Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    Last minute reminder: the poll closes tonight, less than five hours left to vote. We have a good number of votes in, but I did want to post a little reminder. I'll announce the winners sometime tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks for the reminder! =)
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited December 2015
    Time for the results!

But first a real quick reminder that when you vote you are supposed to pick a different story for each place. I think that is fairly obvious, but it is also stated plainly in the directions for voting each time I post them. I use the free version of poll daddy so I am somewhat limited in the restrictions I can really place on the vote. But I do monitor what I can. We operate largely on the honor system, but I can at least make sure that voting is fair in this one way. I will not name any names for whose story the votes were for, but I will say that I had to throw out some votes this month for violating this rule. I'm going to assume this was a misunderstanding at this point. Those votes were not tallied, so no harm done. But I expect the rules to be followed in the future.

The winners for November are:

3rd Place: Lost Dark Matter by @CathyTea

2nd Place: Welcome Back by @ra3rei

and...

1st Place: Still Waters by @MedleyMisty

Congratulations to everyone! I mean that congrats to the winners and congrats to each and every participant. You are all awesome just for sharing your writing with the world. We will continue doing to the superlative type of discussion that we started last month. I don't have mine ready just yet, so if anyone else is ready with theirs feel free to post yours before mine. :) Thanks.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Yay! congrats to @MedleyMisty for 1st place, I loved that story :) Also congrats to @CathyTea and @Ra3rei but also everyone else because it was really hard to choose this month :) you guys are an amazingly talented bunch!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Congrats, everyone! I agree with @Carewren123 and @JulyVee94 - so many great stories!

It makes it so fun to read, and so hard to vote! I'm really glad we get to do the Superlatives! Each story--and each writer--deserves kudos! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Congrats to the winners! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Congrats everyone! :D:);):p=)
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to everyone who participated for all the lovely submissions!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    Congratulations to the winners!!! :star::star::star:

I loved everyone's stories this month, so I'll definitely be doing some superlatives later. Everyone did just a wonderful job!
  • Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Yay! congrats to @MedleyMisty for 1st place, I loved that story :) Also congrats to @CathyTea and @Ra3rei but also everyone else because it was really hard to choose this month :) you guys are an amazingly talented bunch!

Oh my gosh!!!

Thank you so much, everyone! :) And yeah, I thought all the stories were awesome! I will try to get together a superlative thing when I have time. :)
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Congrats everyone!!
  • Options
    Emma-LeeXOXOEmma-LeeXOXO Posts: 549 Member
    Congrats Everyone :smile:
    sMggKkh.png

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Still no superlatives for the great stories from November? I guess holiday season does keep people busy, busy, busy... or maybe folks are just waiting for someone to get the ball rolling! *kicks ball down the side of the hill* Wooo, look at it go!

Layla's Lost by @MarkHarris17 - Most Surreal: The style and tone felt reminescent to me of Alice's trip down the rabbithole into Wonderland, going into this strange land and meeting these strange new people and never quite knowing what is going on but knowing that she needs to return back home at some point.

My New Life by @picklesthecat114 - Most Mysterious: This story was also quite surreal, but I had far less of a sense of what was happening until it all came together, despite the fact that looking back on it now, there were several clues in the images (the horns, the overgrown yard, that everyone ignored the narrator, etc.) Once you understand what is going on, and have that "Aha!" moment, it all falls into place. It was interesting to see the use of a real cemetary rather than an ingame one... somehow Grim looks just as forboding standing on a real tombstone, heh. I liked the last line, like a warning of the fleetingness of mortality and making sure to make every moment count.

Long Ways from Home by @Pegasus143 - Most Likely to Leave You Wanting More: I couldn't help but wish this was just a "chapter 1" or a teaser for the story of this girl's life... because the story of a runaway teen that is best friends with Grimmy would be absolutely amazing! Seeing all these little fragments of her life, I want -- no, I need -- to know how they all happened!

Lost and (Hopefully) Found by @DreamsInPixels - Best Use of the Theme in Multiple Ways: I liked how this story managed to explore the theme of "lost" in so many different ways -- lost objects, loss in a competition, loss from death, and the loss that results from the uncertainty of unknowing. This really resonated with me, because one of my close friends actually went missing several years ago, and it was months before any answers were found (dental records finally procured a body) -- on one hand there was a relief from finally having an answer and no longer holding out hope and living in uncertainty, but it is one loss turning to another. A beautiful story an an effective teaser, as well!

Lost Dark Matter by @CathyTea - Sweetest Love Story: I admit I had to go read the companion short story as well, because once I found out there was one, I simply had to know both pieces of the story! It was so sweet to see two characters that had experienced loss come together in their golden years and find love once again... and if anyone has haunted the Art of Storytelling thread, you'll know I happen to be quite a fan of Elders in the Sims, which just tugged at my heartstrings even more. ^_^

A Lost Cause by @IchigoUsagi - Best Presentation: I loved how this story was shot. The first two images of the hospital room that mirrored each other, but showed the passage of time in the age of the characters, that very dim-lit room when the rather gets "the call" that has the family photo on the wall, how much the narrator changes in appearance from her outburst at the funeral to when she's a runaway on the street, the blurry hospital exterior, and that final shot of the ceiling... so effective! I also just really liked how the story came together, like a snake swalling its own tail, full-circle. Very nice!

Welcome Back by @ra3rei - Most Amazing Sets/Photo-editing: Oh my sci-fi, that space station looked perfect! This one also gets "The Story That Has Just Increased My Reading List" because, as a fan of the sci-fi genre, now I simply must read "Derelict," to find out the whole backstory of Amelia!

Sofia and the Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo by @Spottydog714 - Most Likely to Cause Beverages to Come Out of Your Nose: Seriously, put the cup down before reading this or it could cause serious damage, because this story was hilarious! I loved the humor, its how I would imagine a murder mystery to play out in a fast-paced comedy variety show. Some of the lines were real zingers! It was really fun to see such a lighthearted take on the theme!

A Fine Time to Lose by @cully_c - Best Characterization: I really enjoyed this one! I thought that Jackson was so well developed, that the story just worked out perfectly. The reader kind of has a sense of how it is all going to end, but you totally understand the impact of it all because every piece you need to know about that character is given along the way... and with so few images and words allowed, that can really be a challenge! I just loved how it all came together... and I also love the presentation of the blog too, with "Dalton Anderson" as an actor for hire that "played" Jackson in some TV drama! That is such a creative, cute idea!

Still Waters by @MedleyMisty - Most Interesting Setting: I will admit to being a fan of things with a healthy dose of the supernatural or unknown, and the fact this story had something lurking under the waves caught my attention and held it immediately! *hides mermaid collection in the back of her closet* The world completely drew me in, and I felt hooked on each word from the little narrator. I also just loved the big reveal, the design was fantastic! I really enjoyed it!

What is Lost Cannot be Found by @Leoin202 - Most Tragic: This has some darker themes that might be harder to some to chew, but alas, its also one of the more true-to-life entries this month (sadly) because tragic events like this do happen. Parents abusing their own kin for dating the same gender, police brutality, suicidality when pain and depression after a tragic set of events becomes too much. There is a sense of somber honesty in this piece. It's very sad, but I think it accomplishes exactly what it set out to do.

Lost in Space by @mastressalita - Best use of Brave-hair in a Sim Story: Seriously, teen Madigan is rocking those red curls. If being an eccentric inventor or a space explorer doesn't work out for her, maybe she can apply for the job "Scottish Disney princess."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Oooh. Thanks for getting the ball rolling! superlatives has been on my to do list for a while now. I'll try and finish my list off today!
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    Layla's Lost by @MarkHarris17: Most shocking beginning. Did not see that coming! And the surprises just continued after that. I had no idea where this was headed (in a good way! Because every time I was pleasantly surprised to see where you'd taken me.) The Blue girl world was really unique and I would love to learn more about it. And then it ended up tieing back to the sims world after I figured she was stuck there for good.

My New Life by @picklesthecat114 : Most interesting twist. The entire story was a journey of discovery, what had happened, why, and where was she. I love how you don't really understand it at all until the end. And then her horns changed colors! Loved that! Angels with horns!

Long Ways from Home by @Pegasus143 Most Succinct Life. No wasted words. An entire life in just over 500 words. I love the way time jumps in this. We start off with this cute innocent kid and with two images and sentences, she's run away, and has with twins! The pictures complement the writing perfectly. And filled in the gaps. Never once do you feel that time skipped inappropriately and left out important character details.

Lost and (hopefully) Found by @DreamsInPixels :Best call to action! I want to call the number and help this woman out! I love how this starts with easy loss (lost items) and works its way up through the painful (death) and into the unbearable (not knowing). Agreeing with @mastressalita here too. Best use of themes!

Lost Dark Matter by @CathyTea : Favorite Ending. I loved seeing Liam learn to love again, to hear the birdsongs all through the application of scientific thinking and reexamining his assumptions. Also has my Favorite line: "What if its essential carrotness simply became absorbed [...]?"

A Lost Cause by @IchigoUsagi : Most Tragic. Really I cried. To feel your life was meaningless at the very end. That it would have been better for you to have died in your sisters place. I really really hope she lives and learns to forgive herself for living. So while this was most tragic it also left a tiny bit of room for hope. Which makes the tragedy all the more poignant.

Welcome Back by @ra3rei : Haha jk. . . well for me this would be my most photoshopped. Getting all those tiny view ports to show something...

Sofia and the Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo by @Spottydog714 : Most alliterative title. (I love alliteration!) No, I'll go with Best Mystery - as in this felt like a traditional mystery setting. All the tropes, but it played with them like playing dramatic music during the questioning. So also it gets Most Humorous! Also I loved the use of the reader "you" in this. I don't get to see second person very often.

A Fine Time to Lose by @cully_c : Character I'm most worried about. Oh my. Where to start. To have never failed and then failed here? Now? With her? I'm not sure he'll be able to recover from this and it worries me. A lot. Will he be okay? Really? Can we find out?

Still Waters by @MedleyMisty : Left Me Wanting More - I would love to read more from this tale. What happens now? Can I read the rest please? (Plus I loved the photo manipulations so you get Prettiest Photos as well. Now I've seen what you've done with Surreal Darkness and I can see you got this down pat, but the first shot sets the tone perfectly for the slightly fairy tale childlike wonder that followed.)

What is Lost Cannot be Found by @Leoin202 : Strongest Friendship. Although perhaps too strong? Another dark tale, but like A Lost Cause completely believable in it's darkness. I fear she's chosen a path I can't see her getting out of. So in a way gets the "Most Hopeless Situation" as well which is good honest - it's not often you find a story willing to leave the character without any way out so I appreciate it when it happens.

Lost in Space by @mastressalita : Most Relate-able As a young girl who wanted to believe with all her might that aliens were real but could never take that last step into belief. Although Madigan had it worse than me. I never had a radio or a telescope. But I really felt for Madigan. Perhaps the aliens will try again? Crosses fingers.

And now to ponder this month's theme...it's already half over and I only have two half-ideas. Eeep!
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    I'm going to try to get my superlatives up today...

I'm really struggling this month. I've had like, 10 ideas but none of them will work or flow and it feels like I'm writing for the sake of writing.

Grrr...

I'll be right up to the wire this month!

:D
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    Don't worry @Spottydog714 , @raerei and myself were bemoaning that very fact tonight on the Simlit chat, too! All the previous months I've had a gameplan all month, here it is halfway through December and I still have no idea what I want to do!

It's nail-bitin' time!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    Don't worry @Spottydog714 , @raerei and myself were bemoaning that very fact tonight on the Simlit chat, too! All the previous months I've had a gameplan all month, here it is halfway through December and I still have no idea what I want to do!

It's nail-bitin' time!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one stuck. It has been a while since I was this stuck!
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    Ok, I ran out of time. I'll do my superlatives tomorrow, I promise.

Sorry.

:'(
    EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    Mwahahaha. Perhaps we were bemoaning it, but I used sure fire techniques and thought up an idea last night so ha! I'm gonna start writing it tonight!
  • Options
    That's it, you're out of the "no good ideas club"!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Options
    Finally I've got round to doing my superlatives.

Layla's Lost by @MarkHarris17 : Best advice : No matter what bad or taunting or anything happens to you push it aside and worry on better things. This really is amazing advice... I know a lot of people experience bad things, but this explains that it doesn't really matter once it's over, and instead of mulling over it, we get on with our life to make it a memorable one! (At least, that's how I interpreted it!)

My New Life by @picklesthecat114 : Best and most effective Photoshopping... : The images really added to the story, and I loved how it wasn't all set in sims, but you layered screenshots on scenery, and I think it gave it a sense of realism... Very effective! =)

Long Ways from Home by @Pegasus143
    : Most identifiable We've all heard about it before... The 'issues' that she had in this story, so we can all relate. These things haven't happened to the magority of us, and it gives us an insight into what the character is feeling in these situations. I really valued that.

Lost and (hopefully) Found by @DreamsInPixels
    : It has been said before, and I'll say it again. Best use of all the themes. I really loved how it explored all of them, from the good to the bad. I really enjoyed it, so, thank you. =)

Lost Dark Matter by @CathyTea
    : Best characterization : This pulled me in right from the first line. I felt I could really empathize with Liam Dillard, which pulled me in. Characterization is the part of planning and writing which I most value, so I love it when it's done exceptionally well. (Not to say that the rest of you didn't do it really well!) Yay!

A Lost Cause by @IchigoUsagi : Most gripping I genuinely was on the edge of my seat the whole way through, I wanted so much to see if Abigail would survive, and when she didn't, I hoped that she would get over her loss. But at least she joined Abigail in the end.

Welcome Back by @ra3rei : Most satisfying ending : I love how she regained contact with other sims, and I absolutely love happy endings. (But you know that from my October entry!) This really filled me up with a warm glow at the end, so thanks, it made my day.

Sofia and the Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo by @Spottydog714
    : Longest title : Seriously, it was longer than everyone else's, plus there names. (Except for 'Lost and (hopefully) Found' by @DreamsInPixels 's, it was the same length!) Thank you everyone for all the kind comments and superlatives, (and bothering to read it!), I really appreciate it. THANK YOU! <3

A Fine Time to Lose by @cully_c : Saddest ending : That's a compliment, btw. I loved it right up until the very end. Despite the fact he lost, you did it in such an effective way, I was sniffing and wiping my eyes. I loved it!

Still Waters by @MedleyMisty : Prettiest scenery : I loved how bright and cheerful it was, it was majorly effective, and that was the primary reason I loved at the start, and then when I started reading, that was the main reason I loved it. But thank you for creating images that would catch my eye immediately.

What is Lost Cannot be Found by @Leoin202
    : Best twist : I really enjoyed this one, and when Rose and Tristram died, I was like, Oh No This Cannot Be Happening! But although she killed herself, I'm glad she was reunited with them, so it was a happy ending, in a way.

Lost in Space by @mastressalita : Best journey of a character growing in themselves : I hope that amkes sense. I guess I mean that I saw Madigan Finnegan grow from a child who loves aliens to a girl who has awakened to reality through the loss of her siblings. That is a compliment, btw. It really made me love the story, because you wrote it in a way that made me understand the character and empathise with her.

I hope this is helpful to you and Happy Timezones!

:D:);):p=)

EkpFDaf.png
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Okay, so I've been wracking my brain to come up with something for this month and I think I finally did!