Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited September 2015
    Perhaps we could just go ahead with voting as normal for this month, but depending on how others feel, we could adopt a rule for future months about this? I completely understand what everyone else is saying, but surely I'm not the only one who feels this way? (Someone? Anyone?)

Having such a small pool of entries really affects the competition/voting aspect of this immensely. I tried to outline my point of view in the previous post as best as I could.
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    On the one hand, I do think winning would be less satisfactory with such a small number of stories, but setting up a rule that if x number of stories aren't submitted then there will be no voting at all may be counterproductive. People may look in and see just a few stories and say, "why bother writing one? there won't be enough for a vote anyway." I'm very competitive, too, so I really understand your frustration, but it may be best if we just continue on as normal until we can see if this will be a pattern. In the future, if participation stays low, there are some things we might be able to do to boost participation, like voting for a theme for the month or maybe having two or three different potential prompts. This is only the second month of the short story challenge, so it's probably too early to throw our hands up and say the current way of doing things doesn't work.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    Perhaps we could just go ahead with voting as normal for this month, but depending on how others feel, we could adopt a rule for future months about this? I completely understand what everyone else is saying, but surely I'm not the only one who feels this way? (Someone? Anyone?)

Having such a small pool of entries really affects the competition/voting aspect of this immensely. I tried to outline my point of view in the previous post as best as I could.
    A better idea that I've seen in some of the building challenges is that if there's less than a certain number of entries, there's just a first place winner or first/second place winner. I would personally prefer a rule like that.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @JoieWilder I do agree that maybe we should wait a few more months to see what happens. I also think that if this pattern keeps up, something should probably change to prevent it from happening again. Maybe not omitting the vote... But I like your idea of having multiple prompts to choose from, or voting on the prompts every month so we're sure it's something people are interested in.

I'm definitely glad I'm not the only one who's frustrated! :) If only I could go back in time and saved my story idea for a more popular month, I would.*sigh*

I'm going to try very hard to not dwell on it. I often worry/get bothered by stupid little things... I'm very annoying. I need to get over it. *listens to "Let it Go" on repeat* :lol::joy:
    Post edited by CitizenErased14 on
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Pegasus143 wrote: »

A better idea that I've seen in some of the building challenges is that if there's less than a certain number of entries, there's just a first place winner or first/second place winner. I would personally prefer a rule like that.

I think this idea would help a bit too :) This is a pretty good option! @Carewren123 What about introducing a rule like this in the future?
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    Jumping in on all this before I go back to my busy college life (stinks ), for people who are submitting for fun and not a competition, I wouldn't resubmit any of the work I already submitted. I'm not in it to be voted on or anything. I just share my creativity. It would be like a slap in the face to me if these submissions were null and void because though I do it for fun, it just doesn't seem fair just because people aren't submitting, then all of our work to be will be disregarded. Also with the thing for us voting on themes, if you guys are as competitive as you say then why would you want to make things easier for yourself by choosing a theme? When I think of a competition I think of rising to any challenge given. And if you don't have anything then you don't have it. I guess you guys were talking about for others to submit, but then honestly it wouldn't be a true competition if we voted on it per say. Yeah it would make things more fun but I'm trying to understand how competitive or not you guys are trying to make this because I'm honestly confused. These are just my opinions. Feel free to ignore them. Except the first part about resubmitting submissions making our submissions null and void. Now I think the whole thing about having just a first place or first and second place winner based on how many have entered. That was a great suggestion.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    Jumping in on all this before I go back to my busy college life (stinks ), for people who are submitting for fun and not a competition, I wouldn't resubmit any of the work I already submitted. I'm not in it to be voted on or anything. I just share my creativity. It would be like a slap in the face to me if these submissions were null and void because though I do it for fun, it just doesn't seem fair just because people aren't submitting, then all of our work to be will be disregarded. Also with the thing for us voting on themes, if you guys are as competitive as you say then why would you want to make things easier for yourself by choosing a theme? When I think of a competition I think of rising to any challenge given. And if you don't have anything then you don't have it. I guess you guys were talking about for others to submit, but then honestly it wouldn't be a true competition if we voted on it per say. Yeah it would make things more fun but I'm trying to understand how competitive or not you guys are trying to make this because I'm honestly confused. These are just my opinions. Feel free to ignore them. Except the first part about resubmitting submissions making our submissions null and void. Now I think the whole thing about having just a first place or first and second place winner based on how many have entered. That was a great suggestion.

I am competitive, but I what I really want is just more stories to read. :D Winning would be nice, but the fun is having people contribute to the challenge and getting to read their ideas. It's so fun seeing people take the same prompt and going in drastically different directions.
  • Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    Hi. Gonna start a story and try to have it in but kinda busy this week. May be October but def want to participate!
  • Options
    JoieWilder wrote: »

I am competitive, but I what I really want is just more stories to read. :D Winning would be nice, but the fun is having people contribute to the challenge and getting to read their ideas. It's so fun seeing people take the same prompt and going in drastically different directions.

I feel the same lol. I'm just confused on how "competitive" this should or shouldn't be is all because you can't have it all.

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options

I feel the same lol. I'm just confused on how "competitive" this should or shouldn't be is all because you can't have it all.

Yeah, that's true. As much as we'd like to have our cake and eat it too, we've got to compromise. Still, like has been said earlier, we've just go to wait and see how things go. Who knows? We might have a huge turn out for a spooky Halloween-themed challenge.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    You know, we went through this with the other contest that we had at the SimsWriters site. Sometimes, we'd get lots of submissions, and sometimes, just a few.

Some people got really discouraged by this--and I think that the idea of "lack of participation" might have contributed to the closing of that site.

But you know what? I thought the whole thing was awesome and amazing!

And I think this contest here is amazing, too.

I've read @putacece4lyfe 's story, and I was struck by how significant that story is. I want to live in a world where there are occasions that bring about stories like that.

I haven't read the other submissions because I realized that if I were going to enter, I'd have to write mine first, so as not to get influenced in my direction or language.

But from what I've heard, they are really amazing, too!

If this month's theme brings about six amazing stories, then that is worth it right there! Every story is a jewel--each one, regardless of whether it wins anything or not.

I was actually sad last time that we had to vote: I wanted every story to win. I want every story to win this time, too.

I love that stories exist in our world--I love that activities like this contest create inspiration and drive so that new stories get written!

Sometimes, we'll have twenty submissions, sometimes we'll have two. And each time will be a success because new stories will have been written. For that writer, the inspiration and vision and creation is something amazing. And for the readers, it's a gift.

**end of rant**
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    You know, we went through this with the other contest that we had at the SimsWriters site. Sometimes, we'd get lots of submissions, and sometimes, just a few.

Some people got really discouraged by this--and I think that the idea of "lack of participation" might have contributed to the closing of that site.

I've read @putacece4lyfe 's story, and I was struck by how significant that story is. I want to live in a world where there are occasions that bring about stories like that.

I haven't read the other submissions because I realized that if I were going to enter, I'd have to write mine first, so as not to get influenced in my direction or language.

If this month's theme brings about six amazing stories, then that is worth it right there! Every story is a jewel--each one, regardless of whether it wins anything or not.

I was actually sad last time that we had to vote: I wanted every story to win. I want every story to win this time, too.

I love that stories exist in our world--I love that activities like this contest create inspiration and drive so that new stories get written!

Sometimes, we'll have twenty submissions, sometimes we'll have two. And each time will be a success because new stories will have been written. For that writer, the inspiration and vision and creation is something amazing. And for the readers, it's a gift.

**end of rant**

You always know just what to say.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

**end of rant**

RIGHT! I was thinking the same thing. @CathyTea thank you again for your kind words and wisdom. It's always appreciated. :)

Edit: and also to add on to your insightful rant. This contest is amazing because it also allows us to discovers things in ourselves. Well, at least it helped me discover things in myself, that I'm even more creative on different level then just drawing. That I can do more. Without it I honestly wouldn't have known I actually have a talent in writing. Lol. if anyone would have asked me to write a story out of the blue, I wouldn't have gave it a second thought lol. I'm just explaining how much this contest impacted me. Lol.

• Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    So regarding this month and the call to null and void the vote. I am so strongly against this it is not funny. Not that I think any less of people that are calling for this to happen, I think it is just not fair on the others to pull the vote if the numbers are too low. Would you do the same if there were 50+ stories submitted?

In my opinion you just have to ride out the quiet months. I'm not participating this month not because I don't like the prompt - I actually think it's really awesome - I just can't get my head to work on anything creative right now other than CAS and building.

The main thing I love about this is that it is fun. A challenge amongst friends. You start adding too many rules, like when we have too few votes we do this, or we have too many votes we do that. We have too many stories with redheads (sorry redheads, I love you really... No truly, I do!), we have too few stories with ninjapig. That's when it stops becoming fun and starts becoming a chore to me.

Right... I feel like I went a bit overboard, but I've said my piece and I'll hand the mic over to 'Overly Dramatic Chipmunk'
    dramatic-chipmunk.gif

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options

**end of rant**

RIGHT! I was thinking the same thing. @CathyTea thank you again for your kind words and wisdom. It's always appreciated. :)

Edit: and also to add on to your insightful rant. This contest is amazing because it also allows us to discovers things in ourselves. Well, at least it helped me discover things in myself, that I'm even more creative on different level then just drawing. That I can do more. Without it I honestly wouldn't have known I actually have a talent in writing. Lol. if anyone would have asked me to write a story out of the blue, I wouldn't have gave it a second thought lol. I'm just explaining how much this contest impacted me. Lol.

I know, CeCe! This is exactly what I was thinking! I mean your story--I feel like it changed me! (I know we're not supposed to talk about the stories pre-vote, but this is more about the experience and value of having these stories, rather than about the story itself...)

I felt that your story was so significant--it expresses a meaning and showed me something new about its topic. And to think! That story wouldn't have been written without this contest!

And I know that @CitizenErased14 is so jazzed about hers, too. And you, too, right, @JoieWilder ? So that there makes this tripley worth while.

I really think it's important for us to focus on what is gained: what do we gain as writers and readers--and people--through these contests, even if there is only one significant entry?

The prize is just a formality--it's the process that counts!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    So regarding this month and the call to null and void the vote. I am so strongly against this it is not funny. Not that I think any less of people that are calling for this to happen, I think it is just not fair on the others to pull the vote if the numbers are too low. Would you do the same if there were 50+ stories submitted?

In my opinion you just have to ride out the quiet months. I'm not participating this month not because I don't like the prompt - I actually think it's really awesome - I just can't get my head to work on anything creative right now other than CAS and building.

The main thing I love about this is that it is fun. A challenge amongst friends. You start adding too many rules, like when we have too few votes we do this, or we have too many votes we do that. We have too many stories with redheads (sorry redheads, I love you really... No truly, I do!), we have too few stories with ninjapig. That's when it stops becoming fun and starts becoming a chore to me.

Right... I feel like I went a bit overboard, but I've said my piece and I'll hand the mic over to 'Overly Dramatic Chipmunk'
    dramatic-chipmunk.gif

Thank you, Munter! I think we have next week's theme: Ninja Pig meets Overly Dramatic Chipmunk for Cupcakes.

• Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member

dramatic-chipmunk.gif

Thank you, Munter! I think we have next week's theme: Ninja Pig meets Overly Dramatic Chipmunk for Cupcakes.

*oinks of agreement*
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I really wanted to participate this month. And I'll be joining next month (late) after i get home. I like that these short stories force me out of my comfort zone. And plan to force myself to participate every month. For the practice if nothing else.

I even thought of a humorous story start for this month. I may end up writing it, but I can't get the minimum requirement of one sim picture to make it simlit for submitting.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    EDIT: Nevermind.
    Post edited by CitizenErased14 on
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    You are not an aweful person. I know my comment wasn't intended to do that and I'm sorry if it came off that way. (Writing on mobile devices makes me brief).

I was actually hoping to convince others to stretch a little and try writing this month even if they don't have the "best" idea since I can't. It's more fun when everyone joibs in...more for me to read.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    It definitely wasn't you @ra3rei ! No worries :) and I've edited/deleted my post now. It's not worth it to keep trying to explain myself :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ra3rei wrote: »

I was actually hoping to convince others to stretch a little and try writing this month even if they don't have the "best" idea since I can't. It's more fun when everyone joibs in...more for me to read.

I will try to write mine. Mine feels so boring to me and I have so many other projects going on... but at the same time, it's good discipline to write it anyway, and I sort of love the challenge of making a boring idea into a story... even if not much happens, there are still ideas there, right? Ok! I will work on it for a little bit today and try to get it completed by Sept. 30! Maybe I'll even take a day off of work to work on it! Maybe we should all claim Monday or Tuesday as National Short Story Challenge Day and stay home to write! :)

• Options
    It definitely wasn't you @ra3rei ! No worries :) and I've edited/deleted my post now. It's not worth it to keep trying to explain myself :lol:

Hugs, Citizen! Hope you feel that your ideas and views are always, always welcome!

• Options
    edited September 2015

Hugs, Citizen! Hope you feel that your ideas and views are always, always welcome!

I'm trying, @CathyTea :) I think I'm gonna take a break from this thread for a while.
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options

I'm trying, @CathyTea :) I think I'm gonna take a break from this thread for a while.

Or.... we could have a flame war! I'm always up for some good, old-fashioned flaming! :)