Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What spelling mistakes annoy you the most?

Comments

• Options
    DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    grammar.jpeg

These always bug me.
    My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Hansku wrote: »
    I have to ask now, when are you supposed to use "affect" instead of "effect"? I never really got that.

If you're ever wondering about anything like that again this is a great place to look.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    Hansku wrote: »
    moongodess wrote: »
    Nope, you can affect change, which would cause the change to be effected. And now I have a headache.

Oops, here you go..
    "BE AWARE

There is a verb to effect. It is quite rare, but useful in business writing. It means to bring into being.

The new policy will be effected as soon as the paper is signed."

That covers your "effect change," so I'll happily give you that one ;)

Okay, now I'm confused again, too much english for me at this time of the morning.
    1303117426375_6116534.png

Affect or Effect?

Affect, most often used as a verb meaning “to influence or produce an effect or material influence upon,” is often confused with effect, which is typically used as a noun signifying “a change that results when something is done or happens,” according to Merriam-Webster.com.

There are some exceptions though, like when effect is used as a verb (e.g., to effect change) or when affect is a noun (as in the field of psychology, where it refers to an emotion or a psychological state). As a general rule of thumb, though, if you can put “an” in front of it, the word you want is effect.

Examples:

She isn't letting the poor weather affect her mood.

Unfortunately, the rain has had an effect on her mood.
    My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I mistype my name all the time. I'm a terribly dyslexic typist. :/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    Affect and effect are actually hard ones.

I always have to remind myself that affect = influence and effect = change/result.

I probably still get them wrong when typing in a hurry. I get more annoyed about the ones that should be common knowledge although I'm sure that in a rush to type I've made the errors myself.
  • Options
    elliskane3elliskane3 Posts: 2,050 Member
    People used to spell my name incorrectly all of the time.

They would write "Eliss" and I would say "ELLIS"! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It annoys me that I can't remember common sentence structure or that my typing isn't as fast as the worlds words in my head- that annoys the heck out of me. I try and try but once I'm done with checking proper comma and sentence books, POOF, it leaves my head. :(

And OMGoodness- if only I could spell and not have to back up because of spell check (I love you spell check but you annoy me- just fix it!) :lol:
  • Options
    Affect and effect are actually hard ones.

I always have to remind myself that affect = influence and effect = change/result.

I probably still get them wrong when typing in a hurry. I get more annoyed about the ones that should be common knowledge although I'm sure that in a rush to type I've made the errors myself.

And to top that off.....

affect, with the emphasis on the first syllable is....

A person that is depressed has a flat affect.

effect

When her husband died she picked up his effects.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    AxelTaylor01AxelTaylor01 Posts: 389 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Msot of the tmie I can flluy uredntsnad waht aynnoe tpeys. I hvae yet to fugrie out why.

=)
    tumblr_mcoph02Rob1qf70r5o1_500.jpg
    I know what you mean, guys try to decode it. :)

Wow, I can actually read that... You know, that may explain why some people have such difficulties with spelling. The human brain deems the middle unimportant, so we keep forgetting the seemingly very important middle.

As for mistakes that annoy me, It annoys me to death when people forget to type a word in a sentence. Despite trying not to, I still continuously make that mistake. So, I guess you could say, that my pet peeves are the mistakes that I make. I have a constant battle with myself, no matter how times I proof read, I always have a grammatical error somewhere.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Your/You're
    Their/There/They're
    Its/It's

Unless you're dyslexic or English isn't your first language. Things of that nature are completely understandable. Oh and when people type "ur" or "r" instead of "your" and "are." And things that bother me that I even do sometimes are "then" and "than." It usually happens the most when I'm in a rush but I dislike when I find myself making that error.
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I seriously know someone that spells "guys" as "gies". I don't know her well enough to correct her though. :#
    giphy.gif

• Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    None, Noon, Noune, Nun, Nuun, Noune.
  • Options
    TabbyrhTabbyrh Posts: 178 Member
    Your/ you're
  • Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    A lot of people from my old city would write "As" as "a$s" ...it would drive me crazy, but that's the govt's fault for completely ignoring that poor city. I remember being a junior and being smarter than my English teacher and biting my tongue every time she would teach those poor kids improper grammar.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited November 2014
    None..no one's perfect and everyone at some point makes misteaks.
    Post edited by BrittanyChick22 on
    giphy.gif

• Options
    HanskuHansku Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited November 2014
    None..no one's perfect and every one at some point makes misteaks.
    ...must... not... correct...
    you-cant-make-the-same-mistake-twice-the-second-time-you-make-it-its-a-choice.jpg
    AlA2dUe.gif
    finnish | ♀ | ♓ | intp
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited November 2014
    Spelling errors in published books. Like you couldn't have corrected the spelling in the book before publishing it?
    I'm looking at you House of Night. [Note: They spell Vampire as Vampyre.]
    Post edited by wolfkomoki1 on
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Teh.
    Instead of "the".
    (Especially when it's on purpose. )
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I have seen a few people write wao instead of wow!.
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    AiHaou wrote: »
    Spelling errors in published books. Like you couldn't have corrected the spelling in the book before publishing it?
    I'm looking at you House of Night. [Note: They spell Vampire as Vampyre.]

I think they intended for that. But it's been so long since I've read them that I don't know if it's constant throughout the books.
    On the topic of books...some authors spell things the "old" or a different way lol. Like Magic/Magick/Magik and their variations with 'a' at the end. So maybe HoN did that with vampire/vampyre it is consistent.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited November 2014
    I just typed they're instead of their in a response this morning on the forum. I thought of this thread and hurried up and made the correction before somebody could quote it, lol. The things our fingers type when we aren't paying attention.

*laughing* had to edit because are does not mean our.
  • Options
    haloujahalouja Posts: 175 Member
    Although I notice spelling mistakes they don't annoy me. What does irk me however, is when people incorrectly put 's to indicate a plural, for example:

Tomato's 50p a pound

often to be found written on signs outside fruit and veg shops.

Argh!
    This signature has encountered a problem and will now close; do you want to send an error message?

25Aug2014
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Ok, this is perhaps not a "spelling mistake", but more like further "destruction of the English language" :

"jelly" - instead of "jealous".

• Options
    Ok, this is perhaps not a "spelling mistake", but more like further "destruction of the English language" :

I can so relate. When people use words like preggers instead of pregnant !

• Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member

I can so relate. When people use words like preggers instead of pregnant !

Ikr! How hard is it to say pregnant if you can take the time to say or spell preggers?
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~