Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

• Options
    mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2009
    morsmordre wrote:
    mountanddo wrote:
    Do blind people play video games? Seriously, I have no idea.

Yes, but the games are very simple. Blind people can use the Internet, too. They use something like this, along with software that voices everything:

blind01.jpg

There was a blind girl who lived on my dorm floor at college in my first year. I learned so much from her.

oh, that's cool. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited July 2009
    to0ts wrote:
    oh god... a Sim in a wheelchair is one thing, but a deaf and/or blind Sim is just taking it a bit far. :roll:

I don't understand how that would be taking it too far. Blind and deaf people are just as capable as their normally sighted/hearinged(? lol) peers. Anyway, I kinda think it would be fun to have these things in game but then again, it's just a game, it's not supposed to be so realistic. I mean, I'm visually impaired and I don't really care that I can't make a blind/visually impaired sim.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    smoneill89 wrote:
    MissAnne wrote:
    Want more realism? Get off the computer and enter reality - where people are already experiencing struggles and hardship. I don't see why you would want to recreate that in a video game. The Sims is about capturing the best of life and adding in a bit of fantasy to make it more enjoyable.

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

I AGREE with you 3000%.

I was a little hesitant to reply to this thread but I agree with this post.
    I do like the idea of having wheelchairs. Didn't they have wheelchairs in TS1?

I don't think so but I still have the series on my computer. I can check. Might be an object someone made.
  • Options
    smoneill89smoneill89 Posts: 222 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    smoneill89 wrote:
    MissAnne wrote:
    Want more realism? Get off the computer and enter reality - where people are already experiencing struggles and hardship. I don't see why you would want to recreate that in a video game. The Sims is about capturing the best of life and adding in a bit of fantasy to make it more enjoyable.

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

I AGREE with you 3000%.

I was a little hesitant to reply to this thread but I agree with this post.
    I do like the idea of having wheelchairs. Didn't they have wheelchairs in TS1?

I don't think so but I still have the series on my computer. I can check. Might be an object someone made.

I think someone probably made it
  • Options
    ihutchihutch Posts: 74 New Member
    edited July 2009
    although i like the IDEA or deaf or blind sims , drugs , alcohol, etc... and have it more like real life .. accident insurance fraud anyone ? I actually play with story progression OFF and aging OFF or epic.

I would use something like MATY Awseome mod but it caused 2 noticeble problems even with the custom config so i dont use is and i never probably never will mod TS3 which is how i played TS2 as well in the end although i miss InSIMenator which was the only ever TS2 mod i liked.

For me the sims is always my virtual ken and barbie dolls ... so i control everything and will keep it that way
  • Options
    DaynaJaydeDaynaJayde Posts: 247 New Member
    edited July 2009
    MissAnne wrote:

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There would be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

EA's top priority is to make money. Only a small fraction of their customers are psysically handicapped. Unless a large percentage request that disabilities to be introduced into the game, they're not going to do so because it wouldn't be worth the time and money that goes into game development.

Frankly, I just don't see it happening.

Agreed.
  • Options
    thecrazysimsgirlthecrazysimsgirl Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    To:
    Julieexann
    Hokeypokey
    katcarcat
    simmieK
    Smyley
    loop
    six by nine
    thisiseddie
    dustinhall13
    zepplin123
    sim2kid405
    luckybaer
    Reido
    Longknife
    littleminxundr
    zaftigcande
    zensandwich
    bethekins
    lolisicles
    pinkmeyer015
    pastalover 587
    MrPinto
    3Freak
    DantetheDark
    Vietgirl

Now I wonder what kind of disabilities the game would cover. Would just be like another EP?,(I wonder if their actually making EP's for Sims 3 ?).I think that they should make a EP with like, wheelchairs,canes and ramps and stuff like that. If parents wanted to keep their kido's at home, maybe homeschool would be a option?.What is everyone (listed) opinions and ideas please thank you! :mrgreen:.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    To:
    Julieexann
    Hokeypokey
    katcarcat
    simmieK
    Smyley
    loop
    six by nine
    thisiseddie
    dustinhall13
    zepplin123
    sim2kid405
    luckybaer
    Reido
    Longknife
    littleminxundr
    zaftigcande
    zensandwich
    bethekins
    lolisicles
    pinkmeyer015
    pastalover 587
    MrPinto
    3Freak
    DantetheDark
    Vietgirl

Now I wonder what kind of disabilities the game would cover. Would just be like another EP?,(I wonder if their actually making EP's for Sims 3 ?).I think that they should make a EP with like, wheelchairs,canes and ramps and stuff like that. If parents wanted to keep their kido's at home, maybe homeschool would be a option?.What is everyone (listed) opinions and ideas please thank you! :mrgreen:.

Um, isn't this what the whole topic of this thread is about? What's with the list?
  • Options
    thecrazysimsgirlthecrazysimsgirl Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    To:
    Julieexann
    Hokeypokey
    katcarcat
    simmieK
    Smyley
    loop
    six by nine
    thisiseddie
    dustinhall13
    zepplin123
    sim2kid405
    luckybaer
    Reido
    Longknife
    littleminxundr
    zaftigcande
    zensandwich
    bethekins
    lolisicles
    pinkmeyer015
    pastalover 587
    MrPinto
    3Freak
    DantetheDark
    Vietgirl

Um, isn't this what the whole topic of this thread is about? What's with the list?

No...I believe were arguing about why this should/should not be in the game. I am saying hypothetically if the concepts of disabilities were in the game....what kind of stuff would be in it (i.e canes,walkers,wheelchairs.).The list is from the people I would like to hear from, and their thoughts and opions of what would be in the game (again, hypothetically speaking if disabilites were in the sims 3.)
  • Options
    smoneill89smoneill89 Posts: 222 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    To:
    Julieexann
    Hokeypokey
    katcarcat
    simmieK
    Smyley
    loop
    six by nine
    thisiseddie
    dustinhall13
    zepplin123
    sim2kid405
    luckybaer
    Reido
    Longknife
    littleminxundr
    zaftigcande
    zensandwich
    bethekins
    lolisicles
    pinkmeyer015
    pastalover 587
    MrPinto
    3Freak
    DantetheDark
    Vietgirl

No...I believe were arguing about why this should/should not be in the game. I am saying hypothetically if the concepts of disabilities were in the game....what kind of stuff would be in it (i.e canes,walkers,wheelchairs.).The list is from the people I would like to hear from, and their thoughts and opions of what would be in the game (again, hypothetically speaking if disabilites were in the sims 3.)

Actually, if you look at the first post he/she asked why there aren't any handicapped sims and thought it would be a good challenge to have sims in wheelchairs..so many people started arguing why it should/should not be in the game but I think the OP had the same intentions as you about if it were in the game what kind of stuff would be in it (:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    To:
    Julieexann
    Hokeypokey
    katcarcat
    simmieK
    Smyley
    loop
    six by nine
    thisiseddie
    dustinhall13
    zepplin123
    sim2kid405
    luckybaer
    Reido
    Longknife
    littleminxundr
    zaftigcande
    zensandwich
    bethekins
    lolisicles
    pinkmeyer015
    pastalover 587
    MrPinto
    3Freak
    DantetheDark
    Vietgirl
    Mountanddo

Oh, I see.
  • Options
    real_cutiereal_cutie Posts: 1,749 Member
    edited July 2009
    this thread is still here?
  • Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited July 2009
    morsmordre wrote:
    I was born with a nerve damage that caused me to be profoundly deaf. I've been deaf my entire life, I can't hear anything under 120 decibels in both ears.

I don't like the idea of disabilities in the game. The Sims is just a game, not a real life simulator. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did, especially in middle school. I was teased. I remember walking home crying from a bus stop. It was that bad.

There would have to be extensive programming and a lot of changes in the game engine if you want disabilities to be added to the game. For now, I think The Sims is fine as it is.

Honestly.. if you wanted the game to be more realistic, just turn off your computer and go out in the real world.

Finally, someone gets it. I tried to explain this very concept to longknife, why would someone who has gone through the ups and downs in real life want that depicted in a game for fun as if it were some big joke. Surreal!
  • Options
    LoopLoop Posts: 21 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Best, Post, EVAR!
    Longknife is now my personal Hero,
    Longknife wrote:
    mountanddo wrote:

Because this is a GAME not real life. It's supposed to be light and funny. That is why things like religion, politics and handicapped individuals are not in the game. Wouldn't it be fun if someone with AIDS was in the game? We could watch them take tons of pills and go to the hospital and then eventually die. Lots of people have AIDS so I would think they might be offended if a wheelchair or the ability to be blind or deaf was in the game and AIDS wasn't. Where do you stop? This game was never meant to be a "real life" simulator. Yes, it does simulate life but mostly unrealistic life like money trees and planting cheese and zapping yourself to the store. Should we take these things out of the game because they are unrealistic. I better say too that in case someone thinks I'm serious, I don't think AIDS should be in the game. (just in case)

Some might be offended by this but if there were wheelchairs in the game I might be tempted to push the poor sim into the pool and watch them die. Not because I would do that in real life but because it's funny and that is why I play this game.

OK OK hold up...

Let me start off by saying that when I opened up this thread and saw the comments on the first page, my first thought was "here we go again..."

So I'm going to run through your post and answer all your little comments real quick.

First off, if you are disabled it does not mean "something is wrong with you." It wasn't an illness or accident neccesarily. A good portion of it comes from birth, and citing something someone has had since birth as a defect is just ridiculous; it'd be the same as me saying something's wrong with you because you don't have three eyes and can't experience having three eyes: What do you care? You've never known what it's like to have three eyes. Two eyes is who you are.

Second, I'mma be a lot more blunt than I was in the last thread:

Those of you saying "it might offend someone" I see as extremely ignorant on the subject matter. You're talking about the disabled as if they're alien life forms with their own culture and ways of life, so we need to approach them with caution and understanding. The fact is....they're ******* people. They're the same as anyone else, cept a body part or sense is missing. Viewing them as a totally different group IS just ignorance, and it's a mistake. What do you think would happen if you approached a group of black people with the same cautious-about-offending and overly-understanding tone, as if they were aliens? They'd call you freaking racist, and they'd say "I'm black, not from Mars, god **** it."

Third, I challenge you to find ONE disabled person who would be offended by depictions of Sims in wheelchairs burning to death. It is no different than the offense you take to Sims with two legs and all five senses burning to death; you've gotta be kidding yourself if you think all people in wheelchairs have this brotherly bond, and also being disabled gives them 80% more sensitivity, so they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT like seeing depictions of "their kind" dying. Their personalities are the same as the able-bodied, and their views on Sims dying on the Sims are the same. You've GOT to be ******* kidding me if you think there's this TOTALLY different world the disabled live in. xD It's called Earth. You live there too.

Also, I honestly don't care if you even manage to find one. There's plenty of self-pitying disabled who WOULD get offended, but only because people like you GIVE them pity, which sub-conciously encourages them to throw a pity party. The disabled, whether it's from birth or from an illness or from a war, do NOT need lifelong pity. (I say lifelong cause anyone would get pity after surgery. Anyone deserves that) They need to be treated like everyone else.

And last, let me cite a paradox that came up in the last arguement like this.
    Those arguing against it were crying about how the disabled are always pitying themselves and whining and throwing a big fit over little things while other groups can just deal with it. One woman said her unique skin color was unavaliable in game too (nevermind that she should be able to make any skin tone with enough fiddling), and yet she doesn't whine and cry discrimination, because she is able to look at her minority trait and laugh about it, and she doesn't sulk and whine about it.
    At the same time, she was arguing that the handicapped are victims, and are not to be made fun of. Victims deserve pure, undying pity, and it would be sick to laugh at a victim, as that is the same as kicking somebody while they're down.

Do you see the paradox here? I, as a disabled person, WANT to be able to laugh at myself too. Pretty sure I do it every day, regardless of what she says. Yet, because I do it, she says my views on the matter are WRONG. Now, let's say I were to listen to her, change my ways, and start pitying myself and feeling sorry for myself. OH WAIT, SHI-! She has something against that too!! Not being able to laugh at yourself and accept yourself for who you are is also a mistake in her book! 🐸🐸🐸🐸!?! How do we solve this??

The answer is that EVERY person should be able to laugh at themselves and accept themselves for who they are. The disabled are no different, and pitying them will NEVER allow them to be able to do this; it just turns them into whiners who love feeling sorry for themselves and expect the world of every able-bodied person.

So honestly? I'm 100% for including them in game, and I think you SHOULD be, too. Not just I disagree, I think you're flat-out wrong. You're viewing the disabled as alien beings who have a different culture and way of dealing with social situations, but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 they're human.

And if you still disagree with me, I may have to beat you down with my fake leg, until it knocks some sense into you.

IMG000078.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Ok, lets take it a little further then. How come there aren't any "little people" in the game? Or someone that is 600lbs and can't get out of bed and need people to bring them huge amounts of food and refuse to lose weight? How about white supremist's, they have a right to simulate their life too don't they. How about parents that abuse children or husbands/wifes that beat their spouses? Yes, these are all terrible things that probably most people don't want in the game and will say that these suggestions are ridiculous but are they really any different than plain ole' handicapped people?

My nephews have oto palatal syndrome type 2 which gives him an physical disabilities but did not affect his mental abilities at all. If he were to play the game would he have the right to say his disability SHOULD be put in the game? What about crib death or babysitters that kill the children they are babysitting. All real life situations. All things that should not be in a game that is supposed to be ENTERTAINING.

on that Babysitters thing, Last night My sims Lolita and Sean went out on the town and the babysitter they hired DID try to kill their little infant girl.
    he kept laying her down in the road or by the pond and refused to feed or change her.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Longknife wrote:
    Seriously, argue against my points or admit you're wrong. That slippery slope arguement is just bull and it's pathetic attempt to respond to points without actually GIVING counter-points; always has been.

I don't have to argue against YOUR points because I have my own points. Also, I don't have to admit I'm wrong because I have opinions just like everyone else and am allowed to express them. Face it, it won't happen in the game mainly because of the controversy over at the religion thread and the controversy in only 4 pages in this thread. This forum represents 1-2 percent of the Sims community. It just isn't going to happen. Why don't they have openly gay people in the game? yes, you can simulate them but they don't actually acknowledge that there are specific gay people nor did they create lovers with two men or two women. Because it is too controversial.

there are gays in the game, my current Sim Lolita Mann's mother is a Lesbian married to a woman, (Lolita was concieved when she was young and had not met Hanners) Mathilda and Hanners can woo hoo and all the romantic things are available except try for baby so Yes there are Gay sims,
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Uli07 wrote:
    I agree with what cupcake said a while back...The Sims is meant to be an escape from the real world... If you want it to be that extremely realistic, then go interact with real people. I would never use a 'handicap' feature, and it would be too hard to animate, anyway. EA would have to completely rewrite everything so that other sims could interact with them, just like if there was a height slider in CAS.

See the highlighted bit there, well here is my complaint about that ever being said.
    Why do you feel you NEED to Escape from a world where there are Handicapped people, to a world where everyone is pretty and perfect and No one is more chubby than a football linebacker?

• Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited July 2009
    No handicap folks in the game, sorry EA won't ever do it and I'm so glad in that respect that they have common sense. LOOP you and longknife apparently don't think a real life handicap is not enough. For every fool like you guys that isn't offended. There are tons of people who have or don't have handicaps that would be offended. Enough said.
  • Options
    real_cutiereal_cutie Posts: 1,749 Member
    edited July 2009
    No handicap folks in the game, sorry EA won't ever do it and I'm so glad in that respect that they have common sense. LOOP you and longknife apparently don't think a real life handicap is not enough. For every fool like you guys that isn't offended. There are tons of people who have or don't have handicaps that would be offended. Enough said.

give up already
  • Options
    chschicky94chschicky94 Posts: 217 Member
    edited July 2009
    *imagines this*
    :O
    you dont wanna know what just popped into my head :]
    rofl ohh the cruelty.
    *whispers* i just imagined an evil sim pushing the guy in the wheel chair into an ocean.
  • Options
    czsworldczsworld Posts: 125 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yeah a blind Sim for those of you without graphics cards.
  • Options
    CheesylardCheesylard Posts: 6 New Member
    edited July 2009
    YES!!! I had this idea for TS2 and evreyone said it was stupid! I'm not alone! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Curtis090 wrote:
    MJ902008 wrote:
    how could you have a blind sim???

This.

Believe it or not, blind people go outdoors and go about town without getting lost EVERYDAY!!

Isn't that just AMAZING?? :-o
    Lies!
    They just sit on their sofas all day.
    How dare handicap people be allowed to live? *sarcasm*

My college had a day devoted to disablites (and another time mental problems) and they had a disability (blind) author come all the way from Vancouver BC and he didn't have a guide dog but had one of the students hosting it guide him to the microphone. He said he does have a cane. Have you have heard of Helen Keller? She was both blind and deaf since the age of 2 because of a illness.

I knew tons of disabled people through the years and I have a mental problem
    myself.

If such an EP comes out YOU DON'T have to buy it. I pretty much doubt all of you brought all of the sims 1 or the sims 2 EPs DID YOU?

Some disabled people can act normally yet not be in a special ED class. I was in a normal class all my life and all I needed was an Education Assistant my only problem were bullies and teachers thinking I was doing "boy who cried wolf" thing.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Uli07 wrote:
    ok, um, handicapped knife guy? I think that you should calm down a little. Not everyone is handicapped. And again I say, this is a game. A GAME. People that aren't handicapped...don't want to be. And that is the kind of thing about this game that alot of people play for... Because they aren't rich, they can't achieve their dreams, they can't have kids, maybe can't even get a girlfriend. So why, as a handicapped person, would you want to play the sims just to be yourself? If you wanna be yourself, go out into the real world, get a job, go to college to be whatever it is you wanna be, get a girlfriend, have 300 babies.
    Quit shoving the need to be handicapped down everyone's throats and let some other people have opinions without telling them how stupid they are.

I think someone needs to take their own advice...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    real_cutie wrote:
    ugh this thread just shouldnt have been made :?

No the thread is fine, as is the discussion about the topic, because if you cannot discuss something in an even tempered and adult manner then you become something bad.

I have learned something from the thread.
    GoddessNoire is one of the most hateful trolls I have seen in a thread I have made since the days of a certain fellow on the Mac Addict forums, she really should GB2/b/.

second, from the opinions I have seen here, the able bodied are rather nasty folks when it comes to their treatment of the handicaped. they want to put them in little places away from other folk so they donot have to see them.
    I will tell you this there are mental disabilites in the game. I have tried to make my family and I cannot make my uncle who had 1 leg (lost it after coming home from WWII) nor can I make my uncle who had one arm (long story involving an aligator and a shotgun)
    the reasons I cannot make them, because able bodied folk want this game to be Ables Only, sort of like aparthied for disabilites rather than skin color.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top