Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starter Homes Thread

Comments

• Options
    Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    thank you @rosemow :)
  • Options
    CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    I have another starter to share. it is very basic and requires outdoor retreat to use because there is no kitchen only the campfire.
    It cost: 18,380
    so it costs a little more than I would like but that's down to the pool and landscaping.
    Gallery link: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/318BE0BE216B11E58A8D064E3E752181

Starter Island
    2pzzmfl.png
    9huqs6.png
    25z3x2b.png
    10wqj9g.png

cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,624 Member
    edited July 2015
    Starter Island is very nice! @Charliimai. :) The roofing and the wooden texture of the exterior of the home looks nice! It looks nice how you have used the columns. The windows look nice placed either sides of the front door. The pool/pond is very nice! The shape of the pool is very nice. The rock, lily pads and plants water fountain feature is so very nice! Sims will enjoy fishing at their home. It is nice that you have a campfire for sims to enjoy toasting their food there outdoors in the air whilst sitting on the log themed seating. Sims will enjoy getting a drink or a quick meal from the cooler.
    It is very nice starter! :)
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Contrast Cube

I don't do "modernist" very often. Those very pure forms always look like they cost nothing to build, and then you get the bill.... I think it's the windows. All that glass comes at a price, and it adds up. Also, I guess, the fact that I chose to put in two double beds because I couldn't decide which bedroom to designate as the "master" and which the "kid's".
  • Options
    Contrast Cube is a very nice modern home @Xinqun :) The wooden texture of the exterior combined with the large glass windows gives a very nice look. It looks nice how you have done the white steps up to the front patio entrance. The trees look nice either sides of the front steps. Very nice layout of the interior of the home.The cubical design of the home looks great! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Xinqun wrote: »
    ...I think it's the windows. All that glass comes at a price, and it adds up....

Fun fact: The tallest glass windows are really cheap. It's the short ones that cost money.
  • Options
    @EmmaVane ...You're right. I never noticed this before. Those massive panes of glass are dirt cheap. 30 simoleons! That's the same price as the tiny only-good-for-bathrooms lightholes at the bottom of the figurative barrel.... What's the catch, they break easily? they leak? That's it, my next starter will be made with those windows!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    And here we go.

Industrotech, another modernist starter right after I said I don't often do the modernist style. Because huge panes of cheap glass. And that giant front door (repeated twice at the back) is also ridiculously cheap at 50 simoleons, compared to the 200+ of its shorter counterparts.

glass.jpg

(This starter also brought to you by the realisation that You Can Do That with counter island corners.)

(Edited to update image URL)
    Post edited by Xinqun on
  • Options
    Industrotech is a great starter home! @Xinqun :) It looks very nice how you have used the large windows in the build! The tall glass door looks nice. It looks nice how you have steps up to the entrance door. Very nice layout of the interior! The sunken study alcove area looks great! The plant in the corner is nice for sims to see when sitting at the table using the computer.
  • Options
    Thank you, @rosemow . I was originally going to stick a huge TV on the wall above the kitchen, but the cost would have been too great. Especially as I was beginning to envision the owner as the sort of person who did everything on their computer and had no use for TVs.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hello everyone,

Just built one of my first starter homes (I usually just download houses). I'd love to share and any feedback (including constructive criticism) would be welcomed :)!

Origin ID: Canuckfan86
    Forum ID: Vancanuckfan86
    Starter Home Name: Comfy Cubby
    Value: $16, 510
    Gallery Link: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/87EB2C3722A911E58E72B9E979FABC54

Here is an exterior picture, top down picture and a walls half up picture

Comfy%20Cubby.png

Comfy%20Cubby1.png

Comfy%20Cubby2.png
  • Options
    Comfy Cubby is a very nice starter home! @vancanuckfan86 :) The brick texture of the exterior looks nice. The exterior design of the home is very nice. Very nice roof covered front porchway. It looks nice how you have steps up to the front door. The windows look nice how you have placed them either sides of the front door. Very nice layout of the interior of the home! It looks nice how you have placed and angled sofas and armchair in the living room for sims to enjoy sitting resting there and have a chat. They will enjoy sitting there watching TV and reading a book from the bookcase. The shoes racks in the front entrance area of the home looks homely. Nice dining table alcove for sims to enjoy the sunshine coming in through the windows whilst they are sitting at the dining table eating their meals.
    The home is very nice :)

This is a link to your home on the gallery.
    http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/87EB2C3722A911E58E72B9E979FABC54
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback and the gallery link @rosemow . I appreciate all the feedback I can get :)!
  • Options
    @vancanuckfan86 I'm relatively new here, and this is only my opinion. I hope it helps.

Making up the built-in closet lends an air of verisimilitude to the place. It conveniently also creates the alcove for the shoe racks in the entrance way, so that's good too. However, the entrance to the master bedroom seems a little unnecessarily complicated: it might be better to carry on the wall of the closet to form a perfect 4x5 rectangle for the bedroom, so that one enters that room straight-on from a 2-square-wide hall instead of via a 1x1 corridor and a 1x1 vestibule.

The stepping back of the kitchen's floor pattern bothers me a bit. I feel that it should be (as with the master bedroom) a perfect rectangle; either 2x4 to exclude the back door, or 4x4 to include it. Alternatively, you could go 3x4 and move the back door elsewhere. I note that you seem to be using two single doors there instead of one double door, and I'm wondering why. There's a good set of double doors available already, nearly identical to what you're trying to set up with the single doors.

From the outside, the dining room looks like a sort of shed extension, and I was initially expecting it to contain the kitchen instead. If the kitchen were there, you could have a nice continuity of flow of living room to dining room, with the double doors (plus windows on either side?) aligned with the living room windows. I can see why you'd want the dining room off to the side like that, though: putting the dining area in an extension out from the main house means you can have windows on three sides around instead of just one. It might be a good idea, in that case, to get bigger windows just in that room, to really take advantage of all that exposure. (I'm a huge fan of the Narrow Outlook window, just so you know; if only it came in a solid dark brown! But there are other equally suitable full-height windows.)

This is just a suspicion, but ... is this house actually modelled from a real-life building? I see brickwork on the front facade, but clapboard siding on the other exterior walls. That's a thing done in real life, and I think it's because it's cheaper in real life to put masonry on just the one important facade that everyone sees than to put it everywhere. In the sims world, where clapboard is the same price (or is it actually more expensive? I forget.) the only reason seems to be to announce that there's something different about this one element here; to make a statement, if you will. I think this is the first time (although, remember that I haven't been around here very long) I've seen someone actually reproduce this, so congratulations there. Verisimilitude clearly means a lot to you, so good job on that.

You've been downloading houses for a while now, right? What do you like best about those houses, that you'd like to see incorporated into this?
  • Options
    @Xinqun Thank you for the feedback on my lot, it is much appreciated! I will take some of the feedback and apply to my next builds.

The reason I built the master bedroom as I did is because that was how my room was built growing up and I really don't mind having the 'mini-hallway' entrance to the bedroom as it is a bit different from the norm. I used the double doors in the back because I wanted to use the exact same doors as the front - this was really just personal preference.

Yes, the house is modeled off of a real house as that is probably how I'll build most of my houses. I do like realistic houses in my game which is why I chose to build this one. To me, this is a typical suburbia starter house which is what I was going for.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @vancanuckfan86 You're welcome, and good luck with the modeling! There are a lot of fascinating houses out there, and I've had a go at one or two recreations (well, adaptations, really) myself. I'll look forward to what you come up with!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Vertically Enhanced

VE.jpg

Bit of a mediaeval thing happening there, not that I've ever spent a lot of time looking very closely at mediaeval middle-class architecture. I probably should: I'm pretty sure no-one back then would have considered building something like this. Mostly this came from the idea about the balcony-turret thing over the entrance.

(Edited to update image URL.)
    Post edited by Xinqun on
  • Options
    The exterior design of Vertically Challenged is very nice! @Xinqun :) The roofing is very nice ! Very nice combination of textures of the exterior of the home. The balcony turret over the front entrance to the home is very nice! It looks great how you have done the front steps and have placed the front door around the corner. Nice gardening nook in the backyard for sims to enjoy growing and harvesting plants in the gardening boxes. The windows look nice how you have placed them in the home and the design of the home.
    The starter home is very nice :)
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Great medieval starter @Xinqun !
  • Options
    Thanks, @pronterus , @rosemow . To be honest, I've had more doubt about this one build than about any other one before.
  • Options
    AvatarOfShibbyAvatarOfShibby Posts: 34 Member
    I've really been enjoying this thread. Building has became my new interest in the Sims while I wait for new expansions. Building starter homes is really fun as well. I can't wait to start posting images and links in here.
  • Options
    I've really been enjoying this thread. Building has became my new interest in the Sims while I wait for new expansions. Building starter homes is really fun as well. I can't wait to start posting images and links in here.

Hello @AvatarOfShibby :) I will look forward to seeing pictures of your builds.
    Happy simming! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hello again,

I just built another starter and uploaded it to the gallery. It is also under 20k and mainly has a green theme throughout. It is 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. Hope at least one person is able to enjoy :)!

Origin ID: Canuckfan86
    Forum ID: Vancanuckfan86
    Starter Home Name: Green Cabana
    Value: $18, 244
    Gallery Link: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/13EAFCF525BB11E5849328213A4FB0EF

Green%20Cabana1.png

Green%20Cabana.png
  • Options
    Green Cabana is a very nice starter ! @vancanuckfan86 :) Very nice design of the exterior. It looks nice that you have used open shutter windows in the build. The side porch is nice. The layout of the interior looks nice. Very nice green colour scheme of the build. It looks nice how you have placed the armchairs either sides of the sofa, for sims to enjoy having a chat whilst watching TV. The floor patterning in the kitchen and bathroom looks nice. The circle wallpaper in the kids bedroom gives a very nice look in the room. It is nice that you have a study desk there for children to enjoy sitting and do homework or read a book from the bookcase. The red colour of the master bedroom walls complements with the green colour scheme of the home. Nice armchair sitting area in the room.
    The home is very nice :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top