience occasional lags, stutters, and glitches just like the rest of us.

NRAAS mods are a good starting point. Error Trap, Overwatch, and Mastercontroller will help to improve the stability and performance of your game.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    06Bon06 wrote: »

You are kidding me :(

That would explain so much!! I was playing IP with no stutter on all high settings, got a replacement PC and then I play Bridgeport with 2 EPs and the game stutters any time I move the camera. SO I wonder if I got the bug the 2nd time I downloaded the update. Nonetheless it's extremely annoying having stutter when the game is barely using the PC's power.

It effects some cards and not others. Its not card specific either. It will effect card that are accepted to play the game that are older now. Its effects some new ones too. My laptop 700 series card plays fine and my 900 series desktop gets the stutter. Both games are on the 1.67 superpatch

Its not the 1.69 patch. This happened a long time ago. I forget which patch. I know that @chesterbigbird got the stutter with their 600 series card and I think they mentioned to me a 500 series card too. Both on the games sgr files to play the game. It also effects their new 900 series card which is a newer card than the game .
  • Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    CandyCadet wrote: »

awesome! My game already runs smooth at 2 GB of DDR 4 ram. I checked the settings like you suggested and yup it's set at 2GB. Bumping it up to 4 or 8 GB certainly would be a great option for some. Thanks for the info!
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg