Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Opinion on the Graphics - Picture Heavy

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2013
    acee313 wrote:
    I wonder why many hasn't said TSM looks better than TS3. Well, yeah, here it is.
    I personally like the way TSM looks, but i'm not too bummed by TS4 graphics anyway. I still play old games, for me, it is never about the graphics. It's just a plus for me. I wouldn't let myself miss the actual fun in playing a great game, if TS4 will be, just because of how it looks.
    I too was hoping that the objects would be more textured, I'm fine with the sims, but if they are not, it doesn't matter.

I don't mean to disagree with you about the graphics or the art style of a game but I disagree. TSM, yes, looks way better than TS3 ever will. You just have to play it on a really good machine to see the difference. It's huge. Maybe some don't like it's style, either..I guess..but when I compare my TSM Sim to TS3's Sim we had more sliders from the beginning, so no more pancake faces/pudding faces etc.

Just to make a point, imagine TSM in the art style of TS4..it wouldn't have worked..the overly saturated 'barbie like' colors, the blurred vision of houses etc..which someone keeps saying looks like Disney..to me looks like a film over everything outside...so, sorry...the art style and the graphics are the 'first' thing we see..and like when we first meet someone we are attracted to..it isn't because they were 'nice'..it is because they are 'good looking' to our personal taste, something grabs our attention....and like the old joke when someone ask are they good looking when you try to fix someone up with someone else..people don't answer but only say 'she's nice'... :?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited September 2013
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    I'm not seeing the resemblance to Sims Social... quite a few people have said it, but I just don't see it.

It's hard for me to explain it, but I see it. And now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. :?

Sims Social
    summers_house_theme_1.jpg

Sims 4
    ts4_build_4_656x369.jpg?cb=1377213484

It's that matte, cartoon look, I guess. Whereas in TS3 and TSM you had things like fabric textures, wood grain, etc. I don't see that in TS4. The lack of those things reminds me of TS Social. Best way I can put it.

WHY! Lol I was one of the people who never saw the resemblance but now I DO see it! TS4... WHY!!?
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2013
    Sadly, I see the resemblance between Sims Social and Sims 4 too.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited September 2013
    Evil_One wrote:
    Well, I expect the graphics of TS4 could look like TSM, if you want to drop the open neighbourhood.

You'd get a lot better graphics than TSM if you dropped open neighborhood.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    acee313 wrote:
    I wonder why many hasn't said TSM looks better than TS3. Well, yeah, here it is.
    I personally like the way TSM looks, but i'm not too bummed by TS4 graphics anyway. I still play old games, for me, it is never about the graphics. It's just a plus for me. I wouldn't let myself miss the actual fun in playing a great game, if TS4 will be, just because of how it looks.
    I too was hoping that the objects would be more textured, I'm fine with the sims, but if they are not, it doesn't matter.

I don't mean to disagree with you about the graphics or the art style of a game but I disagree. TSM, yes, looks way better than TS3 ever will. You just have to play it on a really good machine to see the difference. It's huge. Maybe some don't like it's style, either..I guess..but when I compare my TSM Sim to TS3's Sim we had more sliders from the beginning, so no more pancake faces/pudding faces etc.

Just to make a point, imagine TSM in the art style of TS4..it wouldn't have worked..the overly saturated 'barbie like' colors, the blurred vision of houses etc..which someone keeps saying looks like Disney..to me looks like a film over everything outside...so, sorry...the art style and the graphics are the 'first' thing we see..and like when we first meet someone we are attracted to..it isn't because they were 'nice'..it is because they are 'good looking' to our personal taste, something grabs our attention....and like the old joke when someone ask are they good looking when you try to fix someone up with someone else..people don't answer but only say 'she's nice'... :?

Well, actually, when I first saw TS4 graphics, I said I don't like it. But it didn't kept me from wanting to know more about the game. Which, in case of people, we might actually stop caring about someone that doesn't fit our standards.
    Well, yes, I do agree that graphics are the first thing we see, but in case of games, we can actually know more about a game, it's contents and all before we can commit or invest anything to it. Unlike on people, we actually have to invest first before knowing much of them.
    The info released actually attracted me most to the game.
    I want to see how better information about the game could either persuade or dissuade to buy the game.

For me, not buying a game because of aesthetics is a bit too shallow as games are all about gameplay.

And besides, in the context of your reply, graphics should only matter during the introduction/reveal of a game, graphics are just eye-catcher. But apparently, for you, or for everyone here, we are already aware of the game, it has already grabbed our attention and thus graphics shouldn't matter as we are already wanting to know more about the game, admit it or not.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited September 2013
    acee313 wrote:
    Actually I feel TSM graphics should of been TS3 graphics. TSM was awesome and no pudding faces lol.

I did lol :lol:
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited September 2013
    Well the hair looks like it's from TS1! :lol::lol:

TS1:

simsdomination-dload-778.jpg?w=640&h=480

TS4:

sf-ts4-createasim-hair-03-640x360.jpg

They didn't just step backwards, they fell into the ocean :lol:
  • Options
    JenZ4HeavenZJenZ4HeavenZ Posts: 631 Member
    edited September 2013
    I dunno .. I have played since the original sims and I liked all the styles kind of.. but the first sims I didn't care too much about and ended up customizing the characters and clothing through a 3D program to fit my fancy.. It was quite easy to customize back then xD.. I dislike extreme realism.. I was also informed that they made it the way they did because it would then be more widly available to play on more machines.. when things get cartoony they usually rely less on the graphics cards... If they made it super realistic then the game would only be able to be played by people with mid to high end video cards.. to which from what I have noticed about people complaining about the sims 3 being a resource hog.. a lot of ppl do not want a graphic heavy game.. Be sides I do not want my Sims looking TOO realistic.. The thing about the sims that I have liked was that there was always a way to customize it.. and with enough fiddling you can get your sims to look as real or toony as you like.. you may have to find someone to make you come custom textures for you or make them your self but there is usually always a way to make the sims fit your style.. I have seen people make extremely realistic characters in the sims 3 and sims 2 with some customizing..

The only thing I really dislike is the hair.. it looks like clay to me and EA really does need a better texture artist.. i mean really really.. I can make better hair textures than what they got goin on there and I am not even a professional.. but then they have always kind of lacked in the hair and clothing department.. I can already see what I want to re-texture.. Eyes, hair, and possibly the skin because it is too flat.. I like toony... but I do not like claymation appearances.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited September 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Evil_One wrote:
    Well, I expect the graphics of TS4 could look like TSM, if you want to drop the open neighbourhood.

The TSM map is an open neighborhood. But much, much smaller as in how many homes/hero buildings are in the world. People come and go, interact, and walk around everywhere. I don't think they are merely 'agents' as in SC, because they do form relationships (those you can't play) etc. The 'townies' go off world at a certain time of night..when you mouse over them it says they are going home. But, yeah in one sense TSM's map is very much 'open'. And the background drop and the map seems to be just as big as one from TS3..small towns.

The NPC/Townies in that game do basically everything you see the TSM NPC do..but once you marry one you don't have control over them or your children..

So, when I heard TS4 was in the making I half expected them to expand on the wonderful graphics and 'style' of TSM..use a smaller world map and it still remain open like TSM's world which isn't too hard to get around...it takes just as long to walk across the entire map as it does or maybe longer (no cars and horses) than in TS3, but then they went a totally different direction for what seems to me no matter how much someone tells me this game is in prealpha was meant for a FB game etc.

But TSM is also a static world IE you can't build anything but pre-determined buildings, that combined with the massively reduced town-size and the reduced personality traits is what gave them the available system resources to up the graphics, while still maintaining stability and speed.
    Evil_One wrote:

Probably, but at this point I doubt they'd be stupid enough to drop it.
    raw
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2013

Probably, but at this point I doubt they'd be stupid enough to drop it.

I would settle for small districts of a dozen buildings or so if I could get Create-a-style, less blocky sims, and better textures in the deal.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited January 2014
    I think part of the reason that ts4 looks so Sims Social-y is the colors being very vivid and contrasted. Look at that bright green grass, the Crayola crayon colored tree trunks, flowes, bushes, columns, sky, siding on the house... If we had CASt, we could make the colors dingier which would add realism; but, well, we don't so we can't.
    Picture from the sims website:
    [removed]
    *edit* Sorry, I don't know how to resize the picture. I thought the forum resized pictures automatically. :?
    *edit 2* Ok, whatever I just tried seemed to work.
    *edit 3* Well, I just messed up whatever I had working by adding that second edit. *headdesk* :x
    *edit 4* I need to stop editing this :lol: .
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    StarunaStaruna Posts: 417 New Member
    edited September 2013
    100% agreed, OP!

Sims Medieval is such an old game. There is NO excuse for TS4 graphics looking even more outdated than Sims Medieval. The sims should at least look as good as they did in that game.

Every time I see a new screenshot with the furniture looking like a sticker like sims social, the less and less I want to bother even trying the game.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2013
    I think part of the reason that ts4 looks so Sims Social-y is the colors being very vivid and contrasted. Look at that bright green grass, the Crayola crayon colored tree trunks, flowes, bushes, columns, sky, siding on the house... If we had CASt, we could make the colors dingier which would add realism; but, well, we don't so we can't.

You can adjust the settings on your card to desaturated the graphics. I am not sure if you can assign the color settings just for a particular game in the card settings. I have other settings adjusted just for The Sims 3.

Earlier I gave TS4 a look with the bright colors. It looks a little more realistic. The trees and grass don't bother me as much.

5963534f-f0f1-4e18-a3f9-6a393f4100b5_zpse8a1922d.jpg

desat.jpg

I'm still not crazy about the trees, especially the smeared looking textures on the trunks..
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited September 2013
    Picture from the sims website:
    TS4.010.BUILD_.STREET2.jpg
    *edit* Sorry, I don't know how to resize the picture. I thought the forum resized pictures automatically. :?

*edit 2* Ok, whatever I just tried seemed to work.

*edit 3* Well, I just messed up whatever I had working by adding that second edit. *headdesk* :x

*edit 4* I need to stop editing this :lol: .

Glad you left the image bigger because we can see clearly the contrast to this Sims 3 pic
    vdj1gh.jpg

And here is more contrast
    Sims 3 head shot

2c0ivo.jpg

Sims 4 head shot

2dug0n.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    CK213 wrote:

You can adjust the settings on your card to desaturated the graphics. I am not sure if you can assign the color settings just for a particular game in the card settings. I have other settings adjusted just for The Sims 3.

Earlier I gave TS4 a look with the bright colors. It looks a little more realistic. The trees and grass don't bother me as much.

I'm still not crazy about the trees, especially the smeared looking textures on the trunks..
    Yes, it definitely is more than just the colors that give it that cartoony look, but I think the colors definitely are a contributing factor.

That is an interesting comparison. I think that CASt would do a little better than just desaturating the colors, since each color can be tweaked to just the desired shade. But overall desaturation does make it look slightly more realistic.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Here is more contrast:
    (Resized the images because they were too large - causing detail to be cut out)

Sims 4 Bedroom/Furniture

2z5lpx3.jpg

Sims 3 Bedroom/Furniture

23vnu55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    faytheful wrote:
    Here is more contrast:

Sims 4 Bedroom/Furniture

2z5lpx3.jpg
    This picture shows it best. I really wonder if they cartoonized that picture just for the magazine, or if the game will really look like that.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    faytheful wrote:
    Here is more contrast:

Sims 4 Bedroom/Furniture

2z5lpx3.jpg
    This picture shows it best. I really wonder if they cartoonized that picture just for the magazine, or if the game will really look like that.

Hope they just cartoonized it for the magazine :) seriously
  • Options
    Solstice401Solstice401 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited September 2013
    sam123 wrote:
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    I'm not seeing the resemblance to Sims Social... quite a few people have said it, but I just don't see it.

It's hard for me to explain it, but I see it. And now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. :?

Sims Social

Sims 4

It's that matte, cartoon look, I guess. Whereas in TS3 and TSM you had things like fabric textures, wood grain, etc. I don't see that in TS4. The lack of those things reminds me of TS Social. Best way I can put it.

WHY! Lol I was one of the people who never saw the resemblance but now I DO see it! TS4... WHY!!?

Oh man! I just can't get over the fact that looks exactly like The Sims Social.. :(
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    edited September 2013
    I dunno .. I have played since the original sims and I liked all the styles kind of.. but the first sims I didn't care too much about and ended up customizing the characters and clothing through a 3D program to fit my fancy.. It was quite easy to customize back then xD.. I dislike extreme realism.. I was also informed that they made it the way they did because it would then be more widly available to play on more machines.. when things get cartoony they usually rely less on the graphics cards... If they made it super realistic then the game would only be able to be played by people with mid to high end video cards.. to which from what I have noticed about people complaining about the sims 3 being a resource hog.. a lot of ppl do not want a graphic heavy game.. Be sides I do not want my Sims looking TOO realistic.. The thing about the sims that I have liked was that there was always a way to customize it.. and with enough fiddling you can get your sims to look as real or toony as you like.. you may have to find someone to make you come custom textures for you or make them your self but there is usually always a way to make the sims fit your style.. I have seen people make extremely realistic characters in the sims 3 and sims 2 with some customizing..

The only thing I really dislike is the hair.. it looks like clay to me and EA really does need a better texture artist.. i mean really really.. I can make better hair textures than what they got goin on there and I am not even a professional.. but then they have always kind of lacked in the hair and clothing department.. I can already see what I want to re-texture.. Eyes, hair, and possibly the skin because it is too flat.. I like toony... but I do not like claymation appearances.

Any of my artists can do whatever kind of hair YOU would like, if they disregarded the enforced art style, performance, texture budgets, shader limitations, draw calls, clipping etc. They do what is being asked of them, and they are awesome. Btw, we always need good artist, so feel free to send us your portfolio for consideration.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    edited September 2013
    faytheful wrote:
    Here is more contrast:

Sims 4 Bedroom/Furniture

2z5lpx3.jpg

Sims 3 Bedroom/Furniture

23vnu55.jpg

Uhm, the first picture is a 2d concept image while the 2nd is an actual in game screenshot...
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I hope the artists aren't taking anything we say personally. We understand someone else chose the art style. We understand (a little ) that it is what it is, and was in pre-alpha. What we don't understand is how it reminds of us a FB game because of the shader limits, the texture budget, the enforced art style, and the performance to meet lowend pcs or other gadgets.

I hope SimGuruMeatball, none take it personally, because as much as we love the Sim series we weren't expecting it to favor Sim Social so much. If we had loved that game, we would all be playing it. And yes, I see things in TS4 that absolutely remind me the SS, right down to the layout or font or words on the UI (which I understand isn't finished either).

It really is nothing personal...and I am sure no one here thinks the artists or anyone else working in the game can't make the most realistic Sim ever, or make it to where it 'doesn't' make us think FB game...and yes, we all understand it is the 'style' but what stumps us is why they wanted to make it like a SS game.

It's up to us to like it..and if we can't get our heads around the UI, the restrictions on the ingame look, or gameplay, or the loss of certain features inorder to play 'this style' well, we certainly understand it isn't because of the artists but because of the style and direction of the game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    HannoieHannoie Posts: 752 Member
    edited September 2013
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Sims Social

Sims 4

No... The Sims Social looks lame, boring and simple here. The Sims 4 looks pretty awesome.

The only similarity I can see is the camera angle.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hannoie wrote:
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    Sims Social

Sims 4

No... The Sims Social looks lame, boring and simple here. The Sims 4 looks pretty awesome.

The only similarity I can see is the camera angle.

:wink: It's like looking at one of those puzzles where you note the differences or the similarities and circle each one with your mouse because they are easier to spot when side by side. I like those little games. :wink: Can you not find more similarties in those two pictures or in the UI that was posted a few pages back? It doesn't have to be 'exact' window shape for window shape etc..or same chair etc..but the 'influnece' of each thing in the scene..just for fun...see if you can come up with more than ten. :wink:
  • Options
    acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited September 2013
    I don't see any similarities either.
    What I see is that people, who dislike the graphics, trying to convince others that the graphics are indeed ugly. It's like finding a dark spot on a black paper. Well, at least to me.
    The shrubs are too blocky, as in blocky. The door doesn't look the same, nor even feel the same.
    It's like comparing a CRT TV to an LED TV. Physically, though, not feature wise.