May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How I think EA could allow players to have religion without adding religion:

Comments

• Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    Sounds good to me! They have added other controversial stuff in the game that upsets some simmers so why not religion?

I agree with that statement 100%!!

I really like the idea of clubs because I could use it as a spiritual thing or not. And I already thought of many non-spiritual clubs that I would definitely make with the system, if something like that was added to the game!

Sims do need more ways to share and enjoy their interests with one another. Sims should be a lot more social, and clubs are a great way to expand the social activities of sims. Customizable clubs would be a lot better than EA's "social groups" we got in University Life. You can't customize the rebel, nerd or jocks groups at all. They do, however, get their own "hangout" type of lots. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a "club hangout" lot type that we could build any way we wanted?

Yeah, I am all for it!!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Weather or not you use it as a religion, this idea for clubs is great! I could see this concept expand when we get pets. You could have a dog or cat club, or if we get to have horses again, horse club. When we get seasons, we could have the Polar Bear Club, swimming in ice water. When we get late night, we could have dance clubs.

Oh I could go on and on with this one!

Great Idea!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    If you add clubs then it would be more like Free Time's hobbies, where only those of the same interest of the hobby shows up. I didn't like Freetime due to that reason, nor do I want religion in TS4 however, I do like being able to form 'groups' like in TS2 and they all get together and go somewhere 'just for fun' and the player chose who and were in those groups..such a simple idea, which I loved.

I had my bowling groups, my clubers groups, my book club groups, and or park groups and my coffee house groups and so on...if they make TS4 groups much like they were in TS2 then I would vote yes, but not for the religion apsect of it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    I'm not religious but i would love a church in my game, they would be amazing to build and great for weddings! think of the positives not the negatives :D

This! It bothers me how some people just see the word "religion" and automatically jump into the thread and talk about how much they hate the idea and how EA will never add anything like this. Sims Medieval has religion (sims religion mind you) churches, etc so idk why it seems like an impossible idea for 4.

But like I said, I think the whole "religion" aspect is throwing people off, seeing as the idea could have nothing to do with it, if you wish.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited May 2013
    Wow -_-. I love how this just gets so... Heated with emotion? You all of course dont need me to specify...

With such an open system, you could make the clubs something really terrible, something that could offend people much more than religion! Gosh, if that were mentioned explicitly, the flame war should have been worse, but nothing can get people going more than religion... I dont think anyone needs me to give examples, its likely that these things are so much worse than religion that they shouldnt be mentioned..

Does this make sense?
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Pretty cool idea. I'd enjoy having clubs, although I'm sure there will always be people that object just because this can be made into something religious. :l
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    2011simone wrote:
    I'm not religious but i would love a church in my game, they would be amazing to build and great for weddings! think of the positives not the negatives :D

This! It bothers me how some people just see the word "religion" and automatically jump into the thread and talk about how much they hate the idea and how EA will never add anything like this. Sims Medieval has religion (sims religion mind you) churches, etc so idk why it seems like an impossible idea for 4.

But like I said, I think the whole "religion" aspect is throwing people off, seeing as the idea could have nothing to do with it, if you wish.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2013
    Daniblee wrote:
    2011simone wrote:

Completely agree.
    I agree too, I think this is a great idea. It's only religious if you make it religious.

I'm not a religious person, but if there were a system like this, I might make my own Sim "religion" (with me as their God :twisted: :P )
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think it would be awesome and really funny if there wasn't such a religion but more a cult and their symbol was say the grilled cheese sandwich or the llama and they would all wear robes to identify them in public.
    I can imagine funny situations where they come knocking at your door to try and convert you. It would be a similar to the tragic clown in the sims 1 where you have to find a way to get rid of them, unless you do actually join and you unlock their robes and have to go to a 'meeting' once a week.

I don't think that would be too offensive, plus I'm pretty sure they did something similar with the sims 2 psp with a cow cult or something, but that game was story based so it might be a different situation.
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,923 Member
    edited May 2013
    I live in the Bible belt, the sims is my escape from religion.

People want it in the game look for mods or just be creative. I can think of several ways simmers could add religious aspects into the game without ruining it for everyone else.
  • Options
    neilshaw1980neilshaw1980 Posts: 210 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think its a good idea, I have no idea why there can't be a religious building in the game though that can be named whatever (church, mosque etc) would be cool for those that did want religion, and remain as just a normal small building unused on the map for those that don't. They already have things in the game that COULD upset other players so I see no reason why it should be different for religion.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep I completely understand what are are saying about the clubs and they would be what you made them.......but....

Using the first examples you gave in your original post wouldn't things like appropriate clothing have to be added if you wanted to make a religious group rather than a bowling league?

I'm talking about things like cassocks,clerical collars and yamakas.

Wouldn't that make it religious?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep I completely understand what are are saying about the clubs and they would be what you made them.......but....

Using the first examples you gave in your original post wouldn't things like appropriate clothing have to be added if you wanted to make a religious group rather than a bowling league?

Not necessarily ive seen priests that just wear suits when giving their sermon. How you dress is only visual it has nothing to do with how devoted you are to your religion. So in essence if someone wanted to make the group add a dress code in other words if its bowling they wear silly team shirts which you can design if its religious its formal wear ya know.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    AthenaOnyx wrote:
    I live in the Bible belt, the sims is my escape from religion.

People want it in the game look for mods or just be creative. I can think of several ways simmers could add religious aspects into the game without ruining it for everyone else.
    Did you read the OP? Contrary to what the title says, this is nothing to do with religion. It would only be religious if you made it so.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2013
    peoinee wrote:

Not necessarily ive seen priests that just wear suits when giving their sermon. How you dress is only visual it has nothing to do with how devoted you are to your religion. So in essence if someone wanted to make the group add a dress code in other words if its bowling they wear silly team shirts which you can design if its religious its formal wear ya know.

It really doesn't have anything to do with how devoted someone is it depends on the sect and the individual congregation.

Priests sometimes wear suits and most Christian religions like pastors or reverends...Hassidic Orthodox clergy still wear traditional garb, most Rabbis wear at least a kippah or yamaka. While eastern religions don't have a specific garb they do have a specific type of clothing.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Mia576Mia576 Posts: 393 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Um, sorry, no. Religion, or any form of it or something similar to it is the last thing I want in my game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Mia576 wrote:
    Um, sorry, no. Religion, or any form of it or something similar to it is the last thing I want in my game.

Nobody is forcing you to use the feature, if it was indeed added to the game. I don't want dragons in my game but they are coming. I just won't be purchasing them.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think the idea in its own is a bit ridiculous. Religion without actually adding religion and making it so some groups dislike each other? Yeah.. that's not the best idea in the world.
  • Options
    AlexPej79AlexPej79 Posts: 124 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I like the idea, some of you are not reading the op and getting ********, get over yourself.
  • Options
    Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited May 2013
    It won't happen because of the way they talked about and handles social groups in UL, they want the game to feel inclusive rather than exclusive, which is what this will make. If people want to make one group dislike one another, that's they're game and their game only, the devs won't add this themselves, and good on them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It won't happen because of the way they talked about and handles social groups in UL, they want the game to feel inclusive rather than exclusive, which is what this will make. If people want to make one group dislike one another, that's they're game and their game only, the devs won't add this themselves, and good on them.
    Where does it say the groups dislike each other? :?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Where does it say the groups dislike each other? :?

It doesn't lol
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think they might be interpreting too much a bit of the OPs post about a member couldn't be part of more then two groups if the groups hated each other.

"Groups: This would show you all the clubs in town, and would allow you to make a relationship with them. If you had an excellent relation ship between the "Plantsims for Peace" and the "Faeries for Freedom", you would be able to be a member of both groups at the same time. If "Realists" and "Fantasy Fantatics" hate each other, you can't be a member of both. "

Another edit: Techinally Eastern relgion Islam..does for females supposedly does have suppoedly relgious wear hijab/niqab/burqa and males wear a hat like those of the Judiasm males

Another Edit. A female Catholic leader would be most likely called an Abbess
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    IMeep wrote:
    You probably are confused about the title, and were wondering what the heck I was talking about. Well, what if we added "clubs" to the game, which would be highly customizable.

First, to start a club, just use your phone, and fill up the following form:

Club Name :
    Demonym :
    Demonym (P):
    Leader (M):
    Leaders (M):
    Leader (F):
    Leaders (F):
    Symbol :

This would be the basics of your club.
    The club name is what the club is called.
    The Demonym is what people in the club are called. There would be options to make plural ones, if it is applicable (E.G, if you are from Asia, you are Asian. However, if there are multitudes of you, you are Asians. However, if you are from China, you are Chinese, and multitudes of you are still called just Chinese.)
    The leaders are what the leaders of the club are called. There would be options for plurals, and females, if applicable.)
    The Symbol is what appears when you talk about the club. You would select it from the group of symbols in the game.

So as you can see, this would be completely non-religious, and would only become religious if made so. Here are some examples of popular religions as Sim clubs:

Club Name : Catholicism
    Demonym : Catholic
    Demonym (P): Catholics
    Leader (M): Priest
    Leaders (M): Priests
    Leader (F): Priestess
    Leaders (F): Priestesses
    Symbol : (It would be up to you, I would choose a fish.)

(You have to fill out them all, but you don't have to appoint females as leaders)

Club Name : Islam
    Demonym : Muslim
    Demonym (P): Muslims
    Leader (M): Imam
    Leaders (M): Imams
    Leader (F): Imam
    Leaders (F): Imam
    Symbol : (I would opt for a Cresent moon)

Club Name : Hinduism
    Demonym : Hindu
    Demonym (P): Hindus
    Leader (M): Guru
    Leaders (M): Gurus
    Leader (F): Guru
    Leaders (F): Gurus
    Symbol : (No clue)

(Also, it would be really great if EA would provide us with the ability to download symbols off our computer, and maybe share them to the exchange)
    (Also note, it would also be possible to have separate male and female demonyms)

So now that you have created your club, you can do a few things.

First off, you can now try to recruit people into your group. If you haven't already fiddled with the advanced group options, which I will get to later, this will be dependent on your relationship with the person, and on your Charisma skill.

If you are successful at recruiting them, you will now see that they are a "Demonym" of your group in the friendship panel. This would be with things like "rich". Other Sims will have to learn it by conversing with that person.

Second off, you can edit your group. Just use your cellphone, click on group, and then edit. This will open up a much bigger form than the one you started with, it will have the original form, and several new options.

Club Name :
    Demonym :
    Demonym (P):
    Leader (M):
    Leaders (M):
    Leader (F):
    Leaders (F):
    Symbol :
    Color :
    Music :
    Traits :
    Skills :
    Lifestates :
    Other :
    Groups :
    Rules :

Here are the new options:

Color: These are the colors of your group. Sims who have these colors as favorite colors are more inclined to join your group. All Sims who are in your group may sometimes 'mention' (use in a thought bubble) the colors, while talking about your group.

Music: This is the music that will typically be played when your group is having a meeting. Sims who like this music will be more inclined to join your group. The icon for the music may come up when talking about your group.

Traits: There would be two sections here, good and bad. Good traits would be traits your group looks upon nicely, while bad traits would be looked upon disapprovingly. For example, a Fishing group would value "Angler" and "Loves the outdoors" while Sims who "Hate the outdoors" would be frowned upon.

Having good traits would make you more likely to join the group, while the opposite is true of bad traits.

Skills: These would work exactly like traits, only they are with skills.

Lifestates: These would be exactly like skills and traits, except they are lifestates. For example, Faeries, Plantsims, bigfeet, mermaids and witches may all be looked upon favorably in an environmental group, whereas simbots and servos wouldn't be liked.

Other: This would be like the above, only with things such as rich, careers, and lifestyles.

Groups: This would show you all the clubs in town, and would allow you to make a relationship with them. If you had an excellent relation ship between the "Plantsims for Peace" and the "Faeries for Freedom", you would be able to be a member of both groups at the same time. If "Realists" and "Fantasy Fantatics" hate each other, you can't be a member of both.

Rules: This would establish things that you have to do to be part of a group. Things that could be:

-Not allowed to have relationships
    -No WooHoo before marriage
    -A tithing amount. (I'll explain tithing later)

There are tons of other possibilities, but I will leave them up to EA.

Anyways, Tithing would be having members of the club pay money into it. When playing a sim, you can pay it with the cellphone, or you can pay it at a meeting. Having a tithing amount would mean that your club would get lots of money, but sims would be less interested in joining, frugal and jobless sims even more so.

Your Sim can also take money from the club, but if found out, it will cost you members.

With money, you can either have your Sim take it, donate it to causes that will gain you members (Donate to eco-friendly groups to get eco-friendly sims, charities to get good sims, etc.), or buy a lot, and use the funds to build on it.

Having a lot would be your club's focal point. If you are a party club, it may have a bar on it. A witch club might have an enchanted castle.

This would also be your church, temple, synagogue, or whatever. You could lock certain doors so that certain area could be accessible by everyone, certain areas could be accessible by only members of the group, and some places would be leaders only.

You can also set up meetings, anywhere (But I assume the lot you bought would be best). This could be just a one time thing, but it would be possible to have weekly events, so you wouldn't have to create on every single week.

We don't need any new objects, but a tithing box or plate would be useful.

Questions, comments, concerns?

I really like this idea... whether being used for religion or what not would be up to the individual player... I don't see anything wrong with this idea. :thumbup:
  • Options
    adityarajadityaraj Posts: 358 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think its a good idea, I have no idea why there can't be a religious building in the game though that can be named whatever (church, mosque etc) would be cool for those that did want religion, and remain as just a normal small building unused on the map for those that don't. They already have things in the game that COULD upset other players so I see no reason why it should be different for religion.

absolutely agree with you on this...