Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Sims 4 End Up Like Sims Medieval?

Having only one expansion pack for it, due to mixed or negative response and then abandoned? Not sure if this has already been talked about, but I'm curious.

Comments

• Options
    AgnesAgnes Posts: 225 Member
    edited September 2014
    I liked Medieval. ;(
    I hope that Sims 4 gets a higher appeal to it once the second expansion comes out. They have to really add a plethora of pools and fountains though. J/k
    Unacceptable!
    tumblr_mtmsysCU6f1qzp9weo1_250.gif

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think the premise of TSM is in the back of a lot of people's minds. By that I mean this game is questy, (if that's a word), and the larger fanbase doesn't like quests in sandbox. TSM didn't appeal to the majority because it was a questing game, and TS4 has a lot of similarities from it. Like Focused and Inspired. Those of us who did play the TSM see a lot of similarities, and those who didn't buy TS4 was because of those very reasons. So, yeah, I get the same sort of feeling. It's too questy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I don't think it will go down like medieval but I don't think we will see as much content as we saw released for 3 either.

My reasoning for that is the amount of CC and mods I've seen already out for TS4.

I think CC makers and modders will likely end up outpacing EA's development of new content.
  • Options
    claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    Yikes. I hope not. :(
    tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    They need to add a lot of missing features. If they plan on charging for them, then they have to make it worth the price tag. Like pools...not just pools, but pool games, different height diving boards, slides, activities, etc. They exhausted doing just pools. Same with everything else they left out. Go big or kill the franchise. Many of US are not going to tolerate paying extra for standard features and even worse, paying for the same EPs a fourth time.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    A dozen or so major fixes then throw in at least 6 really good expansions and then maybe TS4 will be something instead of rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I didn't bother with Medieval because it didn't interest me. And I think SimCity is going that route because it only has 1 EP so far, probably because of the whole "disastrous overloaded servers at launch" thing.

Let's hope The Sims 4 won't go down the same path, because I actually spend countless hours playing these games. But then again, I can always go back to TS2 and TS3 if no EP's are made.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2014
    Out of curiosity, I checked out The Sims Medieval on Metacritic. 77/100 from 56 critics and 6/10 from 161 users.

Bit of a worry. Edited: Bit of a worry because it scores higher than TS4, in both categories.

• Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    I don't think so mainly because they made this game very easy to mod. So with that in mind I think we'll have enough of a base to get at least a half-dozen expacks. TSM failed because of a poor community/following. It was a little more difficult to mod as well.
  • Options
    Animastar wrote: »
    I think you are seriously over-estimating how bad this game is if you think it's not going to last past one expansion. It really is a great sims game if you give it a chance. It's just different is all, it's not bad.

Besides, Sims 3 got just as much hate as Sims 4 when it first came out, but it still lived to see a ton of expansions. Sims 4 will too.

Did you know I loved the TSM because it was a medieval game, with quests? Lots of people did. And did you know it wasn't a bad game? It was actually a very good game. It was just different. But not a lot of people want that many linear things to do in sandbox. And it lacked a lot of build mode just like this one. It was very different, but it wasn't a bad game. But the larger core fan base doesn't like a limit of features especially when they had them before, and or such linear gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think the premise of TSM is in the back of a lot of people's minds. By that I mean this game is questy, (if that's a word), and the larger fanbase doesn't like quests in sandbox. TSM didn't appeal to the majority because it was a questing game, and TS4 has a lot of similarities from it. Like Focused and Inspired. Those of us who did play the TSM see a lot of similarities, and those who didn't buy TS4 was because of those very reasons. So, yeah, I get the same sort of feeling. It's too questy.

I play the Sims Medieval and I bought the Sims 4. I do not see any similarities. :P
  • Options
    @Colton147, really? what do you call progressing because the Sim is Focused? or Confident? Or Inspired? Ring any bells?
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I hope not. They've got many differences though and I think the problem with Medieval was that it didn't reach the appropriate audience of fans, which means not too many so EA can keep on developing expansion packs. I like Medieval and I've been playing it to this very day, but I hope The Sims 4 ends up a far better game in the end.
  • Options
    @Colton147, really? what do you call progressing because the Sim is Focused? or Confident? Or Inspired? Ring any bells?

Those are emotions. The Sims Medieval does not have emotions. ;)

You don't need any "required" emotions for a promotion. I always have my sim go to work happy, angry, tense, etc. and they get promoted. ;)
  • Options
    ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    I remember when ts3 was released, it was so much hate, people always comparing withe the sims 2, it was the same thing, don't worry about the bad "reviews", I think TS4 is good and will have a lot of eps.
  • Options
    smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    it wouldn't surprise me if EA pull another fast one and ditch the game
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    I never bought sims medieval. Not because it didn't appeal. But because I just don't got the money for it. Maybe some time soon I will. I might even see about getting it this christmas. Because I've always liked medieval games. And a medieval game set in a sims universe, sounds really entertaining to me.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    smoogie wrote: »

Maxis technically runs the Sims games. If EA abandons the Sims franchise, Maxis lost their publisher and would need to find another publisher unless they decide to publish. ;)
  • Options
    smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    colton147 wrote: »

Maxis technically runs the Sims games. If EA abandons the Sims franchise, Maxis lost their publisher and would need to find another publisher unless they decide to publish. ;)

If EA ditch Maxis, I wish them good luck, maybe Maxis could go to an EA rival out of spite?
  • Options

Those are emotions. The Sims Medieval does not have emotions. ;)

You don't need any "required" emotions for a promotion. I always have my sim go to work happy, angry, tense, etc. and they get promoted. ;)

The Sim does better if you follow the goals of the game. Get them focused, confident or inspired. Same thing in the TSM, you can progress but it's easier if you have the right prescription. It's the premise that's similar.
  • Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    no
  • Options
    edited September 2014

If EA ditch Maxis, I wish them good luck, maybe Maxis could go to an EA rival out of spite?

I have a feeling that Maxis would go to Valve (owners of Steam) if EA abandoned them.. XD
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    Sims Medieval went on being too repetitive with the system of getting things done by doing the same "quest" over and over.
    And instead of just adding about 100 new quests in the expansion so people don't get bored... Only that. Nothing else.
    No. They added "dig treasure 2756358734523 times" achievement.

Of course such game died.

Sadly Sims 4 copied the worst part from it - too much of grinding in many areas.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    ceinwynie wrote: »
    I remember when ts3 was released, it was so much hate, people always comparing withe the sims 2, it was the same thing, don't worry about the bad "reviews", I think TS4 is good and will have a lot of eps.

TS3s reception was nothing like this one. That game actually sold in high numbers. There were a lot of grievers, but The overall majority were ok with the game. That is not the case this time around. Many people chose not to buy. While the game has many nice features, it is a downgrade from TS3 and somewhat TS2. There is nothing they can do to fix that So if They don't start bringing their A game, I see this as the last SIM game period.