Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TMP Files in DCCache - Gurus ?

Comments

• Tiger_Lover_78Tiger_Lover_78 Posts: 163 Member
    edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    I tried making the shortcut for the TS3W.exe on my desktop but when I click on it, it still opens the launcher. So how it is supposed to bypass the launcher. I just can't seem to get it to work. Also how do I know which tmp files to delete and what folder? There wasn't much files in my DCCache folder and only 1 tmp file. Still takes forever to load though. So was going to try to bypass the launcer to see if it would help, but for some reason it still opens the launcher for me. Any help anyone?

This is weird. What happens if you don't do a shortcut just yet and just double click on the file ? Make sure you don't use the Ts3Launcherw.exe (or something along these lines)

If you only have one tmp, that's all you need to delete but your problem mit be different.

Try deleting the file downloadedsims.index in savedSims.

You can move everything that is in downloads. Just don't delete or you will need to redownload when you need to reinstall. The stuff that shows ingame is all in the DCCache folder.

Thanks Crin, will give that a try and see if that works. And will move all those downloads they sure make it hard to find out what's new and what's not. LOL

Edit: Oh well still opened the launcher guess I won't be fixing that part. But hopefully the other stuff will at least help it run better.
    SD2011-ANGELINDISGUISE-F1-SHERA5-1.jpg
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited June 2013
    A lot of people, including myself are having issues with failed to share error, when I try to send one of my lots to the launcher. Would this have anything to do with that? I have to turn off all my store content then go back in game and edit town and share before I can get it to the launcher... I have no custom content only store content so I know it's not CC....
  • MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited June 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    So you're saying on top of the fact that we can't get rid of Origin anymore you can't bypass the launcher either ?

Oh, Sims 4, you do sound less and less appealing. It will take a great game for me to get past my Origin-phobia

Did you re-buy that new version ? On disc or download ? Can you still install from disc or did they change that too ?

LOL! I heard that when you buy Sims 4 an EA employee takes a sample of your blood, does a psychological analysis and hypnotises you to allow them to microchip you. Your location data will then be used to make stuff pack deals with places you shop like garden implement stores, chemists, polling booths and perhaps even strip joints.

Yep, forced Origin and launcher. It's disc based still, unless you download the digital version through Origin (I would rather eat my own face).

I thought I found the newer version a little more stable since it seemed to have a lot of the scrapped coding from the original game taken out (like the pre-release HUD elements and clothing store data) but it looks like replacing the base game wasn't worth it. IF I could be bothered and have a spare hour I'll wind it back....unless EA's men in black turn up on the doorstep. ;)
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013
    Lol.

I'm calling it a night. Checking back tomorrow.

A guru promised me to ask around. Lets see if we get an answer.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited June 2013
    Add me to the list. I'm having the same problem with the tmp files. I had to reinstall all my store items and cc since the last patch as the game wouldn't load. I'm still in the process of doing this. I thought it was because I had too much cc (20G). o.o I've never had to reinstall content and it's taking forever. I should have just turned it all into package files (which is on my list of to-do's.. ha). Right now I'm just trying to get my favorite items back in the game for IP release tomorrow. I've been installing in batches and each time have to delete the tmp files before doing another batch, as the launcher would take forever to finally start up. I never use the launcher to launch the game, but highly annoying having to reinstall a ton of content! Bookmarking and hoping for a fix for this. Thank you so much Crin!! :)
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited June 2013
    MrHawk wrote:
    crinrict wrote:
    So you're saying on top of the fact that we can't get rid of Origin anymore you can't bypass the launcher either ?

Oh, Sims 4, you do sound less and less appealing. It will take a great game for me to get past my Origin-phobia

Did you re-buy that new version ? On disc or download ? Can you still install from disc or did they change that too ?

LOL! I heard that when you buy Sims 4 an EA employee takes a sample of your blood, does a psychological analysis and hypnotises you to allow them to microchip you. Your location data will then be used to make stuff pack deals with places you shop like garden implement stores, chemists, polling booths and perhaps even strip joints.

Yep, forced Origin and launcher. It's disc based still, unless you download the digital version through Origin (I would rather eat my own face).

I thought I found the newer version a little more stable since it seemed to have a lot of the scrapped coding from the original game taken out (like the pre-release HUD elements and clothing store data) but it looks like replacing the base game wasn't worth it. IF I could be bothered and have a spare hour I'll wind it back....unless EA's men in black turn up on the doorstep. ;)

LMAO despite myself. Please don't eat your face MrHawk :lol:
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited June 2013
    I just wanted to add something about starting the game from the .exe shortcut instead of the Launcher.

It works for me but I have to use the shortcut from the latest expansion pack installed. Someone else said they could use the base game .exe even if they have expansions installed. But I tried it and it did not work, I got an error message.

This is how I did it :

My computer/C/Program Files/ElectronicArts/The sims 3/ University/Game/Bin/TS3EP09

In this case University is the most current EP I have installed. That icon copied to my desktop starts the game without the Launcher. The base game .exe would not.

Edit: I DO have the most current patch, I don't have the island paradise EP installed yet, but I have it's patch.
  • okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited June 2013
    MrHawk wrote:
    crinrict wrote:

Since when I Origin forced? I don't think it opens up when I open the launcher or the game. But then again I just remembered that I sometimes get the 'can't connect to Origin' message when opening the launcher. But I figured this was to check for updates, Origin never appears to me :D
    Not sure if it matters but I only have one DD (from Supernatural) but since I have Uni installed I use this disc to play.
  • SimGuruKellySimGuruKelly Posts: 173
    edited June 2013
    Hi all, we are still investigating. Can those of you having the problem let me know how many GBs of Store AND 3rd party custom content you have installed?
  • okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi all, we are still investigating. Can those of you having the problem let me know how many GBs of Store AND 3rd party custom content you have installed?

I only have store stuff installed (no mods, cc or anything else) my DCCache file is 2,12 gb
    Hope that helps :D

Edit: without TMP files in there
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi SimGuruKelly. Thanks for responding. In my locked DBC file, I show 1979 KB (yes, that's KB) of content. My store files which number through 18 total 3.74 GB with the TMP files removed or 7.06 GB with the TMP files in place.

• darrqqrraddarrqqrrad Posts: 446 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hello :o) My DCCache folder without the TMP files is 3.53 GB.

With the TMP files it doubles.

Also .. as long as I do not use the Launcher .. they don't come back once I delete them.

Edit to add .. I have NO third party CC .. just Sims Store Stuff.
  • MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited June 2013
    okido1987 wrote:
    Since when I Origin forced? I don't think it opens up when I open the launcher or the game. But then again I just remembered that I sometimes get the 'can't connect to Origin' message when opening the launcher. But I figured this was to check for updates, Origin never appears to me :D
    Not sure if it matters but I only have one DD (from Supernatural) but since I have Uni installed I use this disc to play.

It's forced since the Nov 2012 re-release of the base game. I'm not talking about the 2009 original disc version or any other versions. It's the one with the white cover.

To Simguru Kelly: 4.33GB without TMP, 7.77 with TMP files. Minor recat mods but have of course removed and tested without. No core mods or CC at all.
  • sunrunnerjynxsunrunnerjynx Posts: 58 Member
    edited June 2013
    I may be asking a stupid question, but here goes. I noticed the DCBackup folder and it looks as though it has all the downloadable content already converted into .package files. Is there a way to copy them and paste into the mods/package folder to restore things?
  • webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm not finished re-installing custom content.. but I have 1 GB of ebc/store files and 5+ GB of custom/dbc as it stands right now. Of course that doubles with the .tmp files. I will have to say this has MADE me go thru and get rid of a lot of junk cc I no longer use. lol So not all a bad thing. ;)
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • jonesyKSjonesyKS Posts: 204 Member
    edited June 2013

I have no idea how to find that information out, I looked at the folder and it didn't say how big it is... Yes I really am that bad with computers :oops:.
    I own around 80% of the store I would say... All the venues, all the worlds except Lunar Lakes, and most of the sets...
    And I don't have any 3rd Party CC.

Thanks for checking into this issue!
  • smashbridges20smashbridges20 Posts: 7,397 Member
    edited June 2013

I have NO CC and 5.86 GB in my DCCache folder - this is just from the store. I may have an issue with willpower... that does *not* include the new tmp files
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013

Thanks for checking in. I've added that to the first post.

@okido1987: You need Origin if you bought the basegame later than when we had the 1.42 patch (can't remember when exactly that was)

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited June 2013

My DCCache is 7.49 GB all EA made, no third party cc
    (this includes the TMP files still)

oow785m
  • schattendiebschattendieb Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2013
    3.6 GB (without TMP) and only Store Content.
  • Trouble1122Trouble1122 Posts: 3,517 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have 3.29 GB of content in my downloads folder, almost all Store content except a couple of things from the exchange that were made and put up by SimGuru's.

My total DDCache folder is 3.73 GB with 1.77 GB as temp files.

I have a sims3 backup folder from before the last patch, and it has no temp files in the DDCache folder, which I haven't altered since making the backup, so the temp files are definitely new.
  • SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited June 2013

My DC cache in my updated game with all content I use installed reads 7.36GB (so half of that is tmp files)
    No mods or cc etc... installed, just store content & bonus items from preorders.

I got so hacked off with it, I started a clean folder which has only 4 items from the store - just 29mb of store content installed.
    That has no tmp file in the DC Cache even after playing a couple of times after using the launcher.
  • DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited June 2013
    Store content - ebc files = 3.11 GB

Custom content - dbc files = 200 MB

I only have .tmp files on the ebc files.
  • CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if my issue is related to this store patch or not. I have noticed my launcher seems poky and sometimes I have to force shut it down. I double checked after seeing this thread and so far I only have one .tmp file in my DCCache. My overall DCCache file is only 2.31 KBs at this moment. Many others here seem to be reporting a much larger file.

The one thing I did notice in-game is when I go into CAS now I have doubles of many "downloaded" items showing up. Many of them are Store content.... like clothing. I hadn't noticed that prior to the patch.

Anyway, not sure if my item is related to this patch concern discussed in this thread or an unrelated issue. BTW, I do have Overwatch and MasterController. No 3rd party content, only Store Content.

Edit: I checked and my Download Folder and it currently shows a size of 10.3 GB, that's all Store Content. :)
  • cajunspicecajunspice Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I have 17.6 GB in my DCCache folder (Store and custom content...I am a download-aholic but I have a super gaming laptop so I know my pc can handle it all :oops:)

I bypassed my launcher and used the TS3W shortcut and my game loaded fine! However my launcher will not load for me at all. If I try to launch by double clicking the Univ icon on my desktop it does nothing but if I open my DCCache folder I can see the tmp files slowly popping up for each dbc & ebc file I have. I have a total of 83 dbc files and I think it got up to 15 before I got an error message that the game could not load. Thought my stuff got corrupted from the patch but obviously it didn't if I can load it through the .exe file.

Thanks everyone who posted that quick fix,it worked for me. Otherwise I would have had to start reinstalling all my cc back in which would take awhile!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top