Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What spelling mistakes annoy you the most?

12346...Next

Comments

• NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    This one: Stationary and stationery. Stationary means to stay in one place. You write letters on stationery.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2014
    I hate the your/you're thing. As not beeing a native English speaker, I always have to think twice about what s.o. wants to tell me. And yes, in most cases this is pure laziness. I also think this laziness is dangerous. Young people read in online forums and learn the mistakes. If you always read the mistakes, someday you keep them in mind and start writing them wrong, too. So all is getting worse because of more and more people not being able to spell words right.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited December 2014
    I've seen this one a lot lately, like I can't even count the times I've seen it today alone, and I've noticed a lot the last week or so... suppose, instead of supposed or supposedly. The first couple times I assumed it was a typo and it didn't bug me, now it's really getting to me; don't be too lazy to add 1-3 letters to a word to make it correct.

Edit: and now I can't spell. I'm just going to hang my head in shame and walk away now...
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    U
    It's you!
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I like teh way you said that

.... I know it's just a typo, but it really bothers me for some reason.
  • kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2014
    Apostrophes that shouldn't be there annoy me far more than they should.

For example, a new GP clinic opened up a while ago near my house, and they put up this massive sign to say "TWO NEW FEMALE DOCTOR'S"
    They have since tried to cover the apostrophe in "doctor's" but you can still see it ;)

Also signs in my high school's cafeteria: "SANDWICH'S" "WEDGE'S" "ROLL'S" "TACO'S"

no no no no NO NO

edit: typo. (how ironic)
  • MiffoShortMiffoShort Posts: 1,901 Member
    Well I am currently trying to write a book, one I hope to get published in the next three years if possible. And I have to correct so many mistakes when I am writing with Microsoft Word. Mistakes such as...

Teh
    Their-There-They're
    Here-Hear

And plenty more, believe me it's such a pain... ;)
  • Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    Apostrophe abuse. It is very annoying.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• elliskane3elliskane3 Posts: 2,050 Member
    I'm not really fond of people on Facebook talking like they were sending a text e.g. Where R U goin tonight (notice the missing question mark!). Do they know that they are not going to be charged for each message they send using Facebook? Lol. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I was just reminded of this, fortunately I only know one person that does it but to-day/to-night (but they don't use yester-day, I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse). Also when-ever. What is with the hyphen? Why are you doing this to me? Stop. I die a little every time I see that.

Also, of "coarse".
  • TheSimDionTheSimDion Posts: 234 Member
    elliskane3 wrote: »
    I'm not really fond of people on Facebook talking like they were sending a text e.g. Where R U goin tonight (notice the missing question mark!). Do they know that they are not going to be charged for each message they send using Facebook? Lol. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I usually start doing that when I get lazy and tired....
  • nightflower284nightflower284 Posts: 660 Member
    edited December 2014
    emergency and immediately. I can't stand it but I use these words allot in my stories. :s

> @despina53 said:
    > Then/than. I remember it by "then tells me when" and "than compares things". Another one is past/passed. Past = ago, done, gone; passed = past tense of pass, accepted as 'the bill passed in the legislature'.<

I get confuse on those words too.
    "Outside the dream world, life can be harsh, even cruel. But it is life." Auron to Tidus-FFX

MY ORIGIN ID:cth284
  • kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Also, of "coarse".

And, "I'm board"
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    When people use the word "funner". It's not a freaking word!
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • nightflower284nightflower284 Posts: 660 Member
    confusion of minuet and minuet. I cant tell which one is for time.
    "Outside the dream world, life can be harsh, even cruel. But it is life." Auron to Tidus-FFX

MY ORIGIN ID:cth284
  • tams2578tams2578 Posts: 705 Member
    confusion of minuet and minuet. I cant tell which one is for time.

Minute - time.
    Minuet - a type of dance.
    :smile:

Zwdtm8.png
  • justsomesimmerjustsomesimmer Posts: 13 New Member
    you're - your
    can't - cant
    there is - theres
    a blonde girl - a blond girl
    should've - should of
    it's a rude remark - its a rude remark
    because - becos

...ugh.
  • Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    to when it should be too.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    edited December 2014
    "My sqeudy spooch" iz sooo shorthand. Others commonly mistake my grammar/vernacular,for literacy issue's. However I can assure you this iz not the case. Im simply lazy,spoiled and privileged. Its my Write! Lol

Grammer na21'z feed on my soul,like vampires in a bloodbank.
    I love mah haterz tho;-/
  • TheSimDionTheSimDion Posts: 234 Member
    you're - your<br />
    can't - cant<br />
    there is - theres<br />
    a blonde girl - a blond girl<br />
    should've - should of<br />
    it's a rude remark - its a rude remark<br />
    because - becos<br />
    <br />
    ...ugh.

I am pretty sure that "theres" only happen because people get too lazy to use apostrophes. Same thing with "can't" and "it's a rude remark." I usually do that when it is like 1 in the morning and my arms get tired. It just kills my soul a little though when people use your and it is suppose to be you're. Every time a little bit of my soul dies. Every time.
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Dissapointed. It's a really common mistake in forums actually (at least it was in the EU WoW forums)
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000