Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Accidently deleted resource.cfg

helohelo Posts: 2 New Member
So i was cleaning up my mods folder and then i accidentally deleted the rescource.cfg file (that i have had since i first installed the game) and now my game wont start? Whenever i try to start ts4, it just pops up random numbers. And the file has already been replaced, but the new resource file is to no help.. I think it only works with the original? I also tried to revive my original file from trashbin, but that did not work either. Should i just re-install my game again then?

Comments

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Trying repairing the game through Origin (right click on game in Origin and choose "repair"). If that doesn't work, move your Sims 4 folder (the one in EA Games/Documents) to the desktop and start the game. That will generate a brand new folder, including resource.cfg. Then you can move your saved game files, mods, and tray files into the new folder.
  • Options
    helohelo Posts: 2 New Member
    > @MsPhy said:
    > Trying repairing the game through Origin (right click on game in Origin and choose "repair"). If that doesn't work, move your Sims 4 folder (the one in EA Games/Documents) to the desktop and start the game. That will generate a brand new folder, including resource.cfg. Then you can move your saved game files, mods, and tray files into the new folder.

Thank you so so much, it worked perfectly! :)
  • Options
    Georgia_Georgia_ Posts: 1 New Member
    i have the same problem but mine won't regenerate a new mods folder!? and my cc doesn't work. i download it and put it in the mods folder but nothing happens....
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Georgia_ wrote: »
    i have the same problem but mine won't regenerate a new mods folder!? and my cc doesn't work. i download it and put it in the mods folder but nothing happens....

Hello.
    Is there a resource.cfg file in your mods folder?

There is a new feature that when there is a game update, mods/cc are disabled. This link explains about it,
    http://help.ea.com/article/mods-and-the-sims-4-game-updates

Go to options and tick the " enable custom content and mods" button which is found in :
    Options | Other | Enable Custom Content and Mods. Exit the game.

If you have a resource.cfg file in your mods folder, reenable the mods/cc and test to see if they appear.
  • Options
    cooquakeGcooquakeG Posts: 1 New Member
    what do I do if I don't have the resource.cfg file and I tried everything on this comment section (sorry for my spelling mistakes)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    cooquakeG wrote: »
    what do I do if I don't have the resource.cfg file and I tried everything on this comment section (sorry for my spelling mistakes)

Hello @cooquakeG .
    Go to this link thread, and half way down the page there will a picture of a drive with an arrow on it . Press that and download the file.That is a resource.cfg file that you can download and place in your mods folder if there isn't one already there. You will need to take the file out of the zipped file and place it into the mods folder.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/08/mods-and-downloads/
  • Options
    NadiinRoNadiinRo Posts: 2 New Member
    rosemow, but how do I enable cc? i didn't understand what you meant in the previous post, about the options, other enable and stuff. do you mean i have to play the game while doing this or what? HELP ME!
  • Options
    NadiinRo wrote: »
    rosemow, but how do I enable cc? i didn't understand what you meant in the previous post, about the options, other enable and stuff. do you mean i have to play the game while doing this or what? HELP ME!

Hello @NadinRo. When there is a patch update, cc /mods are disabled.
    To make them work/appear in the game, you need to go to game options in the game. Then go to the " other" section and tick the " Enable Custom Content and Mods" box. Then exit the game.Rstart the games and your cc/mods should be appearing and working.

aTgPajq.jpg?1
  • Options
    Chibi_KyChibi_Ky Posts: 1 New Member
    Heh I also had this problem! But thx to Rosemow it's fixed :smiley:
  • Options
  • Options
    DedgeyDedgey Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks rosemow!
  • Options
    AttaAtta Posts: 3 New Member
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??
  • Options
    Atta wrote: »
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??

Hello @Atta.
    Delete the resource.cfg file . Then start the game, and a new resource.cfg file will be generated. The file should hsve returned to right file type then.
  • Options
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @rosemow said:
    > Atta wrote: »
    >
    > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Atta.
    > Delete the resource.cfg file . Then start the game, and a new resource.cfg file will be generated. The file should hsve returned to right file type then.

Thankyou for your response though the file still showed up as a notebook. When I saved it this way, I think the box to always open this file like that was checked.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @rosemow said:
    >
    > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Atta.
    > Delete the resource.cfg file . Then start the game, and a new resource.cfg file will be generated. The file should hsve returned to right file type then.

Thankyou for your response though the file still showed up as a notebook. When I saved it this way, I think the box to always open this file like that was checked.

That's just showing that you've said Notepad should open the filetype if you double click on it. It doesn't change the file itself.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Atta.

Hello
    If you want to edit the file, it is like luthien said, it will open in notepad. The file will still remain the same, it is just what program is associated with it to be the default program to open it.
  • Options
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @luthienrising said:
    >
    > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @rosemow said:
    > > Atta wrote: »
    > >
    > > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello @Atta.
    > > Delete the resource.cfg file . Then start the game, and a new resource.cfg file will be generated. The file should hsve returned to right file type then.
    >
    > Thankyou for your response though the file still showed up as a notebook. When I saved it this way, I think the box to always open this file like that was checked.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's just showing that you've said Notepad should open the filetype if you double click on it. It doesn't change the file itself.

So does it not really change anything to my mods? Thanks!
  • Options
    So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @luthienrising said:
    >
    > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??> @rosemow said:
    > > Atta wrote: »
    > >
    > > So with mine, I have my resource file but when I was editing it to suit my needs...I accidentally saved it as a notebook so I have no idea how to reverse that. I've tried to download another one but it downloads as a notebook and I've tried changing properties but I have to choose another file type to replace the notebook in which case I would end up in the same position. Any advice??
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello @Atta.
    > > Delete the resource.cfg file . Then start the game, and a new resource.cfg file will be generated. The file should hsve returned to right file type then.
    >
    > Thankyou for your response though the file still showed up as a notebook. When I saved it this way, I think the box to always open this file like that was checked.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's just showing that you've said Notepad should open the filetype if you double click on it. It doesn't change the file itself.

So does it not really change anything to my mods? Thanks!

Hello
    No, it won't change anything to your mods. They will work the same as they would normally work :) The file itself will be just the same as it was before.
    If you double click the file to edit it, it will open in notepad straight away.
  • Options
    MaddiePlaysMaddiePlays Posts: 1 New Member
    I had that problem as well tysm rosemow you saved me :smiley:
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    edited April 2016
    Okay, picture time. Two layers, Resource.cfg Properties info, and beneath that, the file in its home directory as I see it here.

2d10oib.jpg

I have Windows 10. It's a right-click on the actual filename to get to its Properties info. In THAT window, you can Change whatever program or app you use to open the file with.

I use notepad++ for all things text-file related.

A note, it does not offer a .cfg extension in the dropdown menus (where it has .txt and so on). But, (example) if you just add that to a file when you're naming it, as in call it settings.cfg instead of just settings or settings.txt, that's all you need to do. As long as it has a .cfg extension, the game will use it properly.

It's cool there's links to download a new Resource.cfg file, but, if you're comfortable with creating/editing text files, you can always make your own, too.

Open a text editor, new document.

Copy the following block of text and paste it into the new document.

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

Save it as Resource.cfg

Copy it into your C:\Users\egw\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods directory. (<< My Win10 path, yours may be different.)

Done.

:)

Edit: added better link to notepad++
  • Options
    I had that problem as well tysm rosemow you saved me :smiley:

Hello @MaddiePlays :) You're welcome.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Just a little information, that you. need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become full a member and can then post pictures, have a signature, post links and change your profile picture.This thread explains about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know

You are invited to visit this thread and introduce yourself.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817478/hello-come-and-introduce-yourself
  • Options
    pinkblusherpinkblusher Posts: 5 New Member
    i have the resource file and i have enabled mods but they don't work
  • Options
    i have the resource file and i have enabled mods but they don't work

Hello @pinkblusher .
    Move your mods folder to the desktop. Start the game , and a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Then put your mods/CC from the desktop mods folder back into the newly generated mods folder.
    Then test to see if your mods/cc appear.
  • Options
    pinkblusherpinkblusher Posts: 5 New Member
    @rosemow It didn't work. the loading screen stopped at the sims 4. It also said application not working