Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I don't prescribe to any war @MolliMontana same as I don't see 'sides'. All of our opinions and experiences differ and are just as valid. Not interested in the ridiculousness that goes on with back and forth! ;)

It's really sad seeing on twitter people abuse each other over it, same as elsewhere on these forums-it's completely pointless and daft. I've had people tell me I'm not a 'real fan' for not enjoying TS4 which has to be the most ridiculous assertion ever. Who exactly gives anyone the right to judge others on stuff like that?! It's just ignorance in dealing with difference and discrimination based on something so ridiculous that you can't believe it goes on.

I do wonder if the team thought giving ideas to freeplay would 'force' us all that way and out of their hair. Except freeplay is totally different from a sims PC game and you can't even compare them!

Don't take it personally please. I agree with you here. It was just something I wanted to say. Nothing special.

I know, I was just agreeing with you and elaborating ;)
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Oh, okay, never mind =)
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I'm so terribly sorry @sparkfairy1 and @PHOEBESMOM601 , it's always so terribly heartbreaking when you lose one of your furry family members, I think probably everyone around here knows how it feels.
    A couple of years ago, we had to do the same with our lovely grey kitty, she had a huge tumor in her stomach, and was too old to endure all the cancer treatments. The vet said it was kinder to let her go. My husband had to take her, I simply just couldn't go. She adored hubby the most but it cut him up a lot. I still miss her.

I am so sorry. *hugs*

@Pary Thanks, it's all still very raw.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Anemone7 wrote: »
    Something TS4 players can't have without modding the game: Massive family trees.Turpis-Geneology_zpsnj38t765.png

What is the mod called? I need it ^^.

Sorry for getting off-topic but this is bothering me: I really wished one time we could end this silly and childish war between S3 and S4 supporters. Every sims game is unique on it's own and has it's advantages (and disadvantages) over the other. This will never change; they are all (!) superb games. Right now I am enjoying TS3 and TS4. There is no point in arguing since this is a matter of taste. It's like to fight over which food or music genre is the best. There is no answer for this.

master command or no culling, they remove the cap of 180, sims however, this can "hurt your game" at long time, increase your load times and make you game become unstable(crash) or if already crashing can increase the crashing, sims 4 not was proper developed to support large populations or saves.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Something TS4 players can't have without modding the game: Massive family trees.Turpis-Geneology_zpsnj38t765.png

Sorry for getting off-topic but this is bothering me: I really wished one time we could end this silly and childish war between S3 and S4 supporters. Every sims game is unique on it's own and has it's advantages (and disadvantages) over the other. This will never change; they are all (!) superb games. Right now I am enjoying TS3 and TS4. There is no point in arguing since this is a matter of taste. It's like to fight over which food or music genre is the best. There is no answer for this.

No one is arguing as to which game is better. Okay, let me rephrase that LOL At least I know I'm not arguing about that. What my grievance is the total over all regression that the Sims 4 has undergone. For me the real problem with the Sims 4 is that Sims 2 and Sims 3 exist. If we had gotten this game right after Sims 1, then there would be nothing to compare it to and we all (i.e. all simmers) would have been very pleased with the game.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Ellessarr wrote: »

master command or no culling, they remove the cap of 180, sims however, this can "hurt your game" at long time, increase your load times and make you game become unstable(crash) or if already crashing can increase the crashing, sims 4 not was proper developed to support large populations or saves.

I don't want to derail this thread any further and since I have no idea of making videogames or coding in general I can't comment on this. Let's leave it at that.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2015
    I still wish children and teens had more to do. Elders don't have a lot either. I really miss having the play interactions. It was cute actually watching Sims play together rather than playing with an object and just talking. I'm ok if Sims want to talk, but I guess I just expected better multitasking than what was provided. I loved Mary Mack and Red Hands and tag. I hope Elders get awesome retirement homes with aquatic classes and knitting sharing a photo album with their grand kids.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited October 2015

I use the "MC Command Center-mod". You can get it over at MTS. It does a lot more than just preserving the family tree, though. i'm not a rotational player, the reason my sims have so much relatives is that the mod also creates a form of Story Progression in your neighbourhood. There are different modules to cater to everyone's needs.

Ellessarr wrote: »

The mod i use doesn't stop ghost culling, it just spares the ghosts tied to your family tree. I delete townies manually if they get too many and it's not a great hassle (ETA: Although i would prefer them fixing the culling already, so you don't have to use mods). I'm on gen 5 and it doesn't hurt my game in the least.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I mean, the robotic thing was on and off for me. Sometimes my Sims were alive and living and truly feeling! But other times they were just like :neutral: . They sort of bothered me, but I think it was mainly because they all stood the same way and it felt off since they were all slouched to the side.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Alright, thank you @Anemone7 . Did not know it had a feature like this.

• Options
    It seems like according to this mod description there is a Bypass Family Ghosts option in MC Command Center: http://modthesims.info/d/545615

"I run my game with Deaderpool's MC Command Center mod, which includes its own townie generation and code for culling ghosts. It is entirely possible that I haven't experienced any culling because whatever new functions EA might have added have been overridden by Deaderpool's code. I'd advise anyone experiencing family tree destruction to install this mode and its Cleaner module, which has a "Bypass Family Ghosts" function."

So I don't know if that is by setting Cleaner_CleanGhosts false up or not.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I do think what is neccessary to discuss is how the developers take shortcuts wherever they can nowadays and "blame" it on new features. In a sequel, you should get new features without having to sacrifice important other ones, it's how improving a base game works imo. They need to know we simmers are not gullible enough to trade in things that take more resources for shiny things done in two minutes (i'm exaggerating of course and i mean it in general).
    I don't want to discuss which version is better, but i DO want to discuss how to better the one they still develop content for.
  • Options
    Sending you my love @PHOEBESMOM601 sorry I was a bit out of it yesterday *big cuddles*
  • Options
    I do think what is neccessary to discuss is how the developers take shortcuts wherever they can nowadays and "blame" it on new features. In a sequel, you should get new features without having to sacrifice important other ones, it's how improving a base game works imo. They need to know we simmers are not gullible enough to trade in things that take more resources for shiny things done in two minutes (i'm exaggerating of course and i mean it in general).
    I don't want to discuss which version is better, but i DO want to discuss how to better the one they still develop content for.

Totally with you there, couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

A ) by adding more content
    B ) by not rushing it
    C ) by finding a balance between the new and old (stuff).

The problem is to find out which content to add first since every simmer has it's own priorities. Maxis/EA can do whatever they want. There will be always people who feel upset about something.

• Options

B ) by not rushing it

The problem is to find out which content to add first since every simmer has it's own priorities. Maxis/EA can do whatever they want. There will be always people who feel upset about something.

By hiring more staff of appropriate disciplines. Graham said that they only have a couple of engineers and FX were sitting around 'twiddling their thumbs' which suggests a big inbalance in the correct disciplines on the team. Probably because engineers are more expensive.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

B ) by not rushing it

The problem is to find out which content to add first since every simmer has it's own priorities.
    I think life stages are an important priority because they could effect what features packs have for them. I mean look how many packs have gone by without anything for toddlers. It worries me with supernaturals too because I really wanted to have alien toddlers again. It makes me sad too babies being tied to objects because there have been so many packs without content for them too. I really hope there is more nursery items. Elders and children need to have things for them too. Plus thinking of seasons and pets without all the life stages makes me sad too.

Fixing culling and incest are important too. Plus the world sizes need to be large enough to fit all the new content that comes in with packs. So yes there are a lot of things for the Maxis team to work on. Having terrain and pond tool would just make vacation and season lots more interesting.

I agree with sparkfairy, they do seem understaffed because even developing the Sims 4 so far seems like they are biting more than they can handle.
  • Options
    Yupp, I agree with both of you @Scobre and @sparkfairy1 .

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

B ) by not rushing it

By hiring more staff of appropriate disciplines. Graham said that they only have a couple of engineers and FX were sitting around 'twiddling their thumbs' which suggests a big inbalance in the correct disciplines on the team. Probably because engineers are more expensive.

That's not exactly what he said (http://simsvip.com/2014/07/04/the-sims-4-simgurugraham-explains-development-cuts/ for reference).

He was explaining project management and in particular why some less priority tasks could happen before more priority but also more complex tasks. And that's because project management is like a huge puzzle with plenty of oddly shaped pieces. Nothing in what he said indicates there is not enough engineers (and there are far more than a couple of engineers credited in the games) or that the FX guys were twiddling their thumbs (they were busy with their own list of things like the tram).
  • Options
    ...you’ve created free time for other disciplines who previously had work, but are left twiddling their thumbs… so you need to find work for them to do that only impacts the areas that you have time to spend in.

That's his own words. I saw on the actual site he wrote it on, at MTS.

They lost a bunch of staff before release. Then they moaned about time. Exactly in that speech. Now RF says it wasn't time, but rather a decision she made and the best decision she's made for the game to date. They don't have consistency in their stories so people are annoyed. A lot of people bought when they promised toddlers were a priority and since then they've done everything to get out of honouring that. Including releasing a survey asking if we even want them proving that they clearly haven't got on with them.

At any time they could have addressed the issue given the hit to their reputation and in my opinion it shows me loud and clear exactly what their attitude is to those they let down that they will give interviews like that after they have our money.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    You should read the context, he is talking about what happens if you remove plenty of others features to make room for the more complex and priority features, he isn't even talking about the FX guys in this paragraph. It's an hypothetic scenario to explain how balancing staff/tasks/etc is complex.
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    You should read the context, he is talking about what happens if you remove plenty of others features to make room for the more complex and priority features, he isn't even talking about the FX guys in this paragraph. It's an hypothetic scenario to explain how balancing staff/tasks/etc is complex.

I understand. But it suggests that they don't have enough money for enough staff that they cut the huge features AND so many 'little ones'. That's what boggles my mind. So not only did we not have pools, toddlers, ghosts, etc we had no dishwashers, very limited NPCS, no home phone, etc just to name a few. It makes no sense because they cut the big features and the small features!
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Could someone please tell me how many sims population wise you can you have in a sims 3 world? Is there any chance of losing player made sims like there is in sims 4?
  • Options
    Could someone please tell me how many sims population wise you can you have in a sims 3 world? Is there any chance of losing player made sims like there is in sims 4?

I've not heard of culling in TS3, but I think it depends on your computer as to how many it copes with.
  • Options
    @Pary might know. I know it was mentioned in the Den, but I forgot the amount. I think it was in the thousands. TS2 cap is much higher too.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top