Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

• Options
    LongknifeLongknife Posts: 771 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:

Oh trust me, I'm not overly sensitive on your behalf at all. Handicapped or not I think you are in this thread for your own personal reasons and couldn't care less if there is handicapped sims or not. You have accomplished what you set out to do.

Ok, now you actually HAVE ****** me off.

The **** is wrong with you, when after hearing my opinion and say on the matter, instead of freaking LISTENING you decide I'm part of some conspiracy or whatever, or that I'm doing this all for ***** and giggles and that I'm just screwing off?

Seriously, what is it that I set out to do then? I gotta hear this one.

Don't ******* preach to a member about "let everyone voice their opinion, right or wrong" and then label the opposing side a troll. When I stated I thought you were wrong, it was only to express how strong I feel about this. Labeling me as not even being serious? Do you ever even listen to the other side in a debate or do you always do this??
  • Options
    ApplesodaApplesoda Posts: 57 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I've read the last four pages and I'm a little lost on where we are now.
    Buuut, as far as handicapped sims go,
    I like the idea. Not everyone is perfect, and the sims are no exception.
    I also see how people who are handicapped, have loved ones who are handicapped, or another reason, could be offended at this idea.
    Plus, my sims are all one race. Simmian =]
    Hope I didn't say anything to offend anyone.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As I stated before longknife, real life just isn't enough for you. Aren't you worried about how EA would depict a disabled person. What if they depicted a one legged person who hops around everywhere instead having a fake leg? Or what if EA decides to depict a person with one leg as having someone who falls down quite often and lays on the floor and cries. I'm well aware that disabled folks are very independent, but I'm more concerned about how EA will handle it. Hell, and there are a whole host of disabilities that EA can choose to focus on, but you might not care.

You obviously don't care, that's clear. And trust me honey I don't hold any sympathy for your disability, in fact I feel more sorry that real life just isn't enough for you that being disabled in a game makes you feel great.

Hopping? I don't care.

But I assume your point is, what if they depicted the disabled in a bad light? Doesn't matter to me. I don't see a one-legged sim pee himself and then cry about how pathetic I am; I laugh at how ignorant EA must be to think that's how it works.

Using an analysis again, it would be no different than if EA depicted "dark-skin toned" Sims eating Kentucky Fried Chicken all day, craving it as a want. No one would cry and feel pathetic; they would laugh at or yell at EA for making such an ignorant depiction.

They could depict one-legged Sims falling down all the time. That'd be fine with me and would certainly fit in the comical aspect of the Sims. But it's up to them, and knowing how EA censors freaking everything, I doubt they'd touch on anything like that.

And I still don't get what you mean by "real life isn't enough for you." xD

Are you calling me a glutton? I just CAN'T get enough of being disabled, yet I fail to acknowledge my addiction or what? xD

I just want a perfect model simulation of my life, my house, and my body. FFS why does it have to be complicated? It's THAT simple!
  • Options
    SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i like where this thread is going
  • Options
    ClaudiaVanTrampClaudiaVanTramp Posts: 506 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't want handicapped Sims. There would be too many loose ends. How did my Sim get handicapped? Were they in an accident at work? Did they crash their car? Did I step out of bed and lose their footing? Did they trip down the stairs? And then we would need to visit the hospital for check ups. Would this cost money? Does my Sim have Cobra? Will there be a protest outside of City Hall for or against socialized medicine? And that's not covering mental disorders or accidents that leave people in a vegetative state. Would I be able to add disorders as traits in CAS? Would I be able to make paralyzed Sims? What if there was a fire and nobody rescued my handicapped Sim? Would that be discrimination?

No. No handicaps, please. Too. Many. Loose. Ends.
  • Options
    real_cutiereal_cutie Posts: 1,749 Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    As I stated before longknife, real life just isn't enough for you. Aren't you worried about how EA would depict a disabled person. What if they depicted a one legged person who hops around everywhere instead having a fake leg? Or what if EA decides to depict a person with one leg as having someone who falls down quite often and lays on the floor and cries. I'm well aware that disabled folks are very independent, but I'm more concerned about how EA will handle it. Hell, and there are a whole host of disabilities that EA can choose to focus on, but you might not care.

You obviously don't care, that's clear. And trust me honey I don't hold any sympathy for your disability, in fact I feel more sorry that real life just isn't enough for you that being disabled in a game makes you feel great.

Hopping? I don't care.

But I assume your point is, what if they depicted the disabled in a bad light? Doesn't matter to me. I don't see a one-legged sim pee himself and then cry about how pathetic I am; I laugh at how ignorant EA must be to think that's how it works.

Using an analysis again, it would be no different than if EA depicted "dark-skin toned" Sims eating Kentucky Fried Chicken all day, craving it as a want. No one would cry and feel pathetic; they would laugh at or yell at EA for making such an ignorant depiction.

They could depict one-legged Sims falling down all the time. That'd be fine with me and would certainly fit in the comical aspect of the Sims. But it's up to them, and knowing how EA censors freaking everything, I doubt they'd touch on anything like that.

And I still don't get what you mean by "real life isn't enough for you." xD

Are you calling me a glutton? I just CAN'T get enough of being disabled, yet I fail to acknowledge my addiction or what? xD

I just want a perfect model simulation of my life, my house, and my body. FFS why does it have to be complicated? It's THAT simple!

omg lol longknife hhahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahah
  • Options
    MissAnneMissAnne Posts: 544 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Want more realism? Get off the computer and enter reality - where people are already experiencing struggles and hardship. I don't see why you would want to recreate that in a video game. The Sims is about capturing the best of life and adding in a bit of fantasy to make it more enjoyable.

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There would be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

EA's top priority is to make money. Only a small fraction of their customers are psysically handicapped. Unless a large percentage request that disabilities to be introduced into the game, they're not going to do so because it wouldn't be worth the time and money that goes into game development.

Frankly, I just don't see it happening.

• Options
    ClaudiaVanTrampClaudiaVanTramp Posts: 506 New Member
    edited July 2009
    MissAnne wrote:
    Want more realism? Get off the computer and enter reality - where people are already experiencing struggles and hardship. I don't see why you would want to recreate that in a video game. The Sims is about capturing the best of life and adding in a bit of fantasy to make it more enjoyable.

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

I AGREE with you 3000%.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MissAnne wrote:

The reason behind the absence of religion and politcs in the Sims also can be applied to disbilities. There are countless types of disabilities. Would it be fair to include one but not the other? There be too many different factors to consider. If one particular group isn't accurately portrayed, no doubt someone would be offended. EA would risk losing customers and be liable for descrimation lawsuits.

EA's top priority is to make money. Only a small fraction of their customers are psysically handicapped. Unless a large percentage request that disabilities to be introduced into the game, they're not going to do so because it wouldn't be worth the time and money that goes into game development.

Frankly, I just don't see it happening.

i get your point
  • Options
    Angelllite7Angelllite7 Posts: 9,730 Member
    edited July 2009
    and the blind and deaf sims can have their other abilities heightened...they should at elast include wheelchairs, like that simmer afore mentioned, I would feel terrible if that was me and I was unable to make a simself!
  • Options
    morsmordremorsmordre Posts: 990 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I was born with a nerve damage that caused me to be profoundly deaf. I've been deaf my entire life, I can't hear anything under 120 decibels in both ears.

I don't like the idea of disabilities in the game. The Sims is just a game, not a real life simulator. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did, especially in middle school. I was teased. I remember walking home crying from a bus stop. It was that bad.

There would have to be extensive programming and a lot of changes in the game engine if you want disabilities to be added to the game. For now, I think The Sims is fine as it is.

Honestly.. if you wanted the game to be more realistic, just turn off your computer and go out in the real world.
  • Options
    RESastraRESastra Posts: 34 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i've read through the first few pages and i must say, this is not a good idea. including it into the game would not really alter gameplay so why waste time including it. think about it, (for example) if your sim was blind, they could learn braille, but how much different would it be from learning any other skill (gardening, cooking, mechanical).
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm tired of this.

All I will say is that it's as simple as, if you have freckles, you wanna try to make your simself as accurate as possible, and you noticed there was no freckle option in create a Sim, you request EA implement freckles. That's the exact reason we're requesting; because our disabilities are a part of us and we're just not us without them. Without them we feel like we've made our simselves bald. Obviously our request is a lot more difficult to code though, and that's why no one has high hopes for it and why some of us probably FEEL the need to request it: to get their attention and remind them we're here too and we want it.

But no, our physical characteristics are too offensive and real for people, oh noooo~ :roll:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Well, I'm tired of this.

All I will say is that it's as simple as, if you have freckles, you wanna try to make your simself as accurate as possible, and you noticed there was no freckle option in create a Sim, you request EA implement freckles. That's the exact reason we're requesting; because our disabilities are a part of us and we're just not us without them. Without them we feel like we've made our simselves bald. Obviously our request is a lot more difficult to code though, and that's why no one has high hopes for it and why some of us probably FEEL the need to request it: to get their attention and remind them we're here too and we want it.

But no, our physical characteristics are too offensive and real for people, oh noooo~ :roll:

Feel free to donate money to EA so they can pay their programmers to create disabilities in the game. Oh wait, they'll just use it towards developing something else such as pets and seasons. I have another idea, why don't YOU figure out how to program the disabilities into the game?

It
    is
    just
    a
    game,
    period.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    morsmordre wrote:
    Longknife wrote:
    Well, I'm tired of this.

Feel free to donate money to EA so they can pay their programmers to create disabilities in the game. Oh wait, they'll just use it towards developing something else such as pets and seasons. I have another idea, why don't YOU figure out how to program the disabilities into the game?

It
    is
    just
    a
    game,
    period.

*Sigh*

And if it's just a game, why are you so adamant against letting us have this?

Please, saying it's just a game is fine. I've made it clear that I for one do not expect this to happen. If anything, I'm probably arguing more for the right for disabled people to be in the game. (Because 🐸🐸🐸🐸, plenty of people oppose it here) Having it happen would be nice, but I'm not going to be sad if it doesn't happen.

But the hypocrisy in your logic when arguing: the fact that I can use that exact arguement to argue as to why they SHOULD be in the game? Just please, stop. It's annoying.

Now let's both let this die.
  • Options
    Vietgirl_xoxoVietgirl_xoxo Posts: 7,142 Member
    edited July 2009
    I suggest the sims 3 game for make believe stuff and we don't need it to be a serious game relating to real life. xD But some things like real life are good.
  • Options
    mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    mountanddo wrote:

Oh trust me, I'm not overly sensitive on your behalf at all. Handicapped or not I think you are in this thread for your own personal reasons and couldn't care less if there is handicapped sims or not. You have accomplished what you set out to do.

The **** is wrong with you, when after hearing my opinion and say on the matter, instead of freaking LISTENING you decide I'm part of some conspiracy or whatever, or that I'm doing this all for ***** and giggles and that I'm just screwing off?

Don't ******* preach to a member about "let everyone voice their opinion, right or wrong" and then label the opposing side a troll. When I stated I thought you were wrong, it was only to express how strong I feel about this. Labeling me as not even being serious? Do you ever even listen to the other side in a debate or do you always do this??

Ok, you want to hear why I think you are just out for drawing attention to yourself? The way you talk about your disability is disrespectful to other people with disabilities. You don't even take into consideration that maybe someone who IS disabled and found themselves on the flooring peeing all over themselves and crying wouldn't find that funny. You just ASSume that all disabled people are ok with their disabilities or they should be. Life doesn't work that way and since you want to simulate real life you need to open up your eyes and see how ridiculous this idea is. Maybe you think they should be ok with it. Maybe because you were born with your disability that you feel you are entitled to speak for the entire disabled community. Possibly you may want to go out in real life and speak about how disabled people should "buck up" and embrace their disability. I don't find having one leg funny at all. It's great that you have accepted it and are ok enough with it to make fun of yourself and joke about it. I guarentee that for every one of you there are many more people that aren't ok with it and don't find their disability funny in the least.

BTW, the stereotype that Black people eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is wrong. It's really any fried chicken.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    morsmordre wrote:
    Longknife wrote:
    Well, I'm tired of this.

It
    is
    just
    a
    game,
    period.

*Sigh*

And if it's just a game, why are you so adamant against letting us have this?

Please, saying it's just a game is fine. I've made it clear that I for one do not expect this to happen. If anything, I'm probably arguing more for the right for disabled people to be in the game. (Because 🐸🐸🐸🐸, plenty of people oppose it here) Having it happen would be nice, but I'm not going to be sad if it doesn't happen.

But the hypocrisy in your logic when arguing: the fact that I can use that exact arguement to argue as to why they SHOULD be in the game? Just please, stop. It's annoying.

Now let's both let this die.

I'm actually disabled, though. I don't want it in the game because I actually understand the difficulties of modifying the game engine. So many objects will have to adapt to wheelchairs and stuff (just like real life, yeah).. I mean, come on, even TVs will need an option to turn closed captioning on so the deaf people can watch TV. It's just too much.

Everyone can always dream, but it's not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ugh this thread just shouldnt have been made :?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Longknife wrote:
    mountanddo wrote:

Ok, you want to hear why I think you are just out for drawing attention to yourself? The way you talk about your disability is disrespectful to other people with disabilities. You don't even take into consideration that maybe someone who IS disabled and found themselves on the flooring peeing all over themselves and crying wouldn't find that funny. You just ASSume that all disabled people are ok with their disabilities or they should be. Life doesn't work that way and since you want to simulate real life you need to open up your eyes and see how ridiculous this idea is. Maybe you think they should be ok with it. Maybe because you were born with your disability that you feel you are entitled to speak for the entire disabled community. Possibly you may want to go out in real life and speak about how disabled people should "buck up" and embrace their disability. I don't find having one leg funny at all. It's great that you have accepted it and are ok enough with it to make fun of yourself and joke about it. I guarentee that for every one of you there are many more people that aren't ok with it and don't find their disability funny in the least.

BTW, the stereotype that Black people eat Kentucky Fried Chicken is wrong. It's really any fried chicken.

Yeah, I think this kid is just trolling for attention. He sure as hell doesn't speak for me - especially when he said he was arguing more for the right for disabled people to be in the game. Speak for yourself, TROLL.
  • Options
    mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Do blind people play video games? Seriously, I have no idea.
  • Options
    Uzi666Uzi666 Posts: 1,451 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i for one would like a cerbal palsy sim
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Do blind people play video games? Seriously, I have no idea.

Yes, but the games are very simple. Blind people can use the Internet, too. They use something like this, along with software that voices everything:

blind01.jpg

There was a blind girl who lived on my dorm floor at college in my first year. I learned so much from her.
  • Options
    CassAngelCassAngel Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2009
    Hell No!!! I'm all for equal oppurtunities but i think this is just a little bit too far. Its just a bit grim for my liking. there would be way too many disabilities to mention and im not sure everyone wants to play a 'blind' or 'deaf' or 'one legged' sim to be honest. lets just stick to what we have thanks.
  • Options
    smoneill89smoneill89 Posts: 222 New Member
    edited July 2009
    MissAnne wrote:

I AGREE with you 3000%.

I was a little hesitant to reply to this thread but I agree with this post.
    I do like the idea of having wheelchairs. Didn't they have wheelchairs in TS1?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top