Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LEAKED! Early Gameplay of the Sims 4 + new information.

Comments

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Interesting to see that video surface. It was a lighting experiment that Chi and I were working on. It was actually done pretty late in the development, using the assets that ended up in the final game. We used an external 3d engine called Unity 3D, which is available to anyone to use. We wanted to see what we could do to push/improve the lighting in our own TS4 engine. Some of our discoveries we implemented and some we realized we couldn’t, just because our game is not static, players can remove and add elements which causes a lot of challenges on the lighting side. The grass and things like that are standard in Unity for high performance machines (and look lovely in screenshots), but the vast majority of our players would never see it as their machine specs are not high enough.
    this we already know which this game is targeting "low ending machines" this is not new and also probably this game more easy to make "cheap content" more fast since "less details means save time and budget.

really when i see that video and the difference in quality of graphics i really ashtonite on how the game was toned down for the sake of "low ending machines and for the sake of "save budget and get more "speed fast content" at the cost of quality, what we are getting with all the packs.

tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    [
    Interesting to see that video surface. It was a lighting experiment that Chi and I were working on. It was actually done pretty late in the development, using the assets that ended up in the final game. We used an external 3d engine called Unity 3D, which is available to anyone to use. We wanted to see what we could do to push/improve the lighting in our own TS4 engine. Some of our discoveries we implemented and some we realized we couldn’t, just because our game is not static, players can remove and add elements which causes a lot of challenges on the lighting side. The grass and things like that are standard in Unity for high performance machines (and look lovely in screenshots), but the vast majority of our players would never see it as their machine specs are not high enough.

Hi :)

Could you define that- "Not High Enough?" What is High Enough.

I miss seeing details in this game but were expected in the older games. :)

*raises hand* me too.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    oh wow.. first of all.. the open neighborhood! Hello EA!? Why?
    And then i completely agree that this was never ment to be a SIMS game, but its something that was decided later over an online game and thats mostly why this game is lacking, doesnt feel like a sims game as we know it and why it was rushed. They will never admit it and they come with a variety of different reasons each time, its annoying. Admit it already. No one ever prooved that lying is for the good and that it eventually will win. However, it prooved many times that it didnt. These things make me wish again they would start making the sims 5 with the intention of a SIMS game and listen to what the fans want and hear their ideas and solutions out. How come that mods with missing features are possible, but ea seems to keep telling us that it will be too hard.. too expensive is the right word. Just stop it, cause in a long term they will loose more money then what they will earn when they would do the things we ask them too. Ofcourse EA is a company that does not live by that and never will.. i know what ea stands for so it must be a complete different company that creates the sims for us from now on. And dont think they will ever turn to what the game was after 4 series and after they saw the amount of money it brings... its sickening
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    [

*raises hand* me too.

*waves both hands* me three.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Haiden wrote: »
    [

*raises hand* me too.

Me four and I was hoping the Sims 4 would push the limits a little more to encourage me to get a new computer.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    [

*raises hand* me too.

Me four and I was hoping the Sims 4 would push the limits a little more to encourage me to get a new computer.

I bought a new computer in anticipation... :(
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Thanks for shedding some light on the video @SimGuruMeatball !

I really wish the higher graphics were kept in the game, despite whatever telemetry had revealed about the majority of players' systems. The thing about The Sims is EA tends to push out so many EPs and content that, by the time they end development and begin the next Sims game, its years and years later, and players likely have computers with higher specs as compared to the beginning of the said Sims game. For example, now I can handle TS3 in the highest settings, as I have upgraded my computer after ~7 years, and the game looks really great.

I just don't think TS4 will age well at all with the humongous list of actions the developers took to ensure everyone could gloat over the fact they're able to play the game in "Ultra" settings, despite the fact ultra really does not constitute "ultra" for the year 2015. :confused:

Totally agree. If you have a game which is meant to last around 5 years it has to be at least challenging for tech otherwise by the time that 5 years has passed we will be playing on very outdated tech. I don't think that's a great start :(
  • Options
    I cant really recall, since I am not on the technical side, but I believe it was exceeding our Recommended specs and in the end we had more important features to implement that would benefit a wider player base. Sometimes I still wish I was working on console games where you only have one spec to target :) makes things so much easier.

Yes must do. But generally those console games are updated more often @SimGuruMeatball like other EA games for sports where you get one new game a year ;)
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited October 2015
    Here was the loading screen for it:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Some box art:
    sims4mulit1.png

Billboards:
    sims4multi3_zpsa55c27e2.png
    portadas%2Bsims%2B4%2Bolympus%2B3.png

Wrong. The boxart was from the original game. Also, the pictures look like they were either from Gamescon or E3. You can clearly see the heads of people at the computers in one picture. Also, the other picture looks like a mockup someone would do for a display.

I also wanted to point out that games changing direction is not uncommon in the gaming industry. This was also from one build of the game because they had several builds simultaneously.
  • Options
    I cant really recall, since I am not on the technical side, but I believe it was exceeding our Recommended specs and in the end we had more important features to implement that would benefit a wider player base. Sometimes I still wish I was working on console games where you only have one spec to target :) makes things so much easier.

True, it would have been great to have one high level across the board.

I hate bringing it up all the time but, TS2 did have that same grass for low end computers. The Sims, on lower end, had mitten hands and objects had less detail.
    I remember my joy when I found out that the cheap furniture really did have detail too and that I could actually see everything with just a small bump in my computer.

I, like so many, did upgrade and buy bigger, better computers just for this game series. I can't tell you how many upgrades I did just for CAW in TS3.

Thanks for coming back to answer, I appreciate it. :cookie::mrgreen:

Me too. I always upgraded my PC's around the sims. That's how much it influenced my spending.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    [

*raises hand* me too.

I did too. What a shame. There's probably quite a few of us who save up, buy, and upgrade our computers because we want an excellent Life Sim experience.

But, it ended up being great news for Sims 3. I have very little lag on the new machine, the game runs like a dream. It handles Sims 2 with my mondo-huge downloads folder just fine. Plus, it should do well with Roller Coaster Tycoon World too.
  • Options

Me too. I always upgraded my PC's around the sims. That's how much it influenced my spending.
    LOL same. I just haven't been with this time around. Paying off my student loan was more important. But I'd love to be able to build a computer. Honestly my laptop as of now doesn't have a strong enough video card for the game. I really shouldn't be running the Sims 4 anyway, but it does for some reason. I've had it for two years I think. The Sims 3 meets the specs. Doesn't help being disappointed with the life stages though. I really wanted a reason to upgrade still.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    seen things like Sim hair and clothing designed with physics in TS4, in addition to that.

Dynamic clothing and hair is sadly a long way out still for games in general. There are very few games out there that even tries it, mostly on console and even then it's very very limited.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I do like how the hair could move in the Sims 2. It is a shame it couldn't happen again with the Sims 3 and 4. I hope we get ombre hair color options someday and a color wheel. SimGuruDrake badly needs real purple hair too. I admit it is harder to make CC for hair. I tried recoloring some and it looked bad and ended up having that blonde effect to it. So I do appreciate the work that gets put into the game.

I admit since we are on the subject of hair, I was disappointed in the eyelashes even though it is a small detail. This CC really helps: http://kijiko-catfood.com/3d-lashes-curly-edition/ So was the same reason for hair why eyelashes had low poly to them?
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    seen things like Sim hair and clothing designed with physics in TS4, in addition to that.

Dynamic clothing and hair is sadly a long way out still for games in general. There are very few games out there that even tries it, mostly on console and even then it's very very limited.

Would more detailed skin textures have pushed things too far? Do you know the reasoning behind having them the way they are now? It's funny to me how much a little bit more detail increases the beauty of sims. Even for "Maxis Match" skins.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I just hope the dev who had to take this info down didn't get in trouble?

Probably not, unless he was under some kind of NDA that lasts forever the most EA can do is ask him to remove the content, or restrict access.

Seems like he already put a password on his site, this is Patrick Kelly 2.0
    NDAs are legally binding contracts so it's safe to assume he got in trouble.

I know what a nondisclosure agreement is, and I find it highly unlikely that he would be under one. How long would the parameters go? Forever? No, had EA made a nda that is still in effect he wouldn't have posted this in the first place.

All EA employees are under agreements that they cannot disclose info until they get the go ahead. I don't believe he is an EA employee anymore. Cancelled projects are not subjected to the same level of secrecy that ongoing ones are. That is the reason we have all of this info, because people are updating their resumes' and online professional portfolios to reflect the work they completed.

I do believe this guy was under a nda at some point, but they don't last forever and once the agreement has been fulfilled you are free to disclose info that is relevant. The people working on the online game have been off the project for at least 2 years.

sorry, my statement disappeared. now I can't remember all I said. but I know I agreed with you Drake, and felt that the dev locked his site out of courtesy. I'd do it too, especially if I thought they'd ask me back on a new project.

Post edited by windweaver on
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Just my two cents, and maybe this is not what you are talking about @Ayumap, but there are a wide range of preferences among Simmers in regards to the cartoony-realistic scale. More details usually imply more realistic, and it's obvious that they went the cartoony route with TS4.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    [

*raises hand* me too.

I did too. What a shame. There's probably quite a few of us who save up, buy, and upgrade our computers because we want an excellent Life Sim experience.

But, it ended up being great news for Sims 3. I have very little lag on the new machine, the game runs like a dream. It handles Sims 2 with my mondo-huge downloads folder just fine. Plus, it should do well with Roller Coaster Tycoon World too.

Yes I can't wait to give Rollercoaster tycoon world my money. Because they made mistakes and instead of pushing it out the started from scratch. I admire that hugely, making a better experience for the customer at the expense of the company will lead to better for both over time. I'm more likely to spend more when I feel I'm getting a good deal!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top