Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let it die

Comments

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »
    Bye! Okay now back to the topic at hand.

I wish they would tell us what the engine is capable of. Any programmers around? It would be more useful to discuss whether to keep or scrap if we knew what could be done.

For example, I've heard that open world and CASt aren't possible. I've read in other threads that it's not certain whether the engine could handle adding in toddlers. Thoughts?

I am dubious about Open World or CASt ever coming back, but I am curious as to why people wouldn't think that the engine could handle toddlers?

I read a thread on Mod The Sims one day where someone basically asked, how much of TS4 could potentially be changed by Modders. One of the replies surprised me by saying that really, the sky was the limit, assuming that Modders had access to the code. What do you think? Could there possibly be a day that we see a Twallan-esque Modder come along and make the game playable in the way that many of us want it to be? Would it even be a possibility?

I'm honestly not sure, but what I am sure of is that they shouldn't have to. I do not want to have to rely on mods to make my game playable. If I get so dependent on a mod only to have that modder quit the game and stop updating it what then? There goes my game.

We paid good money for this game and it's just a hollowed shell of what it should be. EA should be fixing it, not the community.

I agree 100%, there have been a few times that I wanted to tell you about the mod that fixes the changes to the Never Weary trait, but I got the feeling that it was all about the principle of what EA did and them taking responsibility for it, rather than being able to hotfix it.

I just don't trust EA to do much of anything. Their track record in the past has left me unimpressed and their actions on TS4 so far have left me beyond annoyed.

Yes people have told me about the mod, Im glad you understand that it's about much more than that. :) Thanks

I agree with you. I feel the same way. Never modded the sims 3 until they announced no more patches.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »

Sleeping bags came with Generations.
    Tents came with WA.
    Fire pits came in various content.
    Survival items, of a sort, came with IP.

I know a lot of requests for camping content were always showing up in the old forum.

Ok. It is sometimes hard to remember where items came from. I am hoping though there is some actual camping with the gamepack.

Out of curiosity, what is considered actual camping? I'm not a big camper (OK not even a little camper) so I wouldn't really know what to expect besides tents/sleeping bags and campfires. What are you hoping to see besides that?

do you mean game wise or just real life. i can tell you about when my family goes camping and stuff.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    The points in the video are valid. You can't say anything about the pools because at the time the video was made the pools did not exist in the game. I am glad they were added back in later.

Also who is to say pools weren't going to be DLC. Just because they patched in for free doesn't mean it was never intended as DLC. I doubt. I doubt we would have gotten them free or anything if it were not for most the simmers being horribly upset.

I am glad they were added in later, however clearly they weren't apart of the original base game design. Who knows what other long list of content that's been stripped from the game awaits us in the store.

I mean look at this game pack. Camping has always been apart of an expansion, however now for 20 dollars you can buy it separate from the game as dlc.

The problem is we do not know that. We know that people complained about not having pools in the base game. We know that there is still a petition for pools and toddlers with about 25,000 signatures on it. You can speculate it any way you desire, but the fact is they did give us the pools.

• Options
    The points in the video are valid. You can't say anything about the pools because at the time the video was made the pools did not exist in the game. I am glad they were added back in later.

Also who is to say pools weren't going to be DLC. Just because they patched in for free doesn't mean it was never intended as DLC. I doubt. I doubt we would have gotten them free or anything if it were not for most the simmers being horribly upset.

I am glad they were added in later, however clearly they weren't apart of the original base game design. Who knows what other long list of content that's been stripped from the game awaits us in the store.

I mean look at this game pack. Camping has always been apart of an expansion, however now for 20 dollars you can buy it separate from the game as dlc.

The problem is we do not know that. We know that people complained about not having pools in the base game. We know that there is still a petition for pools and toddlers with about 25,000 signatures on it. You can speculate it any way you desire, but the fact is they did give us the pools.

Should we read into the fact that there isn't even any news about toddlers?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Tents came with WA.

I know a lot of requests for camping content were always showing up in the old forum.

Ok. It is sometimes hard to remember where items came from. I am hoping though there is some actual camping with the gamepack.

Out of curiosity, what is considered actual camping? I'm not a big camper (OK not even a little camper) so I wouldn't really know what to expect besides tents/sleeping bags and campfires. What are you hoping to see besides that?

To me camping is being able to sleep,cook and have 'facilities' in an RV. Then I'm not cranky and I can happily commune with nature. I don't think an RV is included in the GP.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

Should we read into the fact that there isn't even any news about toddlers?

Absolutely. They already know it.

• Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Tents came with WA.

do you mean game wise or just real life. i can tell you about when my family goes camping and stuff.

Well, I did go camping once in real life. I ended up sleeping in the back of the SUV because I just clearly wasn't cut out for roughing it :smile:

I think I was more curious about what people who will be buying the pack are expecting. Gruffman had mentioned that he hoped to see "actual camping". So what does that mean? Actual tent pitching animations? Building and lighting a firepit? Canoeing? Following Sims on hikes? Just gauging expectations for the future, pretty much.

• Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2015

Tents came with WA.

To me camping is being able to sleep,cook and have 'facilities' in an RV. Then I'm not cranky and I can happily commune with nature. I don't think an RV is included in the GP.

Lol we don't even do that but there are bathrooms near the campsites, i remember when we use to go when i was a kid. We went fishing, hiking, played games, went exploring, caught bugs (my brother did anyway), went swimming, etc. My mom use to bring her castiron dutch oven and make berry crumble in it for desert. I know we got to roast and eat a lot of stuff over the fire which was fun. It's wise to bring a lot of board games and outdoor toys for kids to play with. We even did little hand crafty things, like making flower necklaces and bracelets. >.< but i hate mosquitos and at night they seem to bite me the most i always retreated to my tent first.

Oh some how we always found other peoples kids during camping and played with them and took them back to our camp to eat and play.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    In the end if we find out that they created a brand new sims engine which doesn't support some of the most beloved features why? Why would they do that? If it's not fit for purpose why has that been allowed to happen?
    And if it was true then why did they only announce missing content three months before release?

Basically I think it could do a lot more if EA were prepared to pay for a proper budget and enough staff to get the job done quickly. The onus is on them, not us to fix this mess they created.

I'm sorry some are happy and don't want to hear it but how does it benefit you if the game fails because your fellow simmers can't financially support the sims 4 in it's current state? And why should customers be expected to invest further without assurances?

We all saw bugs stack and never get fixed in the sims3, the precedent is set and once again the onus is on EA to fix this perception-not on us. Modders are fantastic but shouldn't be expected to do all EAs dirty work. It's not fair and it's not right for them, or us as customers. We shouldn't need third party support if we don't trust it.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I mean look at this game pack. Camping has always been apart of an expansion, however now for 20 dollars you can buy it separate from the game.

I don't know if I would call the tents and such for WA as camping as they are being showed for the gamepack. But I can't think of any other camping stuff that has been in an EP.

Vacations in sims 1 and vacations in sims 2. Camping was apart of WA expansion it was more than just the tent, remember you get alpine valley and or what was it three lakes for sims 2. It's always been apart of the expansion.

think of it this way if you play 20 dollars for each part of a map and game content that Vacations possessed in sims 1 you'd pay 80 dollars for an expansion as to paying about 40 to 50. Again paying more than what the actual content is worth.

The sad thing is the npc isn't even clara the bear that tip toes and steals honey it's just an npc in a costume.....

Actually, it was Sims 1 Vacation and Sims 2 Bon Voyage. Sims 1 Vacation came with about 9 new lots for vacation, tents, hotels, beach volleyball, vacation prizes, a rental booth, archery, souvenirs, and mascots that pestered sim kids as well as camping. I'm not sure when the campfire object came out for Sims 1 that let you tell ghost stories and Bluebeard might show up. Sims 2 Bon Voyage came with 3 new subneighborhoods for Bon Voyage, a mystic shrine that either granted good wishes or else something like poison ivy, text adventure tours, hotels, room service, exotic food stands, and a dance and a gesture for each of the three neighborhoods, digging for treasure, and a hidden lot in each of the three neighborhoods.

Claire the bear just knocked over and ate trash until Makin Magic's bee hive came out, then she started stealing honey. Gotta admit though, that was a cute touch.

I am excited to see what they add in this game pack. I may wait until the first reviews are in from fan sites before I spend my money since I may not have time to play my game with tax season upcoming.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I honestly don't think people get the difference between a general discussion and feedback. Feedback: "information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc., used as a basis for improvement." Discussion: "the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas." So if threads only expect one point of view or say that only one group of people can post here, it is feedback. Saying I love Sims is feedback. Saying I hate when people post negative responses is feedback. Saying I hate when people post only positive responses is feedback. But when topics allow any Sim to discuss about the Sims rather than give feedback about fellow Simmers, it is an actual discussion. Ideas get discussed and so do ways to improve the gaming experience to everyone. Feedback isn't the voodoo of any site anyway. Sims forums isn't the only forum to consider it the negative part of forums. This video itself is feedback and the OP doesn't agree with many of the points the video brought out, but the thread allows discussion from any kind of Simmer whether they agree with the video or not, but they are free to express their ideas of what to make the game better or what aspects of the game they do like. It is a beautiful thing when both sides can have a civil discussion together and it is possible to do.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    edited January 2015
    Ironically this thread is called Let it Die and as we can see it's very much alive :P
    If you guys are interested, I'll be doing a video on DLC and unfinished games on my YouTube (siloPIRATE), inspired in part by the mess that is Sims 4 (1.5)
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I imagine the GP will sell fairly well just for the simple fact that people are starved for content.

It won't sell as well as it could have but you have a valid point that I would like to elaborate on.

You know, EA could have charged something like 200 dollars for the base game of TS4 if they made sure the game was all that.

People might have cried about it at first, but then they would have manned up and gotten their wallets out,... if the game was really good.

Because that's just how starved all gamers are for really good games now a days.

How has it come to this?

Its because companies like EA choose the low road and instead of producing quality and charging for quality they would rather try to hustle like a sleazy used car salesman.

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »
    Andrew060 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    He said only the truth.

In your opinion.

I acknowledge the game has a lot of problems that has turned people away from it, but for me this game has been the best in the franchise since TS2. One person's idea of Heaven is another person's idea of Hell.

No not just in his/her opinion, it's fact. Most of what the guy in the video was doing was explaining whats in the game and whats missing. I dont see how thats an 'opinion'. It's pure fact.

saying the game sucks and that no one should buy it is an opinion..."missing features", in this case, is ALSO opinion...Sims 4 DOES NOT have these features to begin with, so how can they be missing?...you see?...this is Sims 4...not Sims2...not Sims 3...a totally different game and experience
    It does not matter whether YOU think Sims 4 is not MISSING anything and it doesn't matter if EA has the same weird mindset as you. The number increment implies it's a successor of Sims 3. If it was a standalone game they should have given a different name. I don't know how many people told you that before but I know I'm not the first one. Anyway, all what matters are sales figures and they are lower than expected because of disappointed Simmers. I will not adapt to a dumbed down game like this, not because it has "Sims" printed on it nor for any other reason.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    So are you guys gonna join whoever is the guy talking in the video in letting the game die? You guys should do it soon so we can get The Sims 5 already :kissing_heart:

No. The game doesn't need to die. Improvements, sure. We can talk all day long about improving it, but dying, it is a little too early for that.
    You're right. It doesn't need to die. It just needs to move on by making a new Sims game and leave the past mistakes behind.

That will be probably about 5 years down the road whether they make the game sooner or later. By then, who knows what will happen? Besides, for them to make a new game, they have to allocate staff. Staff time is probably one of the biggest budget items in making a new game, and hardware and software also factor in. Think of it like a movie. If a movie doesn't sell well, does the studio then have an incentive to release a sequel, let alone make a large budget for a sequel? Consider Simcity 5. Do you really think there will be a Simcity 6?

The current Sims 4 game has a very small town feel to it. I will admit I did not watch the video because I expect it rehashes the same things I have heard over and over on these forums: no toddlers, no family trees, no CASt, no color wheel, babies as "objects", no gardener, lazy maids, no repairman, no cars, no open world, no expansion pack features, no hot tubs, no story progression, teens too hard to distinguish from adults, no dishwashers or trash compactors, death by emotion is too easy to do, overly moody sims, the guy doesn't like the game but shows an ad at the end, did I miss anything?
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    The current Sims 4 game has a very small town feel to it.

More like it has a very no town feel to it.

I don't even consider these places to be "Worlds", or "Towns"... to me, they are simply very small hoods.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It is definitely not a town. Well maybe if you are out in the sticks, and you don't close your eyes or blink when you are going through it so that you don't miss it.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    It is definitely not a town. Well maybe if you are out in the sticks, and you don't close your eyes or blink when you are going through it so that you don't miss it.

16hog2g.jpg

It really is more like a sims themed version of the truman show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vq27lUV_5g

• Options
    ts3semlts3seml Posts: 440 Member
    edited January 2015
    So are you guys gonna join whoever is the guy talking in the video in letting the game die? You guys should do it soon so we can get The Sims 5 already :kissing_heart:

If Sims 4 dies, I see very little hope for 5. My feeling is we need to hope for Sim 4 to become great.

Tents came with WA.

I am actually hoping that there is a place for us to go to camp - another location. I could change my mind if it is just equipment and not a vacation location. I'm assuming it is going to be a place to use vacation days but I could be so very wrong.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member

No. The game doesn't need to die. Improvements, sure. We can talk all day long about improving it, but dying, it is a little too early for that.
    You're right. It doesn't need to die. It just needs to move on by making a new Sims game and leave the past mistakes behind.

That will be probably about 5 years down the road whether they make the game sooner or later. By then, who knows what will happen? Besides, for them to make a new game, they have to allocate staff. Staff time is probably one of the biggest budget items in making a new game, and hardware and software also factor in. Think of it like a movie. If a movie doesn't sell well, does the studio then have an incentive to release a sequel, let alone make a large budget for a sequel? Consider Simcity 5. Do you really think there will be a Simcity 6?

The current Sims 4 game has a very small town feel to it. I will admit I did not watch the video because I expect it rehashes the same things I have heard over and over on these forums: no toddlers, no family trees, no CASt, no color wheel, babies as "objects", no gardener, lazy maids, no repairman, no cars, no open world, no expansion pack features, no hot tubs, no story progression, teens too hard to distinguish from adults, no dishwashers or trash compactors, death by emotion is too easy to do, overly moody sims, the guy doesn't like the game but shows an ad at the end, did I miss anything?
    Yes I understand it takes a lot of time and preparation but those are what is missing. They are, in fact, running out of time. If they don't take action, there will only be a few thousand players left who will still pay attention and hope for the better. These past four months, the drastic change of attention towards it is decreasing exponentially compared to its predecessors.

If it didn't get a proper sequel by then, it's fine by me. But what about the others? They'll be even more devastated and would furiously bash this company and the game far more than all the negatives you have ever seen since you joined this forum.

It's not because they would lose "incentive" for publishing the worst Sims game ever. Business is business. This is EA's signature merchandise. They're not gonna stop. Not when Sims 3 had over 10 million copies sold. EA does have enough money to start a new Sims game, if they didn't let all their earnings from Sims 4 go to waste like making EPs, SPs, GPs to prolong its lifespan when they knew for a fact that it has failed since its release.

If they suddenly cancelled all the plans and discontinued the series, it just means that they haven't cared from the start. Everyone would boycott this company.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    [quot'd rather have loading screens between lots (even though they are a slight annoyance at about 30 seconds each) than virtual chat rooms in every lot. If the forums here are bad, consider how much worse those chat rooms could get: like anything online, there would be trolls. By the way, EA did fix Simcity 5 so that a single player mode is now available and working (well mostly working, it doesn't generate computer neighbor cities for you in single player mode so you get stuck with no neighboring cities). I think the single player mode is even available offfline. Too bad it took them so long. (I waited until single player mode was available before getting Simcity 5.)[/quote]

I just build my own neighboring cities.
  • Options

16hog2g.jpg

It really is more like a sims themed version of the truman show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vq27lUV_5g

This movie gave me nightmares for years, no wonder I am not a fan of ts4...
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I imagine the GP will sell fairly well just for the simple fact that people are starved for content.

It won't sell as well as it could have but you have a valid point that I would like to elaborate on.

You know, EA could have charged something like 200 dollars for the base game of TS4 if they made sure the game was all that.

People might have cried about it at first, but then they would have manned up and gotten their wallets out,... if the game was really good.

Because that's just how starved all gamers are for really good games now a days.

How has it come to this?

Its because companies like EA choose the low road and instead of producing quality and charging for quality they would rather try to hustle like a sleazy used car salesman.

I agree, I know I would have been willing to spend more for the base if it was all that. No problem. I will pay for quality, what I won't do is spend my money on garbage. It's to bad they decided to be used car salesmen instead of a Rolls Royse dealer. :\
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top