Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TMP Files in DCCache - Gurus ?

Comments

• Options
    jonesyKSjonesyKS Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm sort of terrible at computer stuff, I've never had issues with my launcher until this last patch and now I can't start my game :(. How do you bypass the launcher?
    I tried to uninstall and reinstall everything (a HUGE pain!) and that worked for a few hours but now it's not working again... Ugh, patches!
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2013
    On my PC, it is the following path. Depending on your OS, yours might be slightly different.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

Right click on TS3W.exe and make a short cut which you can place on your desk top. Use that shortcut to launch the game, bypassing the Launcher.

If you download games from Origin, I believe this is the path - Thanks Eleanor!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited June 2013
    Oh fercryinoutloud......

Just tested this. My launcher now takes approximately five minutes to load. The game is very very sluggish when moving in edit town mode. I've had two separate crashes to reboot because of the strain on the pc.

My pc handles everything else with no problems. Whatever they did with this 1.55, in combination with my store content, has really messed with my game. It's not playable at the moment. :(

Edit: I'm playing the latest version of the base game that forces the Origin client before loading the launcher, despite being disc based. Why they're heaping crap on top of crap I have no idea *spits dummy*
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2013
    Interesting thread Crin I hope someone from EA does comment. The launcher is a shepherd for the devil... :evil:

Where you find the executable to bypass the launcher depends on the type of rig you have and how you install your game.
    I can only give the paths for PC as I don't use a Mac.

For CD\DVD installs.

32-bit
    C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

64-bit
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

For Origin Digital Download installs.

32-bit
    C:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe

64-bit
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    citytubecitytube Posts: 458 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for putting up this thread. I hope a guru will give some answers. This is one of those times when the fix is worse then the bite.

I am thinking of just stopping at University. 1.5 has problems, but at least I can build and play my game.

On Sims 2 I used a mac, and EA stopped producing the game for Apple at Bon Voyage. I still enjoyed Sims 2 for another 2 years, so I am thinking I can enjoy sims 3 for another 2 or 3 years, stopping right where I am at. If they fix the problems then I will load my per-ordered Island Paradise.
  • Options
    Trish1966Trish1966 Posts: 1,010 Member
    edited June 2013
    Question for anyone who can help ..... If I get rid of the .tmp files from my folder and bypass the launcher, the .tmp files won't be regenerated. I've got that part. If I open the launcher for any reason, such as downloading or uninstalling something that looked really nice, but ended up being as ugly as day old sin, will opening the launcher cause those .tmp files to repopulate just because I opened the launcher? Or do I actually have to launch the game through the launcher before they'll repopulate?

I swear, I have never had this much trouble with a patch before in my life!

Thanks!
  • Options
    jonesyKSjonesyKS Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks all! I bypassed the launcher and it works, it's really sluggish though. Hopefully a guru will see this and have a fix for us...
  • Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2013
    Trish1966 wrote:
    If I open the launcher for any reason, such as downloading or uninstalling something that looked really nice, but ended up being as ugly as day old sin, will opening the launcher cause those .tmp files to repopulate just because I opened the launcher?
    Yes, it does. I have had to install a couple little things and a lot I am team building. Using the Launcher regenerates the .tmp files.

I also uninstalled a world and it's the same thing - using the Launcher regenerated the .tmp files.

So, I delete the .tmp files again, and when I start my game, I avoid the Launcher at all costs. :roll:
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013
    MrHawk wrote:
    Oh fercryinoutloud......

Just tested this. My launcher now takes approximately five minutes to load. The game is very very sluggish when moving in edit town mode. I've had two separate crashes to reboot because of the strain on the pc.

My pc handles everything else with no problems. Whatever they did with this 1.55, in combination with my store content, has really messed with my game. It's not playable at the moment. :(

Edit: I'm playing the latest version of the base game that forces the Origin client before loading the launcher, despite being disc based. Why they're heaping crap on top of crap I have no idea *spits dummy*

Did deleting the tmp files help matters ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    OolonglongOolonglong Posts: 562 Member
    edited June 2013
    Crincit I noticed the tmp files when I installed the latest store venue by my launcher. I have bypassed the launcher for quite awhile by using the TSW3 exe. I deleted the temp files and continue to use the exe and have no notice of missing files. Just wanted to add another data point.

Edit: Wanted to add when I saw the new tmp files I started a clean folder and copied over the DCCache, Library and Installed Worlds folders and the ccmerge.package into the DCBackup folder. (I have a separate folder that I just use for store installs through the launcher). I deleted all the tmp files from the DCCache folder. Once I compied my save folder, I was able to play old saves without any problems.
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited June 2013
    OMG! They finally fixed it! But in the process created A New problem! Yeah EA!

I'm one of those who has been crying and complaining about the "installed stuff showing as Uninstalled in the Launcher, and then you install it again and it's in the game but shows as uninstalled in the Launcher again" issue for - it's been YEARS.

Yep it all shows as installed in the launcher now!

I have 10 (11 if you count the zero one) .ebc files. 5 thru 10 now have duplicate .temp.ebc files.

I played my game once since patch .55 . I did open the launcher (I open my launcher alot). But actually started the game through a shortcut icon.

The launcher has a bit of a delay opening, but it did before the patch also. The game has a bit of a delay (black screen) for about a minute and then starts up and loads fine as per usual.

My Total DCCache folder shows as "3.27 GB".

Thank you for this thread. It's the first clue I've had as to this!

I heard the purpose of the Evill Launcher is to spy on us. I wouldn't be surprised :roll:. :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zorba2357 wrote:

I heard the purpose of the Evill Launcher is to spy on us. I wouldn't be surprised :roll:. :lol:

Na, they have Origin for that ;)
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Valgon57Valgon57 Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    :lol::lol:
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited June 2013
    ok here are my launcher woes :(

After patching my launcher took too long to open so i pulled out the sims 3 doc folder and it loaded right up and test game ran fine.

i then tried to return my old dccache file to the new files and the launcher took around five minutes to open vs instantly opening. I was able to play the test game for a bit no problem.

When i went for a second time to open launcher with old dccache file rec'd an error and the launcher fully stopped working

with the old dccache files - ways i tried to fix old dccache files, removed tmp files, removed store files - neither worked

the only thing that is making my launcher function like it did before the patch is to reinstall directly from the store and third parties all of my CC.

i didnt try bypassing since reinstalling is working.

as for tmp files, when i first started to reinstall content i had no tmp files after installing around 1000 more files (i like CC :) ) tmp files started to generate. But so far the launcher and the game are not affected by this. Though im only about a third done with reinstalling my CC (see i really like CC :) )

ill update if anything changes, thanks crin for the thread!

• Options
    Tiger_Lover_78Tiger_Lover_78 Posts: 163 Member
    edited June 2013
    I tried making the shortcut for the TS3W.exe on my desktop but when I click on it, it still opens the launcher. So how it is supposed to bypass the launcher. I just can't seem to get it to work. Also how do I know which tmp files to delete and what folder? There wasn't much files in my DCCache folder and only 1 tmp file. Still takes forever to load though. So was going to try to bypass the launcer to see if it would help, but for some reason it still opens the launcher for me. Any help anyone?
    SD2011-ANGELINDISGUISE-F1-SHERA5-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    One more question can I move all my downloads out of my download folder to another location and still have them downloaded in my game. I have loads and loads, maybe that has something to do with slow problems I'm having?
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2013
    The launcher is a piece of garbage and should always be by-passed, using it only to install store stuff.
    Temp files will more than likely just add to game bloat by the looks of it.

I prefer CC in package files, because they're easier to combine, compress, and keep file sizes down. One bad piece doesn't infect your entire game, and a quick flick of the delete button, and it's gone with little issue.

Tiger_Lover, you can move all your downloads, they aren't necessary to the game to remain in the folder.
    crinrict wrote:
    zorba2357 wrote:

ROFL :lol:
    Amen to that.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    LorryLorry Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2013
    My issue isn't the Launcher. It loads quickly, although it does take longer to load the game. My problem is I cant save my game without getting a black screen, sometimes bringing up the task manager is near on impossible.......so no point in playing until this issue is fixed.
    I don't like to knock EA because they have given me something I absolutely love, but right now I just want to sssssscccccccrrrrrreammmmmmmmmmm :shock:

• Options
    seaglassseaglass Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I had tmp files appearing in my DCCache file as well. It didn't matter if I removed them, cleaned out cache files, whatever, they kept coming. I had 21 .dbc files. Bypassing the launcher did not work for me. When I would exit the game, they would show up again. Reinstalling store items removed .tmp files dbdb1-5.dbc.

I started a clean game and am adding in previous game files one at time. I started with World Cache and Saves. My copy of SV that I renamed and played shows up, but not Monte Vista, Sunlit Tides or Hidden Springs. Now I'm installing those worlds from inside the game. Then I'll start adding in other files from my previous game files.

So far no tmp files have shown up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I tried making the shortcut for the TS3W.exe on my desktop but when I click on it, it still opens the launcher. So how it is supposed to bypass the launcher. I just can't seem to get it to work. Also how do I know which tmp files to delete and what folder? There wasn't much files in my DCCache folder and only 1 tmp file. Still takes forever to load though. So was going to try to bypass the launcer to see if it would help, but for some reason it still opens the launcher for me. Any help anyone?

This is weird. What happens if you don't do a shortcut just yet and just double click on the file ? Make sure you don't use the Ts3Launcherw.exe (or something along these lines)

If you only have one tmp, that's all you need to delete but your problem mit be different.

Try deleting the file downloadedsims.index in savedSims.

You can move everything that is in downloads. Just don't delete or you will need to redownload when you need to reinstall. The stuff that shows ingame is all in the DCCache folder.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Lorry wrote:
    My issue isn't the Launcher. It loads quickly, although it does take longer to load the game. My problem is I cant save my game without getting a black screen, sometimes bringing up the task manager is near on impossible.......so no point in playing until this issue is fixed.
    I don't like to knock EA because they have given me something I absolutely love, but right now I just want to sssssscccccccrrrrrreammmmmmmmmmm :shock:

I'd say, post in the technical forum. Not sure your issue is related.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:

This is weird. What happens if you don't do a shortcut just yet and just double click on the file ? Make sure you don't use the Ts3Launcherw.exe (or something along these lines)

My guess is it'd be related to my issue. The re release of the game (the version in the new packaging that came out around the Seasons time) is compounded with Origin. The regular bypass link (to the file discussed) just opens Origin, which in turn forces the launcher to open. It's very irritating. Unless we have an older copy of the game we're stuck with the stupid launcher.

Also, sorry but haven't had time to check fully yet but it appears that deleting the tmp files didn't do much good for me. It still took an excruciatingly long time to load and then the launcher just repopulated the files.... all seventeen of them :(

I'm thinking it is best to uninstall and reinstall the original version, patch, then play by bypassing the launcher. For the moment, I'm staying away from this junk until I hear more from others.

Good luck everyone! :wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So you're saying on top of the fact that we can't get rid of Origin anymore you can't bypass the launcher either ?

Oh, Sims 4, you do sound less and less appealing. It will take a great game for me to get past my Origin-phobia

Did you re-buy that new version ? On disc or download ? Can you still install from disc or did they change that too ?
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited June 2013
    Crin As you know Ive been crabbing about this but I was told by one
    they installed the patch and had the slowwwwwwwwww problem so they installed the Super Patch and didnt anymore.

Does this sound ok to you and if so do you just isntall it over everything. Thanks

You know me I m not taking any chances LOL

Crin nix that idea they installed the new add on and got the black screen which I dont get I just get slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Pary wrote:
    The launcher is a piece of garbage and should always be by-passed, using it only to install store stuff.
    Temp files will more than likely just add to game bloat by the looks of it.

I prefer CC in package files, because they're easier to combine, compress, and keep file sizes down. One bad piece doesn't infect your entire game, and a quick flick of the delete button, and it's gone with little issue.

Tiger_Lover, you can move all your downloads, they aren't necessary to the game to remain in the folder.
    crinrict wrote:
    zorba2357 wrote:

ROFL :lol:
    Amen to that.

Thanks for that Pary I'll do that and see if it helps. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top