Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ZOO U WIP Homework Thread

So, today begins ZOO U Course 14: There's Builder Trickery Afoot and I decided that I need to make a thread dedicated to this class. I will be using my current WIP with this class, as I actually made it with trickery in mind! :D

At present moment I have dubbed my build The Compound as it fits it at the moment. However, I really want to give it a name that POPS!

For convenience purposes I am linking the post where I have current WIP pics of this project. However, all further pictures of that WIP will be located on this thread.

About the Build:

In real life, all over the world, architects are building underground shelters for people preparing for apocalyptic-type disasters.

Those Apocalypse entrepreneurs are making a
B.U.T.T. L.O.A.D
of money off of these people.

(WHY DOES IT KEEP PUTTING MY RED, BOLD, and ITALICIZED WORDS IN FRONT OF MY SENTENCE INSTEAD OF INSIDE MY SENTENCE?!?!)

So, I am taking the same concept and adapting it to The Sims, and for those story telling people who like to have builds to suit their story telling purposes.

First off, this is a residential build for my game, BUT I am thinking about making it commercial and putting registers from WA inside to create a cafeteria. Rather than it have individual kitchens in each of the residential compartments. If I had the diner/bakery sets that would work better, but I don't and I won't for a while. :)I MAYmake it one of each. :D

The compound is an Fallout Shelter built underneath an old castle battlement. lol. I liked the idea of putting a shelter under some pre-renaissance-esque build as it makes for a very interesting story piece.

To get to the shelter, the architect created a daylight basement entrance as the battlement is not available to the general public. Only military/security are allowed and is only accessible to those who hold the key to the security doors (whether inside or out). This is where I would like to use builder trickery and also tomb making stuff. I have quite the imagination and even though it isn't truly locked to regular Sims, it is fun to think about!

In my mind I am thinking Zombie Apocalypse, but it would work for nuclear fallout, massive viral/bacterial contamination, meteor crashing and blocking the dust blocking out the sun, volcanic eruption... well... maybe not volcanic eruption... lol. However, this fallout shelter is built for sims with money in mind.

The subterranean residential area consists of 3 basement levels and the 4th basement level is all for security purposes, complete with a brig! I plan to have an underground garden, playground, etc. There is tons of communal space, plus individual/family compartments.

Anyhow, this is a homework thread and ANY input is welcome, especially ANY input that would help me make this build better, from: what to change, what you think would be cool to put somewhere, to "I really don't like..." and suggestions to make it better.

This is ALL about learning (and I am a RL teacher who LOVES to learn), so PLEASE don't hesitate to truly critique my work.

P.S. Please ignore my shoddy grammar... it is summer and my brain is ON VACATION! :P

Edit: B.U.T.T. L.O.A.D is NOT cursing nor is it derogatory!!!! Fixed my post because of censor 🐸🐸🐸🐸.S. :P (censored again...booo!!!)

My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    edited June 2014
    It is great that you have set up a thread for your zoo uni work , and that you will be continuing on with your Compund WIP in it. :) Your WIP of it in your other thread is looking great! Great ideas and background details behind both the build as a whole and the individual areas of it!
  • Options
    sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited June 2014
    Missy Tester successfully dove into the well! Please excuse the fact that this was at night, I was too lazy to wait for daylight to take pics! LOL! I plan on linking it with a dive well in the brig! :D
    jAKtAva.jpg

Okay, so before I napped I made some HORRIBLE rugs using only rugs, only tiles, and a combination of rugs and tiles. I will post my embarrassment:
    Nj3NxQb.jpgf4LwICU.jpgudJCQac.jpgUPUqjpJ.jpggtrR0vi.jpgkgpmOC9.jpg

And now for what I consider to be just a bit better. I still have lots of practice. :D
    wSvhhO9.jpgv3u9lKC.jpgMhmzg5H.jpgFBUqcBk.jpgFUrTSOG.jpgqqrELkG.jpgooSJ751.jpgnq24JnR.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Your wishing well looks great! It looks great that you have placed water lily lights on the roof of the wishing well and have used greenery entwined columns for the sides. All your rugs and carpeting look great! It looks great how you have layered the rugs and also how you have recoloured the tiles. They are great :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you Ms. Rose! :)

You are too sweet!
  • Options
    illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited June 2014
    That looks lovely! Especially the bedroom.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you illusie!! :)
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2014
    Rugs and wishing well looks good Sherry! I especially love the purple one! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you Yanti! I appreciate it! I still want to work on different rugs, because I am far from good, like others here who are really artistically inclined! :)
  • Options
    BishopBettieBishopBettie Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2014
    Not artistically inclined? Not true! What I see in your rug work is an artistic talent for creating environments. The green bedroom is so lush looking you can practically see steam .... the rug is curious... it looks like it is, well, alive! (lol)

The orange rug in the room of many drapes also impresses me. It has a kinda tribal feel. The beige curtains seem like bunches of straw, a tropical sensibility. I also like your orange octagon rug. I'd like to see this in game. I would enjoy it in the right place.

You well looks great. I am impressed! Happy to see your work, SherryLynn.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    BishopBettie: Thank you for your kind words! You know when someone compliments your work such as you have, it creates quite the embarrassing..."How do I show my gratitude that doesn't seem like I am just scripting out the thank you's" I really do appreciate your comments and the warm fuzzies it brought to me! :)
  • Options
    kuroi_nekomatakuroi_nekomata Posts: 817 Member
    edited June 2014
    Your rugs looks so great. I especially like the octagonal and the green one with its variation. The bedroom with the green rug looks so lovely. If I wouldn't know that these are made of tiles and rugs, I would believe that these are normal one piece rugs.
  • Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    edited June 2014
    Very lovely :shock: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you so very much Neko and Meagan! I truly appreciate it! :)
  • Options
    Sallidra20Sallidra20 Posts: 604 Member
    edited June 2014
    Wonderful! Very prettily done, I can see you've taken Zoo's lessons to heart! I love the purple rug combo & the bedroom green layering! Wonderfully done! :mrgreen:

P.S.~ All of the exclamation points are sincerely meant. :D
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sherry,

I think your rug work is looking good! The only thing that I would suggest you try is to make the colors in your patterns be of different values (lightness and darkness) so that you get some better contrast between the patterns.

What I mean is when you use as shade of green in one pattern and the exact same green, including tonal value, in a different pattern and lay them side by side that green crawls across the entire design and there doesn't appear to BE two patterns. It is something you sometimes might want to do on purpose, but it can also make a really busy-looking rug if there is too much of it.

Look at your first rug photo, with all the rust and orange shades. You have some good contrast from the outer border to the next pattern in because of the next pattern having so much of the light gold shade, but if the dark rust on that inner pattern was ALSO a little lighter then that might look good and make the contrast from border to body of the rug even stronger.

For this rug stack, the main issue is right in the middle. You have that one pattern on the border of one of the rugs on top AND on the border of the four rugs immediately beneath it. If you want to make it look as if there is one design element there, then you might want to do that, but you will need to pick a different pattern so that it blends together better.

If what you want is the contrast of having different elements, then I don't think making all those rug borders match is a good thing.

One thing that I USUALLY (there is always a reason to break a rule in design, so I wouldn't say always) do when rug stacking is to make sure that if two rugs are stacked right on top of each other and they share a pattern, then the patterns don't directly touch each other.

I might make the shared pattern be the borders of the outer rugs and the interior of the top rug, that sort of thing.

Another design "rule" is that you never put anything JUST one place. The very most interior (top) pattern for this same rug stack is all by it's lonesome. Using that somewhere else (maybe where the heart rugs are?) and maybe changing the value of the rust (going really dark or really light) might look good. IF you go really light, then the gold on that pattern may need to be adjusted, too, as you don't want the contrast to be lost.

You are doing GREAT, this is just some ideas to think about and play with. You will be more satisfied with your results as you get more practice in!

Zoo

oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Zoo, this is how I know we would be great friends, you do not patronize me! You gave me advice straight up without worrying that I might get upset that I have work to do. And of course, I am not upset by your advice at all! I will take this to heart and work on some more rugs, playing with values and pattern use. {that is probably why my Green with Envy house looks like....someone was possessed and went all "Exorcist" (pea soup vomit) in my rooms!...lol}
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    NEW WIP Pics:

The garden and Nectary, I am still working out layouts of the garden, and I still have to put decor in the nectary, but It is looking pretty awesome, if I do say so myself! ;)

Nectary:
    z7EkOlK.jpg
    Garden:
    1WikIfl.jpgrH4wyrT.jpgZ9lBUBT.jpgSSYrV0Y.jpg

And just because I love my lil bridge:
    nHiQPdb.jpg

Have a great day!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The nectary looks great! Great texture of the walls and flooring. It looks great how you have done the cabinet area! The relics on the top of the cabinet and the items on the shelves on the side look great. Great recolouring of the nectar making machine. It looks great how you have placed the arch over the door. Very nice garden! It looks great how you have placed the plants. The yellow ceiling looks great! It looks great how you have done the brickwork planter container and have the red flowers in it. The produce baskets look nice placed beside it. Your bridge is very nice! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The nectary area, the garden and the bridge looks fantastic! It has got the mediterrenean vibe which I love! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    More Fun in the Compound this morning before I go and pick up my lil girl from her grammy's! :D

This is the elevator entrance to the communal garden/playground area. I really like the way it turned out!
    KM4jwRA.jpg

Playground (still have decor to put in, but it is mostly set up)

VJg9Nu6.jpgP0nHmsO.jpgUBtIrG6.jpg

Because I figure a chapel of sorts was needed:
    GmkrvxY.jpgWboNkRt.jpg

And an overview of this level: Garden, Playground, Chapel, Nectary (attached to chapel, so that you can get a nectar buzz after worshiping.
    fIQhIKB.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nice updates Sherry! I like the elevator entrance and chapel!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Very nice elevator entrance! The diagonal design and the pattern and texture on the flooring looks great! The playground is looking great. Sims of all ages will have fun playing on the equipment , riding the spring riders or using the slippery water slide there. It will be a nice place for sims to enjoy having a picnic at the picnic table. The Chapel looks very nice! Very nice golden shade of colour that you have used there and the wall panelling looks nice. It looks nice the type of and how you have you have placed the comfortable sofa pew seats. Great golden recolouring of the statues. The candles on the altar table looks great, and the ceiling flame lights suit the type of room well.
    Great updates ! :)
  • Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    edited June 2014
    LOL for some reason I keep singing follow the yellow brick road ever since I saw your garden room. Nice updates :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    yanti68 wrote:
    Nice updates Sherry! I like the elevator entrance and chapel!

I do too, it reminds me of a sunflower!I still want to play with the brown on the diagonal to see how that would work for me. :)Thank you!
    rosemow wrote:
    Very nice elevator entrance! The diagonal design and the pattern and texture on the flooring looks great! The playground is looking great. Sims of all ages will have fun playing on the equipment , riding the spring riders or using the slippery water slide there. It will be a nice place for sims to enjoy having a picnic at the picnic table. The Chapel looks very nice! Very nice golden shade of colour that you have used there and the wall panelling looks nice. It looks nice the type of and how you have you have placed the comfortable sofa pew seats. Great golden recolouring of the statues. The candles on the altar table looks great, and the ceiling flame lights suit the type of room well.
    Great updates ! :)

Thank you for your kind compliments! I appreciate them!
    MeaganJo wrote:
    LOL for some reason I keep singing follow the yellow brick road ever since I saw your garden room. Nice updates :D

To be fair, it is the lighting. I was trying to change the lighting so that they resemble CFL lighting coloration, but I think I need a softer yellow. LOL. Maybe The Wizard can tell me a more subtle value to use for the lights. HAHA! Thank you for your compliment!
  • Options
    follyfootfollyfoot Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited June 2014
    Beautiful rich detailed rugs Sherry :D