Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Most Important Thing for Sims 4

There are many threads here listing features people want in Sims 4. There are lots of great ideas. I too would like a lot of the things people have listed.

But the most important thing to me is to have a game that works. Without all the bugs, glitches and lagginess that have - for me - made Sims 3 totally unappealing to play. Sims 3 has lots of great features. When they work. I have a very good computer, more than up to dealing with this game. But every new game I start becomes laggy, glitchy and buggy within a few days. Some of the towns are completely unplayable because of that. I believe in keeping my game patched up, but I dread new patches because they almost always break something in the game.

I'm a dedicated Sims player. I loved Original Sims and Sims 2. Sims 3 has almost destroyed my interest in this game. Please, please, EA, give us a game that works! Don't bring in new features that will break existing things in the game. Make sure your patches aren't just going to make things worse. And don't release new EPs until you know they are working properly.

Comments

• Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited July 2013
    Schips wrote:
    There are many threads here listing features people want in Sims 4. There are lots of great ideas. I too would like a lot of the things people have listed.

But the most important thing to me is to have a game that works. Without all the bugs, glitches and lagginess that have - for me - made Sims 3 totally unappealing to play. Sims 3 has lots of great features. When they work. I have a very good computer, more than up to dealing with this game. But every new game I start becomes laggy, glitchy and buggy within a few days. Some of the towns are completely unplayable because of that. I believe in keeping my game patched up, but I dread new patches because they almost always break something in the game.

I'm a dedicated Sims player. I loved Original Sims and Sims 2. Sims 3 has almost destroyed my interest in this game. Please, please, EA, give us a game that works! Don't bring in new features that will break existing things in the game. Make sure your patches aren't just going to make things worse. And don't release new EPs until you know they are working properly.[

I think that the problem with the game messing up is when people are not running the game on the required system requirements. on the back of the box it only tells you the lowest requirments that the game will play, might not be playable but it will play. so when you read system requirments you might want to double or even triple what the box tells you, because its very misleading they want everyone to buy the game so they keep the requirments low on the box but that don't mean crap just double it
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited July 2013
    I think that the problem with the game messing up is when people are not running the game on the required system requirements. on the back of the box it only tells you the lowest requirments that the game will play, might not be playable but it will play. so when you read system requirments you might want to double or even triple what the box tells you, because its very misleading they want everyone to buy the game so they keep the requirments low on the box but that don't mean crap just double it

That is not the case at all. The Sims 3 was built on a very unstable engine. My computer overshoots the requirements on TS3 by a mile and it's still the buggiest, most horribly put-together game I've ever encountered.
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited July 2013
    Icarus wrote:

That is not the case at all. The Sims 3 was built on a very unstable engine. My computer overshoots the requirements on TS3 by a mile and it's still the buggiest, most horribly put-together game I've ever encountered.
    I am sure that is true but a game designer told me years ago not to pay any attention to system requirments because they are only telling you what will play the game. and to always try to accede that... I never had problems playing the sims 1 2 or 3 until I added cc content to the game then it went nuts on me
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited July 2013
    Icarus wrote:

I have to say that you are right. For me, it's only in WA in china. It's nearly unplayable there even when I turn the settings to low. I'm just hoping ts4 is 64 bit.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2013
    The most important downfall in TS3 is the AI. That would include how long it takes a Sim to get from point A to B. How long it takes a Sim to change clothes..how long it takes a Sim to 'get smart' and walk around the other Sim. How long it takes for the Sim to be able to get close enough to the other Sim before they can start talking etc.

The AI is horrible in this game. Someday I will post a Sim trying to get close enough to another Sim to greet and still just standing there way too long before even trying ..and then not being able to get close enough..compared to how this worked in TS2.

Those little details just make you want to throw up your hands and bust the screen. How many of you swear under your breath..'move, already!' or what the 'heck' are you doing? Move!!...and then when they do...it's the back shuffle/two step to get close enough. It drives me insane.

Also, though TS2 had a little of this (Sim standing waiting/townie) they didn't stand half as long as the townie in the game just standing somewhere doing nothing. At least the TS2 Sim would snap out of it..in a 3 seconds or less when they arrived on a community lot and either do something and or go talk to someone. In TS3 the townie is still standing..tick tock, tick tock..until they decide to read or maybe if you are lucky use the object the lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have to say that you are right. For me, it's only in WA in china. It's nearly unplayable there even when I turn the settings to low. I'm just hoping ts4 is 64 bit.
    I am quite sure that it won't be. The reason is that it still has to work on 32 bit Windows running on 32 bit hardware.
  • Options
    Graceey_72Graceey_72 Posts: 678 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    The most important downfall in TS3 is the AI. That would include how long it takes a Sim to get from point A to B. How long it takes a Sim to change clothes..how long it takes a Sim to 'get smart' and walk around the other Sim. How long it takes for the Sim to be able to get close enough to the other Sim before they can start talking etc.

The AI is horrible in this game. Someday I will post a Sim trying to get close enough to another Sim to greet and still just standing there way too long before even trying ..and then not being able to get close enough..compared to how this worked in TS2.

Those little details just make you want to throw up your hands and bust the screen. How many of you swear under your breath..'move, already!' or what the 'heck' are you doing? Move!!...and then when they do...it's the back shuffle/two step to get close enough. It drives me insane.

Also, though TS2 had a little of this (Sim standing waiting/townie) they didn't stand half as long as the townie in the game just standing somewhere doing nothing. At least the TS2 Sim would snap out of it..in a 3 seconds or less when they arrived on a community lot and either do something and or go talk to someone. In TS3 the townie is still standing..tick tock, tick tock..until they decide to read or maybe if you are lucky use the object the lot.

I hate that too. It takes 10 sim mins for a sim to walk up the stairs and cancel their action.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

Yes, the fluidity of the actions from TS2 needs to return. In TS2, I give the Sims a command and immediately they go ahead and do it. I never understood why the ones in TS3 had to adjust themselves before doing anything.

I assume it's because of the horrible routing?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2013
    I assume it's because of the horrible routing?

I don't know..it's not for me to reason why...know that old saying? The only thing I should have to be concerned about in my game is what I want them to do next...and 'snap to it!'. :P
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited July 2013
    Erpe wrote:
    I am quite sure that it won't be. The reason is that it still has to work on 32 bit Windows running on 32 bit hardware.

It may be to much to ask for. What I'm wondering is how many people are still using 32 bit. Most people who purchased during the last 3 years should be running 64. I don't think I have even had 32 bit for sale during last two years. I know people don't want to upgrade but it would make a huge difference in gameplay.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited July 2013
    Erpe wrote:

It may be to much to ask for. What I'm wondering is how many people are still using 32 bit. Most people who purchased during the last 3 years should be running 64. I don't think I have even had 32 bit for sale during last two years. I know people don't want to upgrade but it would make a huge difference in gameplay.
    Even Windows 8 still is also sold as a 32 bit version to new 32 bit computers.

I don't think that EA will consider to make the Sims game 64 bit before Microsoft stops selling 32 bit Windows to new computers. (EA surely doesn't want to make the Sims game into a game for hardcore gamers only.)
  • Options
    cr7_lm10_rvp20cr7_lm10_rvp20 Posts: 8
    edited July 2013
    If The Sims 4 won't be 64 bit (and I bet it won't), it will be quite a disappointment for me, because the game features will be limited again. :x
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,322 Member
    edited July 2013
    The 1st and most important thing is the routing system. The Sims 2 routing system was 1000 times better than TS3.

The 2nd thing is a better male hair and clothing. It's not normal to be forced to download CC in order to get something good.
    Only Diesel Stuff and EP after Supernatural bring us something interesting.
  • Options
    SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    The most important thing for The Sims 4 is that is should be FUN!

The Sims 3 has never been that "Fun" like Sims 2 and Sims 1 was. I want the fun expressions and stuff back.

Sims 3 is like playing with emotionless robots. Sims 2 was like playing with a virtual human, so hopefully The Sims 4 will be more like Sims 2.
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,322 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:
    The most important thing for The Sims 4 is that is should be FUN!

The Sims 3 has never been that "Fun" like Sims 2 and Sims 1 was. I want the fun expressions and stuff back.

Sims 3 is like playing with emotionless robots. Sims 2 was like playing with a virtual human, so hopefully The Sims 4 will be more like Sims 2.

You should say : "Sims 3 is like managing an emotionless robots."

TS3 become a serious game like Starcraft 2.
  • Options
    cheapcheapbirdiecheapcheapbirdie Posts: 397 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

So true! I find myself yelling at my sims all the time. Just last night I got frustrated after putting about 500,000 simoleons worth of stuff to do into my new sim fam's house, then watching all of them stand around for a whole sim day till they had to eventually use the bathroom! I made the stay up all night trying out every single thing in the house, to vent my frustration, till they all were passing out! :twisted: :oops: :roll:
  • Options
    Alex2315Alex2315 Posts: 639 Member
    edited July 2013
    I agree with all of this, I don't see why the sims 3 wasn't 64bit but the sims 4 better be!
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited July 2013
    Alex2315 wrote:
    I agree with all of this, I don't see why the sims 3 wasn't 64bit but the sims 4 better be!

I hope it's 64-bit as well. They'd make a huge mistake if they code it as 32-bit again. 32-bit applications are way more limited.. and one of the reasons Sims 3 has some of the problems it does for some people (Sims standing around doing nothing, empty lots)is because the game can't utilize enough RAM to efficiently process everything in the open world. The earlier Sims games didn't have this issue because the game was only processing one lot at a time.

If they want to keep the open world AND have the game run smoothly and fluidly, it absolutely needs to be a 64-bit game. People who are buying a new PC expressly for the purpose of playing games should be purchasing a 64-bit OS as it is. It frustrates me when games are limited because they're trying to make sure that people with old computers can still play. Please, EA, no more of this "the game will run on your grandmother's computer" BS. ;P

I also hope they do the smart thing this time around and actually list system requirements that are enough to play the game. I see too many posts where people have game-stopping problems and then it turns out they're barely meeting requirements, and then they claim that since they meet the requirements on the box they should be able to play - which technically should be the case, but EA's listed requirements for TS3 are way too low.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    djacob16djacob16 Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2013
    Amen! lol. I totally agree with this post.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited July 2013
    TS3 is a good 5+ years old and was developed when Windows XP was the main operating system of choice. Was 32bit and 64bit even a thing back in the days of Windows XP?

The Sims 2 was developed for an even older operating system that again I'm certain pre-dates this 32bit and 64bit business and it was a fantastic game that holds up even by today standards. It ran smoothly for the most part, was widely accessible and had a lot of the little touches that are missing from the third game.

I think what happened was that a great deal of depth and performance was sacrificed in order to give us this open world. While the idea sounded fantastic it didn't work in practice and now we've had 5+ years of the developers effectively trying to work around what was always a flawed system from day one. I think for a while the game stagnated and we were stuck with this lousy, dull RPG-esque experience that no one had really asked for but lately? There has been an improvement but it is still based upon that initial flawed, broken system so the improvement can only go so far, it can't erase years of shallow gameplay brought about because the developers lack the foundations to build upon.

Ultimately The Sims is a 'casual' game and this means that it does need to be open to as many people as possible. I imagine a lot of people that play The Sims do not have top of the range gaming computers, if they have gaming computers at all. I'd personally be more than happy to take a downgrade / little improvement in graphics and lose the open world aspect all together if it meant we could have a deeper gaming experience - like we had with The Sims 2.

If TS2 could acomplish so much more on a lesser operating systems and on lesser computers then why couldn't TS3 build upon what had already been set up with the newer stuff that was becoming standard? Did EA hold the game back by developing it for the maximum amount of users or did an overly ambitious, poorly implemented idea go horribly wrong that simply cannot be fixed through a few coding tweaks introduced in expansions?

Even in the newest games out there at the moment that I know of there are still loading screens between open world elements. Even Skyrim has loading screens between the main explorable overworld and towns / caves etc. Part of this could be because most games are now developed for consoles and are ported over to computers but the demands of a totally open world are huge and I'd argue that not many computers today could handle it, never mind computers back when TS3 first came out.

• Options
    mattseemattsee Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2013
    Darkslayer wrote:
    I think what happened was that a great deal of depth and performance was sacrificed in order to give us this open world

I really enjoyed reading what you had to say and I agree with your theory; while the open world feature of ts3 seems refreshing at first it turned out to be a hollow experience compared to ts2,albeit with loading screens, and the lively and bustling community lots.

I suppose ts4 could balance this with less of such an open world (maybe a certain perimeter of land could be "open") so that more resources could be put into richer sim interactions.

I just hope there is more focus on content and less on the sprawling openness ts3 focused on.