Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Mega Thread

Comments

• Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited September 2014
    First: I would like to thank Pinstar for this Challenge. It is so awesome and I am excited to try it. I played it in Sims 3 but could only make it 6 generations before my game would start to mess up so here is hoping I can make it this time.

Okay, I plan to go with Last Born, Equality, Strict Traditional. I think I am going to roll for kids each generation as well with some good old fashioned dice LOL. So, how many children I have will depend on my roll. I hope this is allowed. I will not be scoring points as I love this challenge just for my own enjoyment and scoring is just not for me but I do appreciate the ablity to do so.

You guys are all very brave. I haven't even gotten the controls down yet and haven't even looked at build mode yet so not sure I am ready to start this but I am so excited about it, I might just have to dig in. Kind of wish I had the Prima guide but oh well I guess.

I was also wondering if anyone has tried the money cheat I found. I will try it on a sample Sim and let you all know if it works. You should be able to type in Testingcheats true, then money 1800 so then we wouldn't have to buy the suit of arms to reduce our money. Just a thought. Someone said they verified it works but I will try it and report back.

I have a question and I posted it on Pinstar's legacy challenge site in case it gets lost in this thread. The trait generator will generate a gender. While that is fine, I can't pick whether I will have a boy or girl so when selecting traits for my child, do I just pick the first ones I generate or do I pick the first gender appropriate ones that pop up?

Edit: Good luck Rainbow...and @duckofdoom2002: I do think you get to keep the money a spouse brings in if I remember right. Go back and read the rules but I am pretty sure you can.

Edit: Yes the cheat does work. You type in Testingcheats True, then money 1800. I am not sure this is allowed but it gives you the correct amount of money without anything in your inventory. I will defer this to Pinstar and let him decide if this will be allowed of course. Just a suggestion.
    Post edited by Glimmer50 on
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Rawla wrote: »
    Okay, so this is my first try at doing a legacy by the rules. Are we not allowed to switch households? I'm asking because I don't want my spares to live lonely childless lives. I'm totally missing twallan right now.

The rules state that you must not change your active household throughout the legacy challenge. If you wanted to play one of the spares, perhaps you could save them to your library and set them in a new save.

You guys can totally call me a cheater, but I have always ignored that rule because there are times when I want to play other families and take a break from my almost always really really full legacy house. But then again, I don't score my legacy either.
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    Well I think I choose what I call easiest way. Equality, Living Will, Traditional. I just started my legacy yesterday. after seeing more posted on the information for one. He met a Caliente sister and married her, and has had their 1st child. But the gal is already an adult. So her birthing years are short. lol, live and learn.
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    I have a question about spouses. The rule states "This Sim may not be from a family who lives in a house on the world map, nor may they be a hand-picked Sim from the gallery." Is this for all 10 Sims that will become spouses, or is this talking about the 10th 'extra' sim? If it refers to all spouses - then where are they to come from??

Also when do you start playing the next generation? Is it when they reach YA?

Referring to all spouses.

The game generates random "townie" sims with completely random clothing, aspirations and traits. These sims show up on community lots but have no physical presence in the game. It is from among these townies that you must draw your spouses. As townies grow old and die, the game automatically generates new ones, so your marriage pool will always be populated.

I found a spouse who fits what you describe but he added $20000 simoleans to my founder when he moved in. Does this break the rules to the challenge? If so do I lose points or did I completely fail and should start over?
    tumblr_nbepemvgZ31tlo8tlo2_1280.png

This seems to be the case for all of the townie sims that are listed without a residence in the manage screen when you start the game. I wonder if the newly generated ones will be the same way? Seems a tad unbalancing to be getting 20K every time we marry a townie! D:

My sim is currently wooing the mailman - I'll report back if he's the same way. After struggling so hard to get a few walls built around my furniture pile I'm going to feel a bit robbed if we're suddenly wealthy! lol
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    zombiesquirezombiesquire Posts: 32 Member
    So far I haven't seen any townies that are not in the "Currently Not In World" households (when you go to the manage households menu). Aren't these the "randomly generated" sims? They all have 20k in the menu. For instance, I don't see Rouya in my household list.
    The Dupont Legacy - http://sims4living.tumblr.com

ORIGIN ID - zombiesquire
  • Options
    LynnwoodLynnwood Posts: 2,980 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have begun my own challenge! Starring the adorkable Chester Gieke from Sims 2. If you're interested, please check it out! (You'll have to C&P the link or search on the forums, because for some reason it won't hyperlink correctly / forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/779373/the-gieke-legacy-a-sims-4-legacy-challenge-posted-9-5 ) And thank you a billion times over to Pinstar for coming up with this challenge, it's provided endless hours of entertainment and I'm sure it will continue to do so. :D
  • Options
    LynnwoodLynnwood Posts: 2,980 Member
    And to answer FloorRaisen, no. All young adult sims automatically bring in 20k, that's the starting amount. There's no way around it and it's not cheating (to my knowledge). Pinstar's wife ImaginingMystic had the same thing happen on her Let's Play.
  • Options
    lightnatlightnat Posts: 10 New Member
    Hey!! So I made a thread for all important updates/notes for my legacy (which I have yet to start). I'm trying to choose a founder.
    Right now, it's called Legacy-To-Be: Choose my Founder...because that's what I need to do. Here's the link:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/779061/legacy-to-be-choose-my-founder
    I also set up a blog for this legacy-you can check it out here:
    alightlegacy.wordpress.com

It would really mean a lot if you could go to one or the other (or both) and place your votes
  • Options
    AyerimRPDAyerimRPD Posts: 54 Member
    Yay so happy the new rules have been posted, thanks again Pinstar! I think I'm going with Strict Equality, Strict Traditional and first born. I'm really excited :D
    tumblr_n1x8qqOPAa1r2y7r9o4_500.gif
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    whats equality traditional ? i read the rules i'm not sure what that means
  • Options
    AyerimRPDAyerimRPD Posts: 54 Member
  • Options
    started a traditional legacy,not sure how its going to work out colin forbes thats my founder met 2 women already but i'm not sure if he will marry either of them because when they left the option to take angry poop poped up first time i ever saw it . not sure why he got angry he had 2 women paying attention to him.
  • Options
    GigidawnGigidawn Posts: 898 Member
    edited September 2014
    My founder married a townie who was actually roomies with a group of 4 sims not currently in world. When founder married him and moved him in, he didnt bring any funds with him. This has been very challenging! My sims couldnt afford a double bed and had to take turns sleeping on the twin bed. when one was using the bed, I would send one over to the park bench near the fishing spot to nap. It was a full 4 sims days before I could afford a full bed so they could wooohoo at the same time. (EDIT! I meant woohoo for the first time, not at the same time... lol!!! ) :o

I should have picked a townie that had no roomies to bring in some cash! I guess my sim married for love instead of money. <3
  • Options
    Does anyone have the issue of your spouse not taking your founders last name? My founder is female and she just got married and their last names are different. Anyone know a fix for this?
  • Options
    colin died in a fire. he never even got build a house or find a wife.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @friendsfan -- oh, I'm so sorry. Better luck on your next attempt!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    i don't know what the rules are in this situation can i start from the save or do i need to start over
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the issue of your spouse not taking your founders last name? My founder is female and she just got married and their last names are different. Anyone know a fix for this?

I know of a fix but it messed up my relationships and I decided to leave the names as-is because a mother and daughters became sisters as well as daughters and their aunt.

testingcheats true
    cas.fulleditmode

Then shift-click and select modify in CAS (I think it is) and then you can change it.
    BUT BUT BUT
    the relationships are messed up if you've got others there besides a spouse. Save before you try it so you can back it up. Don't shoot the messenger if your relationships screw up. :wink:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Gigidawn wrote: »
    My founder married a townie who was actually roomies with a group of 4 sims not currently in world. When founder married him and moved him in, he didnt bring any funds with him. This has been very challenging! My sims couldnt afford a double bed and had to take turns sleeping on the twin bed. when one was using the bed, I would send one over to the park bench near the fishing spot to nap. It was a full 4 sims days before I could afford a full bed so they could wooohoo at the same time. (EDIT! I meant woohoo for the first time, not at the same time... lol!!! ) :o

I should have picked a townie that had no roomies to bring in some cash! I guess my sim married for love instead of money. <3

Ooh, this gives me hope for the future - I'll look for those unhoused roomie situations next generation. I'm kind of bummed that my mailman came with $19,980! Part of the fun for me with past legacy challenges is being broke as heck, I always get bored when the household becomes wealthy.

On a positive note, with those premade rooms it's real easy to blow 20 grand. Mayhaps I'll have a personal mini-rule that I must purchase a premade room each time we get a new spouse windfall to eat some of it up.

The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    Megg87 wrote: »

I know of a fix but it messed up my relationships and I decided to leave the names as-is because a mother and daughters became sisters as well as daughters and their aunt.

testingcheats true
    cas.fulleditmode

Then shift-click and select modify in CAS (I think it is) and then you can change it.
    BUT BUT BUT
    the relationships are messed up if you've got others there besides a spouse. Save before you try it so you can back it up. Don't shoot the messenger if your relationships screw up. :wink:

I used the fix to correct the problem but I don't know what will happen in future generations. It did not mess up their relationship at all but they are the only people in the house. I didn't even save it after I did it ..like a back up..DOH. I should have but anyway it worked so no harm this time. Thanks for the warning though. I guess we should report this in a bug thread.

I guess for the next generation I will try it anyway or maybe by then they will have a fix.
  • Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    edited September 2014
    @FloorRaisin I tend to just move my kids someplace nice. Since having you much money is boring and sacrificing for one's kids is always heart warming.

Oh and the donations via computer!
  • Options
    duckofdoom2002duckofdoom2002 Posts: 89 Member

I have the same issue I even threw a wedding event for my Founding sim and her husband but no luck. Apparently we can change our child's last name when they are born so I suppose that would fix the issue if your founder was male and you had married a woman with a different last name. Still would be nice to have the option to take the last name of another sim when you get married. Maybe it's a bug?
    tumblr_n5qff3lygs1rm3gh5o1_500_by_sapphireluna-d7qhib6.png
  • Options
    felenachick25felenachick25 Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm starting today :D I am going to be Strict Matriarchy, Strict Traditional, First Born. Hopefully I can do it :). Wish me luck
  • Options
    Rrriot_KittyRrriot_Kitty Posts: 167 Member

I've seen a lot of posts about this issue, it seems to be the status quo? I haven't married yet, but I'm a tad worried about it, for future legacies, obviously.
  • Options
    Rrriot_KittyRrriot_Kitty Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2014
    Do we have a chart/list of available or eligible NPC's yet? I only ask, as it seems quite a few are no longer in Sims 4, and other versions of legacy challenges had extra points earned for marrying one of each type of NPC, or getting hidden traits into your family tree,(I have no idea if hidden traits are in 4, I haven't heard of any yet) I know we're at a very early stage, but this would be an added element of challenge I'd be interested in adding for my challenge...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top