Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Sorry for being absent everyone. I've been taking a break to get my head in the right place. I've been spending a lot of time with my mom and then this past weekend was super busy with a birthday party and wedding to attend.

I just got all caught up on the thread. It looks like we're doing good on number of submissions now, but for future reference what I'll probably do is only award 1st/ 1st & 2nd place(s) for months with few entries.

Now to update that front page... give me just a minute.

Hugs and love, Carewren! And if you want to see your digital self hanging out with those digital selves who love you, check out the Blogaversary! You're everywhere! :)

Thanks <3 I'll go check it out now.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    Sorry for being absent everyone. I've been taking a break to get my head in the right place. I've been spending a lot of time with my mom and then this past weekend was super busy with a birthday party and wedding to attend.

I just got all caught up on the thread. It looks like we're doing good on number of submissions now, but for future reference what I'll probably do is only award 1st/ 1st & 2nd place(s) for months with few entries.

Welcome back love.

You take whatever time you need and we are all here for you :)

Welcome back love.

You take whatever time you need and we are all here for you :)

Thanks. I've just spent a little time skimming through a little that I've missed on the Writer's Lounge. Now I'm going to pop into the game and try to finish the set for my story submission. Not sure if I'll have time to finish by Wednesday, but I'm going to try.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    .....and I'm here with a whole day to spare!

You're the Writer

Post-8.jpg
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Wooh! 12 submissions! *dances* And I was actually on top of things and read all of them as they came out this month :tongue: (Unlike last month, when I waited until the last minute to do a reading marathon :lol:) Still love this prompt! :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
    .....and I'm here with a whole day to spare!

You're the Writer

Post-8.jpg

Im still trying to get mine finished lol

I'm on my ipad right now so I'll add the link to your story in the morning. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Wooh! 12 submissions! *dances* And I was actually on top of things and read all of them as they came out this month :tongue: (Unlike last month, when I waited until the last minute to do a reading marathon :lol:) Still love this prompt! :heart:

I still have to read all of them! BINGE READING!!! Yeeeeeeeah! :D
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited September 2015
    I had a few ideas in my head but none went anywhere. This prompt was very good. I just couldn't get anything to work for me! Challenge failed lol :( so hopefully next month's prompt (tomorrow!!) I can get a story out

Haha I definitely plan on re-reading before I vote, so I guess I'll have a bit of binging too :tongue:

Hopefully there will be a couple of last-minute entries tonight! ;)

@Carewren123 Have you figured out how long you'll keep voting open this time around? A week ended up being too long last time, didn't it? *totally not impatient to find out the winners or anything*

snvAF3B.png

Haha I definitely plan on re-reading before I vote, so I guess I'll have a bit of binging too :tongue:

@Carewren123 Have you figured out how long you'll keep voting open this time around? A week ended up being too long last time, didn't it? *totally not impatient to find out the winners or anything*

I think 3 days would be long enough. Honestly most everyone had voted by that time last time, and this time we have fewer entries... so does that sound good?

@JulyVee94 are you still willing to handle the poll this time around? I'm taking a 5 min break, but I think I'm going to be able to finish my entry. If you're still willing, I'll send you a PM as soon as I'm finished with the details of how I set up last month's poll.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

I like the sound of 3 days, @Carewren123 :) And I can't wait to read your story!
    snvAF3B.png
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member

I think 3 days would be long enough. Honestly most everyone had voted by that time last time, and this time we have fewer entries... so does that sound good?

@JulyVee94 are you still willing to handle the poll this time around? I'm taking a 5 min break, but I think I'm going to be able to finish my entry. If you're still willing, I'll send you a PM as soon as I'm finished with the details of how I set up last month's poll.

Actually for people like me who are fairly busy, could you still stretch out the voting for a week like before? There's no way I can read all of them in 3 days. My time isn't alloted like that unfortunately because of school. I think we all voted so fast last month because school wasn't in session and we were all excited. But you know you don't have to stretch out the time. And I don't have to vote either, it's just a suggestion for those who are extremely busy. And I'm also sorry about your family's loss. I really hope your mother is doing OK and I'm glad you are back :)@Carewren123
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

Actually for people like me who are fairly busy, could you still stretch out the voting for a week like before? There's no way I can read all of them in 3 days. My time isn't alloted like that unfortunately because of school. I think we all voted so fast last month because school wasn't in session and we were all excited. But you know you don't have to stretch out the time. And I don't have to vote either, it's just a suggestion for those who are extremely busy. And I'm also sorry about your family's loss. I really hope your mother is doing OK and I'm glad you are back :)@Carewren123

It does seem like people are really busy this month. I'd vote that we stretch it out for a week, too.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Aww :( Haha I guess it's only fair to the busy people, but waiting will be awful like last time :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
    Or we could compromise? Like 5 days?
    snvAF3B.png
    Or we could compromise? Like 5 days?

It's funny that's what I was thinking too before I even read your post. What does everyone else think of five days? With the weekend included in that time, would that work for everyone.

Btw, I'm off to go read through my story one last time, so I should be posting it shortly. (I'm a perfectionist and a procrastinator. Good combo, right? LOL)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    FIve days sounds the most reasonable to me.
  • putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    Yeah 5 days sound reasonable to include the weekend. Definitely.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    Five sounds good. Can't wait to see the October theme, too!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Five days works for me, too! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Awesome! So five days it is :) I did finish my submission (I'll post it in the next post), so we'll have to give @Julyvee94 (or an alternate if she can't do it for some reason) time to put the poll up and post the link for us.

As soon as it's up I'll put the link on the front page just like last time.

I'll go ahead and post October's theme at midnight (Central US) like last time. I don't think this one will come as a surprise. ;)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Here's my submission: My Boyfriend & My Best Friend

(I had no idea what to name this, I was about to hit "publish" when I realized it still didn't have one. lol Oh well sometimes they come easily; sometimes they don't)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Carewren123 I just had an idea for a prompt: you story has to start and end with the same sentence (or you could do the same word).
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    @Carewren123 I just had an idea for a prompt: you story has to start and end with the same sentence (or you could do the same word).

I love it!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

The September's challenge is officially closed for submissions. As a reminder there will probably be a short delay before the poll is posted (I'm not handling it this month since I have an entry up for vote) plus timzones and all... :)

I'll handle all the first page updating after I get some sleep. But now it's time for the announcement of our October theme.

October's Theme: Two Theme's Are Scarier Than One

1. Scary Stories
    2. Halloween Inspired

Okay, okay, so the two aren't mutually exclusive, but some people might want to write a scary story that isn't necessarily Halloween related, and some might want to do something Halloween related that isn't necessarily "scary". Some might want to write a story that's about Halloween AND scary; that's great too!

Special Rules This Month:
    • Even though there are two (albeit related) themes, you still will only write one entry.
    • For your scary and/or Halloween stories you may use up to 15 screenshots and 2000 words. (That's 3 extra screenshots and 500 extra words to work with. You're welcome ;))

Goodnight all!

E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories: