[rules updated July 2018]
The purpose of this challenge is two-fold: fandom and variety. For fans, this is a great opportunity to roleplay as a Time Lord. For non-fans, this is a challenge that allows you to use most of the available traits on one Sim who will change appearance yet keep their skills, reward traits, relationships and aspiration points.
Time Lords are a time-traveling race in the Doctor Who universe (). When they are mortally wounded or in the brink of death, a Time Lord can “regenerate” to cheat death.
Create a new game, then design your Time Lord. They can be any gender, color, voice and walk. However, they cannot be a special type of sim (ghost, alien, vampire, etc.).
Their age must be set to Adult. You cannot choose any other age. If you want to roleplay as an Elder, change their hair to gray and add wrinkles in “Skin Details”.
To name your Time Lord, think of a profession, a title, an object or anything. Whatever you choose will be their Last Name. For example, if you chose engineer, then their last name is “Engineer”. If you are having a hard time thinking of a Last Name, go to http://timelord.namegeneratorfun.com
Now that you have your Time Lord’s Last Name, set the first name as “First”. With the example above, your Time Lord’s name should be “First Engineer".
Click the Game Settings, and modify the settings as follows:
- Auto Age (Played Sims): Active Household Only
- Auto Age (Unplayed Sims): Checked
- Sim Lifespan: Normal
Once done, save your First Time Lord in your Gallery and click Play.
THE TIME LORD’S SPACE
You must move your Time Lord in a 50 x 50 lot or larger. If the lot is occupied, you must evict the occupying household, bulldoze it and move your Time Lord in. This will be your Time Lord’s permanent lot, which means they cannot move out from it.
You can build a house, a TARDIS or both. For a guide on creating a TARDIS, see the Roleplay section below.
Money cheats are not allowed at any time of the challenge.
You have four objectives to complete: skills, aspirations, collections and mementos.
Your Time Lord must master 16 skills and finish 15 aspirations. You can change your Time Lord's aspiration only once per sim-day, between 12:00 AM to 1:00 AM.
They must complete 6 types of collections. You must keep the collectibles on your lot or household inventory. Extra collectibles can be sold to avoid clutter.
Finally, they must have 26 mementos kept on your lot. Each incarnation of your Time Lord must have 2 mementos. The following items qualify as mementos:
- Painting of Time Lord created by another sim
- Photo of Time Lord taken by another sim
- Masterpiece painting made by Time Lord
- Bestseller book made by Time Lord
- Excellent woodworking sculpture or furniture made by Time Lord
- Song written by Time Lord
- Gold-level reward items from social events
- Career rewards items
- Career crafted items
You can have more than 2 mementos per incarnation, but only 2 will be counted for points. You can have dedicated rooms for your collections and mementos, like a museum within your lot.
REWARD STORE RESTRICTIONS
During the course of the challenge, you will gain a lot of aspiration points. You must aim for 6,500 aspiration points per incarnation, which you will use to buy Youth Potions and Re-Traiting Potions. Youth Potions and Re-Traiting Potions are strictly limited to the regeneration process. You cannot buy these except in the regeneration phase.
All other potions are purchasable at any time.
You cannot buy any reward traits.
In the Doctor Who universe, a Time Lord regenerates when they are mortally wounded or in the brink of death. ()
If you have three to zero days remaining as an Adult, you must begin the regeneration phase. There will be a notification for your birthday to remind you so don't forget!
If an expansion/game/stuff pack has an item or activity that resets your Time Lord’s age, you cannot use that item or activity
. Only youth potions are allowed to reset their age.
If you do not have enough points to purchase a Youth Potion and/or Re-Traiting Potions, open the cheat console by pressing and holding CTRL-SHIFT-C. In the console, type in testingcheats on
and then type sims.give_satisfaction_points 1500
for Youth Potion and/or sims.give_satisfaction_points 5000
for Re-Traiting Potion.
Once done, follow these steps for the regeneration process:
- Buy and Drink the Youth Potion from the Rewards Store.
- Buy and Drink the Re-Traiting Potion from the Rewards Store.
- Pick two new traits NOT used by past Time Lords. The third trait can be a previously used trait or any trait.
- To keep track of what traits you had picked, copy this text on a text file: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16429447/#Comment_16429447 or download this sheet https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EHMzZg6hmfHGaf_WCSEtxM4VU8NaFOIETsTDhqGbMkk or this text file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W8HjTh3UTDI0PwgQ2YD9VvVxmy-9u-tmWa6YCZTdkFU
- After picking new traits, open the cheat console. To do this, press and hold CTRL-SHIFT-C.
- Type in testingcheats on
- Type in cas.fulleditmode
- Hold SHIFT, LEFT-CLICK your Time Lord and then CLICK "Modify in CAS"
- WARNING! If you changed your Time Lord’s age in CAS, all reward traits and purchased traits will be deleted. If you accidentally switched their age in CAS, cancel the edit and return to Step 5.
- In Create-A-Sim, randomize the look of your Time Lord. You can tweak their appearance, voice, gender and walk. They should not look like previous Time Lords.
- Change their first name to the next number. For example, if you are changing the “First”, then you must change their name to “Second”.
- Save the Time Lord in your Gallery. If you want to share, add the hashtag #timelordchallenge.
- Press Done
There will be 12 regenerations, giving you a total of 13 Time Lords.
To simulate regeneration sickness, see the Roleplay section.
If your Time Lord accidentally dies during the challenge, you must retrieve them from your Gallery. All progress that were attained between saving your Time Lord in the Gallery and their unfortunate death will be lost. This loss of progress will be the penalty.
To retrieve your Time Lord from your Gallery, follow these steps:
- Go To Manage World
- Click your Time Lord’s lot
- On the options at the bottom-right, click “More”, “Manage Household” and “Edit, Add or Remove Sim…”
- In Create-A-Sim, open The Gallery and click “My Library” tab
- Click the recently deceased Time Lord
- Click “Place Household”
- If placing your Time Lord adds any other sims, delete those sims.
- Click “Play”
After retrieving your Time Lord, you must begin the regeneration phase immediately.
Having a companion is not a requirement, but they enliven the challenge and keep your Time Lord company.
There are two ways to gain a companion: you can befriend them and ask them to move in, or you can add them in your household via “Manage Household.” If that sim has a family or roommates, you can bring them in or leave them out.
If moving in a companion or household adds money to your Time Lord’s bank, the gain must be removed. Use “testingcheats on” and “money -19000” to remove the gain.
Since your companions are normal sims, they do not follow the reward store restrictions. They can purchase traits and potions at any time. However, they cannot purchase Youth Potions or Re-Traiting Potions for themselves or for your Time Lord.
Children can be born or adopted in the household. The parents can either be your Time Lord or companions. The children are considered companions and therefore cannot regenerate.
Pets are allowed in the household.
Companions can be moved out from your TARDIS at any time. You are allowed to use the cheat freerealestate on
to place them in an empty or vacant lot of your choosing.
At the end of your Time Lord’s thirteenth incarnation, you can now add up their score. Total maximum score for the whole challenge is 90 points.
Collections (18 Points)
- 3 Points for each completed Collection. Limit 6 collections.
Aspirations (30 Points)
- 2 Points for each Aspiration completed. Limit 15 aspirations.
- 1 Point for each Scenario completed. See Roleplay section for details.
Skills (16 Points)
- 1 Point for each skill maxed. Limit 16 skills.
- Skills that has 10 levels qualify for points. Anything less are not counted.
Mementos (26 Points)
- 1 Point for each memento crafted or received. Limit 2 points per incarnation.
- Minus 1 Point for each Potion of Youth purchased with sims.give_satisfaction_points cheat.
- Minus 1 Point for each Re-Traiting Potion purchased with sims.give_satisfaction_points cheat.
In this section, you will find optional gameplay mechanics to enhance the challenge and also to provide a roleplay experience as a Time Lord.
In the Doctor Who universe, the TARDIS is a vehicle that travels through time and space. It stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. It is a box that’s smaller outside but bigger in the inside ().
Build your TARDIS underground. The TARDIS will be your home, and it should contain all rooms, necessities and luxuries. You can only have one access point to your TARDIS, meaning you can only have one doorway leading underground, just like a bunker.
You can disguise the access point to your TARDIS. It can be the traditional “blue box”, a home, a diner or anything. The only limit is your imagination, so go wild!
Since your Time Lord is using their knowledge of Transdimensional Engineering, you can use lot modifications (bb.moveobjects on and bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement). Also, you can enlarge objects by holding “SHIFT” and pressing “]”, and if you want to reduce the size, hold “SHIFT” and press “[“.
No money cheats! Try roleplaying as the Third Doctor, who had to work for his TARDIS during his exile on Earth.
If you really want to build a TARDIS with unlimited funds, then create your TARDIS off-site. To create an off-site TARDIS, follow these steps.
- Go To Manage Worlds
- Pick a 50 x 50 or larger lot. Evict and bulldoze if it’s occupied.
- Change the lot type to “Generic”
- Pick “Private Dwelling” as a lot trait
- Rename lot as “TARDIS”
On this Generic lot, you can freely build your Time Lord’s TARDIS. If building is not your strong-suit, you can download the "Abandoned TARDIS" in The Gallery. Simply search for "Abandoned TARDIS" and place it on the lot. You can also download other simmer's TARDIS. Don’t forget to thank and credit them. Also, make sure to change the lot type to “Generic” instead of “Residential.”
Your Time Lord can visit their off-site TARDIS whenever they want, and it can function as their second home. Collectible items and mementos can be placed in here instead of your Time Lord’s main lot.
For Kleptomaniac Time Lords, you cannot steal objects from your off-site TARDIS and sell them for a profit.
After a Time Lord regenerates, they may experience memory loss, confusion and/or erratic behaviour. For your Time Lord, you will simply lose control for one day.
After the regeneration phase, follow these steps:
- Go to Game Settings
- Set “Autonomy” to Full
- Uncheck “Disable Autonomy on Selected Sim.”
For one day, you cannot control your Time Lord. The only control you have is traveling to lots and changing outfits. As soon as the day has passed, go back to Game Settings and check "Disable Autonomy on Selected Sim." You can control your Time Lord once again.
If your Time Lord accidentally dies during the regeneration sickness, you can reload a previous save of the same Time Lord, or you can retrieve them from your Gallery. This type of death does not trigger a regeneration phase.
TIME TRAVEL GUIDE
To simulate time travel, you can download themed lots from The Gallery. When placing them and sharing your story, please don't forget to credit the Sim Architect!
Here are hashtags and the worlds associated with them. For each worlds, you can designate a specific theme on a neighborhood. For ideas, click this link
Willow Creek: #jungle #medieval #greek #asian #gothic #tribal
Oasis Springs: #apocalypse #desert #wildwest #western #prehistoric #egyptian
Newcrest: #alien #futuristic #scifi #medieval
San Myshuno: #cyberpunk #alien #futuristic #scifi
As a Time Lord, you have control of time (except yours).
Played or Unplayed Sim Households can be aged up with birthday cakes or with cas.fulleditmode
in Manage Household. For the sake of roleplay, you should not age down any sim.
If you want a Played Sim Household to age, you must change them to Unplayed and then check Auto Aging Unplayed Sims.
To do this, go to Household Management, then click on their plumbob.
If you want an Unplayed Sim Household to stop aging, you can change them to Played by clicking their “Play” button and then exiting back to Manage World.
Scenarios are optional mini-challenges that further expand the universe. Most of them are inspired by Doctor Who episodes. Each scenario has a specific theme, era, characters and goals.
You do not have to complete a scenario immediately. You can pace yourself by doing one scene at a time. You can also just read these scenarios for fun. The purpose of scenarios is for story building and world building.
Below are links for each Scenario:
- Meet The Bercys: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16435922/#Comment_16435922
- Sirens of Titan: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16440175/#Comment_16440175
- Vincent and the Time Lord: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16446617/#Comment_16446617
- The Drink (Vampires Required): http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16451119/#Comment_16451119
- Stranger Danger: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16461924/#Comment_16461924
- More to come. Stay tuned!
When you finish the challenge, you can still continue beyond your Thirteenth Time Lord.
The extended play will not be scored, but it is an opportunity for further roleplaying and completing all remaining aspirations, collections, skills and achievements.
Have fun! Allons-y!
Q: Do I need to be a Doctor Who fan to do this challenge?
A: Nope! You can play this challenge even if you don’t know Doctor Who. I’ve set the challenge to be inviting for non-fans. Even if your story or gameplay is not canon, it is interesting how non-fans interpret the mythos of the Time Lords.
Q: Do I have to keep score?
A: You don’t have to. You can play the challenge without worrying about objectives. But you should still adhere to the regeneration rule since it’s the heart of this challenge.
Q: Can I use mods?
A: Yes you can, so long as it does not give you an advantage if you are keeping score. If you are not keeping score, you can use any mods so long as you still follow the regeneration rules.
Q: Can I use cheats?
A: The only cheats allowed are the ones stated in the rules. However, if you are not keeping score, you can use any cheats available in the game so long as you still follow the regeneration rules.
Q: My collections suddenly vanished! What happened?!
A: This occurs when you move out a companion that had contributed to the collection. Not to worry. As the rules state, you should have your collections in your TARDIS so you can drag and drop them in your inventory to reclaim them.
Q: I’m roleplaying with historical and future-looking sims, and they are interacting with one another in a park/library/lounge/etc. What gives?
A: It’s possible that your Time Lord had accidentally opened a wormhole that allowed differing timelines to interact with one another. That’s one possibility, but you can make your own story on why different eras are clashing with one another.
Q: What is the meaning of life?
LET’S PLAY CHANNELS
- - -
For anyone curious, here's an older version of the rules: