Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Accidently deleted resource.cfg

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    edited October 2017
    huriclas wrote: »
    Hi! Sorry if im a bother. Me and my brother share orgin. So we both have sims. When i downloaded sims, my mom folder was empty. I tried downloading the cfg file and enabled mods. JUST WONT WORK!! Please help?

Hello
    When you download sims households from the Gallery, their files are in the Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 - tray folder.
    If you download cc sims from another website , you need to place the sims files in the tray folder and any cc package files in the mods folder.
    If the sims contain cc, you need to tick the “ enable custom content “ box in the advanced section of the gallery, to make them appear.

Edit : Do you mean that you have two Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folders? This can cause issues.

It would be best for you to start your own new save game. Launch the game, then go to the main screen of sims 4, and start a new save game by pressing the “ new “ button. You can then start a new family and set the game world up as you would like it to be. Then save the game, giving it a different name to the other save game,
    Then when you or your brother want to play, go to the main screen, and click on the " load game " button.Click on the save game file picture of which save game you want to play and you can then load and play that game.
    This picture may help

PsGlOPc.png

You can share the same sims 4 folder with the same mods and tray folders.
  • huriclashuriclas Posts: 5 New Member
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > When you download sims households from the Gallery, their files are in the Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 - tray folder.
    > If you download cc sims from another website , you need to place the sims files in the tray folder and any cc package files in the mods folder.
    > If the sims contain cc, you need to tick the “ enable custom content “ box in the advanced section of the gallery, to make them appear.
    >
    > Edit : Do you mean that you have two Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folders? This can cause issues.
    >
    > It would be best for you to start your own new save game. Launch the game, then go to the main screen of sims 4, and start a new save game by pressing the “ new “ button. You can then start a new family and set the game world up as you would like it to be. Then save the game, giving it a different name to the other save game,
    > Then when you or your brother want to play, go to the main screen, and click on the " load game " button.Click on the save game file picture of which save game you want to play and you can then load and play that game.
    > This picture may help
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can share the same sims 4 folder with the same mods and tray folders.

I meant that when i try to download mods, they don't work. maybe its bc when i downloaded sims from origin the cfg file didnt come in the mods file. I've tried everything
    edited October 2017
    >
    >
    > Hello
    > When you download sims households from the Gallery, their files are in the Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 - tray folder.
    > If you download cc sims from another website , you need to place the sims files in the tray folder and any cc package files in the mods folder.
    > If the sims contain cc, you need to tick the “ enable custom content “ box in the advanced section of the gallery, to make them appear.
    >
    > Edit : Do you mean that you have two Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folders? This can cause issues.
    >
    > It would be best for you to start your own new save game. Launch the game, then go to the main screen of sims 4, and start a new save game by pressing the “ new “ button. You can then start a new family and set the game world up as you would like it to be. Then save the game, giving it a different name to the other save game,
    > Then when you or your brother want to play, go to the main screen, and click on the " load game " button.Click on the save game file picture of which save game you want to play and you can then load and play that game.
    > This picture may help
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can share the same sims 4 folder with the same mods and tray folders.

I meant that when i try to download mods, they don't work. maybe its bc when i downloaded sims from origin the cfg file didnt come in the mods file. I've tried everything

Hello
    Do you and your brother share the same sims 4 folder? The sims 4 folder isn’t generated until you play the game once.
    No we don't. We have different computers
    No we don't. We have different computers

Do you use One Drive ? If you do, try seeing if there is a sims 4 folder there and a mods folder in that sims 4 folder. The game may be using that mods folder instead.
    Simmers have been having issues with One Drive and Sims 4. It would be best to unsync them.

If you don’t use One Drive, try searching in your computer search bar to see if there is another mods folder located somewhere else on your computer, which the game may be using.

The mods folder to put your mods in is, Documents -electronic arts - sims 4 - mods
    Tysm it worked
  • KawaiiliaKawaiilia Posts: 2 New Member
    I got my game a day ago and when ts4 finished downloading it opened fine but now it won't. It opens and stays on the part where it says "The Sims 4" and just stays there. I tried deleting the resource file and opening the game, it generated a new one but the game still got stuck on that screen. I don't know if I should try the think with testing CC or not because I'm pretty sure i took the CC out and opened the game once and it didn't work. I'm confused... I have played the sims before but that was with a friend and I got it for myself so idk what to do. :s :'(
    Kawaiilia wrote: »
    I got my game a day ago and when ts4 finished downloading it opened fine but now it won't. It opens and stays on the part where it says "The Sims 4" and just stays there. I tried deleting the resource file and opening the game, it generated a new one but the game still got stuck on that screen. I don't know if I should try the think with testing CC or not because I'm pretty sure i took the CC out and opened the game once and it didn't work. I'm confused... I have played the sims before but that was with a friend and I got it for myself so idk what to do. :s:'(

Hello. @Kawaiilia

Try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues. If it does help, then put your mods/CC back into the newly generated mods folder in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing the game after each one to see which is the cause of the problem. Put one item or batch in , test the game , take it out. Then test another one, to find the cause of the issue.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair
  • KawaiiliaKawaiilia Posts: 2 New Member
    :s I have done the CC in batches and then when i had them all in and started the game I was stuck on the logo screen. Im so frustrated and I don't really one go one and then exit the game and put an another reload the game and repeat that cause that takes forever. But is that what im gonna have to do? :s :s :s
    Kawaiilia wrote: »
    :s I have done the CC in batches and then when i had them all in and started the game I was stuck on the logo screen. Im so frustrated and I don't really one go one and then exit the game and put an another reload the game and repeat that cause that takes forever. But is that what im gonna have to do? :s:s:s

Hello
    Did the game load correctly after you moved your mods folder to the desktop? If it did, then mods/cc are causing the issue.

If you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.
  • princessmaybayprincessmaybay Posts: 3 New Member
    I had just downloaded more CC furniture to add to my game, I tried to open the game, but my game wouldn't start! I restarted my computer, but nothing happened, then I tried moving the resource.cfg thing into the mods folder, and it came up with a message saying "This file is already in this folder" so I clicked to replace it, then I opened my game, then it had deleted every single one of my game saves! If anyone has a MACBOOK, please speak up :'( :'(
    I had just downloaded more CC furniture to add to my game, I tried to open the game, but my game wouldn't start! I restarted my computer, but nothing happened, then I tried moving the resource.cfg thing into the mods folder, and it came up with a message saying "This file is already in this folder" so I clicked to replace it, then I opened my game, then it had deleted every single one of my game saves! If anyone has a MACBOOK, please speak up :'(:'(

Hello @princessmaybay
    I am sorry that this has occurred :(
    It would be best to post about your issue on a thread that another simmer has started in the Sims 4 Mac section of the forums. You are unable to start a new thread as you are still a new member.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    @princessmaybay running the batch fix from Sims 4 Studio may correct your CC furniture problems. A lot of furniture was broken in the last couple of patches.The program at Sims 4 Studio is free but, you will need a membership to use it (also free). Be sure you download the version for Mac. I'm not sure how to use the Mac version but they have really great help threads over there: http://sims4studio.com/ Your saves may show up again after running the fix. If not, post in the Mac section that @rosemow provided.
  • LolweyLolwey Posts: 1 New Member
    Hiya, I need help. I'm to download AOM Playable Pets mod and it it's not working so I've looked around and I'm apparently meant to have Resources.cfg but I only have a Resource (with an internet explorer icon) but when I tried moving the file into mods; a pop up comes up saying that I have a .cfg file and if I want to replace it. I've looked everywhere and I haven't found it. I do remember having one when I first got the game about a year ago but I didn't notice it disappear. CC has worked perfectly so I don't know what happened? I don't want to do something that ends up breaking my game but I've looked at earlier posts and I'm in the middle of origin repairing my game.
    Lolwey wrote: »
    Hiya, I need help. I'm to download AOM Playable Pets mod and it it's not working so I've looked around and I'm apparently meant to have Resources.cfg but I only have a Resource (with an internet explorer icon) but when I tried moving the file into mods; a pop up comes up saying that I have a .cfg file and if I want to replace it. I've looked everywhere and I haven't found it. I do remember having one when I first got the game about a year ago but I didn't notice it disappear. CC has worked perfectly so I don't know what happened? I don't want to do something that ends up breaking my game but I've looked at earlier posts and I'm in the middle of origin repairing my game.

Hello
    The file that you have that says “ resource” may be the resource.cfg file but is not showing the ending, You may have the setting on your computer to hide file extensions,
    This link explains how to show file extensions,
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file-extensions-in-windows
  • AkiisamejimaAkiisamejima Posts: 1 New Member
    > @MsPhy said:
    > Trying repairing the game through Origin (right click on game in Origin and choose "repair"). If that doesn't work, move your Sims 4 folder (the one in EA Games/Documents) to the desktop and start the game. That will generate a brand new folder, including resource.cfg. Then you can move your saved game files, mods, and tray files into the new folder.

THANK U SO MUCH! This rlly helped and i have spent hours trying to figure out how to get the resource.cfg back. ;D
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > @caitlinxox10 When you restart the game, it should be making a new resource.cfg file in the Mods folder. First, make sure that you do NOT have the folder called Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 synced to any online filesaving services, such as OneDrive.

when you restart the game what exactly do you mean?

You need to exit the game, then start up Sims 4 again. No need to restart Origin, though you may want to make sure you have the latest version of Origin installed. Also, Sims 4 was just patched recently, so you need to check again next time you play Sims 4 under Gameplay or Other that Custom content is enabled. Each time the game is patched, all custom content and script mods are disabled. Another option is to restart your computer after exiting your game, move your Mods folder to the desktop, and then run the game again. The game will create a new empty Mods folder with nothing but resource.cfg in it. If the game does not do this, then exit the Sims 4, (not just to main menu, actually exit the game), and go into Origin and repair your game. Then run the game, and enable custom content. (I usually do not enable script mods right away when the game has just been patched until I have tested my general custom content.) Exit the Sims 4. Once you have the empty Mods folder with nothing but resource.cfg in it, move your cc from the folder on your desktop into the Mods folder that can be found at Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods if you are using the PC version. Then restart the Sims 4 and your custom content, but not your script mods should show up in your game. Next, open Sims 4 and enable script mods. Check all your script mods for updates. Move the script mods (I would suggest one at a time for troubleshooting purposes) into your Mods folder, except the ones that have updated versions. I typically move script mods I know are outdated into a folder I titled "deprecated" that is kept in a different folder separate from my Sims 4 directory. (I use a subfolder of my TS4 downloads directory, which I made a subdirectory of my Downloads folder.) I run my game, test each script mod, then exit the game, then install the next script mod repeat process until my patch-compatible script mods are installed.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • ImAProudSimmerImAProudSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a similar problem. I was putting cc in and i moved the recourse.cfg to the top and i was wondering if that would affect anything?
    I have a similar problem. I was putting cc in and i moved the recourse.cfg to the top and i was wondering if that would affect anything?

Hello @ImAProudSimmer
    If you move the resource.cfg file to the desktop, a new one will be generated in your mods folder when you next load your game.
  • ImAProudSimmerImAProudSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="rosemow;c-16265129"][quote="ImAProudSimmer;c-16265099"]I have a similar problem. I was putting cc in and i moved the recourse.cfg to the top and i was wondering if that would affect anything?[/quote]

Hello @ImAProudSimmer
    If you move the resource.cfg file to the desktop, a new one will be generated in your mods folder when you next load your game.[/quote]

Thanks!
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @ImAProudSimmer
    If you move the resource.cfg file to the desktop, a new one will be generated in your mods folder when you next load your game.

Thanks!

You’re welcome :)
  • meghie246meghie246 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have tried EVERYTHING shown here but, the mod folder won't add after i deleted it and waited for it to add when clicking 'play'. I 'fixed' and 'updated' the game numerous times! Pllleeaassee can someone help me! (the download of the resource file dosnt work either)
  • meghie246meghie246 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @meghie246 said:
    >
    >
    > I have tried EVERYTHING shown here but, the mod folder won't add after i deleted it and waited for it to add when clicking 'play'. I 'fixed' and 'updated' the game numerous times! Pllleeaassee can someone help me! (the download of the resource file dosnt work either)

Nevermind..
    edited March 2018
    meghie246 wrote: »
    > @meghie246 said:
    >
    >
    > I have tried EVERYTHING shown here but, the mod folder won't add after i deleted it and waited for it to add when clicking 'play'. I 'fixed' and 'updated' the game numerous times! Pllleeaassee can someone help me! (the download of the resource file dosnt work either)

Nevermind..

Hello
    It is good that your issue has been fixed. Happy simming :)