Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

La Baie Acadienne~ Update 4 ~ pg. 5. ~ 4/21/13 ~

Comments

• Options
    B4b3GuRlB4b3GuRl Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2013
    Wow! I have to say what you have so far looks beautiful. This is definitely a world I can see myself enjoying. :)
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited February 2013
    B4b3GuRl wrote:
    Wow! I have to say what you have so far looks beautiful. This is definitely a world I can see myself enjoying. :)

Thank you! :D

:lol: I exported the world for playtesting and I realized that I set the terrain sound for the grass as sand so it's not covering up with heavy snow. :XD: It took me a good ammount of time to figure that out. :D
  • Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited February 2013
    Looking very beautiful niac. I look forward to following your progress.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you MerryWiddow. :D

Hey all, I've done great work with old town. I've made a lot of the lots in it match the old town from the sims unleashed, and it looks very awesome... and nostalgic. :D

Also, I found this video of a New Orleans funeral procession. It broke my heart, yet elated me. I found it very cool, definitely worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJW2qMVv4M

What a beautiful culture. I can't wait to get to a point where I can further test this world.
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2013
    this idea looks like its will be awesome! Are you working on this and Beaulieu Island at the same time?
  • Options
    Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm very impressed, I really like the lots you are using in this world, looking forward to seeing more. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    happyjme wrote:
    this idea looks like its will be awesome! Are you working on this and Beaulieu Island at the same time?

Beaulieu Island is not going to be released in my eyes. I might pick it up later, but, for now, I'm focusing on this world. I didn't like how Beaulieu island was turning out. You may have liked it from the pictures, but it could have been a lot better. I'm thinking of turning it into more of a tropical city for Island Paradise actually.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Stw402 wrote:
    I'm very impressed, I really like the lots you are using in this world, looking forward to seeing more. :D

Thank you :D
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2013
    niac1234 wrote:
    happyjme wrote:

Beaulieu Island is not going to be released in my eyes. I might pick it up later, but, for now, I'm focusing on this world. I didn't like how Beaulieu island was turning out. You may have liked it from the pictures, but it could have been a lot better. I'm thinking of turning it into more of a tropical city for Island Paradise actually.

Yeah, I can see your point. It will be better to focus your attention on one instead and I'm sure the landscaping is probably better in Acadienne because Beaulieu was kind of flat. Though there are aspects of it that I really like. You cant go wrong with a city on a large grid. I also loved some of the lots that you built for Beaulieu so hopefully you can find some spots to use them in Acadieene. The city park and the houses were very nice, especially the brick mansion that was set high off the street level. :)
  • Options
    fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hey niac,

I suppose New Orleans carries sort of a mystique for many and of course there is also a certain historical charm to the place I think.

Very nice work and you have caught the essence of New Orleans I think.

fidlerten
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    happyjme wrote:
    niac1234 wrote:
    happyjme wrote:

Yeah, I can see your point. It will be better to focus your attention on one instead and I'm sure the landscaping is probably better in Acadienne because Beaulieu was kind of flat. Though there are aspects of it that I really like. You cant go wrong with a city on a large grid. I also loved some of the lots that you built for Beaulieu so hopefully you can find some spots to use them in Acadieene. The city park and the houses were very nice, especially the brick mansion that was set high off the street level. :)

Many of the houses that appeared in Beaulieu island are appearing in this world and more. The Brick manor is... debatable. It doesn't really match the feel of the world, but I think I could make it work. I'll probably just upload it to the exchange. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    fidlerten wrote:
    Hey niac,

I suppose New Orleans carries sort of a mystique for many and of course there is also a certain historical charm to the place I think.

Very nice work and you have caught the essence of New Orleans I think.

fidlerten

Thank you! I feel that this was the perfect time to make the world because it combines all of the aspects of Supernatural, Late Night, and Showtime combined. It certainly looks beautiful in the seasons too. Though I have a dilema becuase Oak moss, and banyan trees don't change color. I'm thinking about adding a few cottonwood or oak trees to the swamp, for a little more color, but that'll add a bigger lag.
  • Options
    RukayaRukaya Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited February 2013
    Lovely. I hope you keep it CC free.
  • Options
    Illyianna2005Illyianna2005 Posts: 895 Member
    edited February 2013
    Could you leave a couple homes in the French Quarter empty, if it is not too much to ask? I'd like to furnish them in my game with the Palace of Versailles Set when you World is done.

This is the best version of New Orleans I've ever seen, I love New Oreleans, all it's History, Mystery can't wait until your done.
  • Options
    SinkalaSinkala Posts: 475 Member
    edited February 2013
    This looks stunning. I absolutely love that red building.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Could you leave a couple homes in the French Quarter empty, if it is not too much to ask? I'd like to furnish them in my game with the Palace of Versailles Set when you World is done.

This is the best version of New Orleans I've ever seen, I love New Oreleans, all it's History, Mystery can't wait until your done.

I plan on leaving a couple lots empty, (disguised as Construction sites), if you want, I'll upload a shell to the exchange to replace them for you, but I'd rather leave a lot completely empty for builders than just a shell.

Thanks all. :D

I found out a way to get around the CC hanging plant by using pretty crafty CFE. It looks very nice. I'll show pics soon. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I NEED YOUR HELP

So, when I upload the world to my game, I tested what it would look like in snow, and the result is not good. The ground will not cover with snow. It only looks like there's frost on the ground but I had it set at the highest level of snow soooo... I dunno. I thought it was the terrain the sound, but that's not it either. It also causes the sidewalk texture to disappear. I'm at a loss. Please help me. here's a pic, of the one spot in the world where the snow actually shows up.

Screenshot-539_zps4f9019a0.jpg

And some more

Screenshot-540_zps98bf383a.jpg

Screenshot-541_zpscba0cc0c.jpg

That's supposed to be the sidewalk ^^
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2013
    It may not be you or anything you are doing as Guru Smitty today said there is a glitch in Seasons with the snow and if you looks at the store thread for Aurora Skies it has some weirdness going on with the snow there too. Look in the store thread and see a thread with snow in the title - the Devs are working on a fix for this glitch - you might want to mention this though to Sim Guru Copeland or Guru Smitty seeing it is in a CAW world as well - it might help the Dev's in getting a fix faster. Granted your problem is different but areas look the same - so I would wait and see as some of us have tried everything to fix the issue and so far there is nothing we can do to fix it.

On a second note I never once ever saw snow in New Orleans anyway... so maybe the town is trying to tell you something. hehehe

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2013
    I read somewhere that it was from the sea level's placement and the height of the ground above it. When it's barely above it, it shows up weird.

I could be wrong- don't hold me against this. :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    TRachet wrote:
    I read somewhere that it was from the sea level's placement and the height of the ground above it. When it's barely above it, it shows up weird.

OMG!! That's it!! Is there any way I can fix it without basically restarting with all of the lots do you think?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    niac1234 wrote:
    TRachet wrote:

OMG!! That's it!! Is there any way I can fix it without basically restarting with all of the lots do you think?

I had the exact same issue with my world. The only way I managed to fix it was to re-do the low-levels of terrain. I would assume that lowering the sea-level in CAW might work too.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    That was what people were saying but the Developers of the game say it is a Seasons bug - so who do you think is right - what a simmer says or what the developers are saying? Add to that fact Simguru Smitty said they are working on a fix - so what happens when they get the actual fix - then do you redo your water levels yet again?

Also if it was just water levels, why is it not all worlds with low water levels showing this issue - take for instance Twinbrooks and any other swampy looking world - this is not universal and as bugs go, some worlds get it and some do not. But yes when people first saw this problem in Aurora skies, someone asked SimGuru Copeland I believe if it could be the fact Aurora Skies was at - below sea level in some areas - but the fact of the matter the snow is like that throughout Aurora Skies but a few choice lots, regardless of what degree they are at sea level - even in lots above sea level - and not once did the guru say that, he just said he3 would pass the info on to the game engineers to be looked at. Well not getting any direct answer in 48 hours - I saw people posting it was because the world was below sea level - all over the place - so yeah a lot of "simmers" said it, but not the people who make the game.

No instead the keeper of the Store worlds and the head of the store world department of the Sims stated today as we were all busy looking for our solutions to this problem, one simmer even braving to take the AS world into CAW and trying to drop the sea level - which did nothing by the way - and me trying to help out thinking it was the new really dark terrain paints and new cement sidewalks and roadways - and who i might add does not even own Aurora Skies as I couldn't afford it - but still i was trying to help - when all of a sudden the skies parted and in stepped Sim Guru Smitty herself in all her lovely glory and plainly state we could more or less stop looking for solutions as they had identified a bug in Seasons realated to the snow/winter and the engineers were presently engaged in finding a fix.

Granted those were not Sim guru's own words but my interpretation of said remark.

Please see for yourself seeing everything must be proven to be true around these parts:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/650201.page

and her exact post is the second reply down on this page:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/180/650201.page#top

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    That was what people were saying but the Developers of the game say it is a Seasons bug - so who do you think is right - what a simmer says or what the developers are saying? Add to that fact Simguru Smitty said they are working on a fix - so what happens when they get the actual fix - then do you redo your water levels yet again?

Also if it was just water levels, why is it not all worlds with low water levels showing this issue - take for instance Twinbrooks and any other swampy looking world - this is not universal and as bugs go, some worlds get it and some do not. But yes when people first saw this problem in Aurora skies, someone asked SimGuru Copeland I believe if it could be the fact Aurora Skies was at - below sea level in some areas - but the fact of the matter the snow is like that throughout Aurora Skies but a few choice lots, regardless of what degree they are at sea level - even in lots above sea level - and not once did the guru say that, he just said he3 would pass the info on to the game engineers to be looked at. Well not getting any direct answer in 48 hours - I saw people posting it was because the world was below sea level - all over the place - so yeah a lot of "simmers" said it, but not the people who make the game.

No instead the keeper of the Store worlds and the head of the store world department of the Sims stated today as we were all busy looking for our solutions to this problem, one simmer even braving to take the AS world into CAW and trying to drop the sea level - which did nothing by the way - and me trying to help out thinking it was the new really dark terrain paints and new cement sidewalks and roadways - and who i might add does not even own Aurora Skies as I couldn't afford it - but still i was trying to help - when all of a sudden the skies parted and in stepped Sim Guru Smitty herself in all her lovely glory and plainly state we could more or less stop looking for solutions as they had identified a bug in Seasons realated to the snow/winter and the engineers were presently engaged in finding a fix.

Granted those were not Sim guru's own words but my interpretation of said remark.

Please see for yourself seeing everything must be proven to be true around these parts:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/650201.page

and her exact post is the second reply down on this page:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/180/650201.page#top

I appreciate what you are saying and I am in no way saying that I know more than the developers. I am only offering a solution that worked for me. I would also like to point out that SimguruCopeland didn't say the terrain levels wasn't the cause of the problem, he acknowledged that there was an issue with the snow and has passed it on.

Aurora skies has differing water levels and as someone pointed out in that post, the geothermal lake has been identified as sea to stop it freezing in winter, which is the likely cause of the bug appearing in so many places. I do agree it needs to be fixed, but until they do,for those of us still in the build phase, raising the terrain slightly can stop this from happening.

In my world this issue only occurred in terrain that was at sea level and raising the terrain and having a graduated bank did fix this. I didn't try lowering the sea level so I don't know if that would work or not. I only had a few sections of my world that were at sea level, so it wasn't too much work on my part.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Id imagine you are both right. The fact of the matter is that this world is VERY close to sea level, I mean, it IS a swamp. :XD: I've noticed that the hilly area in the background actually does have snow levels.

Screenshot-542_zps8000d885.jpg

So what I'll do is post my concern, and see if the patch they release will fix it. If it doesn't, then I know that I need to mess with the terrain. Thank you all. :D

I think I'm going to update today. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sinkala, I understand that - but again I ask what happens to your fixed world when the engineers do find the solution and put the fix in a patch? Also I still wonder why is it not ALL worlds that are below sea level NOT experiencing this problem with the snow? I am talking logically speaking if there was an issue with just snow at a certain sea levels, stands to reason all worlds created at those same sea levels would have this issue - and as the Guru pointed out, it really does look like a bug. I can see where the low sea level may add to the issue - well if it was real snow, but it is programming and we cannot attribute real life affects in the real world to what is in a game world either. It has to be based on the programming if you ask me and what attributes the engineers gave to every item they programmed to behave in a particular manner. Apparently something they gave commands to behave in a certain manner isn't behaving as programmed and hince that is called a bug.

But yeah in real life it makes sense - we just have to remember we are not dealing with real life. Like people coming up with salt water keeping the water from freezing - yeah in real life it does - well to a degree - as salt water can freeze it just takes colder temps - but in a game that only works if the engineers said we will make it like real life and designate the salt water affect to prevent the appearance of freezing - which it will of course do providing some bug doesn't get in the works and block that bit of programming or make it appear as something else.

We have no way of know what programming everything in the game has unless we ask someone who first knows C++ programming and second who has actually looked to see.

I'm old school, and programming went out the door when machine basic went out the door and C++ came in. But I am not so lost that I don't know they both served the same purpose and that programming in the game is only akin to real life if that is the way it has been programmed. Bet you have never seen water rain from the ground up - of course not, in real life it falls down, but in programming you could make water go from the ground up. That's all I am saying.

ETA -I do agree though as I actually found it a bit odd when the Guru pointed out a bug was causing this and it was a bug in seasons. That did blow my mind seeing I have now seen snow in a good dozen or more worlds since Seasons came out and I have to say it looks amazing and the job done with winter is so right on it is really hard to believe there is a bug issue anywhere there - so my best guess is something is conflicting and it may well be the programming for water levels - but my worry for you all is if you go to all the work and change things up so it appears fixed now, what happens to those worlds that were changed when the fix is applied - they could go to being useless and not play at all to possibly having next to no problem but water level being too low and spawners all sinking so fish are unfishable and water unswimmable or what ever - that is what I am saying. If a bug is the actual issue as they say generally it is better to wait until the bug issue has been fixed, and then see what adjustments one may need to make if at all. As creators know the more you fidget with a world the more unstable they get. That's all. But then it is your world and not really any of my business to start with.

In dreams - I LIVE!