Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Castle of Cards: A Sims 4 Challenge

Comments

• Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have finally decided upon challenges for each generation, they are all under the umbrella of 'chaos'. It is in the rules on my blog that after one of your families has it's first eligible heir (you are welcome to play this as a matriarchy or patriarchy, or use any of the other types of legacy rules as stated by pinstar and thus your first child may or may not be the first eligible heir) you are to implement any of the crises.

As an example:
    I am playing this as a patriarchy, but if a family fails to have a male heir, the eldest female heir will take the throne.
    So, in the Spade Realm, Queen Lucinda gives birth to a baby boy. Although Grace is older, she is now third in line after her new brother. Due to the birth of an eligible heir, I must implement 'chaos' in the kingdom. Now I could choose to implement it in any of the four realms, all four, or any other combination (e.g. just Diamond and Heart Realm).
    The chaos I might pick (as the player I have a choice of options) Civil War.
    I then decide that Club Realm declares war on the hedonistic Heart Realm and so must follow the steps for Civil War.
    All crises and their steps will be found on my blog and I will post again when everything is finalised.

It is optional to use the chaos but I feel it is a way to liven up an otherwise potentially repetitive challenge, but should you choose to use this you must implement chaos at least once every generation once an eligible heir is born. If you want to use it every time a realm produces one (so essentially four times a generation) feel free! And if you have any other ideas for spicing up stories or the challenge in general, please let me know!
    For now, while I post and finalise, what do you think? Simple enough to follow so far?
    Post edited by lizzielilyy on
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    I really like how everything is coming along so far! You're doing a great job, @Lizzie1234! :)

To implement the chaos mechanism, I'd like to suggest something! You could have two lists - one with a list of crises, and the second with the permutations of realms that would be affected by a chaos (ie. one realm, two realms, three, or all four). People can then use a random number generator to pick between these as the need arises. And it might be good for them to also randomly generate the realms that would be affected at each given time, after they use the first two lists to determine what chaos would occur and how many kingdoms would be involved.

So to summarise, it might go like this:

1. Player rolls 8, which turns out to be war under List 1.
    2. Player then rolls 3, which signifies three kingdoms who will be affected by the war (out of a possible 4 kingdoms).
    3. Player then rolls Heart, which will be the kingdom against which war is waged.
    4. Player then rolls Spade and Club kingdoms respectively, thereby choosing the kingdoms that will be at war. The Diamond kingdom is not involved in the war, but is a neutral party.

This system definitely needs some fine-tuning! And feel free to disregard or edit this as you think fit. :)
  • Options
    @eXokamikaze hey! Thank you!
    Well actually, this fits in perfectly with the idea! I've been writing out each chaos (I have 10 at the minute) and they each have 10 steps to complete as a part of the challenge. I'll definitely use your idea of random selection, it makes it more fun!
    Also, how do people feel about the chaos having two potential outcomes for the realm/kingdom? Because I was tempted to make it so that if you did have War, depending on your actions and choices your realm would win or lose. Would people be put off if they lost and suffered consequences?
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    @Lizzie1234 Well technically since you're playing all realms it doesn't really matter because you always win and lose
  • Options
    @Lizzie1234 I'd like that idea. Realistically, there should be an equal chance of winning and losing! That's how it is in the real world. :)
  • Options
    @eXokamikaze @Julyvee94 Well it's easy enough to do with war if one realm wins, the other loses but I mean more like depending on choices made during the plague and famine chaos could make it worse not better for a certain realm. But I suppose you could play it out as a benefit or opportunity for other realms if one is suffering/weaker. I know in my challenge the Spade Realm would be happy to see the Diamond Realm suffer a few setbacks!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    @Lizzie1234 What I meant was that you as a player can't actually lose because you play the winner and the loser. It's like playing chess against yourself.
  • Options
    @Julyvee94 yeah I see your point, it does work. I guess I was just worried that if one realm goes through a plague and it ends up setting their progress back a bit that players might get disheartened. But you're right, it's all player-controlled to an extent and I hope it will make it more fun! :3
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This is a first draft of the chaos endured by War.

Chaos has struck your kingdom! You must carry out the steps required to control the problem and attempt to conquer it! Only time and the choices you make will determine your success. Use a number generator to pick a number between 1-10 and 1-4. The first is the type of chaos and the second how many realms it strikes. It is up to you which realm suffers.

1. War:
    War has been declared on the kingdom and it must be defended from invasion! The goal is to rally the troops to defeat this foreign power and keep morale high in the realm. The second number you rolled will tell how many realms join to defend the kingdom, and your choices will determine how well they fare.

During War, a King and his guards will fight among their soldiers and so must be treated as NPCs or moved out of the royal household.

a) Ready the troops! There must be at least 7 citizens from the realm(s) that are enrolled in the astronaut career.

b) Stock the supplies! The realm(s) could come under siege, make sure each neighbourhood has grown at least three good plants.

c) Deploy the soldiers! The citizens enrolled in 1a must now be moved out of their households and onto a new lot. They will remain here until they are to return from fighting. (If a soldier cannot move out since it is a parent/spouse of other household members, still use them but treat them as an NPC until the war is over)

d) Fund the campaign! Wars don’t come cheap and taxes must rise, each household will pay $2000 to fund the war.

e) Fallen soldiers! Not everybody survives a war, three of the realm(s) soldiers have died. (the player should take this opportunity to be creative with how their sims are killed off)

f) Low supplies! Sending food to the soldiers has left the realm(s) low, make sure each household has at least two good plants.

g) Field doctors required! A war has injuries, and the wounds are fast becoming fatal, make sure there are at least two l.v5 doctors in the realm(s) and send them off to war. (if you already had two citizens employed in the doctor career and at least one of them was l.v 2 before the war began, follow h.i. If not, follow h.ii).

h.i) Battle won! The war isn’t over but the kingdom is winning! Morale back home is on a high, make sure all households are wearing and displaying royal colours and at least one new citizen is conceived during the celebrations.

h.ii) Battle lost! The war isn’t over yet, but things aren’t looking good. Employ two new journalists to sugarcoat the losses, another soldier is dead from battle and three more citizens must be deployed to help the efforts – per realm.

i) King injured! The kingdom’s armies are struggling and now the king has been sent home with an injury (if more than one realm is involved then the player chooses which king is injured) – ensure there is a l.v 7 doctor in the realm to take care of him. (If there was already a l.v 7 doctor in the king’s realm before reaching h, follow j. If not, follow k)

j) War won! The kingdom won the war! Cheers and shouts run through the streets of the realm(s) as the people and their monarchs celebrate their success. During the celebrations there will be a burial for 3 more soldiers that were lost to the efforts and four women citizens are pregnant due to the constant happiness in the realm(s). The royal colours are worn by every household, decorate their furniture and celebrate the news of a new royal baby! (the player can decide which queen is pregnant but she must be queen of a realm that took part in the war)

k) War lost! Oh no, the terror and strength of the foreign power was too much for the kingdom’s armies. All but two soldiers in the realm(s) lived to tell the tale and there are rumours of a takeover. Move in a new family as rivals to the monarchs, bury the dead and dress their households in black for mourning. Hope that the king will recover from his injuries and that an heir will be born before the rival family can ignite civil war. For now, promote the two remaining soldiers to l.v6 astronaut (either branch) and hope that happier times will see a boost in the population before the foreigners can take advantage of a diminished realm.

What do you think? Is it easy enough to follow? The idea is that each chaos will take time and effort to get through and that each step should be completed in alphabetical order. Also, please note that there will be another chaos named Civil War where the realms will wage war against each other. This challenge above, is designed simply War against an unknown (or you could create/ make up one) foreign power. Heck it could be an alien race!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    @Lizzie1234 This war thing sounds great :) I can see you put a lot of thought into it! For myself I might prefer a few more complex rules for winning the war, now you only need a lvl 7 doctor to win (of course you have to complete the other steps too). Maybe something like "bring another doctor to lvl 6 within one week or sth like that ^^)
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @Lizzie1234 This war thing sounds great :) I can see you put a lot of thought into it! For myself I might prefer a few more complex rules for winning the war, now you only need a lvl 7 doctor to win (of course you have to complete the other steps too). Maybe something like "bring another doctor to lvl 6 within one week or sth like that ^^)
    Oh I'm glad you like it! :blush: Yeah I wasn't sure how tricky to make it, like how you have to have the l.v7 doctor before you finish step h if you are to win the war, if you make a doctor l.v7 during step i then you lose. Perhaps it could be tweaked so if you didn't have a l.v7 doctor before the war began, you lose the war? I might end up playing it out myself and seeing if it should be more complicated - or you could be my guinea pig haha! :p
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Wow @Lizzie1234! That must have taken a lot of time and thought - I can appreciate how detailed the War part is. :) I'm pretty tired at the moment, so right now I can't see anything that I might change about it. I may post any feedback that comes up if it strikes me later! :)
  • Options
    Wow @Lizzie1234! That must have taken a lot of time and thought - I can appreciate how detailed the War part is. :) I'm pretty tired at the moment, so right now I can't see anything that I might change about it. I may post any feedback that comes up if it strikes me later! :)
    I just want it to be accessible and enjoyable so I'm using my holiday to have fun with it haha! I'm glad you like it, thanks for the offer but don't worry if you're too tired or busy to come up with anything :3 I'm just happy that it might become a community thing :p
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This challenge is very player co-ordinated as the player will have decided their own purposes for each realm which may well differ to another’s (and mine). So note that these steps are deliberately vague but will hopefully convey a strong motive that should be carried out but designed to the player’s kingdom and sims.

Lack of Purpose

The people of the realm are beginning to lose focus. Once a realm united on its beliefs and values, nobody is really that bothered anymore. They feel that there isn’t any benefit to be enjoyed from living the lives they do and are tempted to seek their happiness elsewhere. Before the realm becomes a ghost town, or the monarchy starts to be questioned, something must be done to remind the citizens why they have always lived the way they do.

I will include my own example in a separate post to show how it would work in my kingdom. This challenge only uses one realm, although players can use any or all if they wish to!

a) Grumblings in the crowd: Instead of everybody gathering in their usual spots to carry out their routine, you will find these spots empty of people. People will be gathering in the most unlikely places to complain about their situation. Word is getting back to the monarchs, employ 4 citizens into the astronaut career and 2 into the writer career to attempt to control the situation.

b) A few leaders emerge: The more active grumblers in the realm have decided to take action in the hope of spurring on their followers. Have three citizens quit their jobs for a new, completely different career. Have each of the three then make five new friendships (there must be at least one friend for each of the three that the other two doesn’t know).

c) Sheep or shepherd: The friends will copy their leader and switch to that career, while the leaders’ spouses will also have a change of heart and their offspring will amend their aspirations.

d) Carrot or the stick: The player must decide whether to use punishment or incentive. Offer a $500 reward for every household member in a ‘purposeful’ career, an extra $1000 for teens and children with ‘purposeful’ aspirations, spend $5000 on improving the ‘purposeful’ buildings in the realm. Follow e.
    Or take $500 for every household member in a new career, an extra $1000 for teens and children who have been corrupted, arrest anybody found acting without the realm’s purpose in mind. Follow f.

e) Incentive vs Experience: While many families who hadn’t been persuaded by the grumblings of their neighbours, they certainly enjoyed the advance on their income and the new local hotspot that had been built. Tensions seemed to have relaxed and the undecided won over, but those who had switched careers refused to be bought out. No more citizens or children switch careers/aspirations but make sure that those who did are at least half way through their career/aspiration and are showing it off. Follow g.

f) Outrage and fear: Outraged and minus a few thousand simoleons, the three leaders are locked in a prison (treated as NPC or moved to a separate lot). The children and teens change their minds and revert back to their old ‘purposeful’ careers and aspirations while the older citizens refuse to run scared. All sims older than teen must find a new career that isn’t ‘purposeful’ and the leaders’ spouses must be at l.v 5 to release them. Follow h.

g) Finding balance: The monarchy can’t afford to keep buying out it’s subjects and so offer a compromise. There is room in the realm for more than one industry, more than one purpose, but on one condition. At least one child from each family must follow the purpose of the realm and if a building that isn’t for the purpose of the realm is to be built, permission must be granted and funds raised by its citizens. (Permission is granted by three citizens becoming friends with the king).

h) Overload: Punishment didn’t achieve anything but enraged subjects and confused children. Now that every working subject has chosen a career that doesn’t reflect the purpose of the realm, and will surely influence their children eventually, the monarchy has a simple choice. Exile every subject that doesn’t follow their purpose, or embrace the new purpose and completely revamp their realm.
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lack of Purpose in Heart Realm

The people of Heart Realm have become disenchanted with the idea of playing all day and being reckless since they don’t make much money from their lack of work. They would rather work harder and earn more, but this worries the monarchs as the citizens could become overworked and burn out – resulting in no happiness, no money and no progress for the realm!
    a)Grumblings in the crowd:The taverns, galleries and theatre are all empty of people. Instead they gather in groups at work and home to grumble about their lack of money and how Spade Realm mocks them. The Queen employs 4 new guards to patrol the work places and the King has his two best writers start producing propaganda about the success and happiness of the realm.
    b)A few leaders emerge:Three citizens quit their jobs as a painter, musician and mixologist to become a doctor, a businessman and a chef. They then each make five new friends.
    c)Sheep or Shepherd:The painter’s friends also decide to be doctors, his wife will do so too and their children will be interested in knowledge rather than the arts or romance. The businessman's friends and wife decide to work in business and their children become interested in social and money. The mixologist's friends and husband decide to become chefs and their children become interested in social and food.
    d)Carrot or the Stick:The Heart household funds would be decreased by $5000 to build a new tavern or theatre in the realm, or arrest people found working at the weekend.
    e)Incentive vs Experience:Ex-painters, musicians and mixologists become lv.5 doctors, businesspeople and chefs. Children reach lv.2 of their mental or motor aspiration and teens have completed their first level of their aspiration. Retail stores and bakeries are appearing in the realm.
    f)Finding Balance:If the citizens of Heart Realm wished to build a library, they would have to fund it themselves after at least three of them become friends with the king.
    gOverload: I would have the choice of evicting all the families in Heart realm except the royal household and beginning a repopulation program with sims that have careers in the arts or seek to have a pleasurable life, or I could demolish every commercial lot and rebuild areas for more hardworking, money orientated sims. I would also have to consider the impact on my royal family and their careers/aspirations. Would they even stay on the throne? Would they take the artsy subjects to a new world?

Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @Lizzie1234 This is amazing. I love how much thought you put into this :)
    You're so sweet, thank you! Just 8 more to do haha! :3
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    I just want it to be accessible and enjoyable so I'm using my holiday to have fun with it haha! I'm glad you like it, thanks for the offer but don't worry if you're too tired or busy to come up with anything :3 I'm just happy that it might become a community thing :p

You're being super productive - and that's amazing! :) Oh, when I said feedback it was just little suggestions to tweak things here and there. Ultimately you're in charge of this! And you're doing a wonderful job. :)
  • Options
    You're being super productive - and that's amazing! :) Oh, when I said feedback it was just little suggestions to tweak things here and there. Ultimately you're in charge of this! And you're doing a wonderful job. :)
    I just meant that I appreciate that you're tired! I want your feedback completely! Also, don't put me in charge, if it fails I need a scapegoat haha ;):joy: But thank you so much for your kindness :3 You have to keep me updated if you do one :D
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    I just meant that I appreciate that you're tired! I want your feedback completely! Also, don't put me in charge, if it fails I need a scapegoat haha ;):joy: But thank you so much for your kindness :3 You have to keep me updated if you do one :D

Aw! I understand now. It was just really late when I commented that's all! I'm not studying or doing anything apart from waiting for my results, so that's fine. :)

Of course I will! I'd love to try it out. But I know I have to do my legacy and the 100 Baby Challenge first. I'm super excited to try this out though! :)

Love seeing you update this! Keep up the awesome work. :)<3
  • Options

Aw! I understand now. It was just really late when I commented that's all! I'm not studying or doing anything apart from waiting for my results, so that's fine. :)

Of course I will! I'd love to try it out. But I know I have to do my legacy and the 100 Baby Challenge first. I'm super excited to try this out though! :)

Love seeing you update this! Keep up the awesome work. :)<3
    Okey dokey, ooh I bet you're excited, when do your results come in?
    Yay! Haha oh my goodness, so it'll be around a year when you're ready? :joy: I could never do a 100 baby challenge, I think I got to baby 26 a few months ago and got bored :joy:
    Aw thank you :D I'm working on another chaos at the moment :p
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Population Crisis

Morale in the kingdom is low and there are many potential reasons. There is, however, one result that concerns the monarchy and that is the population. The next generation is much smaller than the first and if the realm is to continue, it must grow. Something must be done to promote family values among the people.

a) Investigation: The King and Queen are split on how to tackle the issue, they both agree to disagree and even wager a small bet. The King decides to ask around to see what the reason behind low morale is, he makes three new acquaintances and two new friends (meeting five people in total). Follow b. The Queen decides to use propaganda to influence people, she meets two l.v 3 writers. Follow c.

b) Nipping the bud: The people told the king how they had money troubles but feared being too ambitious. He decided to encourage them to work harder and that they should take time to relax with their families, too. Have every young adult be promoted twice, every adult promoted once and give $500 reward to any household with an ambitious sim. Follow d.

c) Pregnant is the new black: The women in the realm are starting to catch on to the queen’s articles, they think they should get pregnant to be fashionable. Unfortunately, they think this because they think the queen is pregnant again! Every couple in the realm woohoo twice (not trying for a baby) and dispel the rumours with a l.v6 journalist. Follow e.

d) Rich and tired: The people in the realm don’t have as many money issues as they once did, thanks to the king! Unfortunately, they’ve been working extra hours and much harder so haven’t had time for their families. Have four women argue with their respective spouses twice, and have another four men flirt with other people three times each. Follow f.

e) Sigh of relief: The rumours were crushed and couples throughout the realm are happy in each other’s arms, but still no babies! The Queen ups her game and declares that she will personally visit all new parents in the realm to talk and discuss parenthood. Jumping at the honour of a royal visit, have two households welcome a new baby (adopt or get pregnant) and have the queen visit them both and befriend one of the parents. Follow g.

f) Competition: The queen has caused two new babies in the realm, the king must act fast! He offers a week’s paid leave for all new parents in the realm. In response to such funding, every household welcomes a new baby, with a set of twins and a set of triplets in the mix. Is this going a little overboard, the king thinks not! Unfortunately the royal household must now give every other household $800 as their parent leave and are forced to make it a royal decree. Now every time a baby is born in the realm, the parents must receive a week’s pay. Follow h.

g) Population Boom: The crisis has now turned into a success, with three more households having a baby and the queen becoming more popular by the day. Make sure there are at least 5 children, 2 teens and 3 babies in the realm. The queen should be friends with a member of every household. Follow i.

h) Population Overload: Now every household is having children and the money is fast depleting in the royal accounts. The king changes his decree so that new parents are only paid for their first child and only again if their other children are teenagers at the time of the birth. The king is losing popularity for his indecisiveness and frugality. He is disliked by a parent in every household. Follow j.

i) Crisis Averted: The population of the realm has been stabilised and the next generation secured. The queen won the bet and will now become pregnant herself, she will throw a party to celebrate and name the new royal baby after the first parent she made friends with.

j) You win some, you lose some: So the king won the bet and his methods repopulated the realm, but he has lost face and friends in the process. For losing the bet, the queen must now clean the castle top to bottom every day for a fortnight. Make sure that it is the queen that cleans every dirty object, give the ladies in waiting and servants two weeks off and hope that in time the realm will forgive the king.
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome! I love your creativity. Make sure your challenge gets added to the challenge list in the first thread of this forum ^^
  • Options
    @Julyvee94 thank you! Ooh I will :p
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    @Lizzie Maybe you could edit your first post here to contain all the rules and maybe link the chaos posts? Then people could read all about this challenge right away without reading through all of our praise comments to find them :D Or link your blog in the first post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top