Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random crash to desktop, possible cause and possible solution

Comments

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I couldnt even start the game without a crash. I did a repair game through origins. I was finally able to start the game. I followed the steps and so far it is working.
  • Options
    buntahbuntah Posts: 5 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, deleting my "not in this world" sims seemed to be working just fine ... but now the game is crashing again. I think I'm going to remove all of my custom clothing package files and see if maybe one of them is corrupt. I'll report back.

reporting back - removing all my mods didn't help. I'm still crashing regularly now. Maybe since the last patch (9/9)?

The game is pretty much back to unplayable now :-(
    Post edited by buntah on
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    buntah wrote: »
    Well, deleting my "not in this world" sims seemed to be working just fine ... but now the game is crashing again. I think I'm going to remove all of my custom clothing package files and see if maybe one of them is corrupt. I'll report back.

Try that game repair trick too!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    buntahbuntah Posts: 5 New Member
    edited September 2014
    > @luthienrising said:

>
    > Try that game repair trick too!

Tried that. Still crashing. I have to save a LOT so I don't lose too much progress; unfortunately, when I save, I tend to crash, so it's a losing battle at this point.

I'm so mad. Deleting the sims not in the world really seemed to be working for me UNTIL the 9/9 patch. Darn EA!!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So far I have been okay but I am noticing some slight lag. I notice when I get a dumb pop up saying maxis has favorite some house in the gallery is when I get the spike. I am wondering if the crashes are more gallery related and less neighborhood related. Anyone know how to disable those pop ups? I thought I was playing "offline." Doesn't seem to be the case though...
  • Options
    Also anyone know a way to disable the auto patch update? I never let sims 3 auto patch because of all the fail patches. It looks like I have to continue this ritual of waiting to see how it goes before I update my game.
  • Options
    WolfeiWolfei Posts: 4 New Member
    I will try this, it sounds promising. I am going to test this out traveling from place to place. Rarely have I been able to travel without it crashing, but eventually it will crash when I travel.
  • Options
    WolfeiWolfei Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Also, are there any setting ingame I should turn off, such as turn off autoaging of unplayed sims?
    edit: So I deleted pretty much everyone unplayed, then I clicked on my house and it crashed before it could load...
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Also anyone know a way to disable the auto patch update? I never let sims 3 auto patch because of all the fail patches. It looks like I have to continue this ritual of waiting to see how it goes before I update my game.

Both offline play and auto update are settings in your Origin software. Origin often wants to start me logged in if I've restarted the computer; now I start it first, check that I'm offline, and then start Sims from inside Origin.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Lady_ElurinLady_Elurin Posts: 129 Member
    edited September 2014
    Update: Since I've done this, my game still has not crashed. I'm even able to walk away from it if need be, come back later (sometimes 30 minutes) and save it without a hitch. My gosh!!!
  • Options
    puppypower343puppypower343 Posts: 54 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Okay so when u say delete all the households that aren't in the world how do u do that I mean like how delete all the sims expect for yours really confused
  • Options
    puppypower343puppypower343 Posts: 54 New Member
    So like also delete the goth family too
  • Options
    tinarusselltinarussell Posts: 114 Member
    Is this referring to custom content? I never use custom content but game was running absolutely perfect until 3 days ago, now it crashes a lot just out of the blue. Is this what you are referring to? I only have like 3 families in my world so if I delete them I would have no sims around to be friends with.
  • Options
    TechWiredTechWired Posts: 7 New Member
    I use Bandicam (unregistered) to make some videos for YouTube. Every once in a while this causes my game to crash right in the middle of filming.
  • Options
    lizmcdaniel26lizmcdaniel26 Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2014
    I tried this and my game crashed almost as soon as I started playing. :( I'm getting really, really tired of games that won't work.

edit: I think i'm done. I'm going back to the sims 3. EA needs to fix this game before I waste anymore time with it. i'm so disappointed. I understand that a new game is going to have glitches, but it's not even playable.
    Post edited by lizmcdaniel26 on
  • Options
    SevWolfeSevWolfe Posts: 4 New Member
    I've been having this problem since Day 2 of play (I bought Deluxe digital edition) and it has yet to be fixed. I've deleted all "not in the world" households. I have no custom content (it's always messed up my games from Sims 2 on). I'm constantly having to save so as not to lose progress, however, the game also crashes upon trying to save or save as *The EA Solution* but none of that is solving the constant crash problem. At this point I want my money back. :s
  • Options
    DigitSnakeDigitSnake Posts: 1 New Member
    Wait, so if I live in the first world, I can easily delete all the sims of the second one and it would be all fine?
  • Options
    LulubelleAppleLulubelleApple Posts: 36 Member
    My game just crashed again.

I'm starting to wish I pirated the game instead.
  • Options
    XennationXennation Posts: 113 Member
    Well you own the game, no harm in that... if only to run at base game patch level until the rest of this mess gets sorted.
    If I was helpful, or if you enjoyed my post always give a good rep or nice "Like / Thanks" by clicking below my post.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    This does make a lot of sense as the crashes occur randomly to me. Could be after twenty minutes, could be two hours. I'm thinking it MUST be something new being introduced to world that's causing the crashes.

Also, I have considered that the crashing MIGHT be related to custom music of all things.
  • Options
    starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    > @rensdesim said:
    > Yep all of them I didn't have a relation with (the once I had a relation with seemed fine when I called them over). Those I all removed and for the people wondering, the game those generate new sims if you remove them.
    >
    > Update: I'm now 15 Simdays without a crash :)

If I knew you, I'd hug you! Really. I have now played for more than an hour without a single crash, while before I was getting them every few minutes. Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Options
    UtopicoUtopico Posts: 19 Member
    I have this problem too 3 days ago, but the weird thing is that i have Sims 4 since the first day and played without problems until now... I tried everything, with no solution... So frustrating...
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2014
    [quote="Utopico;12723604"]I have this problem too 3 days ago, but the weird thing is that i have Sims 4 since the first day and played without problems until now... I tried everything, with no solution... So frustrating...[/quote]

This seems to be a common refrain: people were going along with no problems until recently and then its crash city.

Possible conclusions:

1. There is something wrong with long-term saves.

2. An update messed things up.

3. Accumulation of CC over time is causing the crashes.

4. The cache is bloating over time and causing crashes.
  • Options
    starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    An addendum to my excited post above - I'm still crashing, but the crashes happen after at least an hour of real-time play. I can handle that (for now), especially since I've gotten into the habit of using Save As (constantly).
  • Options
    An addendum to my excited post above - I'm still crashing, but the crashes happen after at least an hour of real-time play. I can handle that (for now), especially since I've gotten into the habit of using Save As (constantly).

Does turning your graphics down make a difference? You could be straining a graphics card or could have a piece of hardware starting to die on you and working as if you had less powerful hardware.