Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What spelling mistakes annoy you the most?

Comments

• Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    Ok, this is perhaps not a "spelling mistake", but more like further "destruction of the English language" :

"jelly" - instead of "jealous".

ARGH!!! Internet troll speak!! ARRGH!!!! My child uses that word, it makes me want to throw things.

Honestly, my biggest one is when I see the errors in books. People get paid to correct those things, why is there an error in my book?

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, being in the process of writing and editing a book myself, I don't find the odd spelling error in a book a huge deal. Not everybody can afford to pay an editor, and going through hundreds of pages and tens of thousands (If not hundreds of thousands) of words yourself is a lot of work. Part of it does depend how it's published, but even in a traditionally publish book if there's like one or two minor errors in it, it doesn't bug me much. Even if it's been professionally edited, editors are only human and make mistakes too (they shouldn't but they do, nobody should make a mistake at the job they're paid and trained to do, but I'm sure almost everybody has). If there's lots of errors, or really major errors it bugs me.
  • Options
    I saw this one last night, angle instead of angel, I see that one too often. It can be just a typo, but some people seem to believe that is the correct spelling. >.<
  • Options
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    I saw this one last night, angle instead of angel, I see that one too often. It can be just a typo, but some people seem to believe that is the correct spelling. >.<

I think errors like that and some of the others (they're, you're, our....etc) are mostly because we are typing in a hurry and our fingers get ahead of our brains.

It's when people are adamant that they are correct that has me shaking my head.

Like my example of using route instead of root, I got into a heated debate on a forum once about that. The people using the wrong word were 100% positive they were right and would not hear otherwise. That's when it gets annoying.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I think errors like that and some of the others (they're, you're, our....etc) are mostly because we are typing in a hurry and our fingers get ahead of our brains.

Like my example of using route instead of root, I got into a heated debate on a forum once about that. The people using the wrong word were 100% positive they were right and would not hear otherwise. That's when it gets annoying.

I wonder if that has anything to do with locale? Route is a generally a road or or a pathway as in Route 66 but in some places route is
    pronounced root as in a tree root.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

I wonder if that has anything to do with locale? Route is a generally a road or or a pathway as in Route 66 but in some places route is
    pronounced root as in a tree root.

Yeah, that was the argument I was given. However, it doesn't change the fact that the person had typed out route instead of root. They said they were routing for their favorite sport team to win. This was a person who ran around correctly everybody so I rather spitefully enjoyed being the one to kindly point out that you don't route for a team. They aren't a road or cable to be layed. You root for them.

Then started the whole argument about regional dialects/pronouncing, etc.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    edited November 2014
    Writing "to" when it should be "too", and it's instead of its and vice versa. Using irregardless instead of regardless.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    How about "auto spell" mistakes?

I lost count of how many times my phone ''thinks it knows better than me", what I really wanted to write... :s

(Sometimes, I lose so much time correcting the auto-correct. Mostly when I use the pen. ) :'(
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    To be honest, most of the time I think spelling mistakes are hilarious, rather than annoying. I know that I sometimes type non English words (especially French {I just did that; I typed especiallement accidentally lol}) thinking it's the correct spelling in English, then I look back and catch myself, but sometimes I don't. lol (I am also resisting the urge to replace each word I type with a homophone.)
  • Options
    How about "auto spell" mistakes?

I lost count of how many times my phone ''thinks it knows better than me", what I really wanted to write... :s

(Sometimes, I lose so much time correcting the auto-correct. Mostly when I use the pen. ) :'(

Ugh auto-correct is the worst. I just have predictive text now so it only changes if I select a suggestion (though I occasionally hit a suggestion by accident, but it's rare), but my last smartphone had auto-correct, it was so annoying. Though auto-correct fails are hilarious sometimes.
  • Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    I have seen a few people write wao instead of wow!.

"Wao" is actually just how Latinos write "wow."
    It is the accepted way of writing it in many Spanish-speaking countries.
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Juana wrote: »
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    I have seen a few people write wao instead of wow!.

"Wao" is actually just how Latinos write "wow."
    It is the accepted way of writing it in many Spanish-speaking countries.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    hellolucyhellolucy Posts: 1 New Member
    When people spell ''weird'' as ''wierd'' ugh
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    ploppo
    ^
    Shocker!
    I get it all of the time - and quite often it is Ploppo, not just ploppo.

It's plopppo!
    4 p's and the first one is lowercase!
  • Options
    Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    It grinds my gears when people use would of and should of. Stop. It is would've/would have and should've/should have.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    I woulda coulda and shoulda but didn't .
  • Options
    Threw instead of through.
  • Options
    CynthieeCynthiee Posts: 47 Member
    None because I understand it hard for learning people like me
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    Definately when it is definitely

That really annoys me for some reason

AND I DO IT ALL THE TIME xD
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I'm far more forgiving of spelling mistakes than I am of usage errors. For instance, you bare all but you bear with someone. The first implies you're revealing something. The second means you're putting up (carrying the weight) of something. That makes the misused phrase, "bare with me," hilarious when you think about it.

I could go on and on. Honestly, though? The longer I hang out in chat rooms and forums and Twitter and all these other places, the worse I get myself. I catch myself making the same mistakes others do because I see them so often. Makes me want to hit my head against the wall when I catch myself. Anyway, I really can't fault people when I sometimes do it, too.
  • Options
    cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    PSEUDOPSEUDOHYPOPARATHYROIDISM
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • Options
    I'm far more forgiving of spelling mistakes than I am of usage errors. For instance, you bare all but you bear with someone. The first implies you're revealing something. The second means you're putting up (carrying the weight) of something. That makes the misused phrase, "bare with me," hilarious when you think about it.

I could go on and on. Honestly, though? The longer I hang out in chat rooms and forums and Twitter and all these other places, the worse I get myself. I catch myself making the same mistakes others do because I see them so often. Makes me want to hit my head against the wall when I catch myself. Anyway, I really can't fault people when I sometimes do it, too.

Ugh I hate "Bare with me." I will not bare with you, but thanks for that delightful offer.

then you correct them and they're like "but bear is an animal. It has to be bare." No, just no.
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    emilzydiva wrote: »
    Definately when it is definitely

That really annoys me for some reason

AND I DO IT ALL THE TIME xD

I love it when people say "defiantly" rather than "definitely". It makes me laugh every time.
  • Options
    CarnieCarnie Posts: 1,237 Member
    Word Crimes by Weird Al. All of that.
  • Options
    CarnieCarnie Posts: 1,237 Member
    Cynthiee wrote: »
    None because I understand it hard for learning people like me

In my opinion, this does not apply to foreigners or people who do not completely understand the English language.