Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the Point of Buying This Game? What's the Hook?

Comments

• Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited July 2014
    I want to make my supermodel sims , have them have a huge , nice house with a rose garden and balconies , make them use voodoo dolls on each other, have a huge joint wedding , garden , get eaten by the Cowplant!
    You can do all of that in TS3.

Not if the game crashes before I even get to CAS. Did you not read the rest of my post?

Ignore him. He seems to be in wind-up-mode tonight and he's already caused one simmer to go nuclear. The best thing to do is not take the bait.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I want to make my supermodel sims , have them have a huge , nice house with a rose garden and balconies , make them use voodoo dolls on each other, have a huge joint wedding , garden , get eaten by the Cowplant!

Not if the game crashes before I even get to CAS. Did you not read the rest of my post?

Ignore him. He seems to be in wind-up-mode tonight and he's already caused one simmer to go nuclear. The best thing to do is not take the bait.

oh lordy. Does this mean that he's going to spam the forum with obscenities again in a day or two like he did with his last few screen names?

Edit: Simmers, hide your children! And your wives and your husbands too! He'll be spamming everyone out there! :D
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    Darkslayer was that necessary? I didn't read the post properly and thought they were just saying those aren't possible in TS3 at all.

Is it my fault that he behaved the way he did? No. Did I enjoy watching it? Yes. He started it himself in this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/760202.page
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014

*Whispers* It's a troll. Don't feed it.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    GumPlyr123GumPlyr123 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2014
    Manuel0498 wrote:
    GumPlyr123 wrote:
    In the sims 4 its all about emotions. Yeah we have always had them but they didn't really affect our sims that much. In the sims 4 it's more real and these emotions can last for days. For example you know that guy who fought with that old lady and got really mad? That didn't last for a few seconds like past sim games, but until he got cheered up. How come you guys not notice this and only say "we have always had them :roll: "

I don't think these emotions last for days. In the demo the bald sim was mad and became happy in like a minute after working out.

(off topic) I didn't like how the demo ended with the two sims dieing of laughter. I thought it was suppose to take effort to die of laughter but I guess a simple pee puddle will kill any sim. :? :?
    Well a lot of people like to use all that anger and energy on working out. I wouldn't say I would be happy afterwards, but I would feel a lot better.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    Edit: Simmers, hide your children! And your wives and your husbands too! He'll be spamming everyone out there! :D
    I've never spammed anyone. Get your facts straight (no pun intended).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    Don't feed it.
    Take that advice yourself.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have the feeling it's about to get ugly in here. :!:
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Manuel0498Manuel0498 Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2014
    GumPlyr123 wrote:
    Manuel0498 wrote:
    GumPlyr123 wrote:
    In the sims 4 its all about emotions. Yeah we have always had them but they didn't really affect our sims that much. In the sims 4 it's more real and these emotions can last for days. For example you know that guy who fought with that old lady and got really mad? That didn't last for a few seconds like past sim games, but until he got cheered up. How come you guys not notice this and only say "we have always had them :roll: "

I don't think these emotions last for days. In the demo the bald sim was mad and became happy in like a minute after working out.

(off topic) I didn't like how the demo ended with the two sims dieing of laughter. I thought it was suppose to take effort to die of laughter but I guess a simple pee puddle will kill any sim. :? :?
    Well a lot of people like to use all that anger and energy on working out. I wouldn't say I would be happy afterwards, but I would feel a lot better.

What you said makes sense but I still don't see how these emotions will impact overall gameplay, still having an open mind :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:
    It already did when you posted.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:

oh no. Not ANOTHER troll!

I knew the relative peace couldn't last. :? :? :? :?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:

True. My remark was a bit incendiary. But you know, time will tell. If I'm proven wrong I'll offer up a public apology. Hopefully I will be. I'd like for us all to play nice every once in a while.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:

oh no. Not ANOTHER troll!

I knew the relative peace couldn't last. :? :? :? :?

Expect an influx of trolls over the next 6 weeks. The schools here in the UK are finished for summer. Personally I think the internet should come with a health warning whenever school has let out for the holidays.

(Not that I'm opposed to having school-age posters here, it's just whenever the schools finish the internet in general seems to always gain a high influx of trolls).
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have been a staple on these forums for about 4 years. I don't only come on in the summer. You should know that.
  • Options
    PirateJandcatsPirateJandcats Posts: 635 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm with you guys. The death by hysterics makes me wince every time I see it in a new video. I remember being ecstatic when I learnt that Sims 2 have life stages, and excited by open world in Sims 3 since I never could be bothered with loading screens in sims 2.
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:

Can we please not? Honestly, StoreAccount, your posts have seemed relatively harmless to me. I don't know what you've done in the past to annoy everyone else and I don't really care. But I just saw you dominate a previous thread with some petulant little fight with another Simmer. Can we just stay on topic, please?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have been a staple on these forums for about 4 years. I don't only come on in the summer. You should know that.

Oh believe me, don't I know it ;)

I was just speaking in general - things get messier here when the kids are off school as I'm sure is the case for a lot of forums and online discussion places in general.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:

Can we please not? Honestly, StoreAccount, your posts have seemed relatively harmless to me. I don't know what you've done in the past to annoy everyone else and I don't really care. But I just saw you dominate a previous thread with some petulant little fight with another Simmer. Can we just stay on topic, please?
    I won't cause a fight but why do I always get a thousand negative responses whenever I post? It really gets to me.

And I didn't cause that argument, I only fuelled it. My responses were nothing compared to that other guys.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:

Oh believe me, don't I know it ;)

I was just speaking in general - things get messier here when the kids are off school as I'm sure is the case for a lot of forums and online discussion places in general.
    You didn't reply to my other post? :(
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote:

If it helps I'm pretty sure they're Innuendo. I'm not up on his entire posting history myself but from what I've seen on a good day he's generally an amicable kind of person who you can have a laugh with, but he also has an unpleasant side. He'll intentionally wind up other people so they'll say something that can get them banned and then other times he'll just have a complete meltdown and wreck the forums with spam.

He's right though. He is kind of a staple here at this point - he's like cockroach; you can try all you like but you just can't get rid of him ;)

I actually quite like him when he's being nice and amicable. But I despise him when I see behaviour from him like I have tonight - his actions have probably caused another simmer to get banned. It's difficult. I've seen him be a good person and I've genuinely had some good (if usually off-topic) conversations with him. I just wish he'd stay like that more often.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I actually quite like him when he's being nice and amicable. But I despise him when I see behaviour from him like I have tonight - his actions have probably caused another simmer to get banned. It's difficult. I've seen him be a good person and I wish he'd stay like that more often.
    Excuse me darkslayer but do you know what Simmerfreak called me? Did you even look in that thread I linked to? He has been horrible to me for months.

And I like you too.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    1 Emotions. No other Sims in other iterations never had them. If you think that you're quite obviously blind. Maybe you like playing with stale robotic barbie dolls. I'm frankly tired of doing so.

2 More interactions and things to do than any base game so far. If all the ways and interactions provided in that teenie tiny sample in the demo video is any indicator of just how many new interactions and details within interactions can go per object and Sim, you can bet this is the fullest//most alive base game we've ever gotten.

3 The graphics have a major improvement. As does routing. So many little things have been fixed and improved upon so that the game feels tons more cohesive and fun without the aggravation of a cold, dead empty world and glitchified game play in every corner.

4 Genetics. No TS3 did not have it. You either got carbon copies of the parents or something so alien you wonder how it even happened. The genetics are more true in TS4 and that's very obvious to anybody with eyes.

But none these are new.

Emotions have been in the game since TS2. All the sims I have made always had character and emotion, and it was very clear what they were thinking. I don't know what game you were playing, but my game was very full of life.

What new interactions? I've seen nothing new about this game. It's all recycled, polished up things from previous games, and stamping "new & improved" on it, when it isn't.

The graphics are an improvement? That lego hair is an improvement? The painted on eyelashes, are an improvement? The world looks too utopian, and too perfect; just like a cartoon. It looked like Barbie's Dreamhouse. The brightness is nauseating, and the terrain is fuzzy/blurry.

Glithces/bugs is something you can never escape. This game will have bugs/glitches. EVERY GAME DOES! What make you think that this game will be any different? TS3 took 5 years to make, and there are bugs. This game took, excluding Olympus, two years to make. Two years is not enough time for a fully fleshed out game. The game comes out in a month, and they still haven't finished bug testing. That's an issue. :?

Genetics ARE NOT NEW! This is not a new feature! They were new when TS2 came out! Anyone who played TS2 can tell you. TS2 genetics were much better than TS3, and the kids actually looked perfectly meshed. Genetics are not new.

What is new? I have never heard anyone say what is actually, genuinely, new. What is something we have never seen, in all previous games? And graphics don't count. I'll be waiting for someone to tell me what is brand new. Waiting... :?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Maybe someone should define "hook." To me, that sounds like fishing and what kind of bait you use. If you bait the hook with open world and CASt, you get one kind of fish. If you bait the hook with emotions, rotational gameplay, and genetics, you get another kind of fish. Some fish like both kinds of bait. Maybe some like one better than the other but will take both.

So tell me, when you say "hook," what do you mean if not that?
    I concluded it's what OP meant because of:
    I There's no big STEP FORWARD in the Sims 4.

If you point out there must be something shiny about a game I perfectly understand you, but it's not a step forward, objectively.
    Because to me Sims 3 shines brighter than Sims 4 does so far. So this is personal ;-)
    OP also points out the hooks of the prequels and they are objective features, not preferences.
    UtaDagda wrote:
    4 Genetics. No TS3 did not have it. You either got carbon copies of the parents or something so alien you wonder how it even happened. The genetics are more true in TS4 and that's very obvious to anybody with eyes.
    It is? I haven't seen examples of that yet, have you?
    It is true however in Sims 3 females can make hideous males and vice versa (which explains the aliens you mention). This is handled much much much better in S4 (and I can't tell you how happy I am about that). It means no more monsters will be born.
    That however has nothing to do with genetics. I'll skip the carbon copies because you're completely right there and it's very irritating.
    But in my game children are born with hair- and eye colours I introduced several generations ago (from (grant)parent to (grant)child) and if you create your sims carefully - which means always check what your sim will look like in the opposite gender - you can achieve very satisfying mixes of both parents.

Main point: genetics work fine. Children always inherit the features of their parents.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    Waiting... :?
    I remember when you used to troll as BasedGoodness. :lol:
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited July 2014
    tumblr_n1oyw1lvck1tprzs0o1_250.gif