Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TMP Files in DCCache - Gurus ?

Comments

• Options
    hamburgerfayehamburgerfaye Posts: 431 Member
    edited June 2013
    I may be asking a stupid question, but here goes. I noticed the DCBackup folder and it looks as though it has all the downloadable content already converted into .package files. Is there a way to copy them and paste into the mods/package folder to restore things?

Whoa whoa whoa... this is not a stupid question and it one I am now quite curious to as well.

Since packages can be dragged a dropped, what would happen if we took the sims3pack files that the launcher converted into packages (that were stored in the dcbackup folder) and just drag/dropped them into our packages folder? Would they work? Can you bypass reinstalling everything through the launcher that way? Because my launcher let me reinstall all of 8 sims3packs before freezing and not responding each following time (about 50 times give or take I have tried.. several different packages and types of packages). If I could just drop these files into the folder in packages form, that would be so very helpful. Does anyone know if this would work?
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have 3.28 GB of ebc files. With the TMP files I have 6.01 GB. No custom content. Never used a mod.

Everytime I open my launcher I get a warning from my anti-virus program of high disk usage. Today it pulled up that the launcher had performed 120 actions when it opened. I rarely got this warning before the patch. Now I get it everytime.

I assume it's too busy spying to actually do the job it should do.
  • Options
    wootcannonwootcannon Posts: 170 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have 4.21 GB total with ( 9 TMP) files.
    I only use launcher for store bought items etc. No cc since IP install.
  • Options
    KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have a total of 3.7GB of Store Content only.. no CC..
  • Options
    okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if it's already known or if it even matters but I tried to remove the TMP files again and didn't notice my launcher was still active.
    It gave me an error that it couldn't be removed with the launcher being open, so it's definitely connected :D
  • Options
    SIMAddict211SIMAddict211 Posts: 134 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I deleted the tmp files and my games plays like it was before the 1.55 patch just don't play the game with the launcher just launch the game with tsw3.exe because they will regenerate so glad I bought my copy in 2009 before origin was mandated :lol:
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited June 2013
    I've got 6.63 gb in store and only 287 mb in package format.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for all the infos guys. Hopefully Store team finds a solution :)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited June 2013
    zorba2357 wrote:
    I just wanted to add something about starting the game from the .exe shortcut instead of the Launcher.

It works for me but I have to use the shortcut from the latest expansion pack installed. Someone else said they could use the base game .exe even if they have expansions installed. But I tried it and it did not work, I got an error message.

This is how I did it :

My computer/C/Program Files/ElectronicArts/The sims 3/ University/Game/Bin/TS3EP09

In this case University is the most current EP I have installed. That icon copied to my desktop starts the game without the Launcher. The base game .exe would not.

Edit: I DO have the most current patch, I don't have the island paradise EP installed yet, but I have it's patch.

You are so right, I have to use the .exe from the latest game I own. Using the base game .exe doesn't work for me either. I right click the executable file from my latest game and make a shortcut on my desk top. Been using this method since the 4th day the game came out and there was launcher issues then. One of the SimGurus posted how to bypass the launcher at that time and that is how I have started my game ever since. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    veiledstarveiledstar Posts: 587 Member
    edited June 2013
    I hope this is related because I am frustrated trying to fix it. I installed the patch after dragging the sims folder to the desktop, then installed IP. When I launched the launcher to install my store content, it asked to install a store patch, which I did. I reinstalled all my store content (no tmp files appeared), closed the launcher, put back in any files from my previous game and relaunched. All store content says it's installed via the launcher, but in game, it doesn't show up. I still have no tmp files.

Size of Dccache: 603.1 MB store content only, no Custom content, no tmp files.

I'd love to go around the launcher, but it seems very complicated on a mac.....
    NraasSignature.png
  • Options
    pdsbabeplayerpdsbabeplayer Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2013
    ok i too can not get my game to start.. but i am sorta out of my league when you explain about dccache and how to bypass launcher can you please explain it for me please
  • Options
    ailishmailishm Posts: 6
    edited July 2013
    i deleted the .tmps and bypassed the thing but it still doesn't work :( ugh its been like this for a week now or since whenever the new update was ready it worked for a day but it took 10+ hours to load away from the black screen that time but it hasnt loaded ever since i closed sims to download island paradise :evil: :evil: :!:
  • Options
    TigMagickTigMagick Posts: 1,661 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi all, we are still investigating. Can those of you having the problem let me know how many GBs of Store AND 3rd party custom content you have installed?

.tmp = 17 files at 3.36GB
    DCCache=22 items 3.86 GB
    they are- dcc.ent, dcdb0.dbc, dcdb0.ebc on thought till dcdb18.ebc then - missingdeps.idx
    mods= 366MB

Also for some reason my CC ie my mods have stopped working I dont like it! It auto trys to sign me in if I have to use the launcher and I've been playing offline do to hubby watching streaming shows. I'm doing farther testing to see if a mods conflicting due to issues found after the patch.

Also I have checked and RE-checked on the fact that all mods are up to date while my Fave moder has posted a number of updates I have kept on top of it. (Thank goodness the flooding didn't do damage thier home!)

Ah back to reloading and testing something else! Its not like I have unlimited time to fix this, vast technical knowledge and dont want to play w/ my new shiny at all....

• Options
    SkyMass11SkyMass11 Posts: 68
    edited July 2013
    Hamburgerfaye

I don't think that would really work. I don't have .tmp files myself but I think that would break more things rather than fix them.

But moving those files out of your DCBackup (leaving the ccmerged.package inside) out of your entire Sims 3 folder usually helps with memory space. Here, regarding ccmerged.package and the DCBackup folder:

http://nonasims.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/dcbackup-ccmerged-package-and-your-premium-content-items/
  • Options
    MsrednotdeadMsrednotdead Posts: 9,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    as I own the store and install my stuff in batches this i what my folder looks like (minus the tmp files that I kept deleting)

ebc_zpsf3d0eab8.png
  • Options
    ailishmailishm Posts: 6
    edited July 2013
    crinrict i tried deleting all of the .tmp files and bypassing the launcher but i still get the black screen and i tried waiting for the black screen to go away but it won't even after 20-ish hours all my software is up to date so i believe at least the graphics and such bc i just downloaded new ones the other day but urgh is there a way to just reinstall 1.50 as my latest update?????????
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited July 2013
    I deleted the tmp files and bypassed the launcher. So far, the tmp files haven't shown back up again.
  • Options
    PandaIsPuckoPandaIsPucko Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    After installing Island Paradise, I got the black screen when starting via TS3W, so I made sure all my mods where updated but when the black screen where left I removed them. I could then start the game, but when in CAS I couldn't choose pre-made sims, they just wouldn't change. I tried removing all of my CC and everything saved, same thing still happened.
    So I decided to reinstall all of my games and when I started the game again everything worked fine. I started both through launcher and TS3W.
    I put my mods and .package CC in and everything worked, even choosing the pre-made sims.
    Then I put my old downloaded things in and installed via the launcher. I read a post that said they might be corrupted so I removed them and reinstalled some of it. Even though all of the downloads are now new, my game will not start, neither through launcher or TS3W.

When starting the launcher now, it says I was unable to connect to Origin. I've got no .tmp files in my DCCache, and even though I've now got quite alot of CC through launcher there are only 7 files in there, 5 .dbc and 2 .ebc.

File size of DCCache is 994MB, Downloads 1,47GB, Mods folder 1,55GB. Using MasterController.

Is there anything I can do? Since there are no .tmp files there aren't much to delete and bypassing the launcher doesn't work. The launcher is working at its normal speed (not to quick but managable).
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    edited July 2013
    I have reached an awesome moment! Info includes mods folder 768 MB, store items and .sims3pack files 1.2 GB, DCcache folder with temp files 3.17 GB and without tmp files 1.88 MB.

I too have no TS3.exe but I do have a TS3EP10 which I double clicked and I was able to bypass the launcher. :shock:

For literally years, it took crossing fingers and pleading with the stupid launcher to load game and it took up to 10 minutes to do it. Now, with bypassing launcher, it takes maybe 30 seconds...I am so grateful, where do I send the check. :lol:

I swear, I have learned tons of stuff just by reading you guys' threads. Thank you!

Edit to say, tmp files did not come back after game was started up. :mrgreen:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ailishm wrote:
    crinrict i tried deleting all of the .tmp files and bypassing the launcher but i still get the black screen and i tried waiting for the black screen to go away but it won't even after 20-ish hours all my software is up to date so i believe at least the graphics and such bc i just downloaded new ones the other day but urgh is there a way to just reinstall 1.50 as my latest update?????????

Try deleting downloadedsims.index from the savedSims folder (it recreates)
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited July 2013
    bshag4lv wrote:
    I am so grateful, where do I send the check. :lol:

To some charity ? ;)
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited July 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    bshag4lv wrote:

To some charity ? ;)

Sorry crinrict, I forgot about English not being your first language, it was a joke...you guys' information was so valuable to me and I'm so grateful I'd be willing to pay you...just my weird sense of humor. :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    bshag4lv wrote:
    crinrict wrote:
    bshag4lv wrote:

To some charity ? ;)

Sorry crinrict, I forgot about English not being your first language, it was a joke...you guys' information was so valuable to me and I'm so grateful I'd be willing to pay you...just my weird sense of humor. :wink:

I know how you meant it and mine was a joke as well. Sorry ;)
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited July 2013
    Hi all, we are still investigating. Can those of you having the problem let me know how many GBs of Store AND 3rd party custom content you have installed?
    Hi,

Below are my file sizes with and without TMP files (I have no CC installed). I also wanted to add my observations:

I have been watching my DCCache folder while installing my Store content. Every time you click the Install button, the launcher goes through its process of installing, and then the launcher appears to freeze once the items are "Done!" This is because the launcher is now going through EVERY file (including the TMP files) in the DCCache folder and updating them--they all receive new timestamps. That means that if you want to install one item that's 500 KB, your launcher will freeze for the same amount of time as if you installed 50 items that equal 200 MB. (So, don't bother installing one item at a time if you don't have to.)

Thanks for starting this thread, Crin, and thanks for looking into this, SimGuruKelly. I look forward to this issue getting resolved soon.

-Jess

My DCCache with TMP files:
    8.57 GB, 23 EBC files, 21 TMP files, 1 ENT file, 1 IDX file

DCCache_02.jpg

DCCache_01a2.jpg
    DCCache_01b2.jpg

My DCCache without TMP files:
    4.42 GB, 23 EBC files, 1 ENT file, 1 IDX file

DCCache_04.jpg

DCCache_03.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    crinrict wrote:
    bshag4lv wrote:
    crinrict wrote:
    bshag4lv wrote:

To some charity ? ;)

I know how you meant it and mine was a joke as well. Sorry ;)
    Lord! Please disregard the dumb post I made. :oops: :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top