Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Laptop* Graphics Card Information Zone [CALLING LAPTOP SIMMERS FOR A SURVEY + LAPTOP HELP HERE]

Comments

• Options
    ExplorerKelseyExplorerKelsey Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G55VW/
    How will the sims 3 run on this computer.
  • Options
    summermistx3summermistx3 Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited May 2013
    Can anyone help me find the price for this I can't seem to find it? Also where is this laptop usually sold at?
    http://www.amazon.com/G55VW-ES71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Notebook-Black/dp/B007Z9WWDW
    I've linked to you on where you could purchase the model, if you're still interested in it after looking at the price, I can help you decide on a better selection. Do you have a budget?
    I actually like that laptop u recommended. I don't usually do online purchases bad experience b4 but I am not limited to best buy, but my friend told me thats where she bought hers from for under $500 with a nvidia card and hd graphics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Geek+Squad+Certified+Refurbished+15.6%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver/7027405.p?id=1218822432259&skuId=7027405
    Refurbished laptops usually have a few months warranty, might as well get a brand new one. You can read customer reviews for newegg here.

Are you also considering the one you just linked? If so, I wouldn't really recommend it, the graphics card is a huge step down from the previous one you linked to.
  • Options
    ExplorerKelseyExplorerKelsey Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Can anyone help me find the price for this I can't seem to find it? Also where is this laptop usually sold at?
    http://www.amazon.com/G55VW-ES71-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Notebook-Black/dp/B007Z9WWDW
    I've linked to you on where you could purchase the model, if you're still interested in it after looking at the price, I can help you decide on a better selection. Do you have a budget?

. I'm looking for a laptop like that but maybe less than $800.
  • Options
    invertedsiminvertedsim Posts: 151 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I was just wondering if even though the graphics card is low would the hdd make up for it.

I was leaning more towards the one u linked to me, hopefully I can get it or one similar to it in about a week. I just want to know all I can to get the best out of my laptop as my desktop couldn't handle the sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm looking for a laptop like that but maybe less than $800.
    Have you viewed my laptop checklist?
    I was just wondering if even though the graphics card is low would the hdd make up for it.

I was leaning more towards the one u linked to me, hopefully I can get it or one similar to it in about a week. I just want to know all I can to get the best out of my laptop as my desktop couldn't handle the sims.
    No, the HDD will never make up for the graphics card. Being able to smoothly play Sims 3 is solely based on the graphics card. You won't have an option to upgrade graphics card on a laptop, but you'll be able to upgrade the HDD. So it should be in your best interest to find a laptop within your budget with the best graphics card. You can find good laptops at Best Buy, you'd just have to spend a bit more than on other sites.
    Desktops are cheaper & more sufficient for simming than laptops, however that mostly applies if you build your own desktop. Purchasing a desktop with high specs will get expensive, but if you purchase a cheap tower & a decent screen, all you'd have to do is upgrade the graphics card, add more RAM, and a few other upgrades and viola, you've got yourself a beast.
    Have you viewed my laptop checklist?
  • Options
    mariehipmariehip Posts: 119
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I found a lenovo y500 for $900 which is great. But it comes with intel core i5 3230m 2.6ghz and only 6gb ram. But it still comes with the 650m SLI. WHICH IM EXCITED FOR! will I still be able to play on all high settings with no lag? Will there be a noticeable differece in gaming?

I'm only gonna be installing the sims 3 ambitions, seasons, university life, and island paradise. And no stuff packs. But some store content. Thanks. Right now I care alot about the graphics card more than anything. My fairly new april 2012 laptop has lag. But no crashes. Lol. But my hp laptop is slow. 1.9ghz. Right now im usong my samsung galaxy note 2 to type this right now. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mariehip wrote:
    Ok so I found a lenovo y500 for $900 which is great. But it comes with intel core i5 3230m 2.6ghz and only 6gb ram. But it still comes with the 650m SLI. WHICH IM EXCITED FOR! will I still be able to play on all high settings with no lag? Will there be a noticeable differece in gaming?

I'm only gonna be installing the sims 3 ambitions, seasons, university life, and island paradise. And no stuff packs. But some store content. Thanks. Right now I care alot about the graphics card more than anything. My fairly new april 2012 laptop has lag. But no crashes. Lol. But my hp laptop is slow. 1.9ghz. Right now im usong my samsung galaxy note 2 to type this right now. Thanks again.
    The i5-3230M goes up to 3.20GHz, so you have no worries. And 6GB is perfectly fine as long as you don't multitask by surfing the web and playing sims. You will be able to play on all high settings with all expansion & stuff packs plus gigabytes of store content. So you're actually good to go! I hope you enjoy your new laptop :) Be sure to stop by and post in-game pictures!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks alot. I don't think I would know how to post in game pictures. And does your pets have fur on them. Can you post in game pictures of your pets and the beach.
  • Options
    xocutiepiexoxocutiepiexo Posts: 228
    edited May 2013
    Yeah definitely and the laptop list on the first page has been great too! :-)
    Haha 'silly goober' i am indeed!

Yesterday i actually went for a wee look at laptops to get an idea and i saw a Song Vaio E Series in white, i was in love.
    Unfortunately at the store i looked at te specs weren't good enough..
    But i looked at the official sony site recently and its giving better specs and prices and everything!
    You can customise it all yourself

Here are the specs i am looking at:

Processor - intel core i5-3230, 2.6GHz (unsure what the turbo boost is, but in the store the on with i5 was 3.10GHz
    Graphics - AMD HD 7650M 1GB (would it make a difference to go to 2GB?)
    Hard drive - 500GB (for £20 more you can go to 750GB, would that be worth it?)
    RAM memory - 8GB

Pretty chuffed with this, please let me know what you think! :-)
    Ah yes, Song Vaios are really lovely but are suckers for gaming! Plus, those pretty things are known to have heating problems. Then again what really doesn't :roll: lol
    The processor is great, goes up to 3.20GHz. If you believe 110GB more hard drive space is worth £20, go for it (we all know you never get a laptop with exactly 500GB or 750GB). You will be able to play medium-high settings on AMD HD 7650M with all expansion packs. Just to give you an idea, the 7650M should be similar to the 6550M (this is why I wish people would upload more in-game pictures).
    As for choosing between 1GB or 2GB video RAM, the amount of memory on a graphics card does not measure performance, it's the card model that matters. For instance a 1GB Nvidia 645M is still 5 times faster than a 2GB Nvidia 525M.
    What's the price difference between the 1GB & 2GB? If it's too much, it's not worth it.

Aw darn really!? :(
    I'm probably still going to get it however. What could I do to improve it or help with the heating issues? I've never actually had a laptop so no idea about overheating and stuff. Medium-high is probably fine, I don't play all expansion packs ethier, only about 6? (7 when island paradise comes out) and no stuff packs

The price difference between the 1GB and 2GB is £50?
    The 1GB is free at the moment on offer.
    Would getting the 2GB help?

And would getting this laptop be a huge mistake? :/

The main thing I want is for Seasons to work as before I had to have all weather turned off so it would play, which was completely pointless ya know? :(
  • Options
    steph_444444steph_444444 Posts: 1,875 Member
    edited May 2013
    1. NVidia GTS 360M, 1 GB dedicated memory
    2. All expansions
    3. All stuff packs except Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    4. Not sure the names, but the no intro one and one that allows me to have all build/buy items on any lot type.
    5. Downloads folder is 2.52 GB, Mods folder is 3.17 GB
    6. 28-30 (in a highly detailed custom world with about 150 built lots)
    Fullscreen mode not enabled
    Screen size1920x1080
    Object hiding, animation smoothing, advanced rendering: all enabled
    Reflection quality: mirrors & water
    Edge smoothing: high
    Draw distance: high
    Visual effects: high
    High detail lots: 6
    Lighting and shadows: high
    Texture detail: high
    Tree detail: high
    Sim detail: very high
    Screenshot-343_zps9cecfdae.jpg
    Screenshot-205_zps9c9326ec.jpg
    Screenshot-192_zps3ed80d3a.jpg
    Screenshot-576.jpg
    Screenshot-522.jpg
  • Options
    xXSoulKeeperXxxXSoulKeeperXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2013
    1. Intel GMA X3100
    2. I have all EPs except for the latest one
    3. All except for Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    4. None unless they come from the Sims 3 Store
    5. 1.83 GB
    6. At the moment my game keeps crashing before I can even get to my gaming screen so I can't access this information :(
    7. Again, can't access the game but I know I keep mirrors off and everything else I keep at medium. Object hiding is on as well.....can't remember much else besides that.
    8.Screenshot-16.jpg
    Screenshot-6.jpg
    Screenshot-3.jpg

I WOULD REALLY prefer to spend less than $700, but I would be willing to go up to $1,000. My laptop now is a Macbook that is actually in really great condition other than the fact that playing The Sims has become very difficult, so ideally the laptop I am looking for would mostly just be used to playing the Sims and not much else.
  • Options
    simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    edited May 2013
    Definitely bookmarking this! :mrgreen:
    I'm also hearing that it is much much cheaper if you build your own laptop. I was wondering if there is anybody who can take me by the hand and help me step-by-step as how to build your own computer and/or laptop from scratch?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mariehip wrote:
    Thanks alot. I don't think I would know how to post in game pictures. And does your pets have fur on them. Can you post in game pictures of your pets and the beach.
    Ah, that's quite simple. Your in-game pictures will be located in C:\Users\(NAME)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Screenshots, all you would have to do is upload the ones you like on an image hosting site such as photobucket or tinypic. After you upload your chosen pictures, the site will generate different types of links for the pictures. You'll copy the entire [IMG][/img] code and paste it onto your post (to confirm the pictures show up, be sure to click "Preview"!). However, if you don't want to, it's completely fine :)
    When I get time to play my game, I'll try my best to get those pictures for you!
    I'm probably still going to get it however. What could I do to improve it or help with the heating issues? I've never actually had a laptop so no idea about overheating and stuff. Medium-high is probably fine, I don't play all expansion packs ethier, only about 6? (7 when island paradise comes out) and no stuff packs

The main thing I want is for Seasons to work as before I had to have all weather turned off so it would play, which was completely pointless ya know? :(
    Cooling pads can be helpful, the only personal problem I have with them is that they can die out fast, like within 3 months. It's a bittersweet thing as the best ones in the market do that... when all fails, keep an ice pack under your laptop lol. I promise that brings down significant amount of degrees.

I'm going to be real with you :oops:, I know you're probably in love with this laptop, but for the sake of gaming, if you can get a laptop with a better graphics card within your budget, go for it. I mean you will be able to play Seasons on it, but honestly, I can't verify how well, maybe on medium settings. I'm not going to lie, even with the 650M, I can feel the significant load Seasons brings in my game, and the 7650M is pretty far in par from the 650M, so I can only imagine. I drop from 45 FPS to 28 FPS when there's weather happening. With the graphics card that laptop comes with, it won't make a significant difference if you go with the 1GB or 2GB, 2GB will not improve your performance. If you don't mind my curiosity, how much is this laptop you're looking at? Also, will you be purchasing this online or in-store? How's the return policy?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What's an optical drive? Can I play the sims 3 without one? Because it says that the lenovo y500 has no optical drive. And idk if that means a dvd rw drive. Is there a place in that laptop where I can enter a disk. Thanks again. I'm only 14.
  • Options
    dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited May 2013
    Hey summermistx3!
    Do you think you can give me a hand? My parents are saying the Acer I want is too big for college use and it'll probably be heavy to get around with. They said I can still get it if I want but do you think you can reccommend another computer that's smaller but with the same specs? They also reccomend a Toshiba but they're really expensive. Anything you come across will be awesome :D I really want atleast a GT 650 Nvidia card and i7 processing but I won't argue with someting better! Thanks a bunch :D

Btw my budget can't be higher than 1,500 in dollars. :)

http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/productID.258956600/parentCategoryID.60063300/
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @steph_444444 Thank you very much for your contribution! You have lovely pictures! :)

@xXSoulKeeperXx Thank you so much for taking the time to do the survey, cute pictures! :)
    Wow, you must've had that Macbook for a while! I'm positive you'll be able to find something within $700-$950. Have you viewed my laptop checklist? If you are eyeing any laptop, feel free to post a link so I can give you some input.
    Definitely bookmarking this! :mrgreen:
    I'm also hearing that it is much much cheaper if you build your own laptop. I was wondering if there is anybody who can take me by the hand and help me step-by-step as how to build your own computer and/or laptop from scratch?
    Thank you! I hope you find this thread helpful!
    Ah, I think you only mean it's much cheaper building your own desktop. Building laptops are much more extensive and require professionals as laptop parts are not widely available and can cost double for half the performance of desktop parts.
    I personally have not built a computer, but the first step is knowing what CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory, hard drive, computer fan, case, and video card. I would take a look at these links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSNEvAcJCZw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqrAy1Ks6w
    - They're Part 1 & 2 out of 4.
    - They're very detailed hence why they're long
    http://www.tomshardware.com/t/build-your-own/
    - They have numerous tutorials
    - Their forum is the #1 place to get advice on what components will work with others (ex: is the processor sufficient enough for the graphics card, is the amount of power supply enough, etc)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mariehip wrote:
    What's an optical drive? Can I play the sims 3 without one? Because it says that the lenovo y500 has no optical drive. And idk if that means a dvd rw drive. Is there a place in that laptop where I can enter a disk. Thanks again. I'm only 14.
    Lol, it's fine, you can ask me a billion questions. CD/DVD drives are optical drives so no, you can't install sims without one. And that's odd, do you mind linking me where you're looking at the laptop?
    Hey summermistx3!
    Do you think you can give me a hand? My parents are saying the Acer I want is too big for college use and it'll probably be heavy to get around with. They said I can still get it if I want but do you think you can reccommend another computer that's smaller but with the same specs? They also reccomend a Toshiba but they're really expensive. Anything you come across will be awesome :D I really want atleast a GT 650 Nvidia card and i7 processing but I won't argue with someting better! Thanks a bunch :D

http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/productID.258956600/parentCategoryID.60063300/
    Hey! Welcome back! Oh gurl, I figured it'd be a bit too heavy for college, my apologizes, but the battery life is great on it! Anyhoo, $1,500? We're talking American dollars right? I've got to run now but I'll definitely get back to you in a few hours. The only problem with that price range is that you'll find something better than the 650M (the 660M and above), but you'd have to double check it's not heavy and has a good battery life (the more high-end you go, the heavier the laptop ends up & the more battery it consumes). If you're American, I really recommend this site. They have stellar customer reviews & you can customize their laptops to fit your needs, like decide on having either Windows 7 or 8. While I'm out, if you find anything you're interested in, feel free to post a link here to get an input :)
  • Options
    dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited May 2013
    mariehip wrote:
    Lol, it's fine, you can ask me a billion questions. CD/DVD drives are optical drives so no, you can't install sims without one. And that's odd, do you mind linking me where you're looking at the laptop?
    Hey summermistx3!

Hey! Welcome back! Oh gurl, I figured it'd be a bit too heavy for college, my apologizes, but the battery life is great on it! Anyhoo, $1,500? We're talking American dollars right? I've got to run now but I'll definitely get back to you in a few hours. The only problem with that price range is that you'll find something better than the 650M (the 660M and above), but you'd have to double check it's not heavy and has a good battery life (the more high-end you go, the heavier the laptop ends up & the more battery it consumes). If you're American, I really recommend this site. They have stellar customer reviews & you can customize their laptops to fit your needs, like decide on having either Windows 7 or 8. While I'm out, if you find anything you're interested in, feel free to post a link here to get an input :)

Wow you respond back quick! Ahh your a life saver and its cool I'm so new at this laptop thing. I don't mind anything higher than a 650! The better the graphics card the happier I am as a simmer! I'll definately check that site out! respond to me back at any time :D! I doesn't matter Windows 7 or Windows 8 I love both. I'd have to take a look around thanks a bunch! And yes we are talking American dollars :lol:
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Im on my cell phone so I don't know how to link. But can you check for me please? Because I don't want to get the laptop and I can't play the sims 3. Its the lenovo y500 for $899. Thanks again. Your the best.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Cooling pads can be helpful, the only personal problem I have with them is that they can die out fast, like within 3 months. It's a bittersweet thing as the best ones in the market do that... when all fails, keep an ice pack under your laptop lol. I promise that brings down significant amount of degrees.

I'm going to be real with you :oops:, I know you're probably in love with this laptop, but for the sake of gaming, if you can get a laptop with a better graphics card within your budget, go for it. I mean you will be able to play Seasons on it, but honestly, I can't verify how well, maybe on medium settings. I'm not going to lie, even with the 650M, I can feel the significant load Seasons brings in my game, and the 7650M is pretty far in par from the 650M, so I can only imagine. I drop from 45 FPS to 28 FPS when there's weather happening. With the graphics card that laptop comes with, it won't make a significant difference if you go with the 1GB or 2GB, 2GB will not improve your performance. If you don't mind my curiosity, how much is this laptop you're looking at? Also, will you be purchasing this online or in-store? How's the return policy? [/quote]

Haha aw okay, sounds like i should scrap that and continue my long lost search ;)
    Good news is i got the money yesterday and is going in my bank, so the sooner as possible to ordering a laptop would be great!
    Its a shame we have different time zones! >.<
    Okay your right, i just can't seem to see any that i like with good graphics and everything! Its impossible :(
    The laptop was £488.00 with free shipping, 2 year warranty and 30 days to return i think?

Think I'm going to have a look at the dell laptops again!
    What about this: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15r-5521/pd?oc=n0055112&model_id=inspiron-15r-5521

Its the dell one I showed you but with i7 which goes up to 3.10 GHz!
    The only worry i have is some of the reviews? :/
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry I keep editing my messages, I can't make up my mind. >.<
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If I orser my laptop from newegg on june 10th, when do you think it will arrive?
  • Options
    badtothebone322badtothebone322 Posts: 5,914 Member
    edited May 2013
    Wow! This thread is so amazing and helpful! Thanks a bunch for making this. I just read through the whole first page and a couple of additional posts. I stopped by here because I am going off to college next year, and I do not have a laptop, so I'll need to buy one. Of course though, I will not want to leave the sims behind, so I am looking for a powerful laptop that will run The Sims 3 (and The Sims 4, even though we don't have any information yet) on all high settings. So, I've been doing research all day, and I think I have finally found the one, and I would just like someone to help me confirm that this laptop will run The Sims on high settings just fine.

ASUS G75VX

Thank you for all of the help in advance! I am just really hoping to buy a powerful laptop that will last me years and will be able to run future games without a problem.
    FamilyPortrait1.png
    Click my signature to check out my TS4 legacy challenge!
  • Options
    xXSoulKeeperXxxXSoulKeeperXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2013

@xXSoulKeeperXx Thank you so much for taking the time to do the survey, cute pictures! :)
    Wow, you must've had that Macbook for a while! I'm positive you'll be able to find something within $700-$950. Have you viewed my laptop checklist? If you are eyeing any laptop, feel free to post a link so I can give you some input.

Yeah I've had this Macbook for almost five years. A REALLY long time lol. Anyway, these two laptops were the main ones I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVYPPHI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-17.3-Envy-dv7-7247cl-Laptop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Processor-and-Windows-8/21949537

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312432

I've seen cheaper ones too but they say their graphics cards are integrated or the discrete class, which I saw you said they wouldn't be good....?

I really don't know lol. I've always heard (and felt) that Nvidia cards are the best when they come to graphics which is why I am leaning more towards these two.
  • Options
    kjcheerldrkjcheerldr Posts: 2 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Is this laptop good enough?? I found it for only $449.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663

I don't want to spend too much money on a gaming laptop, since I just dropped over $1000 on my current laptop, only to find out it still wasn't good enough to play Sims 3. :cry:

I'll just be using it for the Sims ONLY.