Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the Point of Buying This Game? What's the Hook?

ยซ1345
I've been silently watching new information about Sims 4 trickle in for months now. When I first heard it was released, I think I was just about as excited as everyone else. Cynical? Maybe. But still excited. But now it seems that with each batch of information that's been released about this newest installment to my once beloved Sims franchise, my interest only wanes and wanes.

I just don't get it. What is the APPEAL of buying this game??

I'm genuinely asking this to all of you who squeal with delight at each new trinket of information that is released. I'm baffled by your excitement. I don't see the "hook" of this game.

Each new Sims title, thus far, has brought us something new, something big.
-Sims 2: Aging, new life stages. HUGE improvement
-Sims 3: Open world, CASt
-Sims 4:...prettier Sims?

I don't get it. Yes, I think the graphics are improved. Big deal? There's no big STEP FORWARD in the Sims 4. No new innovative hook. CAS is improved...but so what? That's not enough for me to actually see the point of buying a 70 new game and 300 dollars worth of expansions and what have you. Shoot, more features are being TAKEN OUT of Sims 4 than are being added IN!

So, to all you hopeless fan girls and boys, I ask you this: why in 7 h***s are you bothering to buy this shameless cash-grab of a game?

Comments

• Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    EMOTIONS. PS no, I'm not buying this rushed game but that's basically what they're selling as their big feature lol.
  • Options
    pecardo22294pecardo22294 Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2014
    Did no one tell you, EMOTIONS EMOTIONS EMOTIONS :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited July 2014
    Justine Keaton.

What? Justine Keaton is always worth it. :D

(Still waiting for Graham to confirm her)
    ---
    The hook for me (besides Justine Keaton), is there are more interactions than normal. Sure toddlers and pools have been removed, but there are more interactions and things to do that you couldn't do in the Sims 3 base game... Such as clubs. :P
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited July 2014
    EMOTIONS and CAS ;);)
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2014
    EMOTIONS!! :evil: :shock: :mrgreen: :oops: :roll: :D:cry::wink: :P Even the plants have emotions...I kid you not they actually found code on MTS. Seeing what A flirty bush does is worth $70 bucks alone! Seriously, not buying! :evil:
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh emotions :roll:.

Because the Sims have never had THOSE before.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    Darkslayer wrote:
    EMOTIONS and CAS ;);)

/\/\

This.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've wondered myself and I don't get the appeal either. From TS to TS3 stuff has been added that have been major improvements/features. With the sims 4 it seems like a lot of those things that made the past sims games great, are now being taken away. I honestly don't see what the hook is for this new game. :?
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    colton147 wrote:
    Justine Keaton.

I am seriously beginning to wonder if you have some, umm, stronger feelings than normal towards this Sim :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What I find funny is that not a single person has actually replied with a defense :)
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Good question. I've been with the franchise since Day 1. Bought everything there was for Sims 1. Bought almost everything there was for Sims 2. Delayed buying Sims 3, but once I found a mod that made it playable I bought a bunch of stuff when it would go on sale. My thought process was always, "Ooh, look, shiny!!" (That's why I delayed Sims 3 purchase for so long -- did not look shiny).

Now Sims 4. I was on the fence until the (badly scripted stupid) demo, but what I saw made me go, "Ooh, shiny!" So ... there's the hook for me. Shiny. And what looks shiny to one person just looks like a piece of tin foil to someone else ;-)
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited July 2014
    After finally seeing some gameplay I'm more baffled than ever as to what this game has going for it. Still the juvenile obsession with pee. And now Sims laugh themselves to death...while their kitchen is on fire? And it happened really quickly so I don't want to hear any more nonsense about how that is an "extreme" emotional state that you actively have to push your Sim in to. Because that's simply not true. A rocket ship on the back porch and some bizarre huge freaking cupcake maker in the kitchen did not at all appeal to me. It really seems like this game is being made for kids, people who find people peeing themselves hilarious, and probably giggle like mad when they get their Sims to "whoo.hoo." Gone is any sort of realistic play or anything that lends itself to legacy families. What little building there is, is pretty but so painfully dumbed down and limited that those of us who LOVED to build are going to get bored really quickly. I have yet to be able to identify the "wow factor" for this game, the thing that makes it an improvement over TS3. Running smoothly and bug free (and we DON'T know if it will yet)would be nice...but did they have to destroy everything we liked about TS3??? We didn't WANT to get rid of the open world. We wanted it to WORK properly. We didn't WANT almost all of the lifestages to have the exact same body type. We WANTED each lifestage to have a wardrobe equal in scope to the YA and Adult stages but to be distinctly different to properly reflect those life stages. Call me old fashioned but I'm not real thrilled that teenagers can look like ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ now because they can wear all the skimpy YA club wear. We didn't WANT to get rid of Toddlers. We WANTED them to be more interesting, endearing and to have more interactions. Pretty much what it looked like happened is that EA looked over all the complaints about TS3 and instead of fixing and improving those issues they simply GOT RID of everything we pointed out had problems. And gave us what in exchange? "Emotions?" They can keep them. Because the ONLY emotions that ridiculous gameplay trailer made ME feel was disappointed and extremely ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ.e.d off.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Good question. I've been with the franchise since Day 1. Bought everything there was for Sims 1. Bought almost everything there was for Sims 2. Delayed buying Sims 3, but once I found a mod that made it playable I bought a bunch of stuff when it would go on sale. My thought process was always, "Ooh, look, shiny!!" (That's why I delayed Sims 3 purchase for so long -- did not look shiny).

Now Sims 4. I was on the fence until the (badly scripted stupid) demo, but what I saw made me go, "Ooh, shiny!" So ... there's the hook for me. Shiny. And what looks shiny to one person just looks like a piece of tin foil to someone else ;-)
    That doesn't answer the question though: what's the hook?
    The hooks in 2 and 3 are objective. I don't quite see that hook yet either in 4.
    Which doesn't mean it isn't there, but maybe you have to play the game first before you get it...
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Still the juvenile obsession with pee.
    :lol:
    (sorry, this just made me laugh :lol: )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited July 2014
    It's about bros, hanging together, anger that last way too long and the advantage/disadvantages for your sims lives. Cut out all the silly stuff in a life simulator, no need for family relationships because there are bros! FTW!

Lots of nightclubs, comedy club, one library, don't need hospitals and all that other stuff was silly, because we have bros! FTW! Hanging out and oh yeah I almost forgot...luchador masks, animal hats. Bros, FTW!
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think they said "Shiny". You know how some simple minded creatures are just attracted to shiny lights, like that?

NOTE: I'm being sarcastic here, but you guys leave yourselves open with these type of comments :)
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    What I find funny is that not a single person has actually replied with a defense :)
    Why would anyone give a serious response to this thread?
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    colton147 wrote:
    Justine Keaton.

I am seriously beginning to wonder if you have some, umm, stronger feelings than normal towards this Sim :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I love Justine Keaton too much. :P
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    I think they said "Shiny". You know how some simple minded creatures are just attracted to shiny lights, like that?

NOTE: I'm being sarcastic here, but you guys leave yourselves open with these type of comments :)

Imma' just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ

(I'm sorry! I couldn't resist :D)
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

The hooks in 2 and 3 are objective. I don't quite see that hook yet either in 4.
    Which doesn't mean it isn't there, but maybe you have to play the game first before you get it...

*shrugs* The shininess hooked me. How to explain shiny: It's new. It caught my eye. I like the look of the Sims SO much more than in Sims 3. I like that they've brought genetics back. Some of the new interactions look interesting. The style of gameplay is new.

They've taken Sims 3 about as far as it can go. Seriously, what more could they give it with the current game engine? It was like when we went from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3. Yeah, 4's not complete; it's a base. It's starting over. Just like 2. Just like 3. With EPs and SPs to come. I want to do it all over again, but new.

I still love my Sims 2, still play it. And I guess I like Sims 3 well enough because I just bought some EPs that were on sale for ridiculously low prices. But I'm ready for new, and I like the look of Sims 4.

P.S. bflury, insult me all you like. I knew what I was saying when I said it. I was actually thinking of Firefly.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:

No, cause as I understand it 1 and 2 were shiny as well, and 3 after installing some mods.
    'The hook' OP asks for is something unique, never seen before in the prequels :P

Edit:
    MsPhy: I don't understand 'genetics are back', there are genetics in Sims 3, it's one of my favourite aspects in the game :wink:
    What I mean is: 'shiny' is vague and very personal. That just isn't what the OP is asking for. What's new, what's the change, where is the revolution. At least, I think that's the question.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited July 2014
    blewis823 wrote:
    It's about bros, hanging together, anger that last way too long and the advantage/disadvantages for your sims lives. Cut out all the silly stuff in a life simulator, no need for family relationships because there are bros! FTW!

Lots of nightclubs, comedy club, one library, don't need hospitals and all that other stuff was silly, because we have bros! FTW! Hanging out and oh yeah I almost forgot...luchador masks, animal hats. Bros, FTW!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't get it either.i don't see what so great . What will have people buying is the fact that it has a sims logo, and it's a shiny new one..
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    P.S. bflury, insult me all you like. I knew what I was saying when I said it. I was actually thinking of Firefly.
    It was clearly a joke, I even said so in the post.

Darkslayer I'm stealing that link. Its awesome!

• Options
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    MsPhy wrote:
    It was clearly a joke, I even said so in the post.

Darkslayer I'm stealing that link. Its awesome!

I love that video far too much :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    Why would anyone give a serious response to this thread?
    It was a completely legit question. If you care to share, what's your response?