Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the Point of Buying This Game? What's the Hook?

Comments

• Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yes, Sims 3 brought an open world, but it felt like an empty shell of a world compared to how much the sims themselves seemed to lose in personality(ironic as personality was one of the new billed features for TS3)and feeling. In TS2 Sims reacted to other sims around them, that unwashed sim that just went by got audible "yucks" and were wafted away from the offended sim, sims would give dreamy looks and sighs at other sims they found attractive even if they had never met them, a messy sim would throw their hands up and then begrudgingly slump their shoulders when they were made to clean up messes. The Sims 3 could be compared to a giant sized, but unseasoned taco: sure, it might fill you up, but if it didn't taste good are you really satisfied after eating it?

The draw of what is being advertised in the Sims 4 is bringing more flavor to enrich the day to day simming experience. If all they manage to do is make a game that captures little more than the emotional flavor of TS2 without improving on it and its gameplay, then TS4 will be a pretty poor addition to the series. But the only way to really feel how much in depth flavor and feeling is in TS4 is with a significant play test, not 20 mins, not an hour, but a truly dedicated, day-long (or longer), hands-on experience with the game. No amount of advertising, build up, or let down is going to really capture what the new game has in store.
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited July 2014
    I am keeping my eye on this thread. I was thinking of posting this question as well.

I like CAS, building options and how the sims are more expressive. I like how the lights shut off if you don't pay your bills.

But it seems so, so boring and empty compared to other base games. I question the people who are amped for this game. I don't see it at all. It's not even a matter of "this is change and I don't like it" it's literally that I don't see what is worth the excitement other than "it is not Sims 1, 2 or 3"

I feel like this game will get boring quickly after any new element is discovered. I also think the community as a whole lowered its overall standards at some point.
  • Options
    MissHoney118MissHoney118 Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2014
    2075f0m.gif
    23u1xdu.gif
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Aoralys wrote:
    Yes, Sims 3 brought an open world, but it felt like an empty shell of a world compared to how much the sims themselves seemed to lose in personality(ironic as personality was one of the new billed features for TS3)and feeling. In TS2 Sims reacted to other sims around them, that unwashed sim that just went by got audible "yucks" and were wafted away from the offended sim, sims would give dreamy looks and sighs at other sims they found attractive even if they had never met them, a messy sim would throw their hands up and then begrudgingly slump their shoulders when they were made to clean up messes. The Sims 3 could be compared to a giant sized, but unseasoned taco: sure, it might fill you up, but if it didn't taste good are you really satisfied after eating it?

The draw of what is being advertised in the Sims 4 is bringing more flavor to enrich the day to day simming experience. If all they manage to do is make a game that captures little more than the emotional flavor of TS2 without improving on it and its gameplay, then TS4 will be a pretty poor addition to the series. But the only way to really feel how much in depth flavor and feeling is in TS4 is with a significant play test, not 20 mins, not an hour, but a truly dedicated, day-long (or longer), hands-on experience with the game. No amount of advertising, build up, or let down is going to really capture what the new game has in store.

Well said.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    Aoralys wrote:

Again, you confuse 'hook' with personal preferences. Sims 3 had open world and CASt, period.
    You don't like it, I do, but the fact remains: Sims 3 has open world and CASt and Sims 1 and 2 didn't.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Aoralys wrote:

Again, you confuse 'hook' with personal preferences. Sims 3 had open world and CASt, period.
    You don't like it, I do, but the fact remains: Sims 3 has open world and CASt and Sims 1 and 2 didn't.

Maybe someone should define "hook." To me, that sounds like fishing and what kind of bait you use. If you bait the hook with open world and CASt, you get one kind of fish. If you bait the hook with emotions, rotational gameplay, and genetics, you get another kind of fish. Some fish like both kinds of bait. Maybe some like one better than the other but will take both.

So tell me, when you say "hook," what do you mean if not that?
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    1 Emotions. No other Sims in other iterations never had them. If you think that you're quite obviously blind. Maybe you like playing with stale robotic barbie dolls. I'm frankly tired of doing so.

2 More interactions and things to do than any base game so far. If all the ways and interactions provided in that teenie tiny sample in the demo video is any indicator of just how many new interactions and details within interactions can go per object and Sim, you can bet this is the fullest//most alive base game we've ever gotten.

3 The graphics have a major improvement. As does routing. So many little things have been fixed and improved upon so that the game feels tons more cohesive and fun without the aggravation of a cold, dead empty world and glitchified game play in every corner.

4 Genetics. No TS3 did not have it. You either got carbon copies of the parents or something so alien you wonder how it even happened. The genetics are more true in TS4 and that's very obvious to anybody with eyes.

5 I love that Luchadore male Sim they advertise. <3 As well as his masked family~

Just a few reasons and things that hook me and bait me and there's novels of it but I'm too lazy to type out everything. This game is a major improvement over TS3.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:
    Why would anyone give a serious response to this thread?
    It was a completely legit question. If you care to share, what's your response?

Not really legit at all.

Quote from the OP:
    you who squeal with delight at each new trinket of information that is released

-Sims 4:...prettier Sims?

So, to all you hopeless fan girls and boys, I ask you this: why in 7 h***s are you bothering to buy this shameless cash-grab of a game?

A legit question is the one in the other thread that simply asked why people are purchasing, what makes it appealing to them.

This thread starts by insulting people who are excited about game, moves to insulting the game, and ends with insulting people who are excited about the game. Oh, and includes a disclaimer about how sincere the OP is about their question, which, I guess is supposed to negate the insults.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    vicaddictvicaddict Posts: 340 Member
    edited July 2014
    Just like anyone else I don't see an actual eye catcher. They took out a lot of beloved features, even though I don't care much for pools or toddlers, but I still don't see what it is that they implemented.

Graham gave an interview telling everyone how they had to manage their team had to chose what features to include and what sacrifices they had to make, but I still don't know what it is that's worth sacrificing for. bros and emotions certainly aren't worth it. Especially since the emotion system seems to be no differend than a combination of trait and mood meter.

I simply don't know. I am not even angry like many other players are. I am just puzzled and don't get it. I am pretty sure TS4 will go down as fast as medieval did, but still, I don't really care. At least medieval had a differend approach. TS4 is just... the same things we already had in previous games, but less of it.

They removed the online part from an online game and what's left is a dumbed down version of a game aka TS4.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

Maybe someone should define "hook." To me, that sounds like fishing and what kind of bait you use. If you bait the hook with open world and CASt, you get one kind of fish. If you bait the hook with emotions, rotational gameplay, and genetics, you get another kind of fish. Some fish like both kinds of bait. Maybe some like one better than the other but will take both.

Hook

a thing designed to catch people's attention.
    "companies are looking for a sales hook"
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2014

If you need specific terms for "hook" then reaction and interactivity between sims would be the defining hook. That's not personal preference, that is what EA's developers are putting out on the table. If that does not sound interesting to you, then that is your personal preference. But it doesn't negate the fact that the hook is more in depth gameplay between sims.

And, by the by, I do enjoy playing TS3. I was simply emphasizing the comparison between gameplay differences in TS2 and TS3 (both games I love for completely different elements). An "Open World" is not a description for gameplay; it is feature that affects gameplay.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2014
    My hook? Uhmmm.... *derps out*
  • Options
    reiayuyreiayuy Posts: 206 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been silently watching new information about Sims 4 trickle in for months now. When I first heard it was released, I think I was just about as excited as everyone else. Cynical? Maybe. But still excited. But now it seems that with each batch of information that's been released about this newest installment to my once beloved Sims franchise, my interest only wanes and wanes.

I just don't get it. What is the APPEAL of buying this game??

I'm genuinely asking this to all of you who squeal with delight at each new trinket of information that is released. I'm baffled by your excitement. I don't see the "hook" of this game.

Each new Sims title, thus far, has brought us something new, something big.
    -Sims 2: Aging, new life stages. HUGE improvement
    -Sims 3: Open world, CASt
    -Sims 4:...prettier Sims?

I don't get it. Yes, I think the graphics are improved. Big deal? There's no big STEP FORWARD in the Sims 4. No new innovative hook. CAS is improved...but so what? That's not enough for me to actually see the point of buying a 70 new game and 300 dollars worth of expansions and what have you. Shoot, more features are being TAKEN OUT of Sims 4 than are being added IN!

So, to all you hopeless fan girls and boys, I ask you this: why in 7 h***s are you bothering to buy this shameless cash-grab of a game?

This is the million dollar question. We know what the sims 3 has over the sims 4, but really, what does the sims 4 have that is so great that it is a must-buy for so many people.

If your attitude is that 'I always buy every new sims game, so I will buy this one,' maybe you need to reassess your way of thinking. I bought every final fantasy game from 7 until 12, but I didn't buy 13 because it looked like a pile of crap. I don't understand that attitude at all...maybe it's something you have to feel yourself to understand.
  • Options
    GumPlyr123GumPlyr123 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2014
    In the sims 4 its all about emotions. Yeah we have always had them but they didn't really affect our sims that much. In the sims 4 it's more real and these emotions can last for days. For example you know that guy who fought with that old lady and got really mad? That didn't last for a few seconds like past sim games, but until he got cheered up. How come you guys not notice this and only say "we have always had them :roll: "
  • Options
    kama674kama674 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    Fair question OP, I myself have been wondering. Apart from improved CAS and EMOTIONS I guess I don't see anything really... :roll:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:

Hook

a thing designed to catch people's attention.
    "companies are looking for a sales hook"

Okay. Then in what way are we not answering the question? Seems to me like many of us have described what catches our attention, and yet we are told over and over that we are not answering the question appropriately.
  • Options
    Manuel0498Manuel0498 Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2014
    GumPlyr123 wrote:
    In the sims 4 its all about emotions. Yeah we have always had them but they didn't really affect our sims that much. In the sims 4 it's more real and these emotions can last for days. For example you know that guy who fought with that old lady and got really mad? That didn't last for a few seconds like past sim games, but until he got cheered up. How come you guys not notice this and only say "we have always had them :roll: "

I don't think these emotions last for days. In the demo the bald sim was mad and became happy in like a minute after working out.

(off topic) I didn't like how the demo ended with the two sims dieing of laughter. I thought it was suppose to take effort to die of laughter but I guess a simple pee puddle will kill any sim. :? :?
  • Options
    Aotearoa13Aotearoa13 Posts: 309 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Aoralys wrote:

Wow, I'm not usually impressed by what I read here. But this - very good.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    What I find funny is that not a single person has actually replied with a defense :)

What I find funny is people mocking and laughing derisively at a game feature - emotions - without having ever played the game themselves to know if they really do increase depth of interactions and game play or not. ebuchala is correct. The OP's wasn't interested in a straight forward exchange. It was loaded with preconceived bias. Don't bother answering. She had already formed her judgment. Any response that was counter to that bias had already been met with derision.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited July 2014
    kama674 wrote:
    Fair question OP, I myself have been wondering. Apart from improved CAS and EMOTIONS I guess I don't see anything really... :roll:

This. and frankly it's not enough for me to start in on a whole new series. So EA, for the first time ever! ( :wink: ) I'm not getting this game on release day.

It's kind of funny because I do feel very "meh" about Sims 4. I bought and played and loved Sims 1, but I tell you when Sims 2 came out, I never went back. The "in your face" graphic advancement was just so much of an improvement. In fact I no longer even have my Sims 1 games.

Sims 3 - I bought and played for a little while, because the open world and CAST really appealed to me as improved features. But I put it back on the shelf and played Sims 2 until Sims 3 got the Pets EP. My intention was always to go back to Sims 3 once there was a fuller game with more content. And eventually there was. But I still enjoyed Sims 2 while waiting.

Simf 4 has....well. just not enough for me to do it all again. Not at full price anyways. Hey, holidays are a mere 3-4 months after release date and if I do find the game on sale for $30 or less I'll probably pick it up. But not for more than that.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited July 2014
    First of all , was it really necessary to be so rude in the OP?

A lot of you talk about The Sims 3 like it's the crème of the crop
    (and I admit it had some good features,) but I haven't been able to play the game for about 7 months now because of the constant crashing.

I WANT TO PLAY MY SIMS GAME.

I want to make my supermodel sims , have them have a huge , nice house with a rose garden and balconies , make them use voodoo dolls on each other, have a huge joint wedding , garden , get eaten by the Cowplant!

I can't do any of those things in TS3 , but I can do ALL of them in TS4.

Maybe you don't think the game is something worth playing , but a fair number of use do. And calling us 'fanboys/girls' and 'EA sheep' makes you immature and rude.

tumblr_msftmv6F6m1s35g1fo1_250.gif
  • Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    edited July 2014
    I want to make my supermodel sims , have them have a huge , nice house with a rose garden and balconies , make them use voodoo dolls on each other, have a huge joint wedding , garden , get eaten by the Cowplant!
    You can do all of that in TS3.
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited July 2014
    You can do all of that in TS3.

Not if the game crashes before I even get to CAS. Did you not read the rest of my post?
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited July 2014
    @MsPhy (partially. A lot of this is directed at everyone).

I can tell there are two different definitions of "hook" at play here. Neither is wrong, just different.

Your personal "hook" is what is drawing you, as an individual, toward the game.

My meaning of "hook", however, focuses on: "what's new?" I just don't see any "new" features in Sims 4 that are worth taking the plunge for. There doesn't seem to be some big improvement like Open World or Aging (think of how innovative those were in their time for the Sims series!).

With Sims 4, all we get are "emotions" and a "tactile, innovative version of CAS!".

Emotions have always existed. I'm sorry, they have. It might not have been spelled out in large letters across the screen that our Sims are feeling "Angry" or "Hysterical", but we've been able to tell. A lot of people say Sims 3 is soulless. Fine. What about Sims 2, though? Everyone rants and raves about how vibrant and quirky those Sims were!

So then I guess the only "new" feature is CAS. But is this really "new"? Every Sims title thus far has improved on CAS. So I don't really see the new CAS as a "new" feature. I see it as an improvement of an old feature.

So then what do we have? What's the new, never-before-seen "hook" that Sims 4 purports to offer?
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited July 2014

I can't do any of those things in TS3 , but I can do ALL of them in TS4.

I sincerely hope that you will be able to. No sarcasm there. But I must point out the functionality and stability of the game has yet to be proven as yet. The hopeful assumption is of course you'll be able to do this, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed for those of you looking forward to this game. :-)
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.