Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't understand the dislike of this game

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    hunt577 wrote: »
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > Not everyone is into linear scripted play along with the beauty of zero detail, lazy animations, left out animations and life-states. Yes, i said life-states because the lazy interpretation of a baby isn't one, in fact Teens are exactly the same as adults except the woohoo animation is renamed to mess around. The elders are adults but die during woohoo. I could go on to tell you the other million reasons why this game isn't worthy of being a sims title but there are enough threads for you to look at.
    >
    > I'm glad you enjoy it but I wouldn't touch that game with a PC from 1998

So you don't like the game at all, that is clear. Isn't this a forum about the Sims 4? I am not saying you have to like the game to be here, but I do find it rather strange that so many disliking the game are actively on the Sims 4 forum. I mainly posted this because I figured most people who are browsing these forums actually enjoy the game and would be in at least some sort of agreement. Again, I am new to the forums so maybe they purged the other Sims forums and this is the only one. In that case, my point is moot and I could then understand the predominant disliking replies. I am seeing negative signs above everyone's heads towards me, lol - just a corny sims reference.

It's cool. The gurus said it doesn't matter whether or not you like the game, you can post where you want as long as you follow forum rules. I thought you were wanting a discussion considering the title rather than a one-sided praising.

I apologize for misunderstanding the use of forums since I thought this was a place of discussion.
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    I like the Sims 4, but I don't think its better then TS2. I haven't played TS2 for 7 year and just recently I started again and its amazing. But I cant stand TS3 I had every expansion and I was so bored (so its not I'm judging something I haven't played) TS3 had nothing to offer me I don't care about open world, my Sims never left the house, I don't care about cast ( that was fun for a day, but then became extremely annoying) I care about game play. So TS4 and TS2 are good to me.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I dabbled with The Sims 1...played it for awhile and then grew tired of it. The same was the case with The Sims 2. I played the Sims 3 longer than any of the others but also eventually grew tired of it. Now I am playing The Sims 4 and absolutely love it, it is by far the best one ever to be released. I really don't understand why it's getting so much hate. It might not have the 1 million features that Sims 3 had, but game play wise it's moons above it. I feel this game also finally delved very deep into the development of The Sims themselves, and really I think that's where the primary focus should have always been. These Sims are much smarter and have a lot more emotion than in any of the past games. The only feature that was lacking that is now in the game is genealogy. I started playing the game 3 days ago and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I don't need all the bells and whistles that the previous games had (although I am sure they will be coming with GP's and EP's eventually) for it to be extremely fun. The Sims 4 got it one hundred percent right in perfecting the foundation of the game. I am also loving the direction of EA releasing Game Packs instead of a bunch of ridiculous Stuff Packs (again, a bunch of bells and whistles I would probably never use). I just purchased Outdoor Retreat today as it actually looks like a lot of fun and am very excited for Get To Work coming in April.

Glad to hear the game still makes you happy, after three whole days of playing it. It's good for you that none of the big changes phase your playstyle in the least, many haven't been so lucky. You are lucky that the foundation in your game hasn't shown its cracks as it has to some, and btw.. stuff packs are still a go. So you will get all those 'ridiculous stuff packs' along with the GP's and EP's. :) I'm glad to hear you like your sims' emotions , but again, you are three days in. :) Have a great time!
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Welcome to the Forum @hunt577 :) I am pleased to hear you like the game and that you are happy to invest in the GP and coming EP. There are people here who like the game as much as you do. Equally there are those who are not so keen. It may well be the change in approach adopted for TS4 which you like is the reason why some people are not so keen. It is a complex thing to analyse and understand.

As long as you are happy I would not worry too much about why others are not comfortable with the game in it's current form. As you get more into the game you will find there is a strong culture of story telling and building. There is also a technical section and opportunities to ask Gurus questions. I find most people very helpful and supportive and I am sure you will too :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    > @hmae123 said:
    > Criticism and hate are not the same thing. If I take the time to give feedback about something, positive or negative, it means I took time out of my day and I care.
    >
    > But I'm happy to hear you're enjoying yourself and the game. Happy simming. :-)

Goodness, I didn't mean 'hate' literally. I wouldn't give a video game that much power! It's just an observation. I am new to these forums and assumed that a lot of people here loved it. I am now seeing that is not really the case, which is fine, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

No worries. I just meant not to take all the negative posts as hate so much as general feedback. Many have grown frustrated with the game over the past months for various reasons.

I really liked it for quite a while too and have hope it'll get back on track eventually. I think and hope the feedback might help, even if much of it can be negative.

I hope you keep having fun with it though. Glad you're enjoying it. :)
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Welcome to the forum @hunt577‌ !
  • Options
    hunt577hunt577 Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    > Welcome to the Forum hunt577 I am pleased to hear you like the game and that you are happy to invest in the GP and coming EP. There are people here who like the game as much as you do. Equally there are those who are not so keen. It may well be the change in approach adopted for TS4 which you like is the reason why some people are not so keen. It is a complex thing to analyse and understand.
    >
    > As long as you are happy I would not worry too much about why others are not comfortable with the game in it's current form. As you get more into the game you will find there is a strong culture of story telling and building. There is also a technical section and opportunities to ask Gurus questions. I find most people very helpful and supportive and I am sure you will too

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it and found it to be very polite. I am all for open conversation and people disagreeing and sharing there opinion. With that said, I feel a lot of the comments towards me in this thread have been rather condescending. You can certainly disagree without being this way, and I certainly do feel that it was intentional. I actually regret starting this thread based on how it has gone. I wish all of you well! I'm out.
  • Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > Not everyone is into linear scripted play along with the beauty of zero detail, lazy animations, left out animations and life-states. Yes, i said life-states because the lazy interpretation of a baby isn't one, in fact Teens are exactly the same as adults except the woohoo animation is renamed to mess around. The elders are adults but die during woohoo. I could go on to tell you the other million reasons why this game isn't worthy of being a sims title but there are enough threads for you to look at.
    >
    > I'm glad you enjoy it but I wouldn't touch that game with a PC from 1998

So you don't like the game at all, that is clear. Isn't this a forum about the Sims 4? I am not saying you have to like the game to be here, but I do find it rather strange that so many disliking the game are actively on the Sims 4 forum. I mainly posted this because I figured most people who are browsing these forums actually enjoy the game and would be in at least some sort of agreement. Again, I am new to the forums so maybe they purged the other Sims forums and this is the only one. In that case, my point is moot and I could then understand the predominant disliking replies. I am seeing negative signs above everyone's heads towards me, lol - just a corny sims reference.

I wonder why so many people that absolutely hate the Sims 4 are on the forums here all the time, too. Regardless, you are seeing a larger number of negative posts here because your thread title invited them over. There are alot of people that like the game too.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    > Welcome to the Forum hunt577 I am pleased to hear you like the game and that you are happy to invest in the GP and coming EP. There are people here who like the game as much as you do. Equally there are those who are not so keen. It may well be the change in approach adopted for TS4 which you like is the reason why some people are not so keen. It is a complex thing to analyse and understand.
    >
    > As long as you are happy I would not worry too much about why others are not comfortable with the game in it's current form. As you get more into the game you will find there is a strong culture of story telling and building. There is also a technical section and opportunities to ask Gurus questions. I find most people very helpful and supportive and I am sure you will too

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it and found it to be very polite. I am all for open conversation and people disagreeing and sharing there opinion. With that said, I feel a lot of the comments towards me in this thread have been rather condescending. You can certainly disagree without being this way, and I certainly do feel that it was intentional. I actually regret starting this thread based on how it has gone. I wish all of you well! I'm out.

@hunt577 , please don't leave because of this. I don't think anyone meant to be condescending. They're just trying to give you their view-point.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    > @Shepherdmoon said:
    > hunt577 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > hunt577 , please don't leave because of this. I don't think anyone meant to be condescending. They're just trying to give you their view-point.

Thanks for your reply, but I am not leaving the forum - I just regret starting this thread is all.
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    Not liking something because it lacks all the features we loved in previous Sim games does not equal hate. The hate word is over used imo and does not apply here. That's wonderful you enjoy the game the way it is however many of don't have anything in game left to enjoy atm.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

This is a Sims forum. Just about everyone here is a huge Sims fan, just not everyone likes this iteration. For the people who don't, they want their input heard as they want to spend their $$ on Sims, but on something Sims that they love. It would be bad if all these hardcore Sims fans were to disappear -- it wouldn't be because they suddenly liked the game, but it would be because they finally gave up on the series. That's sales lost for EA.

The gurus have said repeatedly they want both positive and negative feedback. I'm glad for people who love the game. But Sims 4 is still being completely panned elsewhere, and it's here on these forums where you'll find the hardcore fans who will say why, with the hope that changes will be made and that the game will be made better.

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    > @Shepherdmoon said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > hunt577 , please don't leave because of this. I don't think anyone meant to be condescending. They're just trying to give you their view-point.

Thanks for your reply, but I am not leaving the forum - I just regret starting this thread is all.

Don't regret it :D No one here is trying to be mean, it's all a discussion :)
  • Options
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    >

I apologise if I can across as condescending. Times in the Forum have not always been peaceful and people are still a little wary. Your choice of topic is brave. I would suggest having a read round some of the threads to get some idea. I am pleased to say not all of them are negative. We need more new members like you who appreciate that open conversation with respect for the other participants is important. I look forward to seeing you again. Betty

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    As others have said some like the game, some don't. It's just all opinions formed by individuals. I mean I know many here who love GTA, and that game has never attracted me. I didn't like even when I tried to play it a year or two back. As long as people don't start insulting and calling each other names over their opinion of sims 4 I'm okay with discussing with everyone on the forum. :smile:

I have been playing sims since the first came out 15 years ago. I first saw it in a PC Magazine with an interview from the original creator, Will Wright, it was a preview interview and I had to wait a whole year for sims 1 to actually be released after that lol. Since I was still pretty young my parents got me an expansion pack every Christmas. Makin' Magic is still my favorite expansion pack of the sims versions. Then sims 2 came along and I played that one too. Loved the whole generational aspect, and humor. I never quit sims 2 and still play it today. I loved and disliked some aspects of sims 3 as well and that brings me to sims 4. I honestly like the game, got it when it went on sale during black friday and have been playing it ever since. Some of my favorite parts of sims 4 is the multitasking, rotational game play, and being able to do stories in game. I love doing stories. How do you play sims 4 hunt?
  • Options
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I apologise if I can across as condescending. Times in the Forum have not always been peaceful and people are still a little wary. Your choice of topic is brave. I would suggest having a read round some of the threads to get some idea. I am pleased to say not all of them are negative. We need more new members like you who appreciate that open conversation with respect for the other participants is important. I look forward to seeing you again. Betty

No I wasn't talking about you Betty, I actually was thanking you for your reply as I do appreciate it. I was referring to previous posts before yours.
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I apologise if I can across as condescending. Times in the Forum have not always been peaceful and people are still a little wary. Your choice of topic is brave. I would suggest having a read round some of the threads to get some idea. I am pleased to say not all of them are negative. We need more new members like you who appreciate that open conversation with respect for the other participants is important. I look forward to seeing you again. Betty

No I wasn't talking about you Betty, I actually was thanking you for your reply as I do appreciate it. I was referring to previous posts before yours.

Its alright, the forums can get like that sometimes @hunt577 , don't take it all to heart :D Happy Simming!
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2015
    Well... they don't really have emotions. There is just a giant UI telling you what your sim is currently "feeling" in billboard sized letters. Also their emotions change at the drop of a dime and they only seem to react to objects and not each other. They don't care about births, deaths, cheating, birthdays etc, but they will become absolutely enraged if they walk into a room with an "angry painting."

And those emotions they have don't really seem to affect them in any significant way. It's like how evil sims in ts3 could take evil showers which were identical to regular showers except for the name in the pie menu. They just get a few emotion specific interactions they can do which don't really do anything special.

Also, I fail to see how they can say they focused on the sims themselves when babies are objects, teens are just young adults with a "teen" label above their heads who can't get full time jobs, and they omitted an entire lifestage (toddlers).

I think the emotion system could do with some serious tweaking....
  • Options
    > @Bettyboop55 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sorry I am tired and on my way to get some sleep. My misunderstanding. Good Night and good luck with your thread :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    I actually don't understand what you mean by "I don't understand the dislike of this game." There's not much to it other than people feel as if they were 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out of dollars and/or it doesn't suit their play style. What you like others will not always feel the same.
  • Options
    > @Clk1143 said:
    > As others have said some like the game, some don't. It's just all opinions formed by individuals. I mean I know many here who love GTA, and that game has never attracted me. I didn't like even when I tried to play it a year or two back. As long as people don't start insulting and calling each other names over their opinion of sims 4 I'm okay with discussing with everyone on the forum.
    >
    > I have been playing sims since the first came out 15 years ago. I first saw it in a PC Magazine with an interview from the original creator, Will Wright, it was a preview interview and I had to wait a whole year for sims 1 to actually be released after that lol. Since I was still pretty young my parents got me an expansion pack every Christmas. Makin' Magic is still my favorite expansion pack of the sims versions. Then sims 2 came along and I played that one too. Loved the whole generational aspect, and humor. I never quit sims 2 and still play it today. I loved and disliked some aspects of sims 3 as well and that brings me to sims 4. I honestly like the game, got it when it went on sale during black friday and have been playing it ever since. Some of my favorite parts of sims 4 is the multitasking, rotational game play, and being able to do stories in game. I love doing stories. How do you play sims 4 hunt?

Well I am still on the first generation of my Sim family. I started off with a single family household, she is a young adult who is estranged from her family so she is trying to make it on her own. I hope this doesn't come off bad but I really played her as a troubled girl and she slept around with other men and ended up pregnant. She has since had her son, which has wised her up a lot and she is now married with another baby on the way. The father of her son is very much involved in his life and she is also on a friendly level with him again after a very disgruntled relationship. So things are actually going very well for her. The focus is now starting to shift more on the son and his story. He is a very happy, positive child.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Alysha1988 wrote: »
    Well... they don't really have emotions. There is just a giant UI telling you what your sim is currently "feeling" in billboard sized letters. Also their emotions change at the drop of a dime and they only seem to react to objects and not each other. They don't care about births, deaths, cheating, birthdays etc , but they will become absolutely enraged if they walk into a room with an "angry painting."

And those emotions they have don't really seem to affect them in any significant way. It's like how evil sims in ts3 could take evil showers which were identical to regular showers except for the name in the pie menu. They just get a few emotion specific interactions they can do which don't really do anything special.

Also, I fail to see how they can say they focused on the sims themselves when babies are objects and they omitted an entire lifestage (toddlers).

I think the emotion system could do with some serious tweaking....

I guess something's wrong with your game, because anytime something like that happens all the sims on the lot or nearby react in some way.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I like the Sims 4, but I don't think its better then TS2. I haven't played TS2 for 7 year and just recently I started again and its amazing. But I cant stand TS3 I had every expansion and I was so bored (so its not I'm judging something I haven't played) TS3 had nothing to offer me I don't care about open world, my Sims never left the house, I don't care about cast ( that was fun for a day, but then became extremely annoying) I care about game play. So TS4 and TS2 are good to me.
    CASt is gameplay.
    And maybe if you would have left the house you would have found more gameplay ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    > @Clk1143 said:
    > As others have said some like the game, some don't. It's just all opinions formed by individuals. I mean I know many here who love GTA, and that game has never attracted me. I didn't like even when I tried to play it a year or two back. As long as people don't start insulting and calling each other names over their opinion of sims 4 I'm okay with discussing with everyone on the forum.
    >
    > I have been playing sims since the first came out 15 years ago. I first saw it in a PC Magazine with an interview from the original creator, Will Wright, it was a preview interview and I had to wait a whole year for sims 1 to actually be released after that lol. Since I was still pretty young my parents got me an expansion pack every Christmas. Makin' Magic is still my favorite expansion pack of the sims versions. Then sims 2 came along and I played that one too. Loved the whole generational aspect, and humor. I never quit sims 2 and still play it today. I loved and disliked some aspects of sims 3 as well and that brings me to sims 4. I honestly like the game, got it when it went on sale during black friday and have been playing it ever since. Some of my favorite parts of sims 4 is the multitasking, rotational game play, and being able to do stories in game. I love doing stories. How do you play sims 4 hunt?

Well I am still on the first generation of my Sim family. I started off with a single family household, she is a young adult who is estranged from her family so she is trying to make it on her own. I hope this doesn't come off bad but I really played her as a troubled girl and she slept around with other men and ended up pregnant. She has since had her son, which has wised her up a lot and she is now married with another baby on the way. The father of her son is very much involved in his life and she is also on a friendly level with him again after a very disgruntled relationship. So things are actually going very well for her. The focus is now starting to shift more on the son and his story. He is a very happy, positive child.

Sounds like a good story so far. Do you think the son is going to be happy forever, or will you insert some twist into that ?
    Stories like that are right up my alley. Most of my sims have something tragic, or dramatic in their lives. My happiest sim is the one whom plays pranks on his roommates.
  • Options
    > @Clk1143 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sounds like a good story so far. Do you think the son is going to be happy forever, or will you insert some twist into that ?
    > Stories like that are right up my alley. Most of my sims have something tragic, or dramatic in their lives. My happiest sim is the one whom plays pranks on his roommates.

I am thinking he is going to be gay, or I might wait for that on her 2nd or 3rd child. I would actually like to play one of my sims as a married gay relationship and have them adopt. What I love about The Sims is that the possibilities are endless. Unlike her life, I think I would like his to be more positive. Hers is definitely more positive now, but she went through some dark spells. Let's just say she had the Very Sad emotion a lot, and now she is mostly always happy. The son is getting into trouble at school and pulling pranks and getting caught so we have to get that addressed, lol.