The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Borneo entry for Around the World in 80 days

StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
Entry to All around the World in 80 days
A competition by TnT_Terry in the GG forum.

Destination: Borneo, Indonesia, Kalimantan.

Map of Borneo:

karte-6-648.gif

Info about Borneo:

Borneo geography

Borneo is located in the South East Asia and with a area at 743,330km2 (287,000 sq mi), Borneo is the third-largest island in the world and the largest island of Asia. At the geographic centre of Maritime Southeast Asia, in relation to major Indonesian islands, it is located north of Java, west of Sulawesi, and east of Sumatra.
The island is divided among three countries: Brunei and Malaysia on the north, and Indonesia to the south. Approximately 73% of the island is Indonesian territory and this is where my assignment is, in the Kalimantan region. – It’s also the Indonesian name for Borneo.

Indonesian flag:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgcJ5X41Kkw_xcL1wClOAFPoUOGApd40UG87z7ZA-mmIlYuimc

In the north, the Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak, along with the federal territory of Labuan, make up about 26% of the island. The sovereign state of Brunei, located on the north coast, comprises about 1% of Borneo's land area. Borneo is home to one of the oldest rainforests in the world.

The climate is tropical and its highest point is Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia, with an elevation of 4,095 m (13,435 ft).
Borneo has significant cave systems. Clearwater Cave, for example, has one of the world's longest underground rivers. Deer Cave is home to over three million bats, with guano accumulated to over 100 metres (330 ft) deep. – Its also in some of these caves that the eatable bird nests are harvested. – One of the most expensive foods in the world. The nest is made of bird saliva and you make a soup on the nest and eat it. Enjoy!

The Borneo rainforest is 140 million years old, making it one of the oldest rainforests in the world. There are about 15,000 species of flowering plants with 3,000 species of trees (267 species are dipterocarps), 221 species of terrestrial mammals and 420 species of resident birds in Borneo. There are about 440 freshwater fish species in Borneo (about the same as Sumatra and Java combined). It is the centre of the evolution and distribution of many endemic species of plants and animals. The Borneo rainforest is one of the few remaining natural habitats for the endangered Bornean orangutan. It is an important refuge for many endemic forest species, including the Asian elephant, the Sumatran rhinoceros, the Bornean clouded leopard, the Hose's civet and the dayak fruit bat.

The island historically had extensive rainforest cover, but the area was reduced due to heavy logging for the Malaysian and Indonesian plywood industry. Half of the annual global tropical timber acquisition comes from Borneo. Palm oil plantations have been widely developed and are rapidly encroaching on the last remnants of primary rainforest.
This has a devastating effect on the biodiversity of the Island and makes it difficult for the animals like the beautiful orangutans to survive as their natural habitats are being destroyed.
- My pledge to you is; to only use certified wood from sustainable foresting. And if you use palm oil (its in many food product!) use certified fair-trade or try to avoid it as it has become a very harmful industry.

Demographics

The demonym for Borneo is Bornean or Bornese.
Borneo has 19,800,000 inhabitants (in mid-2010), a population density of 26 inhabitants per square km. Most of the population lives in coastal cities, although the hinterland has small towns and villages along the rivers. The population consists mainly of Malay, Banjar, Chinese and Dayak ethnic groups. The Chinese, who make up 29% of the population of Sarawak and 17% of total population in West Kalimantan, Indonesia are descendants of immigrants primarily from southeastern China.

The religion of the majority of the population in Kalimantan is Muslim, and some indigenous groups continue to practice animism. But, approximately 91% of the Dayak are Christian, a religion introduced by missionaries in the 19th century. In Central Kalimantan is a small Hindu minority. In the interior of Borneo are the Penan, some of who still live as nomadic hunter-gatherers. Some coastal areas have marginal settlements of the Bajau, who historically lived in a sea-oriented, boat-dwelling, nomadic culture. In the northwest of Borneo, the Dayak ethnic group is represented by the Iban, with about 710,000 members. - This is the ethnic group I have focused on and made my entry about, as they are the indigenous people of Borneo. All the other populations on the island have arrived in the last 1500 years. – Often as a trading destination for Chinese, Indians and Javanese as the first ones to come to Borneo. Later the Europeans arrived and a part of the Island was under British and Dutch control from the 1800, mainly as a part of the times shipping route with minor settlements. In World War 2 Borneo was occupied by the Japanese, but liberated in 1945. Since 1963 Borneo have had the geography it has today with tree nations sharing the Island.

In Kalimantan since the 1990s, the Indonesian government has undertaken an intense transmigration program; it financed the relocation to that area of poor, landless families from Java, Madura, and Bali. By 2001, transmigrants made up 21% of the population in Central Kalimantan. Since the 1990s, the indigenous Dayak and Malays have resisted encroachment by these migrants: violent conflict has occurred between some transmigrant and indigenous populations. In the 1999 Sambas riots Muslim Malays and Animist Dayaks joined together to massacre thousands of the Muslim Madurese migrants. In Kalimantan, thousands were killed in 2001 fighting between Madurese transmigrants and the Dayak people in the Sampit conflict.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The People of Borneo:

The Iban people – or the Dayak people, are the native people of Borneo, mainly located in the Sarawak, Brunai and in the West Kalimantan, region of Indonesian.
    - This is the people I have portrayed in my entry. The culture is very different from our western society so there is a lot to write! But in order to keep you all awake I will try to keep it as short as possible.

Old drawing of the Dayak Iban people:

Dayak%20People.jpg

Photo of the people today:

picture2.jpg

The Iban Dayak people lives in the Borneo Rainforest, preferable around the rivers. Its traditional tribal people that lives of the rainforest, the rivers and cultivate rice that’s the base of their food. Although Ibans generally speak a dialect which is mutually intelligible, they can be divided into different branches which are named after the geographical areas where they reside.

In the past, the Dayak were feared for their ancient tradition of headhunting practices! Among the Iban Dayaks there where many reasons for headhunting like for a fertile soil, for territorial expansions, a pay dowry for marriage, as a symbol of power etc. But this practice is no longer a tradition and hasn’t been for since the late 1800 in the Kalimantan.
    The Ibans used to regard human skulls obtained during headhunting as their most prized possession. But is generally considered a democratic and peaceful people.

Kinship in Dayak society is traced in both lines of genealogy. Although, in Dayak Iban society, men and women possess equal rights in status and property ownership, political office has strictly been the occupation of the traditional Iban patriarch. There is a council of elders in each longhouse.

Girls in traditional Iban attire:

731170436.pic

Sim girl in traditional Iban attire:

Screenshot-3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The Longhouse:

The most important feature of Dayak social organisation is the practice of Longhouse domicile. This is a structure supported by hardwood posts that can be hundreds of metres long, usually located along a terraced river bank. At one side is a long communal platform, from which the individual households can be reached. The Iban longhouses vary in size, from those slightly over 100 metres in length to large settlements over 500 metres in length. Longhouses have a door and apartment for every family living in the longhouse. For example, a longhouse of 200 doors is equivalent to a settlement of 200 families.

Therefore I made a longhouse for this assignment. The longhouse is inspired by the various forms it can take, but always with the same base inside with a large common room and small individual family rooms. Today they can be made from modern materials, and there are different variations with outdoors building, outdoor spaces etc. The houses built by the different tribes and ethnic groups can differ from each other.

Here are a few different examples of The Dayak Iban longhouse:

LongHouseLong.jpg

4689762009_8d5a837f58_z.jpg

dayak%20longhouse.jpg

reid_upriver_450.jpg

My version of a tradition longhouse of Borneo:

Screenshot-6.jpg

Screenshot-8.jpg

The layout of a traditional longhouse could be described like this:

A wall runs along the length of the building approximately down the longitudinal axis of the building. The space along one side of the wall serves as a corridor running the length of the building while the other side is blocked from public view by the wall and serves as private areas.

Screenshot-129.jpg

Inside the long common room:

Screenshot-93.jpg

Screenshot-68.jpg

Inside a real longhouse:

traditional-long-house4.jpg

Its important to know that traditionally the culture is sitting, sleeping, eating, working on the floor. Therefore the home is filled with mats for sleeping and sitting and everything. The culture is pretty basic in terms of furnitures etc. But I placed a bench as i wanted the place to be living-able for sims. They have basic needs for sims like a fridge, toilets, bath, but no stove, only fireplaces, grill and wood oven. And the lights installed are few and fire based, so it intentionally don't need any electricity, to make it as authentic as possible.

Small room with toilets and simple outdoor bath:

Screenshot-100.jpg

Behind this wall in the middle of the building lay the private units, bilik, each with a single door for each family. These are separated from each other by walls of their own and contain the living and sleeping spaces for each family. The kitchens, dapor, may be situated within this private space but are quite often situated in rooms of their own, added to the back of a bilik or even in a building standing a little away from the longhouse and accessed by a small bridge. This separation prevents cooking fires from spreading to the living spaces, should they spread out of control, as well as reducing smoke and insects attracted to cooking from gathering in living quarters.

This is a pictures of the private family room, they are all individually decorated, bur all with space for sleeping and a space for coking:

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-fjQafiisFgc/U4kqsD5o8SI/AAAAAAAAGGE/tlO5ILjKVOA/s720/Screenshot-47.jpg[/img]

Screenshot-67.jpg

- I placed the crib in there so its possible for kids to sleep.

Inside a real private room in a longhouse, but from the opposite view:

lit372717.jpg

In order to make a safer environment as described above i also made a separate outdoor kitchen:

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-shm2IKOiquc/U4kqArU6qPI/AAAAAAAAGCA/DhksPEfnjQM/s720/Screenshot-124.jpg[/img]

The corridor itself is divided into three parts. The space in front of the door, the tempuan, belongs to each bilik unit and is used privately. This is where rice can be pounded or other domestic work can be done. A public corridor, a ruai, runs the length of the building in this open space. Along the outer wall is the space where guests can sleep, the pantai. On this side a large veranda, a tanju, is built in front of the building where the rice (padi) is dried and other outdoor activities can take place. The sadau, a sort of attic, runs along under the peak of the roof and serves as storage. Sometimes the sadau has a sort of gallery from which the life in the ruai can be observed. The pigs and chicken live underneath the house between the stilts.
    (if you have the chickens i recommend placing them between the stilts under the house)

Screenshot-72.jpg

Screenshot-71.jpg

Outdoor terrace:

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-fwBNbSP4G-M/U4krEyF1AoI/AAAAAAAAGIY/7T0eXA5_ahM/s720/Screenshot-69.jpg[/img]

The longhouse:

Screenshot-123.jpg

Download: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8237175

• Options
    edited May 2014
    A few more cultural traditions of the Dayak Iban people:

The Ibans traditionally lives in harmony wiht nature and produce things from natural materials, they are weawing different types of mats, mats with motives, baskets, robes, nets, hats etc. made from rattan and the lokal tekalong bark.

They also have an old tradition for tattoos. There are motives for each part of the human body. The purpose is to protect the tattoo bearers or to signify certain events in their life. Some Ibans call this art of tattoing kalingai.

There is a tradition for music and dancing. The Ibans perform a unique traditional dance called the ngajat, "kajat" or "ajat". The word kajat or ajat originates from the word "engkajat" which means; "jumping on the spot". The Ibans perform the many kinds of dances accompanied by the music of gongs and drums. There are 4 different categories for the dances: Showmanship dance, Ritual dance, Comedial dance (like the monkey dance), and Self-defence dance.

- The dancers are wearing beautiful traditional clothing to accompany the dance and I tried to recreate it with my family, but due to major and reoccurring crash in CAS it was impossible to make the adults in to similar clothing. The only ones that I have been able to change clothes on are the kids, accordingly to the traditional clothes (as close as possible). The adults are wearing completely random clothes from CAS. But i will show you my Iban family and some real Iban people in some of the traditional clothes.

Traditional Iban dancers:

borneo-sarawak-iban-ngajat.jpg

The sims edition of kids in traditional Iban clothes:

Screenshot-83.jpg

Traditional Iban music instruments and clothing inside a longhouse:

longhouse.jpg

The sim edition of the Iban family (please disregard the adults clothing as i could not change it due to continuing crashing):

Screenshot-109.jpg

rungus.jpg

Screenshot-5.jpg

And finally a goodbye and thanks for watching with a picture of one of the most fascinating inhabiters of Borneo:

emin-and-first-born-crop.jpg

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,776 Member
    edited May 2014
    Your Borneo report, build and sims are great! Stinalina :) It was interesting reading the details about Borneo in the first parts of your report. The sim girl that you have created for the entry is nice. It looks very nice the traditional clothes that she is wearing. Nice colours and patterns of the outfit which reflect well what the real life Borneo girls are wearing in the picture. The outdoors background setting of the totem poles and her standing on the deck looks great. It was so very interesting to read about the Dayak Iban Longhouses, see the real life pictures of them and then see your simversion of a longhouse! Your build is great! :) Very nice exterior of the longhouse! You have reflected the design of it so very well! It looks great the type of plants and trees that you have used in your build, and it looks great how you have placed them in the outdoors areas. The decks look great! It looks great how you have done the water. It was great to read about the layout of a longhouse. Great furnishing of the long common area to reflect the traditional one.The floor mats and the wall decor items look great . It looks great how you have placed items alongside the bottom of the side wall, and have placed them with spaces inbetween. Your version of the long common room reflects the real life picture well. It was interesting to read about the culture and that it consists of sleeping, sitting and working on the floor, so you reflected that in the use of floor mats in the long common room. It looks great how you have furnished the private family unit., to reflect a traditional longhouse. The texture of the walls and floors looks great. It looks great that you have placed a firepit there. The outdoor kitchen looks great! Sims will like preparing meals in the woodstove oven. The fruit bowl sculpture items near the side of the deck look nice. It looks great how you have done the sadau roof level area! It looks great how you have placed the basket items there there, and that they reflect the way the area is used for storage . It is very interesting to read your descriptions of these types of houses, and then we learn at the same time more about life in Borneo and their culture. Your reflection of the real longhouses into the sims version is great! Great outdoors terrace area! Great recolouring of the washing line items. It looks great how you have used the totem poles pillars through the build and that the build is on stilts. Great layout of your version to reflect the layout of the real life longhouses. The textures that you have used for the walls looks great.
    Your Iban family of sims that you have posted in your last post are very nice! :) The traditional outfits that the children are wearing look nice. It looks nice how you have done the faces of each of the sims. Very nice family picture that you have taken of the sims. Great real life pictures that you have posted of Iban people too. It looks great that you have taken a picture of your child sim on the stairs, which resembles the same as the real life picture above it.
    The orang-utans picture is so very cute! :) It is a great way to finish your report! :)
  • Options
    walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    edited May 2014
    What a great report! I didn't know anything about Borneo and now I do :D your longhouse looks beautifully done and your clothes recolouring is perfect. Have a :thumbup:
  • Options
    AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
    edited May 2014
    Love your report !! Great work. Rec´d your lot :D
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hey Stinalina! WOW! I need this house too 8) Gonna be going on a download spree soon I think! The longhouse is beautiful, and so accurate. My sister wants to study zoology there when she's older so she loved this too! It's great how you've compared it all with reality in the pic's - really well done

I have a question... Can I get the people anywhere? More specifically: that colourful dress the little girl is wearing!! :D I love the recolour you've done and want to download it! It's beautiful :) Rec'd the longhouse too ~YJ~
  • Options
    saitouamysaitouamy Posts: 1,104 Member
    edited May 2014
    What a wonderful report! Iban Longhouse is beautifully done too :D Especially I love the long corridor, each decor gives realistic taste. Those foods & packages in the roof space looks great too. Left you a big rec!
  • Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,269 Member
    edited June 2014
    What an excellent representation you created of the longhouse Stinalina. Very well done :D
  • Options
    dawnrobdawnrob Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited June 2014
    Brilliantly done sweetie , loved your report , I have rec'd :D
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited June 2014
    A really beautiful, creative build and fascinating read! :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2014
    WOW! I see that you have done your research well! :D The house and the sim both looks so real! Well done! Recommended. Good luck with the contest. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,999 Member
    edited June 2014
    These are your pictures that did not show up for me:

Dayak%20People.jpg

731170436.pic

Screenshot-3.jpg

4689762009_8d5a837f58_z.jpg

Screenshot-6.jpg

Screenshot-8.jpg

Screenshot-68.jpg

Screenshot-67.jpg

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-shm2IKOiquc/U4kqArU6qPI/AAAAAAAAGCA/DhksPEfnjQM/s720/Screenshot-124.jpg[/img]

Screenshot-109.jpg

Screenshot-5.jpg

I was able to see by right clicking and selecting properties. Then, I copied and pasted that link into a separate window/tab.

Maybe you have an extra space between the url and the image code?

You did an awesome job portraying their way of life. I love all the pictures.

For your CAS crashing... maybe you have some sneaky cc causing problems?
    Try moving all your .dbc files from your dccache folder TEMPORARILY to the desktop. Then load your launcher and look at what is in there. It should show you any cc you might have as well as some store stuff that likes to install there from venues. Delete anything you do not want.

Then, put your .dbc files that you moved out back in.

Lastly, move out or delete the backup files in the dcbackup folder EXCEPT ccmerged. That will get rid of stuff you thought was deleted, but wasn't because it has a backup there.

This will help if it was some bad cc causing problems.

If that doesn't help it might be that you have too many saved patterns?
  • Options
    snowdove58snowdove58 Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited June 2014
    You did great!! I love the long house :mrgreen: Also your costumed sims are so cool. I was wondering what you would do about beds, Thank goodness EA gave us sleeping bags. I did not know anything about Borneo either. But I do now :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    edited June 2014
    This was simply great! I love how you did the build and your sims are a perfect fit! Great work.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thank you so very much for taking us on a trip to Borneo, kalimantan, Indonesia I found all the information fascinating on the long house. Already rec'd :mrgreen: