Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Same-sex couples

Comments

• Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    Strange, I thought we had same sex couples before...
    Also, its still widely forbidden throughout the Middle East,Africa and Asia..
    We have had one same-sex premade couple in TS3 (in the store world Roaring Heights) and one implies premade same-sex couple (in the world Aurora Skies) but they were actually just best friends. This thread is asking for a pre-made samesex couple in TS4, not 3. And frankly, I couldn't care less where it is "widely forbidden" (other than for the poor people who have to live there). If you were part of (or a supporter of) a minority who is not equally represented you would understand why we want this and what it would mean to us.
    They can.
  • Options
    wooters2014wooters2014 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2014
    The base game and EP's should come with LGBT couples.

But more importantly there should be a slider in CAS to allow us to determine the sexuality of our Sims. They have stated that like prvious games they all come Gender preference neutral and we will have to make them flirt etc. with a specific gender to make them HLGBT!!!

They are reinforcing the negative stereotype that sexuality is purely a leant behaviour and not a born with genetic preference.

This is unacceptable in 2014!! It also strongly suggests that the creators of the game are homophobic.

I agree a slider would be great, drives me mad when sims will flirt with anything with legs lol
  • Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014

But more importantly there should be a slider in CAS to allow us to determine the sexuality of our Sims. They have stated that like prvious games they all come Gender preference neutral and we will have to make them flirt etc. with a specific gender to make them HLGBT!!!

They are reinforcing the negative stereotype that sexuality is purely a leant behaviour and not a born with genetic preference.

This is unacceptable in 2014!! It also strongly suggests that the creators of the game are homophobic.

I agree a slider would be great, drives me mad when sims will flirt with anything with legs lol
    Personally I just find this so much easier than any slider,as it is not edited in CAS and can be changed at any point.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited July 2014
    Personally, I don't know whether sexual orientation is genetic or not. So far as I'm aware the scientific evidence is pretty inconclusive.

I don't rule out the possibility that non-hetereosexual orientations are learned, but that also means I don't rule out the possibility that heterosexual orientations are also learned. To my mind, one would entail the other. And I also don't think learned (in the very limited sense of not genetic) implies any kind of choice or the possibility of reversal, in either case.

People being in same-sex relationships should not be a delicate issue. I find the fact that it is for some people very depressing. But the exact mechanics of the way sexual orientation works in the game is understandably a delicate issue. I like that it's not something that can be determined in CAS (although if it were, I think a slider would be the best way to do it), but I understand that people - who otherwise feel similarly to me on LGTBQ issues - may disagree.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    GameLover16GameLover16 Posts: 361 Member
    edited July 2014

I have to disagree with that. You may as well say every single piece of media that doesn't have feature a homosexual person is made by a homophobic person. If the creators really were homophobic, they wouldn't have allowed same-sex relationships and marriage to begin with.

Every sim is practically bisexual. I really don't see what more they can do. Speaking for myself, I don't give two cents about sexuality, not even my own.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    Personally, I don't know whether sexual orientation is genetic or not. So far as I'm aware the scientific evidence is pretty inconclusive.

I don't rule out the possibility that non-hetereosexual orientations are learned, but that also means I don't rule out the possibility that heterosexual orientations are also learned. To my mind, one would entail the other. And I also don't think learned (in the very limited sense of not genetic) implies any kind of choice or the possibility of reversal, in either case.
    How can we learn to be gay? I never met or saw one gay person growing up. :D

Right, but that's only if you take a simple understanding of what 'learned' means - the understanding the bigots who think orientation can be 'unlearned' use.

You might not have met people who identified as gay, but you met men and women, and saw the images/versions of men and women presented to you broadly. I'm sure you had unique and significant relationships to a lot of them.

I'm not sure how it works. No one really is. I don't want to diminish your understanding of your sexuality. It's so important that you are comfortable in that.

But, just for me personally, understanding my own sexuality, and in the absence of hard genetic evidence from trusted, peer-reviewed sources, I'm going to keep an open mind, and not let a bunch of mean-spirited close-minded people (the 'we can fix you' camp) put me off staying open to the possibility that sexual orientation is not entirely genetically hard-wired.

If that's the case (and I don't know if it is - that's what I'm saying), it doesn't mean I can choose my sexuality; it doesn't mean there's anything unnatural about it, or that it's somehow 'not the default' - that's all just nonsensical hate-speech, obviously. It just means maybe, maybe, I wasn't 100% 'born [any particular] way'.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    utterlyunzippedutterlyunzipped Posts: 503 New Member
    edited July 2014

I have to disagree with that. You may as well say every single piece of media that doesn't have feature a homosexual person is made by a homophobic person. If the creators really were homophobic, they wouldn't have allowed same-sex relationships and marriage to begin with.

Every sim is practically bisexual. I really don't see what more they can do. Speaking for myself, I don't give two cents about sexuality, not even my own.

You misunderstand me.... It's the fact that the developers are implying that sexuality is purely a learned behaviour that is homophobic as it implies that it is a social construct. This opens a dangerous can of worms such as: if it is a leaned behaviour then it can be morally wrong and therefore 'reprogramming' clinics become legitimate. It would mean people have the right to judge others on their sexuality.

Secondly every Sim does not start as bisexual, they start as gender neutral and have to be coerced/taught to favour one or both sexes. If they were bisexual from the start they would jump into bed with either sex right from the start, where as they have no interest in either.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    It just means maybe, maybe, I wasn't 100% 'born [any particular] way'.
    Hmm, thank you for explaining that to me. That was an interesting read and has made me look at things a bit differently. :D

So I understand you mean that its possible that lots of things could have helped shape our sexuality, like the way we are raised, our surroundings, what we're subjected to etc. Sort of like how it shapes our personality? And we don't just pop out of the womb thinking "hey I like boys."

Yes, I'm saying that I think that's possible. Sexuality is such a complex thing that it seems more likely to me that there are lots of factors, some of which may be genetic - but again, I don't know.

Thank you very much not jumping down my throat :) I'm sure you're sick of people saying 'it's learned - just get over it and be normal' and all that awful stuff. I just don't want those people to get in the way of considering all the possibilities :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

You misunderstand me.... It's the fact that the developers are implying that sexuality is purely a learned behaviour that is homophobic as it implies that it is a social construct. This opens a dangerous can of worms such as: if it is a leaned behaviour then it can be morally wrong and therefore 'reprogramming' clinics become legitimate. It would mean people have the right to judge others on their sexuality.

Secondly every Sim does not start as bisexual, they start as gender neutral and have to be coerced/taught to favour one or both sexes. If they were bisexual from the start they would jump into bed with either sex right from the start, where as they have no interest in either.
    Okay...

I don't know about your game but in mine, they will flirt with anyone if they have a flirtatious trait and I leave free will alone.

Even if sexuality were learned behavior, nobody would have the right to judge. No one has the right to judge anyone on anything if it has no effect in them.
  • Options
    utterlyunzippedutterlyunzipped Posts: 503 New Member
    edited July 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    It just means maybe, maybe, I wasn't 100% 'born [any particular] way'.
    Hmm, thank you for explaining that to me. That was an interesting read and has made me look at things a bit differently. :D

So I understand you mean that its possible that lots of things could have helped shape our sexuality, like the way we are raised, our surroundings, what we're subjected to etc. Sort of like how it shapes our personality? And we don't just pop out of the womb thinking "hey I like boys."

It is a fact that we are born with a preference, whether we act on that preference is shaped by society. But the preference is a genetic one that is there from birth and should not be fought against. This is where the argument about whether being LGBT is 'right' or an 'aberration' come into play which is not a discussion for here.

Most LGBT people will tell you that they new they were LGBT long before they developed any sexual feeling (pre-pubescent).

The scale of sexuality and self gender awareness is a sliding one from 100% homosexual to 100% heterosexual and 100% female to 100% male.

Two random examples are that you can be born 'a male' who is 100% gay or yo can be born 'a female' who is 100% hetero. But you could also be born 'a male' who is psychologically 100% female in their gender identity. It is all down to genetics, and it is all a sliding scale. There is no right or wrong. The only definition that has a 'correctness' about it is in terms of purely biological evolutionary study. In this case the only 'correct' version(s) are those that ensure the future of the species. I.E. those that result in reproduction. But humans have moved on from being bound by pure evolution.

Back to the game, it needs to have a slider from 100% hetero to 100% gay with 100% Bi sexual in the middle. While there are a few very rare individuals who have absolutely no sexual preference it is unusual and negligible enough to leave out of the game.
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    I hope they can have a nice variety of pre-mades.

Irritated me no end with TS3: ITF... Don't see why SS couples couldn't randomise a child in the hospital, it was supposedly the future... They couldn't use it anyway because they were Aliens...

However I would like that feature brought back as SS couple friendly~
  • Options
    iTboneiTbone Posts: 18 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I highly doubt the developers of The Sims are homophobic. Maxis is like 30 minutes outside San Francisco (a very progressive city), they released that pride image with Sims 4 families a week or so ago, and I'm pretty sure they (or EA) also made an It Gets Better video back when that was a thing.

The reason they don't have sexuality sliders in the game is probably the same reason why they took the promised WooHoo skill out. People have archaic views of sex and would much prefer their children be exposed to gore and violence as opposed to two people commuting an act of love.

EA can't afford anymore bad press with this game and if they added sexuality sliders and a WooHoo skill, some trash media outlet such as Fox News would make a story/controversy over it and scare away a lot of customers (like the controversy with the Mass Effect 1 romance scenes).

However, I could def see Maxis put these things in the next late Night-like expansion. And I also see no reason why they shouldn't or couldn't add a gay couple as a pre-made family in the base game. Although, I don't see the point as said family will just sit in their house and rot until they are replaced with townies.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Back to the game, it needs to have a slider from 100% hetero to 100% gay with 100% Bi sexual in the middle. While there are a few very rare individuals who have absolutely no sexual preference it is unusual and negligible enough to leave out of the game.

I am one of those individuals and if they are going to include sexuality, they should include that one too.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited July 2014
    moo11x wrote:

Irritated me no end with TS3: ITF... Don't see why SS couples couldn't randomise a child in the hospital, it was supposedly the future... They couldn't use it anyway because they were Aliens...

Your same sex couples should be able to have children from the hospital in ITF, it's definitely possible.
  • Options
    wooters2014wooters2014 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2014
    My aunty was straight, married for 35 years and had 2 kids, she still says she was straight all those years and never looked at women as romantic partners. She is now in a relationship with a woman and all she knows is she fell in love with this woman, she genuinely doesn't know how it happened but it did. Explain this as she obviously wasn't "born that way". She has a good family so has no reason to have lived a lie and is adamant she was straight before she met her current girlfriend..
  • Options
    moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    moo11x wrote:

Your same sex couples should be able to have children from the hospital in ITF, it's definitely possible.

Seriously?! I tried it with both Gay and Lesbian and it didn't work, all it read was that the Sim needed a friend so I even tried it with their friends too... Is mine the only one that doesn't work? I've tried it so many times on different games... I just gave up in the end :(
    I'll try it again, I know that Aliens just can't use it, I tried humans and Supernaturals... I'll give it another try! I'm going to be sooo happy it works :mrgreen: Thank for letting me know~ :thumbup:
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    My aunty was straight, married for 35 years and had 2 kids, she still says she was straight all those years and never looked at women as romantic partners. She is now in a relationship with a woman and all she knows is she fell in love with this woman, she genuinely doesn't know how it happened but it did. Explain this as she obviously wasn't "born that way". She has a good family so has no reason to have lived a lie and is adamant she was straight before she met her current girlfriend..

I think sexuality is a lot more fluid than people like to think, and people have a lot more capacity to love than they might expect.
  • Options
    MissHoney118MissHoney118 Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2014
    I like the way sexuality works in the game right now. It's not limiting.

One's sexuality isn't set in stone. It's fluid, however, that doesn't make it a choice. Examples:

-You identify as bisexual. During a period of time you're more often attracted to women than men. Then you can have a period when you more often feel attracted to men than women.

-You identify as a straight woman. Even though you're mainly attracted to men, during a period of time you feel more attracted to women than you normally do.

Not a lot of people are gay/straight to 100%. I'm not saying they don't exist though, so please don't jump on me.
    23u1xdu.gif
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I'd love to have interracial couples and gay couples among the premade families. I think it's important everyone is included.