Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Actually there is talk that EA itself is doing a Sims 5 on console - for X Box and PS4 - and not doing Sims 4 on console at all. Apparently EA is not all that happy with Sims 4 either. I find that ironic with the way the Sims team speak of how well Sims 4 is doing - well apparently EA does not agree as they decided not to port Sims 4 to console in 2016 as they apparently first told console players. Incidentally I was not aware they told console players they would be getting Sims 4 in 2016 to start with, as I do not play on consoles or even pay attention to most news for consoles. LOL.

But what is being reported is EA is developing a brand new console game for Sims 5 and then will eventually port it for use for PC (which is very backwards from what they have done previously) - but they literally said Sims 4 is not worth adapting a port for console.

ETA - Also I would not count on 4 more years of production on Sims 4 unless EA does not have the port for Sims 5 pc or something of the sort - as generally pack production in the past ran under 5 years - Sims 1 was 4 years period, Sims 2 4 and a half years. Sims 3 did run an extra pack because Sims 4 was delayed. I figure that if you are lucky there will be 2 to 2 and a half years more for Sims 4 production unless EA decides other wise one way or the other. I also think if sales keep dropping, and rumor is they have been going down - again not sure as I see no stats yet on this - they might wrap early or just keep tossing out stuff packs until they have something else, like 5.

I seriously wonder about making Sims 5 specifically for console though - although it worked well for EA in most of it's other games it stopped putting on pc, but for us pc fans I won't be a happy camper as i have no intention on buying the PS4 or the newest X - Box. So to me it is a horrible idea - never mind how console versions are never as good as pc versions. All I can picture is Sims questing galore. Awful idea if you ask me - but then no one asked me, now did they?

I am already bumming and not at all a Sims 4 fan even though I own most of the game - I still had not given up on getting toddlers and other things that might change my mind about this version. Suddenly - I am not feeling this happening....

Here's some of the reports saying this by the way:

http://christiandaily.com/article/the-sims-4-rumors-ea-skipping-on-porting-the-sims-4-to-focus-on-console-friendly-the-sims-5/53600.htm

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/sims-5-rumors-why-sims-4-may-never-release-xbox-one-or-playstation-4-545275

http://www.vinereport.com/article/the-sims-5-rumors-sims-4-no-longer-coming-to-console-sequel-game-rumored-instead/12470.htm

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/the-sims-4-rumors-electronic-arts-opts-for-the-sims-5-over-the-sims-4-console-port/48129.htm
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2016
    Well, if Sims 5 was being made for consoles, then I hope it will be like how the new PS4 Skyrim is being modified to include the ability to add mods, etc.

I have a PS4, so I'm not concerned about it being console in the first place. I usually prefer PC, but I do sometimes play games on consoles as well.

My biggest fear, though, is whether Sims 5 will be more limited than the main PC sims iterations. While I did enjoy some console Sims games like Urbz for GameCube, and Castaway for the Wii, etc, they didn't have as much sandbox freedom or as many choices as the PC main sims games did.

I'm really curious how Sims 5 will be like if it's made for console. Will we be able to add mods or CC is the next biggest question.

If sims 4 and sims 5 can provide me with lots of great content (made in a timely manner) and still give some flexibility and options, then I wouldn't mind the move to consoles, since I already play both PC and various console game systems. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    I'll mind - a lot. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I'll mind - a lot. LOL.

Yeah, for sure, lol! :lol: I'm sorry. That would stink for non-console players.

But they said they will port, no?

Maybe I'm also not as bothered because I'm just used to consoles, handheld, and PC exclusive games for certain types of games?

Some games are only on handhelds, others are only or mostly found on certain systems (see certain types of JRPGs and console exclusive games), and others are only or mostly found on PC (see Sims, some strategy games, certain types of indie games, etc).

I'm glad some games are becoming multiplatform or becoming (good) ports nowadays. :smile:

Hey, like some simmers keep telling other simmers, if you want to play modern games, you got to pay the high price for them*...in various ways.

*ETA: I'm thinking of the lecturing that sometimes occurs on these sims forums about some players' PCs (like mine) not being able to play Sims 3.

We're always told that games are a luxury, and that we should pay the high price for a new computer to keep up with games like Sims 3 and others, blah, blah.

Well, if these console rumors are true, (and if there is no PC port), now there is the possibility one may have to pay the high price of getting an expensive console now.... :tongue:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2016
    PC game ported from a console? Oh dear, that sounds like it is going to be a mess. XD Can't they just develop both versions separately? I like when the console versions feel different from the PC versions. If the Sims 4 already felt like a mobile game, then the Sims 5 is going to be worst if that is their decision. Prepare for more linear play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    If the Sims 4 already felt like a mobile game, then the Sims 5 is going to be worst if that is their decision. Prepare for more linear play.

That's my main concern, too, @Scobre .

At the same time, for me, I did and will do enjoy some of those other linear games, so.... We'll see how it goes.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'll mind - a lot. LOL.

Yeah, for sure, lol! :lol: I'm sorry. That would stink for non-console players.

But they said they will port, no?

Maybe I'm also not as bothered because I'm just used to consoles, handheld, and PC exclusive games for certain types of games?

Some games are only on handhelds, others are only or mostly found on certain systems (see certain types of JRPGs and console exclusive games), and others are only or mostly found on PC (see Sims, some strategy games, certain types of indie games, etc).

I'm glad some games are becoming multiplatform or becoming (good) ports nowadays. :smile:

Hey, like some simmers keep telling other simmers, if you want to play modern games, you got to pay the high price for them*...in various ways.

*ETA: I'm thinking of the lecturing that sometimes occurs on these sims forums about some players' PCs (like mine) not being able to play Sims 3.

We're always told that games are a luxury, and that we should pay the high price for a new computer to keep up with games like Sims 3 and others, blah, blah.

Well, now you will have to pay the high price of getting an expensive console now.... :tongue:

Well we used to have all kinds of consoles - but I found I preferred pc much better and all our consoles just sat there taking up a lot of space - never mind getting my kitties in tons of trouble - so one day I just up and cleaned house - packed up each console and all their games and shipped them off to various family members who wanted which ever one I was offering. My hubby is a pc technician in real life - so naturally I always have a killer pc that can generally run circles around any kind of console. He rebuilds my pc with the latest and greatest every two years - so there really is no point in having consoles really. There is no game out there - made for pc anyway - I can't play right now. I just got my latest rebuild back in November -Asus z board - 8 (4.7ghz) core with 16 gig high speed gaming ram and all the bells and whistles just so I could play Fall Out 4 on Ultra with no issues. LOL. I detest issues.

There is a saying that "if momma isn't happy, no one in the house is happy" well that is me when it comes to my pcs - so needless to say I run an even better pc than my PC technician hubby who also happens to be an avid gamer. I do not hate on consoles, I just think pc does it better. Okay to be fair I did not have a ps4 (we had a ps3 was the last ps we bought, and my Xbox was like the first Xbox ever, so also not the latest and greatest - but the fact I saw no point in having them when I knew my pc can play anything - had a nice comfy desk and executive comfy chair - all set up and ready to go with a push of the button and most of all did not tie up my large screen tv.

The consoles used my tv, had to be set up, used my coffee table, and neither couch or floor was ever all that comfortable to sit on playing games on console - never mind the fact our kitties would drive players nuts trying to keep them away from the systems or playing with the many disks for each one. No one liked putting the consoles away after use and there was never any harmony between people wanting to play the same game - it was mass mayhem most of the time. They had to go. Everyone got their own pc in their own room. AWWWWW Peace restored and a always clean, neat living room for watching tv.

Sometimes it reaches a point when enough is enough - and I had reached that point. I won't go back even for Sims 5. Especially if they make it solely for the console - even if they port to pc - lets face it - console versions of the Sims never was quite as good as the pc versions. Well I should say in my own view anyway.

Now my kids are no longer home - they have their own places. So it is out of the question - I will never waste another dime on a console. As it just would never get any use. For me it is pc all the way.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I have one of the console versions of the Sims, don't recall which one or which console without a search in the game bookcases. I do remember it was awful and that is one of the reasons I didn't start playing Sims3 until 2012. I told my hubby not to get the PC version until it got cheap enough to try since I knew I didn't like the console version. He finally got it for my birthday in 2012 and of course, I fell in love with the PC Sims3 version. I'm really not thrilled about Sims5 being console version if it is at all like I remember the one I played.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I have one of the console versions of the Sims, don't recall which one or which console without a search in the game bookcases. I do remember it was awful and that is one of the reasons I didn't start playing Sims3 until 2012. I told my hubby not to get the PC version until it got cheap enough to try since I knew I didn't like the console version. He finally got it for my birthday in 2012 and of course, I fell in love with the PC Sims3 version. I'm really not thrilled about Sims5 being console version if it is at all like I remember the one I played.

Totally agree for me as well.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I actually really want the Sims 5 to develop the console, PC/Mac, and laptop as separate versions. That way they could be built to fit multiple platforms well without imposing the creative freedom of any version. It is something that the Sims 3 and 4 suffered for was making the laptop/desktop versions separate from each other like what the Sims 2 offered with the Life Stories series. I don't want family play effected again just for the sake of performance of lower end/laptop machines that don't seem to meet the min requirements anyways.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I have some pics. Its continued from my current game though a little bit of a twist :#

Ok so I moved the family to Roaring Heights as I wanted Adam to forget his past conquests and concentrate on adoring his wife and child. Though I have to mention now that I had to change the child's name Dirk has now become Dennis.
    So i will put it out there finally Adam was behaving himself, adoring his wife and looking after his child like a true family man. He deserves a round an applause lol. He took Shanna out on a date, and oh my was there romance.
    Screenshot-11_zpsbllyvlwy.jpg
    Also Dennis (Dirk) aged to a child. They had a small birthday with a freshly made cake.
    Screenshot-12_zpsgokp2g3o.jpg
    Things were good for the family. Both careers were going well, Adam completed his lifes goal and Shanna is unexpectedly pregnant, which both were happy about.
    Oh but things took a bad turn. I shall just post a series of pics....
    Screenshot-14_zps7el8x1n0.jpg
    Screenshot-18_zps03ymya1w.jpg
    Screenshot-16_zpssxaf6c9j.jpg
    Screenshot-20_zpsviciimkf.jpg
    Though the heart break of the event wouldn't stop Dennis (Dirk) conforting is ex-stepmum
    Screenshot-21_zpsvef4lbr2.jpg
    R.I.P Adam :naughty::naughty::naughty:
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I can't do console type games, because tendonitis/carpal tunnel in my hands and fingers is strongly triggered by the controllers. Plus, it becomes very painful very quickly. I have to have pc games. Keyboard and mouse seem to be kinder to my hands.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for TS5, though I am somewhat fearful that either they won't make one or they will continue with their 'vision'. Thus dooming the game completely. /sigh

More pictures folks, please. I need them to keep my TS longings in check. LOL

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    For me: The major problems I personally have with just sticking to solely PC, for me, is that 1) my PC sometimes can't handle some games and I really don't know how to upgrade and can't differentiate between all of those graphics cards, 2) I use PC for other things, so those take up space, so less space for games, and 3) some of my favorite games are only on console or handheld systems, like Okami, Odin Sphere, various JRPGs, Inazuma Eleven series, Pokemon, Nintendo games, etc.

So, yeah, as much as I have a lot of favorite PC games, I personally love the consoles as an option as well. :smile:

I think consoles and mobile/phone stuff are just more accessible for those of us who don't understand how to upgrade all of those various aspects of the PC or don't want the added stress and money of doing so.

Or for those of us that like certain types of console or handheld games or games that work better with console controllers, etc.

Consoles and handhelds still have a use for me.

It also helps me to dedicate a few systems to the games instead of clogging up space on a PC where I have other programs and tons of other smaller games like indie PC games.

So I would love a console version of Sims (if it was made well, of course).
    (She/her)
  • Options
    I actually really want the Sims 5 to develop the console, PC/Mac, and laptop as separate versions. That way they could be built to fit multiple platforms well without imposing the creative freedom of any version. It is something that the Sims 3 and 4 suffered for was making the laptop/desktop versions separate from each other like what the Sims 2 offered with the Life Stories series. I don't want family play effected again just for the sake of performance of lower end/laptop machines that don't seem to meet the min requirements anyways.

Actually that would be ideal but seems EA has their own "Vision" along with pretty much all the big studios of one game that works across all platforms - even including VR. At least so they said at one of their last big investors meetings. Seems the wave of the future for gaming period where one game will work in any type of system you are using. I know myself I cannot fathom lets say an Android or I Phone playing a VR game - I mean really game industry? Do we not already have enough dangerous accident happening with those things and mobile games that they want to add VR and head sets to the mix. I see disaster because you know no matter how many times they suggest it for use when not in motion - ever means anyone will listen to that. Look at how many people are still talking on cell phones while driving and it is illegal to do so - do they really not see this a disaster to put everything on one single multiplatform?

I just don't get that kind of mindset no matter how hard I try - and I know I do not want to waste my super computer on playing mobile apps either. Ridiculous.
    I definitely agree with you Scobre - they need to widden the choice not narrow it down to one for all. That is crazytalk.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Actually that would be ideal but seems EA has their own "Vision" along with pretty much all the big studios of one game that works across all platforms - even including VR. At least so they said at one of their last big investors meetings. Seems the wave of the future for gaming period where one game will work in any type of system you are using. I know myself I cannot fathom lets say an Android or I Phone playing a VR game - I mean really game industry? Do we not already have enough dangerous accident happening with those things and mobile games that they want to add VR and head sets to the mix. I see disaster because you know no matter how many times they suggest it for use when not in motion - ever means anyone will listen to that. Look at how many people are still talking on cell phones while driving and it is illegal to do so - do they really not see this a disaster to put everything on one single multiplatform?

I just don't get that kind of mindset no matter how hard I try - and I know I do not want to waste my super computer on playing mobile apps either. Ridiculous.
    I definitely agree with you Scobre - they need to widden the choice not narrow it down to one for all. That is crazytalk.
    Yep exactly. Future seems scary even with regards to the Sims I guess. I just hope family play and deviant play aren't alienated with another iteration.
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    I can't enjoy Sims games when they're on console.

The Sims 3 was a disaster on console, I remember that. It ran a lot like TS4 runs now, actually. You can SEE the lots, but you can't GO to the lots without a loading screen. Also, they had to take out a lot of features (I'm pretty sure having babies was one of them, but I can't for the life of me recall. Stairs WAS one, though). Same with TS2 and TS1. The console versions of those games were wildly different from the PC ones because you have to program the game to work with a CONTROLLER, not an entire keyboard and a mouse. It's restrictive.

If anything, I hope that it ends up being like how AAA games are treated when it comes to PC and console releases. The same exact game (REALLY GOOD) with different controls. My mind shoots to Witcher 3. I played the PS4 version because it looked and ran better on it, but the game was still the same enjoyable experience whether I played on console or PC. As of right now, The Sims series on console has always been a significantly lesser experience.

tl;dr: If they're going to make TS5 on console, they need to work on the PC version at the same time. They need to both be identical and GOOD. Don't dumb down gameplay and game mechanics to cater to the console.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    @Tremayne4260 @elanorbreton @Scobre This has actually been bothering me a lot recently, so I went to the modding scene and LO AND BEHOLD! Someone made mods that you can pick and choose regarding the Doctor and Scientist (they haven't gotten to detective yet) careers that do things from adding more staff (ESSENTIAL for Doctors) to making ONE task be enough to fill up the bar for the day and making event days happen more often. I grabbed all of them and my game's been so much more tolerable.

Being a scientist is better, don't get me wrong, but being a Doctor? WORLDS better, holy heckle. It takes less time/fewer actions to get a diagnosis, children can be assessed to get a guaranteed diagnosis because they can get a wider range of tests now, it's all just....really good. If you want a link to the mods, let me know, but just know that there arethings people are doing to try and make the game more playable...or at least BETTER to play.

I've got both the doctor and scientist mods but haven't had a Sim in either career since I installed them -- glad to hear they're working great (I installed the Retired Scientist one first for one of my families; I should re-create that family because they were an alien family and I wanted the mom to be a stay-at-home scientist and now I can).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,611 Member
    This is bad news indeed imo. I actually started my love for the sims on console with the very first original game. But somehow it never felt right. As soon as I found out it was also on pc I bought that version straight away and always feel that pc games of this type are far superior to the console versions.

To me, a console is for playing shoot-em-up games, sports games, driving games... not sims games. I can just imagine what TS5 will be like if they do this. Better get on and enjoy TS4 while we still can :D
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I really can't see any reason why they would think TS5 would do well on console before being released on PC... It doesn't seem like something they would or should do, because if they are then that's basically going to be a giant waste of resources. Ideally, it would be BG first in order to establish it, then a few packs, then like maybe 4 years after launch they finally release the console port along with some packs in it in order to fill it out. I don't see the point of them doing it now.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Well here are my Sims attending college. They just started so lots of reading and studying so far.
    Screenshot-55_zpsmmmra45v.jpg
    Screenshot-56_zpsmdpwlulj.jpg
    Screenshot-57_zps9wtzrigs.jpg
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Hello to everyone reading. :D

I know I should be in bed (it is after 2am where I am) But, I wanted to post a comment concerning the news on TS5. I haven't read the content @Writin_Reg linked to; but will soon.

@HIFreeBirdIH - It makes perfect sense why they would attempt a console version first (at least for me it does). Think about it this way, a lot of people prefer to DL their video games (I am not one of them, but a lot of people are). Whether that downloaded game is installed on a PC, gaming console or mobile device doesn't really matter (too much). The people have spoken and this is a popular (easy, quick) method of obtaining the product. Because of this, there are fewer and fewer games being cut to physical disc.

Plus, games made for the PC, players have to consider things such as OS compatibility, 32 or 64 bit versions, processor, memory, video card ect - those problems are all eliminated by using the console.

And, never forget, this is EA we are speaking of! Origin exists for a reason (just like patch 1.69 for TS3).

Putting TS5 on console provides an excellent opening for making that 'Online' game I have heard so much about. It puts (and keeps) your experience within their control. Simmers will be a much more manageable bunch once they are all on-board.

I won't even speak on the DRM portion of console downloaded games or, how updates (especially EAs updates) chew through your console memory; I'll just let that be. Hopefully, you will see where I am going with this.

@Scobre - Great pictures. Here's hoping your Sims get great grades! I'll be joining that fairy real soon! ;)

-Night Everyone!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Scobre Nice pictures from University Life :smile:

I have just started using the pose player mod from MTS and am really enjoying it :smiley:

Here is one of my pictures :smile:

13613109_1777922465823771_587166719335618272_o.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @mw1525 You paint a scary picture. I've already deleted the few origin games I had on my puter (sims2 and hospital something, and a few others) and disabled origin. Once I got my job, hubby went on the net with my list of ep's and sp's that I didn't have disk copies of, and bought those up. I already had the pre 2012 start up disk so I will not be tied to origin for Sims3. :) We checked everyone on his puter and they worked just fine. If something happens to them, oh well, I will deal. I have no desire to be tied to origin to download something I purchased in 2013 before they forced the tie in.

I understand being tied to the internet or servers for large games that are played on the internet with other people in your game such as WOW, and Final Fantasy etc. That is a choice that I make or don't make to play that style game. I don't understand a stand alone game that I play on the internet all by myself being tied to the internet. That would be like the spider solitaire game I have forcing me to hook to their server when I want to play a game of solitaire. I should be able to play a stand alone game when I want, where I want without internet. I don't like knowing that they can poke around in my puter at will if they chose too because I didn't check the right or wrong checkmark!!

@king_of_simcity7 Terrific pose!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @bekkasan Thanks for the kind feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »

Plus, games made for the PC, players have to consider things such as OS compatibility, 32 or 64 bit versions, processor, memory, video card ect - those problems are all eliminated by using the console.

But it's part of the fun of having a PC ;) You can build upon and replace hardware to cope with the future. (I do understand it's not for everyone though, but for me it's important)

I personally would never buy a console, it's way too limited for my taste. A high end PC is more expensive than a console, but instead console games are more expensive and there are not as many games to choose from. A PC is more powerful than consoles and can be used for lots of more things than just play on!

PC gaming has been declared dead or dying every two years for at least the past 20+ years.. pff. I saw a figure somewhere that there are 900 million PC gamers worldwide, and "only" about 262 million consoler.

Lastly, taken from E3 last year - PC gaming is poised to earn more in sales by the end of 2016 than its console counterpart, a trend many years in the making.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top