Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Yeah voted! Thanks for the extra time, my internet over here is so spotty.

Can't wait to see what October brings, I'm already planning my story for when I get home.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @ra3rei I get so excited whenever I see you around the forums :lol: We miss you! I'm glad you found the chance to read and vote for the stories this month -- wish you could have participated... You're so talented, I'm sure you would have had a fabulous submission!

Enjoy the rest of your stay in beautiful Spain! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Yeah voted! Thanks for the extra time, my internet over here is so spotty.

Can't wait to see what October brings, I'm already planning my story for when I get home.

Ditto with @CitizenErased14 ! Even though Internet from Spain feels digitally the same as Internet from a closer timezone to me... still. It's a whole ocean away! :) Will be so glad when you get back. :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Speaking of future themes... What if we have one month where the restriction is that all of our stories have to have the same title? I know that would be slightly confusing for voting purposes, but I feel like it would be kinda neat! Maybe we could vote on the title ahead of time (and The War of the Zagadoo" could be an option, I suppose! :lol:) so then you can write whatever you want, as long as it's clear that the chosen title is in some way fitting for your story.

I like that. And for voting we would just use everyone's forum name I think.

You all are full of such wonderful ideas. Here's one I've been tossing around in my head for a while now. Would anybody be interested in doing a month where everyone writes a story using the same screenshots? This is an idea that I keep coming back to, but isn't something that I would select without seeing if y'all like it first. So let me know what you think.

Here's how I think it could (if there's interest for it):
    • One month - maybe as a side challenge to the actual writing challenge - we have people submit a collection of screenshots just like we normally submit stories and everyone could vote for their favorite at the end of that month. (Didn't someone suggest a wordless story theme way back in July/August?)
    • Then the next month the theme would simply be for everyone to create a story around the winning set of screenshots.

And another idea I've had is... an anonymous month. In this scenario you would PM your stories to me, and I would post them on the forums. After voting is over you could of course publish you story on your own blog/thread. It think it might be fun to see what everyone thinks of each story without knowing who wrote it. And I can picture everyone having fun trying to guess too. (again I would never pop this in a surprise theme; I want to see if anyone likes this idea first)

And last, I kind of want to put the two together: The month where everyone uses the same pics for their story is the same month that we do the anonymous thing. Because there would be no dead giveaways in the pictures to make it obvious whose story is whose.

Okay, not let me know what ya think!

These are great ideas!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Read all the September entries and this is all I have to say:

So many feels!
    38353-the-feels-gif-2RqD.gif
    Well done!
    wW1dH66.gif
    Very funny!
    8FxEa.gif

Top effort to everyone that entered! They were all so great! :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited October 2015
    1st, 2nd and 3rd place are now all tied :o you guys are one talented bunch ^^

PS: even though it's irrelevant but 4th and 5th place are tied too xD
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »

I am not at all surprised. They were all great!
    dustshaela.jpg
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

This is both awesome and terrifying to know things are so close :lol: this is gonna put pressure on the next people who vote! :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

This is both awesome and terrifying to know things are so close :lol: this is gonna put pressure on the next people who vote! :tongue:

Added pressure!?! Argh! No! That's it... I'm outta here!
    abd-177.gif

Oh wait... I already voted! :D This is going to be good, I love close ones! Even better when I'm a spectator! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
  • Options

Added pressure!?! Argh! No! That's it... I'm outta here!
    abd-177.gif

Oh wait... I already voted! :D This is going to be good, I love close ones! Even better when I'm a spectator! :D

Hahaha as I spectator, I love them too! As a participant (who also happens to be extremely competitive) though? :lol: This is torturous! :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    edited October 2015
    Voting ends Tomorrow or Tuesday?
    @Carewren123 for future references could you start displaying what day the voting will end on the front of the page? I think it would be helpful for those who want to vote but don't know when it ends and also for people like me who are too busy to remember.

Even though I don't think I still will even have time to read them all and vote.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    @Carewren123 for future references could you start displaying what day the voting will end on the front of the page? I think it would be helpful for those who want to vote but don't know when it ends and also for people like me who are too busy to remember.

Even though I don't think I still will even have time to read them all and vote.

The voting ends tomorrow! Better say it ends in 9 hours :o
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    With it being so close, I'd be interested to see who the top 5 were, just because now you got me all curious about the race! I'm hoping some of my favorites are up there! (Since I wasn't here last month, I wasn't sure if you give the stats for all the stories, or if it was just the top 3.)
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    sabreene wrote: »
    With it being so close, I'd be interested to see who the top 5 were, just because now you got me all curious about the race! I'm hoping some of my favorites are up there! (Since I wasn't here last month, I wasn't sure if you give the stats for all the stories, or if it was just the top 3.)

Just top 3

• Options
    sabreene wrote: »

Normally just the top three ^^ Though we discussed lowering it in months were there were not as many entries.

Now I'm wondering @Carewren123 if there are no more votes, there are 6 stories in the top 3. Do we premier them all or do we then just tell the 1st and 2nd place?
  • Options
    Wow, that's insane that it's so close! Hahaha

How many stories are tied for 1st and 2nd? Maybe you could do 2 first place and 2 second place? Or something? I'm trying to be helpful :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

How many stories are tied for 1st and 2nd? Maybe you could do 2 first place and 2 second place? Or something? I'm trying to be helpful :lol:

For the first 5 places there are 2 stories tied each :D Yeah I was wondering that too but maybe @Carewren123 can help out
  • Options

The voting ends tomorrow! Better say it ends in 9 hours :o

Yeah I definitely won't be able to vote. I stayed up for 28 hours doing assignments and I just went to sleep 10 hours ago. now I'm up and in need to do this project tonight because I have work tomorrow. Gahh.. But I so can't wait for the results. Good luck to everyone!

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    edited October 2015

For the first 5 places there are 2 stories tied each :D Yeah I was wondering that too but maybe @Carewren123 can help out

Haha @Julyvee94 maybe we need to do a "last call" for votes in the lounge or something! See if any people didn't realize votes were closing so soon? Then it would potentially help there be more clear-cut winners haha

I would do it myself, but I feel weird doing it, since my story's already in the contest and everyone knows I'm so competitive :lol: But maybe if someone without a submission wants to? It could help?
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I think it's fine to go with the ties (if they're still tied at the end). I think we still have enough entries that no one would feel singled out that doesn't place. Even if we award two 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places there are still seven stories that don't place. If the number not placing was lower than the number that did place, then I think we'd have a problem.

That being said if everyone would feel more comfortable just awarding 1st & 2nd if the ties remain we could totally do that. (But I figure everyone probably still wants to know 3rd place too). So everyone speak up before the poll ends... what would you prefer? Just 2nd & 1st since there are so many tied? Or go ahead and award the top three (erm... 6 total thanks to the ties)?
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options

Haha @Julyvee94 maybe we need to do a "last call" for votes in the lounge or something! See if any people didn't realize votes were closing so soon? Then it would potentially help there be more clear-cut winners haha

I would do it myself, but I feel weird doing it, since my story's already in the contest and everyone knows I'm so competitive :lol: But maybe if someone without a submission wants to? It could help?

Maybe when the time limit is up or whatever there can be a second poll for that tied place where the voting is extended again but instead to choose out of those 2 stories to be 1st place. And future that for 2nd and 3rd.. like a tie breaker. Just a suggestion though it requires another vote session and longer wait.

• Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @putacece4lyfe I'll definitely add the date the poll closes to the front page in the future. Great idea! and I should have already thought of it
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options

Maybe when the time limit is up or whatever there can be a second poll for that tied place where the voting is extended again but instead to choose out of those 2 stories to be 1st place. And future that for 2nd and 3rd.. like a tie breaker. Just a suggestion though it requires another vote session and longer wait.

To add onto my suggestion, if we go with it, I think those that are tied but not win have some type of banner to recognize that yeah you didn't win but you were part of that tie breaker so yours is still good. like say the two stories are tied for first place and second place. It should be acknowledged that even if that story didn't win 1st place, it was still voted more for then second place. So I think that story should have recognition and a banner saying "1st Place Tier" instead of "1st Place Winner"... does it make sense?

• Options
    @putacece4lyfe I'll definitely add the date the poll closes to the front page in the future. Great idea! and I should have already thought of it

@Carewren123 Thank you. I prefer this idea so no one that actually tied feels left out like their story wasn't good enough. I think if we go with this it should be an extra 2 or 3 day vote session instead of 5.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @Carewren123 I feel torn :tongue: On the one hand, 6 winners is a lot of winners :lol: Even though it's still less than half of the entries, it's still a lot, so I can definitely see the benefit of awarding just 1st and 2nd (I know that I even mentioned that as a suggestion, but part of me is second-guessing it, and I will explain why in a second :tongue:)

On the other hand, I know that if my story was one of the third place tie stories, I'd feel very bad knowing that even though my story technically was third place, I didn't get an award, y'know? (Unless we never say who got 3rd place) It's a tough call.

And @putacece4lyfe , as for your tie-breaker idea, I do like it, but I have a suggestion of how to change it (if we do go with it!). I have two suggestions, actually :lol: Which are...

1. List all 6 1st-3rd stories in no particular order and do a re-vote where people can only pick one story to vote for. Then the top three stories would be awarded 1st-3rd place, and the other three stories could maybe get an "Honorable Mention" ribbon.

2. Only list the 2 1st place and 2 2nd place stories, and then have a poll where people pick between the first place winners and between the second place winners. Then the 1st place with the higher # of votes gets 1st place, 2nd place goes to the other story that was originally the first-place tie, and 3rd place goes to the winner of the second-place poll. The fourth story could be an "Honorable Mention"

My only reason for this suggestion is this (I'm gonna make up numbers :lol:):

Let's say story A and story B are both tied with 20 points. Story C and Story D are tied with 15 points. If we do a poll and story B wins the 1st place poll and C wins the 2nd place poll, I don't think it's fair to give C 2nd place over Story A, because Story A had more votes to begin with. Does that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough :lol:

I dunno, tie-breaking may be too complicated. But what do other people think? I also see the advantage of this option! Allows there to be "true" winners.
    snvAF3B.png