Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do ppl who dislike TS4 acknowledge its features are really great?

TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
Im just curious, because many of the criticisms are unfair and unbalanced. The sims 3 had features that were cool , that sims 4 doesn't have.But the sims 4 DEFINITELY has many features the sims 3 doesn't also that are FAR more impressive and fun to play around with.

I've noticed that a lot of the comments bashing ts4 are based off of it not being like the sims 3 :| . I have been playing sims games since about 2001 with sims 1 up to today and I hated sims 3. Sims 4 has brought back the fun and enjoyment of the game for me, but I understand that everyone has different preferences and likes.

But, with all that being said. If sims 3 had the graphic design you prefer, the creative and building tools that you prefer and you love playing it so much, then what was the need for the SIMS 4 to be JUST LIKE the sims 3? :(The sims 4 is not supposed to just like sims 3. THAT is really my QUESTION for those that just cant seem to say anything positive about the new game.

It's disappointing to see others who review the game, talk about the toddlers and whatever else feature from the sims 3 and not talk about all of the incredible new features that sims 4 does have :# . How anyone could spend a good amount of time in build mode, using all of the cool new features or toying around in create a sim building the perfect sims, with the option to fully mold your sims appearance and walk away from that with nothing more than a completely negative review is beyond me and seems really unfair and unjust.

Some things are really subjective,for instance, I really love the graphics in sims 4 <3 .They are very pretty and smooth and remind me of disney or pixar children's movies I have seen. Very dreamy, but very concise also. But other things are just unfair, like negative rating a game because of it not being like its predecessor.

Here's what I love about the sims 4

1) Build mode - I'm a good builder.I enjoy building homes for my sims and sharing them. Build mode is outstanding. I love the roof trim and the foundation height adjuster . I love the roof heights and the many other little details.I love how you can upload or download content right in your game instead of the plunky old method from ts3 and previous games.The creators really gave us so much creative control with build mode.

2)Create- A - Sim : Create a sim is flat out amazing. Before, our sims all had the same body build and we could either make them skinny or plump and that was about all. No true customization or making a truly unique sim.It doesn't stop there.Now we can even choose their walk style and the pitch of their voice.

3)Emotions - This is a phenomenal feature and if you play the game for 150 hours in 2 weeks like I have (lol) you will recognize how your sims mood changes and their BEHAVIOR adjusts because of their mood/emotion.Unlike in the sims 3, where you don't have emotions and you especially don't have emotions/behaviors combined and actually SEE your sim moping around because they are SAD. This is a feature that was desperately needed and now that I have it , I couldn't go back to the lifeless sims of sims 3.

4) Multitasking is awesome. My sims can watch tv and eat their food or eat their food and drink . Watch tv and run on the treadmill.

5) Graphics - Now this one is just a personal one. Everyone likes something different. Personally, the sims 4 is a much more visually appealing game for me. Colors are really vibrant and the worlds are really charming. What about the details like bees flying about? The atmosphere is so much more alive because of little details like that.

6) The categorization and search function. This is part of build and buy mode, but honestly, this is so great lol. It makes decorating and building so much more fun and it's a quicker process. I don't have to hunt down matching rugs and wall decor.

7) Expansion packs are better - " Get to work " is far more hands on and realistic than Ambitions from sims 3. The missions and tasks and the police station, hospital are so cool and neat and . You have your coworkers and mugshots to do if you're a cop and patients to treat and a "Real" hospital to go to if you're a doctor/nurse. You have a real police station. Omg and the jail cells with prisoners in them , yanking on the bars of the cell and making demands, is hilarious and a cute detail, that makes you feel like you're in a real police station.

8) Clothing - Omg! Clothing in TS4 is trendy, up to date and attractive. Seriously, the clothing the creators must really get some fashion expert to design these outfits of pull ideas out of magazines and catalogs, because the outfits and pieces are just really NOW and really cute for men, women and kids.

There is so much more to TS4 . Too much to go over. But my point is , not everyone has to like or prefer sims 4 but a more BALANCED review of everything that is there is much more fair and honest than just saying it's a terrible game that no one should buy.

Comments

• Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited December 2015
    Sims 3 is my fave, but Sims 4 has some features I wish Sims 3 had, such as multitasking and the club system. It'd make the game so much better than it already is.

Anyway, you're right. I share the same views. There are lots of games people hate, such as SimCity, and it's their right to hate it, but what I personally hate is how these people (when doing reviews, or just talking about it), always mention all the stuff they hate in the game, but never ever mention all the awesome features that the game does have. To me, SimCity does lots of things that I love, but have never been in previous SimCity games or even other city builders. In fact, I wish future city builders incorporated some of the ideas found in SimCity. Nobody ever talks about them though, which bugs me a lot. It has more pros than cons IMO, and I like the game a lot. It's a shame though that the negatives is all everyone ever talks about. All the good features is never appreciated and barely mentioned.
  • Options
    Kandy wrote: »
    Here's the thing- some things matter more to some people than others. Great, you love tr build mode, CAS, etc. And you don't mind the lack of terrain tools, CASt, and things like that. Great! More power to you. But for some people, those are game-breakers. For some people build mode isn't what they want it to be because of lack of terrain tools.

Why I'm trying to say is many things on your list are subjective. Yes, the body-editing ability is an amazing advancement. However, for some people many things that you find revolutionary in the game have actually been downgraded. Things that AREN'T subjective would be big complaints, computer issues, etc. But features, much of the time, are subjective.

I understand and fully get all of those things. Which is why I asked the question that i asked. Like, sure some features you feel like you can't do without. But, theres also a balance where you can recognize that a game does have features have have improved and expanded gameplay and capabilities in build/buy and play mode. For me, my issue is not people not loving every single thing about the game, its when it's a full on negative review, suggesting that other people not buy a game because of toddlers not being there or because you cant change the color or style of a wallpaper. Like, there are just so many OTHER things in game that balance it all out.

• Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    I think the problem is that players from the sims expected the sims 4 to have most of the features that sims 3 used to offer AND the new features it has now. But since sims 4 was rushed, sims 4 only had the new features and took out older features that were also important. It makes sense why there was disappointment, because as a player who has been playing the sims for many years, you expect the next installment of the game to build off from the predecessor, not just be almost entirely a new game with very limited things. Thankfully, the sims 4 team is making an effort and I think we can almost all see that in someway. Still, there is still more work to be done.

tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    tobumon wrote: »
    Sims 3 is my fave, but Sims 4 has some features I wish Sims 3 had, such as multitasking and the club system. It'd make the game so much better than it already is.

Anyway, you're right. I share the same views. There are lots of games people hate, such as SimCity, and it's their right to hate it, but what I personally hate is how these people (when doing reviews, or just talking about it), always mention all the stuff they hate in the game, but never ever mention all the awesome features that the game does have. To me, SimCity does lots of things that I love, but have never been in previous SimCity games or even other city builders. In fact, I wish future city builders incorporated some of the ideas found in SimCity. Nobody ever talks about them though, which bugs me a lot. It has more pros than cons IMO, and I like the game a lot. It's a shame though that the negatives is all everyone ever talks about. All the good features is never appreciated and barely mentioned.

This. So . Much. I don't know, I just feel like it's unfair . When there have been truly remarkable, upgraded features added to a game and for one reason or another there is something you dislike, it doesn't mean you have to write if off as garbage. To me, its just dishonest.

None of it takes away from my enjoyment of the game however, I play it for hours and hours and really feel like I know my sims because I get to see how they feel. I really enjoy that.

Every game deserves a balanced review.Like, if there's NOTHING good or redeemable about it , then fine.Write out a totally negative review, never saying anything positive.But with the ts4, there are features and details there that are just really, really nice.
  • Options
    TeladisTeladis Posts: 82 Member
    Sims 4 has many things my wife and I like. The problem is that what sims 4 offers is not enough of a change from the tried and true way of doing things.

No Co Op at all, when console version had it. Can we like expanded the Sims game some? Many couples, and family enjoy the Sims. The fact that this could double the profits for them is a good thing. I would have to buy two copies of the sims for her and I and I would gladly do it. If they had co op.

How they handle Kids is just..blah.

The lack of weather and pets in a base game is sad at this point. We are getting charged for content that we had before in other games. Sims 3 I could let it passed but the way sims 4 turned out. I am drawing the line. Expansion should expand the franchise. Not give us things we had before.

So as a consumer, I just can't support the company vision of the sims 4. I am a Gamer and a Simmer. I play many many games, and The sims is the only game that I play that wants me to pay for key features that was in the past games. It is just crazy. (not to say other games have not done it, but would love to see examples of games that do it as huge as sims, and seems to be accepted.)
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    Kandy wrote: »
    Here's the thing- some things matter more to some people than others. Great, you love tr build mode, CAS, etc. And you don't mind the lack of terrain tools, CASt, and things like that. Great! More power to you. But for some people, those are game-breakers. For some people build mode isn't what they want it to be because of lack of terrain tools.

Why I'm trying to say is many things on your list are subjective. Yes, the body-editing ability is an amazing advancement. However, for some people many things that you find revolutionary in the game have actually been downgraded. Things that AREN'T subjective would be big complaints, computer issues, etc. But features, much of the time, are subjective.

I understand and fully get all of those things. Which is why I asked the question that i asked. Like, sure some features you feel like you can't do without. But, theres also a balance where you can recognize that a game does have features have have improved and expanded gameplay and capabilities in build/buy and play mode. For me, my issue is not people not loving every single thing about the game, its when it's a full on negative review, suggesting that other people not buy a game because of toddlers not being there or because you cant change the color or style of a wallpaper. Like, there are just so many OTHER things in game that balance it all out.

While I understand your point (biased reviews are the worst :confused: it doesn't do the game justice to JUST list the negative features), I have to disagree with your last point. Yes, TS4 has improved on some things (CAS for one), I think for some people those things don't balance out the negative things in the game. For instance, some people don't feel they have the freedom they used to, and the good features in the game just don't balance that out for them. Again, it's fair to state the negative features of a game, if you're not omitting positive ones (as well as the other way around) But if you don't see anything good with the game (or vice versa) a negative review is to be expected.

I really do think it's all subjective. There's no way to say for certain whether or not Build Mode is a good thing, because people expect different things out of it. Just like for most features, there's no way to say that it's a good or bad feature for everyone else.

But back to the original post (as that was more about reviews) Yes, more balanced reviews would be preferred. The point of most reviews are to inform prospective players about the game. And all positive or completely negative reviews won't do the viewer justice. But I do think if someone feels negatively towards the game, they should feel free to make a negative review (not saying that you said they couldn't). I understand your frustration. It can be hard to see a game you love be biased against and bashed. But I think it's best just to keep your head high and take reviews like that with a grain of salt. Criticism is great, bashing is not. And just keep in mind that some people will find no faults with the game, others no strengths.

Also, good post, @RARAW.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2015
    To see many of it's features you would have to buy all the packs and many of us Family players are not buying the packs until they add the toddlers as there isn't much point if they never add them. The most I can be entertained without the family intact is a day or two with a new pack then I want to fall back on my regular play and of course Sims 4 does not deliver my regular play - so not much to say about it. So it is really not fair to the game for me to even attempt saying very much about the game in general - seeing as long as I am unhappy with it in principle i will be less likely to even notice any of the perks or what ever.

Asking someone who is not happy with the base game what they think of the game is really never a good idea. I just feel very sad the 4 th rendition of this game I have so loved for the last 16 years makes me so disappointed after all this time. I always looked so forward to the next generation of Sims game series and never expected them to cut out some of the life stages of a game called THE SIMS - after all they are THE SIMS and should be the least we could expect was all the life stages present and accounted for before all else. So it is shocking to me and players like me. It is hard to get past that for many of us.

So no, I could never give the game a fair evaluation for it's merits - it just would not be fair to what has been done in the game - most of which if I see it - it is through trailers and reviews, not personal experience. I leave the judgments to those actually playing it and enjoying it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    bubbleplaybubbleplay Posts: 18 New Member
    Gamers have different opinions, and they can express what they love what they hate (it, why they hate ts4) but some peoples are really obsessed by ts4 and they live in TS4 threads and say how much they hate ts4 everyday. I mean all day for days for over 1 year ..over and over and over like a broken records. They say it is an opinion but it seems obsession. If they really love Ts3 I hope they play ts3 rather than live ts4 forum repeating again again again .
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    There have been good and bad points in all the Sims game, but so far, I find Sims 4 for me, is lacking the most.

1&2. Build Mode and CAS are far superior to me in TS4. They're easier to use and fun. But...it's limited. The wallpapers, the furniture colors have no customization options and everything ends up looking the same.

3. Emotions. Angry poops to me are ridiculous. The emotions that are in the game really don't have a huge impact on my Sims' lives and personalities. As far as behavior adjusting, you can get them slumping along and looking sad, but they'll still do their daily tasks. In Sims 2, if they weren't in the mood for something, they didn't do it. TS4, they might get into an argument, but it's all temporary. They don't have any real personalities.

4. Multitasking for me is ok sometimes. But my Sims have a terrible habit of eating then following a household member into the bathroom to talk to them. Then of course, they get embarrassed. It's as bad as the angry poop.

5. Graphics. Of course graphics are better. We're talking about comparing a new game to one that began over 5 years ago for TS3 and 10 years for TS2. Now style, that's something different and everyone has a preference. I do prefer TS4 to TS3 for the Sims themselves, but I'm 50/50 on the rest.

6. The categorization and search button is ok. The idea of it is great, but I still often can't find a lot of things, especially lately, trying to find holiday items. Even just putting the word "holiday" in always only comes up with the dining room holiday table. It's a great idea, like I said, but it needs work.

7. I really don't think expansion packs are better. GTW jobs are repetitious and that gets boring very quickly. In my opinion, TS2 had the most fully developed packs, with TS3 offering a lot of hybrids, though they did come up with Ambitions which was new, as well as others. TS3 did have some great ideas. I just wished they'd developed some of them more.

TS4 I ended up getting Get Together as a gift, though I didn't really want it. So far, it offers some cute things, but for me, again, the groups/cliques will get old pretty quickly. The new world is lovely, but could use more empty lots. It certainly hasn't been a game changer for me.

8. Clothing is very subjective. Frankly, each franchise offered what was considered in style at the time, and this time around, they're doing a pretty good job. Though again, you're stuck with the colors you're offered and some outfits can't be put together because there's no way to make the colors complement or match each other well enough. Clashing colors are just a pain to me.

Whether or not players like a game or particular feature is extremely subjective. Most players look at the pros and cons and decide for themselves whether a game is worth playing or not. It's a highly individual choice.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Your basically me! I really didnt get on with sims 3. Sims 4 has been a dream for me. I love it so much more and find myself getting way more attached to my sims than in previous games.
    bubbleplay wrote: »
    Gamers have different opinions, and they can express what they love what they hate (it, why they hate ts4) but some peoples are really obsessed by ts4 and they live in TS4 threads and say how much they hate ts4 everyday. I mean all day for days for over 1 year ..over and over and over like a broken records. They say it is an opinion but it seems obsession. If they really love Ts3 I hope they play ts3 rather than live ts4 forum repeating again again again .

^this. I think everyone has a right to dislike the game. And as a simmer who loves sims 4 I still believe they should be heard. I share some of their opinions (like toddlers) and disagree with some (like open world, Its the last thing i'd want back in the game). I think for some the fact features are missing means they cannot find any love for multi tasking, emotions and everything else that others love so much about the game.

Get togetether has been an amazing addition. I don't think i'd be able to play with-ought it now! They are trying new things with this release and i really appreciate the effort they are putting in. This may well mean they have put free things like toddlers on hold in favour of bigger things. But to me the recent patch introducing the free group function prior to get to work tells me they may probably do something similar with toddlers (put a more basic version in a patch and expand on them for the EP). I'm more excited about whats comiging next for this game than any of the past ones. With three i knew roughly what they would be doing because it had already been done (mostly) in 2.
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Almost always those that dislike the Sims 4 do have things they like about the Sims 4. Just the prejudice assumptions about people make others focus on the negative part of topics all over the Sims 4 boards. So I find opinions towards other Simmers unbalanced. Yes there are things I like the Sims 4, but they aren't one of the things mentioned in the first post. They are different things and more narrowed down things. A few of the things being basements, the look of children, pregnancy stage, breast feeding, ability to visit other neighborhoods, and the colored pool water colors. Basically you don't have to like 100% of things in the Sims 4 to be considered balanced. There are some Simmers like myself that refuse to be put in a "side" that are on the fence about the Sims 4 that can list both pros and cons of the game without caring what other Simmers think. I don't think everything thinks they have the freedom to do that, but it is possible to do while being respectful towards others. It just takes patience. But I even have moments when the flame wars get too much for me. The Sims 1, 2, and 3 boards are much nicer and calmer to be around.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2015
    @TDU90, I have to disagree with you about some of the features being better than Sims 3, Sims 4 has less features than Sims 3 to start with. The CAS, some of the building tools are nice but Sims 4 is still incomplete because it lacks features and I am not just talking toddlers here. It has no editing tools that would allow me to tinker with elevation of my lots, no lots or neighborhood creator so you are stuck with static neighborhoods and not a whole lot of colors as well. While the game may run it just lacks major features that would up Sims 4 rep. EA/Maxis can add all the items it want but it still lacks IMHO. Most games expand on older versions by adding new features and leaving features that was popular in the older versions and I do play a lot of games and I also played Sims 1 up to present.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Eh - don't let that nonsense from earlier upset you, @Scobre - some simmers are cool - some are not. It's just that simple.

Oh, and for the record, I don't hang out in the TS4 boards much - but I do venture in occasionally to see what has been changed, what's new, etc. so I can see if maybe, just maybe, they've done enough with it to make it something I'd like to play.
  • Options
    limesim2limesim2 Posts: 71 Member
    I personally love ts4 style construction and graphic. I dont think i ever be able to get back to previous game.
    1te362z.jpg
    6plIJiR.jpg
    ZtuOwzx.jpg
    duhAHJo.jpg
    jihdB10.png
    BUtXCUq.png
    nwFliSg.png

• Options
    OP and how many disappointed players have you engaged with and really listened to before the judgements of what you feel are 'unfair' complaints begin? As someone who socialises with lots of people who love the game and who dislike it and every position in between very rarely do I find anyone who is just all criticism or all praise. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the game but not on the player/customer. You'll find that reinforced in the rules here.

The big problem within the community since TS4 is the constant judgements of others based on subjective opinions. Love the game? Great. Enjoy it :) But there's no need to kick those fellow simmers who are already down by no fault of their own. Maxis/EA are responsible for a rushed, incomplete game being pushed onto the market before it was ready. They made the huge cuts rather than to continue working on the game. Don't 'punish' others who find their play style or enjoyment impinged on or eliminated by those cuts caused by mistakes the company behind the game made during development. Perhaps instead of seeking to do that you could support your fellow simmers who weren't as lucky as you were in being catered to in TS4 yet.

I don't know why you're so upset. I haven't called anyone names or talked about anyones personal character . Umm, my opinion is strictly about ignoring positives of a game, any game in a review or a critique and not focusing on both pros and cons . I feel like any review should be fair. I already said sims 3 has good points and so does sims 4. I would never tell anyone not to buy sims 3 or that it isn't a good game because it's not the right one for me. I would list good and bad.

• Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    TDU90 wrote: »
    OP and how many disappointed players have you engaged with and really listened to before the judgements of what you feel are 'unfair' complaints begin? As someone who socialises with lots of people who love the game and who dislike it and every position in between very rarely do I find anyone who is just all criticism or all praise. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the game but not on the player/customer. You'll find that reinforced in the rules here.

The big problem within the community since TS4 is the constant judgements of others based on subjective opinions. Love the game? Great. Enjoy it :) But there's no need to kick those fellow simmers who are already down by no fault of their own. Maxis/EA are responsible for a rushed, incomplete game being pushed onto the market before it was ready. They made the huge cuts rather than to continue working on the game. Don't 'punish' others who find their play style or enjoyment impinged on or eliminated by those cuts caused by mistakes the company behind the game made during development. Perhaps instead of seeking to do that you could support your fellow simmers who weren't as lucky as you were in being catered to in TS4 yet.

I don't know why you're so upset. I haven't called anyone names or talked about anyones personal character . Umm, my opinion is strictly about ignoring positives of a game, any game in a review or a critique and not focusing on both pros and cons . I feel like any review should be fair. I already said sims 3 has good points and so does sims 4. I would never tell anyone not to buy sims 3 or that it isn't a good game because it's not the right one for me. I would list good and bad.

SparkFairy doesn't sound upset to me - that's your judgment, not reality. My question would be who is it you are talking about? What reviewer?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top