Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Random crash to desktop, possible cause and possible solution

Comments

• Options
    DavidMCSessyDavidMCSessy Posts: 1,148 Member
    When I try to save, is crashes and says "The Sims 4 has stopped working." It's really annoying!
    5k381e.png

My TumblrMy Twitter
  • Options
    XennationXennation Posts: 113 Member
    DO any of your have Razer Synapse, or Logitech gaming software (for gaming peripheral configuration)?
    If I was helpful, or if you enjoyed my post always give a good rep or nice "Like / Thanks" by clicking below my post.
  • Options
    starrling33starrling33 Posts: 87 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Does turning your graphics down make a difference? You could be straining a graphics card or could have a piece of hardware starting to die on you and working as if you had less powerful hardware.

Default was set at Medium but I'll try Medium Low and see if that helps. I'll let you know. Thank you!

> @Xennation said:
    > DO any of your have Razer Synapse, or Logitech gaming software (for gaming peripheral configuration)?

I do not. :)
  • Options
    Do you have any softwares that product an overlay in the game such as teamspeak, mumble, or an fps counter / fraps?
    If I was helpful, or if you enjoyed my post always give a good rep or nice "Like / Thanks" by clicking below my post.
  • Options
    The_WildmugatoThe_Wildmugato Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm going to try this. I was having the same problem. So.. we shall see.
  • Options
    > @Xennation said:
    > Do you have any softwares that product an overlay in the game such as teamspeak, mumble, or an fps counter / fraps?

No, I don't.

> @luthienrising said:
    > starrling33 wrote: »
    >
    > An addendum to my excited post above - I'm still crashing, but the crashes happen after at least an hour of real-time play. I can handle that (for now), especially since I've gotten into the habit of using Save As (constantly).
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Does turning your graphics down make a difference? You could be straining a graphics card or could have a piece of hardware starting to die on you and working as if you had less powerful hardware.

Luthienrising - I took graphics down to Medium Low and it works. Of course, the graphics are crap, now, but at least the crashing has stopped. My hubby says it's time for a new setup for me (although, I'm above the minimum requirements now - I think he's just tired of hearing me complain LOL).
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Luthienrising - I took graphics down to Medium Low and it works. Of course, the graphics are crap, now, but at least the crashing has stopped. My hubby says it's time for a new setup for me (although, I'm above the minimum requirements now - I think he's just tired of hearing me complain LOL).

Go for the new setup. :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    > @Xennation said:<br />
    > Do you have any softwares that product an overlay in the game such as teamspeak, mumble, or an fps counter / fraps?<br />
    <br />
    No, I don't.<br />
    <br />
    > @luthienrising said:<br />
    > starrling33 wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > An addendum to my excited post above - I'm still crashing, but the crashes happen after at least an hour of real-time play. I can handle that (for now), especially since I've gotten into the habit of using Save As (constantly).<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Does turning your graphics down make a difference? You could be straining a graphics card or could have a piece of hardware starting to die on you and working as if you had less powerful hardware.<br />
    <br />
    <br />

Are either one of you capable of building our rebuilding your own machine? If so it might not be time to completely get a new because you might be able to just throw a decent graphics card into the system...

Could you kindly post your system specs (not DxDiag)?
  • Options
    > @Xennation said:
    > starrling33 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Are either one of you capable of building our rebuilding your own machine? If so it might not be time to completely get a new because you might be able to just throw a decent graphics card into the system...
    >
    > Could you kindly post your system specs (not DxDiag)?

My husband built this one I'm using (I'm incapable - he's the tech whiz in the family lol) and says we're at the max "slots" now (whatever that means...I get the idea, though). So, it might be time for a new machine, but harvesting some of the parts from this one, too. :) As for system specs....not sure how to go about doing that if it isn't DxDiag and he's at work. Sorry.
  • Options
    DuncanDisorderlyDuncanDisorderly Posts: 119 Member
    edited September 2014
    First of all, I want to thank the OP. Secondly, I tried it about 3 hours ago and so far it's been working. I had been crashing every 20-30 minutes earlier today, in both live and build mode. So, it appears to solve the problem.

That said, I would imagine you may need to delete them again after a period since the problem may resurface. I guess time will tell.

UPDATE: It's been a couple of hours since I first posted and my game is still going strong. In fact, I've purposely hammered the game to see how it copes. This has been the longest continuous play without crashing since purchasing this grossly overpriced game.
    Post edited by DuncanDisorderly on
    Garga blarg blarg!
  • Options
    konajavakonajava Posts: 47 Member
    @so_money: you may be right, my game was going along pretty good up until the last few days. I thought maybe it was because my sim died & then was resurrected. Since that time sims have been stuck @ work, I've experienced crashes, my household receives an obscene amount of royalties (the resurrected sim is getting nearly a dozen royalties for one song!) and now the resurrected sim can't interact with anything. I've tried resetting the sim but that's when the game crashes. I've tried moving w/o positive results. I'll have to try this solution & see if it helps.

Side note: I see some of you mentioning you've played ___ # of sim days. How do you track that?
  • Options
    konajava wrote: »
    @so_money: you may be right, my game was going along pretty good up until the last few days. I thought maybe it was because my sim died & then was resurrected. Since that time sims have been stuck @ work, I've experienced crashes, my household receives an obscene amount of royalties (the resurrected sim is getting nearly a dozen royalties for one song!) and now the resurrected sim can't interact with anything. I've tried resetting the sim but that's when the game crashes. I've tried moving w/o positive results. I'll have to try this solution & see if it helps.<br />
    <br />
    Side note: I see some of you mentioning you've played ___ # of sim days. How do you track that?

You might consider trying a game file repair - doing it this way preserves your saves: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/resetting-the-game-to-factory-settings-without-reinstalling/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    laursey23laursey23 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm at my wits end. My game constantly crashes sometimes after less than 5 minutes of play. I deleted all the families not in the world and I have no custom content in the game. I get the following error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: TS4.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.677.20
    Application Timestamp: 540a88b9
    Fault Module Name: TS4.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.677.20
    Fault Module Timestamp: 540a88b9
    Exception Code: 80000003
    Exception Offset: 00cb0451
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: bf2a
    Additional Information 2: bf2a1cacdf15ce090003079b44f6786f
    Additional Information 3: 07bd
    Additional Information 4: 07bd63d4c3bbc1e326a2818145a3730b
  • Options
    laursey23laursey23 Posts: 7 New Member
    Update: Started totally new game with new neighborhood and no crashing. Could it be the cache files?
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    laursey23 wrote: »
    Could it be the cache files?

I have long suspected it could be.
  • Options
    konajavakonajava Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks @luthienrising, I'll give that a try
  • Options
    SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    edited September 2014
    laursey23 wrote: »
    Update: Started totally new game with new neighborhood and no crashing. Could it be the cache files?

I delete my cache files daily and don't experience many crashes, unless it's caused by CC.

• Options
    SimricSimric Posts: 1 New Member
    I had this crashing issue and found the culprit. Maybe this helps someone.

Here's the story: I created one sim, moved her into a lot and evicted her immediately, so she is added to the list of households not in the world. One of my sims met her, and a couple of days later she moved into his household. But somehow she was not taken from the list of households not in the world. As a consequence she existed twice. As soon as her second self entered the world, the game crashed.

I deleted her from the list of households not in the world and the issue was solved. No more crashes.

I did not check if randomly created sims can behave the same way if you have them move into played households. But it might be worth checking if you guys also have any dublicated sims running around.
  • Options
    SebastianyzlSebastianyzl Posts: 8 New Member
    Has anyone experience crash while saving game? The message said "The Sims 4 had stopped working". Seriously EA have you ever make a game that is actually playable? My Sims 3 is now extremely laggy (especially after Seasons and University), crash most of the time till I gave up playing it.
  • Options
    uhriahxuhriahx Posts: 5 New Member
    Anyone remember the good old days like The Sims 2 when you could play the game and update and patch whenever you wanted? Remember when you could play for hours and hours and hours without Origin or any other third party client to ruin the gaming experience! All of these issues are going to work wonders for EA/Maxis and Origin's stock prices.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    uhriahx - Yes I remember the good old days before drm (rootkits, SecuROM, SafeDisc, and other anti pirating methods). Microsoft and Sony are now requiring you to register your game console and pay for premium services. I need to have a XBOX 360 gold to stream Netflix. There are many users using Steam (an account based drm). Computer game production has become a major endeavor today and creators need to profit to continue making new games. While it may still be possible to create a computer company in a garage today I feel your going to need more then an idea (and a lot of luck). It's interesting that EA choose to bring back the Maxis name. The major problem is I feel Will Wright needs to return much like Steve Jobs did to bring Apple back. Will Wright has the insight of makes The Sims work. A change in leadership often does not always guarantee for success. For the Sims franchise to continue it needs to evolve and this means change.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    TheOnlyAuntieMameTheOnlyAuntieMame Posts: 7 New Member
    So I've tried deleting all of the households not currently in the world (which, for me, do not regenerate). I have tried playing in offline mode. I have tried deleting cache files. I have tried praying. I have tried cursing. I have tried putting faith into EA's ability to fix any 🐸🐸🐸🐸 issue that might pop up.

My game crashes after less than 2 minutes of play every single time. It doesn't matter if it's a one sim household, or five. It doesn't matter if any CC is in use or not. My computer's specs far exceed the recommended specs. This game was released before it was functional (no surprise there, EA). I want a refund because this is completely unplayable. That's $60 down the drain. If it crashed every 30 minutes, whatever, but EVERY 2 MINUTES?!?!? 🐸🐸🐸🐸?! There is NO open world, NO story progression... what in the hell is making this crash? AHHHHHH!!!!

What's worse is this thread has been open for nearly two months and the issue STILL persists. I could scream.
  • Options
    UPDATE: After reading a link that I am apparently unable to post...

Here's what it said to do:
    "Resetting the game to factory settings without re-installing."
    1. Make a backup of The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to an external or flash drive.
    2. Rename the The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to The Sims 4_Backup
    3. Start the game (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your CC will be gone. Not to worry, it's all still there in that backup folder).
    4. A new The Sims 4 folder will have been recreated in the Documents\Electronic Arts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.
    5. You will need to start a new game for testing.

See if the error is gone. If so, you can put the starting folders back. The following folder contains files you might need. Test after every folder and put them back in the following order:

1. Options(.ini): Your graphic/sounds/gameplay option. You can also simply reset them.
    2. Saves: Your save games. If the game starts to act up again after this, put each save game back separately, testing afterwards to see what can be saved.
    3. Screenshots: The screenshots you have taken in game.
    4. Custom Music: If you have any.
    5. Tray: All your houses, Sims and rooms. If the game starts to act up again, put each file group back separately, testing afterwards to see what can be saved.
    6. Mods: Your CC. If the game starts to act up, put each file group back separately, testing afterwards to see what could cause the issue.

The game recreates the rest of the files (BUT DON'T DELETE YOUR BACKUP, just in case).

I did the first part to basically "reset" my game. Created a new household to play, and have played without any crashes for about 15 minutes. I'm going to start adding folders back in one at a time, as suggested above. I'll update here as I know more.
  • Options
    UPDATE: After each step, and testing the game for 20 minutes each time, it seemed to be working great. I figured that maybe the problem existed elsewhere. After running the game for around 40 minutes after all had been added back in, however, the game crashed. While this is more tolerable than the previous 2 minutes I WAS getting, it's still unacceptable. I won't be playing this game until it has been patched. Hopefully the rest of you have more luck.
  • Options
    UPDATE: After each step, and testing the game for 20 minutes each time, it seemed to be working great. I figured that maybe the problem existed elsewhere. After running the game for around 40 minutes after all had been added back in, however, the game crashed. While this is more tolerable than the previous 2 minutes I WAS getting, it's still unacceptable. I won't be playing this game until it has been patched. Hopefully the rest of you have more luck.

There's a lot in that "put back in" list that you don't always need to have in game.
    - Saves: If you have old saves you don't think you're going to go back to, keep them in a separate folder. You'll still have them for later if you end up wanting them
    - Screenshots: If you have some you aren't using as memories, there's no advantage to having them in your Screenshots folder. You can keep them elsewhere. I did see a case of someone who's game was crashing with lots of screenshots.
    - Tray: You need this only when you're using My Library. The rest of the time, you can keep it elsewhere, in a separate folder. Also, consider playing with Origin offline except when you need to access the Community Gallery.
    - Mods and CC: Always a good idea to move these back in bit by bit, starting with the ones you care most about. Anything in there could be crashing a game.