Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Opinion on the Graphics - Picture Heavy

Before TS4 was announced I always thought the graphics for the new game would look like this:

930.0x524.0.jpg

The-Sims-Medieval-The-Bright-Side-of-Life-Trailer_5.jpg

sonj.jpg

Maybe a little better. These graphics are better than TS3 in my opinion:

ts3_generations_bop_wedding_cutcake.jpg

Instead the graphics we get are similar to this:

930.0x524.0.jpg

930.0x524.0.jpg

Maybe if the graphics were like this, then the game would look better:

930.0x524.0.jpg

Even in The Sims Freeplay, the Sims have a realistic looking aspect to them. The Sims look more like the Sims in the original game:

rtaImage?eid=ka5E0000000D8s1&feoid=00NE0000000Kzix&refid=0EME0000000PI8T

The Sims 4 reminds me more of The Sims Social's art style or the art style for a console game:

bb.jpg

Sims-Social-Preview.jpg

sims4head1.jpg&w=600&h=300&ei=XJc8UoLVIqnmiAKO54CgBw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:55,s:0,i:261&iact=rc&page=2&tbnh=159&tbnw=318&start=29&ndsp=35&tx=130&ty=87

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT14FR5w-53Uds9Xode5fEawxTr2v6xw7ZGT4RBmd4jx-R8abuS5Q

characters.jpg

Even The Sims 2 was more realistic than The Sims in terms of graphic style. It seemed the franchise was heading in a more realistic direction for a minute:

sims-2-celebration-1.jpg

hotdate_790screen001.jpg

I guess in the end beauty is subjective.

Comments

• Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited September 2013
    I love TS3 Medieval graphics, I wish TS4 could be like that, only a bit more upgraded since it's the next generation of the franchise.

I didn't mind the graphics of TS4 though when it was revealed, didn't love it or hate it. But now when I see the picture you posted of free-play edit: when it comes to the furniture as the girl in cas looks nice to me), I seriously see the unfortunate resemblance. But I also heard it was in the works of becoming a online game, until that idea got the axe and they kept the "online looking"graphics.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2013
    TS Medieval really was a beautiful game. Such a shame that they never made more content for it. *sigh* :-( I've actually been thinking about playing it again since I'm waiting on a new gaming PC and TS3 has been a bit of a hassle to run lately. At least TSM is easier to run....

B0057VO40E.01.lg.jpg

Anyway, I really don't mind the look of the sims so much in TS4. I think they have very nice bone structure, if that makes sense. The overall look and shape of their faces is nice. I can understand that it's a different art style, but it's the world that I'm having difficulty with. It really does look like a slightly tweaked version of The Sims Social or something. Even the world in TS2 didn't strike me as so... flat. I don't know how else to put it. Anyhow. I've said all of this before, so I don't want to rant or be tiresome. At this point, all I can say is that I need to see more of what TS4 has to offer before I can make a decision on it. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy TS3 (and now that I've looked at those pics, probably TSM too. :-) )
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited September 2013
    Actually I feel TSM graphics should of been TS3 graphics. TSM was awesome and no pudding faces lol.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited September 2013
    There is an eerie resemblance between the Sims Social and The Sims 4, the cartoony look and all, it seems they just made it a 3D game...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2013
    Although, I did not finish Medieval, I did not mind the Sims compared to TS4 sims. Imagine what we could do if we had all the controls of TS4 CAS. I would even like TS3 sims more if we had the controls of TS4 CAS.
    Screenshot-74.jpg

Maybe because the hair looked like hair and not an extremely stylized blocky representation of hair.
    Screenshot-33.jpg

Screenshot-53.jpg

I like the sims, but still I would like to see better textures for the world. I just don't like blurry and smeary.
    Screenshot-2.jpg

TS4 does look like a spiritual successor to SimSocial.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited September 2013
    I'm not seeing the resemblance to Sims Social... quite a few people have said it, but I just don't see it.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited September 2013
    The art style looks inspired (I'm being kind)by Sims Social, though graphics are much better.

Sims 4 could still be neat, as long as they don't nix open town. Not going back to the single lots.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    UserSam7823UserSam7823 Posts: 404 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree with everything here. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Medieval too!
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:
    I'm not seeing the resemblance to Sims Social... quite a few people have said it, but I just don't see it.

It's hard for me to explain it, but I see it. And now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. :?

Sims Social
    summers_house_theme_1.jpg

Sims 4
    ts4_build_4_656x369.jpg?cb=1377213484

It's that matte, cartoon look, I guess. Whereas in TS3 and TSM you had things like fabric textures, wood grain, etc. I don't see that in TS4. The lack of those things reminds me of TS Social. Best way I can put it.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    lil_slglil_slg Posts: 1,010 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I understand where some of you are coming from with TS4 graphics, but maybe put a picture of TS4 beside TSM so that we can really compare? I never played TSM but I agree the graphics are PRETTY decent :-)

As for TS4 graphics, I don't believe it looks like the sims social, in fact i don't have a problem with the graphics so far, but we all have different views :)
  • Options
    AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited September 2013
    I love Sims Medieval! It looks stunning.

Not as sandboxy as I'd like though.
  • Options
    aditya2333aditya2333 Posts: 100 New Member
    edited September 2013
    According to me, TSM graphics look much much better than TS4 graphics.
    There is something very cartoony about the graphics of the sims 4, it looks almost like an updated version of the sims social :x

• Options
    DekrRiniDekrRini Posts: 416 Member
    edited September 2013
    I was hoping for TSM graphics as well. I went back to it a few weeks ago and enjoyed playing around there again. I do wish it had been more sandbox and less quest, but I love the medieval feel to the game. I was so disappointed to see EA didn't use the TSM graphics and went with something so much less appealing to me. Just can't get into the cartoony feel of the graphics. I know others love it, but it's not my style.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:

O.K. take a real good look at the pictures of the Sim Social game posted.

Do you see the word "inspired" on the right hand side above the UI..remind you of anything? even the font?

Do you see the oversized avatar of the Sim on the UI on the left bottom side? Does that ring a bell?

Do you see any familarity at all with the 'skin' icons? {Perhaps it is the childlike circles, or the childlike little boxes?

O.K> now move over to the picture showing the houses in the Sim Social. Do you see in the middle of the street..what looks like longated shurbs boxes, or flower boxes on the median? Do you see the grate next to them? Hm...remind you of any house in TS4 you have seen lately (outfront in the street?).

Do you see the shiny on the fridge? Hm...that looks familar, too..Do you see the overely saturated colors of the walls, funiture, and objects? Does that not speak something to you at all? O.K> how about 'what ccolors' are presented in the house pictures..deep purples, deep pinks, deep, deep reds...? Getting the picture?

No? then move over to the mirror on the wall in the SS bathroom..see the reflection? It is 'drawn'...no real reflection does it not say 'hello' to you?

Please don't take 'how I have said things' wrong..I'm just trying to get you to open your eyes.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    manii24manii24 Posts: 674 New Member
    edited September 2013
    Oh wow, The Sims Medieval graphics are lovely. I always heard people say they would have wanted TS4 to have similar graphics to TSM, but since I had never played it, I never knew what they were talking about. Though, I feel like those graphics could have been in TS3 better. I might even want to play TS3 more if it looked like TSM!

Now, I don't really have a problem with TS4 graphics, but I understand where people are coming from with their disappointment.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited September 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Although, I did not finish Medieval, I did not mind the Sims compared to TS4 sims. Imagine what we could do if we had all the controls of TS4 CAS. I would even like TS3 sims more if we had the controls of TS4 CAS.
    Screenshot-74.jpg

Maybe because the hair looked like hair and not an extremely stylized blocky representation of hair.
    Screenshot-33.jpg

Screenshot-53.jpg

I like the sims, but still I would like to see better textures for the world. I just don't like blurry and smeary.
    Screenshot-2.jpg

TS4 does look like a spiritual successor to SimSocial.

This >>>>> ten times :lol::lol:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:

It's hard for me to explain it, but I see it.

Yes Gabby, it's quite hard to explain. When the first time I saw the graphic in TS4, my gut told me "Oh that looks like Sims Social / Sims free play".

I just couldn't pint point where but I have always had that feeling whenever I see TS4 graphics.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I love Sims Medieval! It looks stunning.

Not as sandboxy as I'd like though.

Yeah, I played TSM too :). I uninstalled it from my computer after I run out of quests and get bored :P .
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited September 2013
    I have never played TSM but after seeing it side by side with TS4, I prefer Medieval's graphics over what TS4 revealed.

Thanks for the pictures, some of them was very nostalgic. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited September 2013
    This is weird for me , after seeing what EA can do with TSM, and what they did to TS4 , I do not want a childs game. There are enough games to satisfy children. What about the Adults that usually pay for the games?

I want a game that I can call my own , and I want it to look somewhat realistic. You can rant and rave over my answer if you want, but facts are facts.
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited September 2013
    I wonder why many hasn't said TSM looks better than TS3. Well, yeah, here it is.
    I personally like the way TSM looks, but i'm not too bummed by TS4 graphics anyway. I still play old games, for me, it is never about the graphics. It's just a plus for me. I wouldn't let myself miss the actual fun in playing a great game, if TS4 will be, just because of how it looks.
    I too was hoping that the objects would be more textured, I'm fine with the sims, but if they are not, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    PIXVIX20PIXVIX20 Posts: 245 Member
    edited September 2013
    Ah the facial detailing from the TSM makes me sad, would of loved that for the Sims 4, it was a huge step up from the Sims 3 and so pretty to look at (don't see the same when I look at the Sims 4). I wish they made that game more sandboxy then I wouldn't of needed any other game lol.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2013
    Well, I expect the graphics of TS4 could look like TSM, if you want to drop the open neighbourhood.
    raw
  • Options
    Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited September 2013
    I agree.
    The furniture in The Sims 4 definitely looks like the Sims Social...extremely blocky, and box like or whatever the word is.

I didn't want super realistic but The Sims themelves and the atmosphere is too chilish looking, in my opinion.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    Evil_One wrote:
    Well, I expect the graphics of TS4 could look like TSM, if you want to drop the open neighbourhood.

The TSM map is an open neighborhood. But much, much smaller as in how many homes/hero buildings are in the world. People come and go, interact, and walk around everywhere. I don't think they are merely 'agents' as in SC, because they do form relationships (those you can't play) etc. The 'townies' go off world at a certain time of night..when you mouse over them it says they are going home. But, yeah in one sense TSM's map is very much 'open'. And the background drop and the map seems to be just as big as one from TS3..small towns.

The NPC/Townies in that game do basically everything you see the TSM NPC do..but once you marry one you don't have control over them or your children..

So, when I heard TS4 was in the making I half expected them to expand on the wonderful graphics and 'style' of TSM..use a smaller world map and it still remain open like TSM's world which isn't too hard to get around...it takes just as long to walk across the entire map as it does or maybe longer (no cars and horses) than in TS3, but then they went a totally different direction for what seems to me no matter how much someone tells me this game is in prealpha was meant for a FB game etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.