Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Same-sex couples

Comments

• Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited July 2014
    It is a fact that we are born with a preference, whether we act on that preference is shaped by society. But the preference is a genetic one that is there from birth and should not be fought against.

This is where the argument about whether being LGBT is 'right' or an 'aberration' come into play which is not a discussion for here.

It should not be fought against regardless of whether it's genetic or not, so the question is academic.

The only fact is that we do not fully understand what causes any particular sexual orientation, including heterosexuality.

The argument only goes in the direction you've mentioned because narrow-minded people through some reductive thinking and big leaps in reasoning somehow got from 'maybe not 100% genetic' to 'abberation' and/or 'can be unlearned'. I hope you'll agree with me that we shouldn't allow those people to dictate the terms of what could be an interesting discussion, or force us to declare things facts that have never been proven.

Please refer (attentively) to my responses to BlackPlumbob for more detailed discussion.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    CLM1227CLM1227 Posts: 517 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Just as long as they don't add religion.

Because that's offensive.

And intolerant.
  • Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    delonariel wrote:
    I'd love to have interracial couples
    This is already well covered in previous games.
  • Options
    snowpatrolchlosnowpatrolchlo Posts: 350
    edited July 2014
    I'm totally for this. I'd love to see members of the LGBT community already in-game, especially if they had kids placed with them.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    delonariel wrote:
    I think you're trolling half of the time.
    Likewise...now did you really need to tell everyone that?
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited July 2014
    On one hand i'd love it, especially as part of the LGBT community. I loved the Pride render.

On the other I wouldn't be looking forward to the outrage it'd cause by some people :? .

Love is love and I think it'd be a great step, I just would be banging my head on my desk when it came to all the crap that'd happen over it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    Anthono wrote:
    delonariel wrote:
    I think you're trolling half of the time.
    Likewise...now did you really need to tell everyone that?
    Do you still hate me for asking if you're gay?
    I never did hate you for that
  • Options
    EvolventityEvolventity Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    I would enjoy seeing same-sex couples in the Sims 4. Representation is very important.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited July 2014
    If there aren't, well, there soon will be. I value diversity in my game but I understand not everyone feels the same way. I would hope we're all adult enough to handle a same-sex couple in the game, but judging by some of these forum posts I have doubts on that.
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    delonariel wrote:

Yes, I hope they continue to be there in the future, is what I meant. :-)
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd be completely fine with EA putting a gay/lesbian couple in the Sims 4. I live in San Diego and Pride Week is a pretty big deal here. I have a few friends who are either gay or bisexual so it would make the town/district/whatever seem more realistic to me.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited July 2014
    My aunty was straight, married for 35 years and had 2 kids, she still says she was straight all those years and never looked at women as romantic partners. She is now in a relationship with a woman and all she knows is she fell in love with this woman, she genuinely doesn't know how it happened but it did. Explain this as she obviously wasn't "born that way". She has a good family so has no reason to have lived a lie and is adamant she was straight before she met her current girlfriend..

Why does it need to be explained? Even if being gay were a choice, what does that matter? Despite what some extremists try to claim, it doesn't hurt our children, it doesn't affect you personally, and it isn't bad for the country/world/whatever. As others have said, love is love. As long as it's two consenting adults, why do some people get so up in arms about it? I've never understood that.
  • Options
    SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2014
    Before the OP's original post I didn't realise there had ever been premade same sex couples in the sims. I guess I've never even thought about it because we've always had the option to make any sim involved in a hetero or same sex relationship.
    I love how much EA supports the LBGT community so you never know what they'll include in the sims 4 base.

On a side note....anyone remember Chris and Melissa Roomies? I always had them get together and then it occurred to me like a decade later that they probably were intended to just be two actual roommates xD
  • Options
    Aotearoa13Aotearoa13 Posts: 309 Member
    edited July 2014
    Happy to have same sex couples in my game as long as the forum doesn't turn into bashing the 'heteronormative' - an abusive, put-down term in itself, and used that way here reasonably often.

• Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    moo11x wrote:
    I hope they can have a nice variety of pre-mades.

Irritated me no end with TS3: ITF... Don't see why SS couples couldn't randomise a child in the hospital, it was supposedly the future... They couldn't use it anyway because they were Aliens...

However I would like that feature brought back as SS couple friendly~
    Your same sex couples should be able to have children from the hospital in ITF, it's definitely possible.

YAY! I'm really happy~ I worked!!! :mrgreen:

Happyness.png

Gosh, I would've just never tried again because I gave up but thank you sooo much for letting me know!!! :thumbup:
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    Seriously?! I tried it with both Gay and Lesbian and it didn't work, all it read was that the Sim needed a friend so I even tried it with their friends too... Is mine the only one that doesn't work? I've tried it so many times on different games... I just gave up in the end :(
    I'll try it again, I know that Aliens just can't use it, I tried humans and Supernaturals... I'll give it another try! I'm going to be sooo happy it works :mrgreen: Thank for letting me know~ :thumbup:

My gay couple has two kinds from the future.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited July 2014
    Aotearoa13 wrote:
    Happy to have same sex couples in my game as long as the forum doesn't turn into bashing the 'heteronormative' - an abusive, put-down term in itself, and used that way here reasonably often.

Hi there. Heteronormativity is often used mistakenly to insult people who are exclusively attractive to people of the opposite sex, or who happen to be in a relationship with a person of the opposite sex. I agree with you that these kinds of insults are never nice to see.

However, in its correct sense the term is very useful, and one that I think it's quite right be deployed disparagingly. Here is Wikipedia's definition:
    Heteronormativity is the belief that people fall into distinct and complementary genders (man and woman) with natural roles in life. It asserts that heterosexuality is the only sexual orientation or only norm, and states that sexual and marital relations are most (or only) fitting between people of opposite sexes.

And this from the OED online (which records the first written use as being by Marina Warner in 1991):
    The property or quality of being heteronormative; the privileging of biologically determined gender roles and heterosexuality.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    I never did hate you for that
    Thanks I was only kidding and know you're straight. Sorry if it offended you. :) I don't think you're a troll really, but your posts about "is this necessary" or "we already have this" make me think you are just trying to get a reaction out of someone and don't really contribute to the discussion. :wink:

And you can't have him steal your shtick, can you?

I still remember the gross comments you posted on the thread about the render featuring the Asian guy wearing short shorts. They even got you banned.