Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member
    @Karababy52 welcome to the group!

About the voting, I understand both sides. I've been involved in projects where I cringed when I had to vote for others when I really thought my work was superior, so I really get from where @CathyTea is coming from, but I also know that our normal bias could lead us to see ours as superior just because it's more personal (it's one of the reasons why I prefer to wait a couple of days before reading the other entries: the more distant I get from my work, the better I judge others'). Still, I haven't had this problem here, but at the end of the day, I think that as long as you're honest to yourself about your decisions, there's nothing wrong with voting on your own story :smile:

@Julyvee94 that's just cruel! How are we supposed to wait so long now? *super curious to know the data*
    [
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,869 Member
    Voted :relaxed:
    Thank you all for your lovely comments on my story, I think we have such great diversity this week when it comes to approaches. Such great work from everyone it was hard to pick favourites!
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    Voted :relaxed:
    Thank you all for your lovely comments on my story, I think we have such great diversity this week when it comes to approaches. Such great work from everyone it was hard to pick favourites!

I saw it ^^ First vote from the UK! YAY :)
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited October 2015
    Ahhh @Julyvee94 you are such a tease :tongue: I wanna knowwwww :lol:

The next three days are going to kill me. I'm way more anxious this month than I was last month :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Here's my take on the voting thing: I think it skews the votes even more if everyone were made to vote for someone other than themselves. As @BruNCC93 said, if you truly think your work is superior than others, but you voted for someone else, the end results aren't a true picture of everyone's feelings. Everyone needs to be objective. I'm not afraid to say that word, @CathyTea :p . I'm not a competitive person, and I don't really care about winning this thing. Would it be nice? Absolutely! Why? Because it shows that people appreciated my hard work, and everyone loves to be appreciated. I entered this contest because I liked the prompt, and it's good practice for me to write something I wouldn't normally write; I write for enjoyment and practice. However, I see that there are many people here who are very competitive; more power to you! So, for all the people who are "in it to win it," I'm gonna say it like this (as I am a fan of tough love): it takes a mature person to look at her own work objectively and compare it to someone else's and say, "This work is better than mine and deserves my vote." It takes an even more mature and courageous person to look at her own work objectively and say, "My work is great, and I sincerely believes it belongs in the top 3. I will vote for myself."

People vote for themselves all the time! I mean, why enter into a competitive environment if you're not confident that you can actually win (unless you're like me and don't care)? I understand what people are not saying though. Some of you probably think it's a bit self-seeking to vote for yourself. True, there are plenty of people out there who will always choose themselves, and that just shows they have some areas in their life to grow in. It's not selfish to vote for yourself; it's confident! On TV, when they show presidential candidates coming out of the voting booth in November, do you think they were in there voting for the other guy? Please LOL. Voting out of principal should have no place in a competitive environment.

I kinda went somewhere else with this, but y'all see the point I'm sure. I'm here all week! B)
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    edited October 2015
    That was a great take on things, @Jes2G ! I see both sides too. I do have a little bit of concern about people voting for themselves just to win. I totally understand the temptation (can we all agree that I'm probably the most competitive person here? :lol: so of course I understand wanting to win!) but I definitely don't think it's "right".

I think that's why everyone is saying they don't plan to vote for themselves -- because (for me, at least) there's the secret fear of "wait... What if this really isn't as good as I think it is and I'm skewing the vote?"

It's a tough call. I guess we should all just agree to go with what feels "right" to us? :) (and if you regret your decision, so be it! No take backs :tongue:)
    snvAF3B.png
    Exactly. Do what feels right. What feels right to you may not be the same "right" for someone else...and respect that. The end. The moment we start trying to regulate how people should feel is the moment the beauty of this thing is lost...and some of us already had that experience and would not care to live through it again, amirite? (you know who you are...you know what I'm referring to ;) )

...and, yes...I do agree you (@citizenerased14) are the most competitive person here! LOL Uncompetitive people like me don't understand it at all, but it takes all kinds, right? :p
    forum_final.png

• putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    Here's my take on the voting thing: I think it skews the votes even more if everyone were made to vote for someone other than themselves. As @BruNCC93 said, if you truly think your work is superior than others, but you voted for someone else, the end results aren't a true picture of everyone's feelings. Everyone needs to be objective. I'm not afraid to say that word, @CathyTea :p . I'm not a competitive person, and I don't really care about winning this thing. Would it be nice? Absolutely! Why? Because it shows that people appreciated my hard work, and everyone loves to be appreciated. I entered this contest because I liked the prompt, and it's good practice for me to write something I wouldn't normally write; I write for enjoyment and practice. However, I see that there are many people here who are very competitive; more power to you! So, for all the people who are "in it to win it," I'm gonna say it like this (as I am a fan of tough love): it takes a mature person to look at her own work objectively and compare it to someone else's and say, "This work is better than mine and deserves my vote." It takes an even more mature and courageous person to look at her own work objectively and say, "My work is great, and I sincerely believes it belongs in the top 3. I will vote for myself."

People vote for themselves all the time! I mean, why enter into a competitive environment if you're not confident that you can actually win (unless you're like me and don't care)? I understand what people are not saying though. Some of you probably think it's a bit self-seeking to vote for yourself. True, there are plenty of people out there who will always choose themselves, and that just shows they have some areas in their life to grow in. It's not selfish to vote for yourself; it's confident! On TV, when they show presidential candidates coming out of the voting booth in November, do you think they were in there voting for the other guy? Please LOL. Voting out of principal should have no place in a competitive environment.

I kinda went somewhere else with this, but y'all see the point I'm sure. I'm here all week! B)

See.. the only thing wrong with all this is I hate people that think they are better then someone else. So I really don't like the word superior. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So I completely disagree. You guys say it is confidence for someone to vote for their own work, but honestly to me it's just pure concietedness and makes me think of those people as full of themselves. That's just where I come from and how I think. Our great community has many creative and talented writers. I understand if we all were lacking in the amazing stories being submitted department, but obviously we aren't.
    Feel free to disagree. It's not like we can stop people from voting for themselves but I just wanted to express my view of how I disagree with the notion of "voting for yourself means confidence" and I hate the word superior.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
    Lol @Jes2G at least I admit it though, right? :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
    edited October 2015
    It's a tough call. I guess we should all just agree to go with what feels "right" to us? :) (and if you regret your decision, so be it! No take backs :tongue:)

I agree too. Do what you feel is right. And who cares what anyone else thinks. Because regardless there is always going to be someone who is going to oppose something you may think or feel and hey even how you look. And that is just how the world works. We aren't supposed to have the same opinions. Which makes us all unique.

Edit: added "even" twice

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus

Lol, right.

And, @putacece4lyfe, yes. :)
    forum_final.png

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

See.. the only thing wrong with all this is I hate people that think they are better then someone else. So I really don't like the word superior. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So I completely disagree. You guys say it is confidence for someone to vote for their own work, but honestly to me it's just pure concietedness and makes me think of those people as full of themselves. That's just where I come from and how I think. Our great community has many creative and talented writers. I understand if we all were lacking in the amazing stories being submitted department, but obviously we aren't.
    Feel free to disagree. It's not like we can stop people from voting for themselves but I just wanted to express my view of how I disagree with the notion of "voting for yourself means confidence" and I hate the word superior.

Here's the thing (and at design college, you'll probably get this from your teachers a lot!): this is not about YOU as a person. This is about your work. This is about product: what you have created.

We're not saying that any one of us is better than another: we're not even saying that any one of us is more talented or more creative than another.

It's so obvious from reading all our selections that each one of us (and maybe even most people, given something they feel passionate about) are amazingly talented and creative. The spirit of the contest, in my view, is to celebrate the creativity, talent, skill, and passion that is part of being a person. It's something that is in all of us.

It would be very conceited if we were to say, "Oh! I'm so great! I'm more talented than everybody, so of course mine's the best!"

That might be what a very young person would say (or think).

As one gets more experience working with people who have abundant talent and creativity, then one can look at the work--as a piece in its own right. A vote for one's story says, "Wow. These stories are all of them amazing. I can see how hard everyone worked, and what unique contributions each made. And you know what? This month, I feel that the most effective ones are these three and I feel they're most effective for these reasons, and--oh! One of those was written by me."

It takes maturity to be able to say that. It also takes humility, because it is NOT about the person. It requires setting aside one's own ego to look without partiality at the work as something separate from the self. And also, it requires humility because when one assesses work without partiality towards the person who created it, one also realizes that there will be times when one's own work isn't in the top group, and may even be in the bottom.

Another concern I have is that people, when voting with partiality, will vote for friends--and this becomes a popularity contest. How do we avoid that? By voting without partiality towards the writer, and by voting on the merits of the piece.

When voting solely on the merits of the piece, we avoid popularity contests--and sometimes, it means that the honest voter will vote for her own work.

(And just for the record, I'm not voting for mine this time, because, in my assessment, I don't feel it's in the top 7.)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

I agree too. Do what you feel is right. And who cares what anyone else thinks. Because regardless there is always going to be someone who is going to oppose something you may think or feel and hey even how you look. And that is just how the world works. We aren't supposed to have the same opinions. Which makes us all unique.

And I love this! And it's true! And let's celebrate that we can talk about and share our diverging views here and still respect and care for each other! That's what strong communities are built on: the capacity to hear and respect multiple viewpoints.

Thanks for bringing that up, CeCe, and thanks for expressing your views!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

And you also really know how to harness it to fuel that creative passion you've got, Citizen! :)<3

CathyTea wrote: »

And you also really know how to harness it to fuel that creative passion you've got, Citizen! :)<3

Haha thanks for turning it into a positive, @CathyTea :tongue: It felt discouraging at first when I realized no one else really cares about the "winning" aspect the way I do -- I guess it made me feel like I'm a bad person or something?

But whatever, it's who I am and how I feel, and I can't change it :lol:
    snvAF3B.png

Haha thanks for turning it into a positive, @CathyTea :tongue: It felt discouraging at first when I realized no one else really cares about the "winning" aspect the way I do -- I guess it made me feel like I'm a bad person or something?

But whatever, it's who I am and how I feel, and I can't change it :lol:

Being naturally competitive can be one of the best personality traits, especially when somebody wants to excel! The trick is to turn the competitive energy to realizing that we're really competing against ourselves--each of us striving to do the absolute best that we can. And then, that competitive energy becomes this incredible fuel that catches on fire with our enthusiasm and passion, and there's NO telling what we create!

Masterpieces don't get done by people sitting around thinking, "Oh, well. Maybe I'll try mixing a little blue with a little orange. What can it hurt?" They get done when people say, "Man! Last time mixing blue and orange turned into mud! This time, let's do better! This time, let's put the blue and orange beside each other and see what kind of fireworks go off!"

• BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member

Here's the thing (and at design college, you'll probably get this from your teachers a lot!): this is not about YOU as a person. This is about your work. This is about product: what you have created.

We're not saying that any one of us is better than another: we're not even saying that any one of us is more talented or more creative than another.

It's so obvious from reading all our selections that each one of us (and maybe even most people, given something they feel passionate about) are amazingly talented and creative. The spirit of the contest, in my view, is to celebrate the creativity, talent, skill, and passion that is part of being a person. It's something that is in all of us.

It would be very conceited if we were to say, "Oh! I'm so great! I'm more talented than everybody, so of course mine's the best!"

As one gets more experience working with people who have abundant talent and creativity, then one can look at the work--as a piece in its own right. A vote for one's story says, "Wow. These stories are all of them amazing. I can see how hard everyone worked, and what unique contributions each made. And you know what? This month, I feel that the most effective ones are these three and I feel they're most effective for these reasons, and--oh! One of those was written by me."

It takes maturity to be able to say that. It also takes humility, because it is NOT about the person. It requires setting aside one's own ego to look without partiality at the work as something separate from the self. And also, it requires humility because when one assesses work without partiality towards the person who created it, one also realizes that there will be times when one's own work isn't in the top group, and may even be in the bottom.

Another concern I have is that people, when voting with partiality, will vote for friends--and this becomes a popularity contest. How do we avoid that? By voting without partiality towards the writer, and by voting on the merits of the piece.

When voting solely on the merits of the piece, we avoid popularity contests--and sometimes, it means that the honest voter will vote for her own work.

(And just for the record, I'm not voting for mine this time, because, in my assessment, I don't feel it's in the top 7.)

I love love LOVE this!

Glad you took the words out my mouth so perfectly <3
    [

That's another way of thinking about it. But I honestly think it's just based on perspective and how you look at it. As you can see the whole notion of "voting for yourself" brings about many different points. Some view it as confidence, some view it as making yourself seem better then someone else, others view it as being conceited, and some as doing it based on merit and writing. Regardless of what we believe and point out, it only boils down to that particular person who is considering voting for themselves.

And I love this! And it's true! And let's celebrate that we can talk about and share our diverging views here and still respect and care for each other! That's what strong communities are built on: the capacity to hear and respect multiple viewpoints.

Haha right!? until someone strongly disagrees with a point of view in turn splitting the community and starting war. Oh history how we love you...

And your very welcome. :)

Haha right!? until someone strongly disagrees with a point of view in turn splitting the community and starting war. Oh history how we love you...

Did you see the topic that @eXokamikaze and the Writers' Lounge put forward for a future contest? "The War of Zagadoo!" LOL!

• eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member

Did you see the topic that @eXokamikaze and the Writers' Lounge put forward for a future contest? "The War of Zagadoo!" LOL!

*ninjapig suddenly oinks loudly in her sleep and lifts her right trotter*

I think she's saying: "For Sparta!"

Zagadoo! For Troy!

• BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited October 2015

Zagadoo! For Troy!

I'm just here for men in metal mini dresses and calves as big as my head.
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    How about I put "The War of Zagadoo" as an choice the next time we hold a vote on the theme? If war is what people want, that's what they'll get. :tongue:
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    edited October 2015
    Speaking of future themes... What if we have one month where the restriction is that all of our stories have to have the same title? I know that would be slightly confusing for voting purposes, but I feel like it would be kinda neat! Maybe we could vote on the title ahead of time (and The War of the Zagadoo" could be an option, I suppose! :lol:) so then you can write whatever you want, as long as it's clear that the chosen title is in some way fitting for your story.
    snvAF3B.png