Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else hide the fact that you play the Sims?

Comments

• Options
    miaevtmiaevt Posts: 43 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I don't hide it. I'm only 19 so I don't consider myself too old. Even in high school I would openly talk about. I even had a friend who played the game and we would constantly talk about it and annoy people who don't play it. I've been playing since the original(I think I was around 11 at the time). :-)
  • Options
    luvzluvz Posts: 204 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Galilee wrote:
    luvz wrote:
    Hey,

I'm not judging you guys who are open about it so don't judge me. I didn't hide it either when I was living with my best friend or my parents.

I just want to see who else out there are closet players so we can laugh at ourselves and know there are others like us. :]

I don't judge.. too each is their own. I own and play every console/pc you can imagine. I play everything from The Sims, rpgs, mmo's to fps.. Hey I even rp'd on Lord of the rings Online.. if it's not embarrassing enough that I actually played the game, the rp should be real geek alert lol

Hahahaha, I used to RP on a character on Lord of the Rings Online that I named after one of my exes while playing with her. She'd get so mad because I'd be having the fun of RPing but to her embarrassment instead of mine (because I was using her name).

I used to make up little songs like:
    "May your blades strike deep and my songs play true,
    for fear is no factor while I heal YOU!"

She'd refuse to play until I stopped. Then I'd start it again a little bit later.
  • Options
    ValkMissileValkMissile Posts: 123 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Galilee wrote:
    I know what you mean. I love simulation games, and some of them are a little embarrassing to admit to playing (Virtual Villagers, I'm looking at you). But I'm generally quite open with the games I play.

HAHAHA I played that on my ipod touch... I just loved waking up in the morning and checking on them!
    Lol, that game probably had the worst AI ever. I literally had to force them to procreate. I checked on them one day and they were pretty much all dead because no one wanted to make babies. Honestly, stranded on an island with nothing else to do... :lol:
  • Options
    SILLYA1804SILLYA1804 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I used to hide the fact that i played. But that was mostly in HS. now i dont care who knows. they know im a hott nerd lol. i tell people im the hottest nerd youll know! Its so funny because my sister who is 13 (im 23) will call me just to talk about the sims and we are like chattering school girls about it.
  • Options
    GalileeGalilee Posts: 361 Member
    edited June 2009
    luvz wrote:
    Galilee wrote:
    luvz wrote:
    Hey,

I'm not judging you guys who are open about it so don't judge me. I didn't hide it either when I was living with my best friend or my parents.

I just want to see who else out there are closet players so we can laugh at ourselves and know there are others like us. :]

I don't judge.. too each is their own. I own and play every console/pc you can imagine. I play everything from The Sims, rpgs, mmo's to fps.. Hey I even rp'd on Lord of the rings Online.. if it's not embarrassing enough that I actually played the game, the rp should be real geek alert lol

Hahahaha, I used to RP on a character on Lord of the Rings Online that I named after one of my exes while playing with her. She'd get so mad because I'd be having the fun of RPing but to her embarrassment instead of mine (because I was using her name).

I used to make up little songs like:
    "May your blades strike deep and my songs play true,
    for fear is no factor while I heal YOU!"

She'd refuse to play until I stopped. Then I'd start it again a little bit later.

HAHA that is awsome... I use to like to make a hobbit nobody knew and go terrorize my friends.. who were all too slow to realize it was me lol

Lol, that game probably had the worst AI ever. I literally had to force them to procreate. I checked on them one day and they were pretty much all dead because no one wanted to make babies. Honestly, stranded on an island with nothing else to do...

... I guess my little villagers like to get it on, because they always had max population... No time to farm but plenty of time to .. well you know ;)
  • Options
    lil_vicky61lil_vicky61 Posts: 488 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My friends know that I play the Sims3. Heck, I was the first one out of my group of friends to get the game! But I'm not one to announce to random people that I play the game but most of my friends do know that I play it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think the main reason why I hide it is because I don't want to give every single person who witnesses me playing various computer games over the years a lengthy speech explaining it.

When I used to play WoW, I was tanking a boss in a 40 man raid in BWL. My friend started throwing rocks at my window and I didn't get up until the fight was over to answer the door. By that time, he was gone. I tried explaining it to him. I said that if I had gotten up, 39 other people would have instantly died in-game and just wasted 15 minutes of their relaxation time. Times 15 by 39 and that is 9.75 hours wasted total. Given the amount of stress most people deal with at work and the limited amount of freetime most people have, we don't want our relaxation/gaming time to be wasted. Non-gamers don't understand things like that. They say, "it's just a game; that's ludicrous." Similar things can be said about the Sims 3. My Dad would say things like, "why do you play games? just do those things in real life." Considering the fact that I don't want to DIE in real life (like most games involving the possibility of death), or that I don't want to impregnate every female maid that enters my house in real life, it leaves a few holes in his argument.

Alternatively, if I don't explain it, it just looks ludicrous to non-gamers and unfortunately there are many non-gamers in life that you have to live/socialize/work/deal with.

Everyone should just play games... all the time.
  • Options
    Tiena64Tiena64 Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2009
    Nah, I don't hide the fact that I play and enjoy the Sims - read obsessed with - but I do get sick of explaining what it is, if I happen to mention it at work! Plus none of my friends play it ... ah well, doesn't bother me

Cheers :-)
  • Options
    Bubbs1366Bubbs1366 Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Oh no, all my friends and coworkers know I play. I have Sims pictures on my PC at work as my wallpapers that I rotate. Everyone knows...they even read my blog about my families.
  • Options
    PCGamerPCGamer Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Sooooooooo Closet here!

I have to wait till the wife goes to sleep before I play.

When I picked up my Preorder Collector Edition I told the girl at Best buy it was for my daughter.

Today when I got home from work my daughter (11 yrs old) came up to me and asked if I bought The Sims 3. I ask her how she found out. She gave me some excuse how she was looking for a lunch bag near my desk and saw all the stickers and game book out. I made her promise not to tell her mom in exchange for game time on my PC later! LOL

PCGamer-
  • Options
    Bren88Bren88 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited June 2009
    lol, if someone asks me if I play it then I'll admit it but I usually dont just say that I do, I think it makes me seem like one of those video game geeks, which I kind of em ,lol but not really , besides the sims isn't your average video game it's a life simulation, if anything it just means where very creative people not mario brother geeks Jk lol.
  • Options
    Kmarshall1990Kmarshall1990 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm not.. I just finished my first year in college and I don't care if people know i play it, its one of the most popular video games and i've been playing it since the first Sims came out lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lol oh good ole WoW

I always loved the major difference between the general chat in lotro where people were helpful in comparison to WoW where questions were usually answered with "Lawl Noob" or something ridiculous about Chuck Norris

Well it can be the same for most anything anyone does.. I don't enjoy playing basketball (and it has nothing to do with being 5'lol) I don't like it but others do.. I like to game and others don't.. People tend judge things they are ignorant of is all
  • Options
    JennifersueJennifersue Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, Well, I'm a 39-year-old mom of 4, so I don't exactly fit the profile of a Sims player, but I have been addicted since the original Sims. I don't tell a lot of my friends because they just don't get it, but I tell my friends' kids and teens and they think it's pretty cool. :)

• Options
    MysticalSimsMysticalSims Posts: 215 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Everyone knows I love this game. If I had a cubie wall big enough I would have the poster from the prima guide hung up there!

I never considered it a virtual dollhouse. It is a video game, just like all of the other games I play.
  • Options
    bucsfankhris05bucsfankhris05 Posts: 1,020 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Everyone knows I play it - I have a co-worker asking me about how I like it right now...LOL! When I lived at home, my mom complained that I'm "too obsessed with some game," but I told her it was the equivelent of her watching TV. At least I'm actually using my brain while playing...lol.

I've been chattering to EVERYONE at work about how excited I've been that's it's coming out - they all asked me how it was on Wednesday when I came in! I'm a huge Sims fanatic and VERY PROUD!
  • Options
    LtnghtdvLtnghtdv Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2009
    No, it a game I don't care I let everyone know that I am playing the sims or looking forward to sims 3 release...=D.Don't be ashamed!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PCGamer wrote:
    When I picked up my Preorder Collector Edition I told the girl at Best buy it was for my daughter.

Hahahaha. I was fully prepared to deliver an elaborate speech about how it was a gift for my non-existent girlfriend or non-existent sister or something, but instead I just bought it, asked for a bag, and walked out quietly.
  • Options
    ThisIsChloesSNThisIsChloesSN Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2009
    Yes and no! I am a 20 (almost 21 year old- had to throw that in!) college student, and have been playing the sims since I was in middle school.

This is the only game that I will play- all other video games are not worth my time.

I hide the fact that I play a video game... and one for over 5 hours plus a day.

And yet on my facebook and twitter (follow me: thisischloessn), I let everyone know via status updates how I love the game.
  • Options
    silvercidalsilvercidal Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Why hide it? I've been simming since SimCity 2000 was ported to PlayStation in '96/'97. And will most likely be a proud player of The Sims for life. Given this is the one addiction I have, and my roommates are all too proud to wear their addictions on their sleeves (and pretty much every other fabric the smoke gets into), I live it up. Heck, once I can verify the plumbob case won't be easily parted from the USB it's going right onto my keyring!
  • Options
    LarisPlayLarisPlay Posts: 50 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I don't necessarily flaunt it but I'm not about to hide it either.
    :)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why hide it? I've been simming since SimCity 2000 was ported to PlayStation in '96/'97. And will most likely be a proud player of The Sims for life. Given this is the one addiction I have, and my roommates are all too proud to wear their addictions on their sleeves (and pretty much every other fabric the smoke gets into), I live it up. Heck, once I can verify the plumbob case won't be easily parted from the USB it's going right onto my keyring!

Why hide it? Everyone already gives me **** for being an alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict, and I don't really want to add to that by being the alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict who plays the Sims 3 all night. I'd rather be the alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict who engages in mysterious activity in room alone all night.

Everyone has their own reasons though.
  • Options
    aloizoualoizou Posts: 40 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i hide it. its embarassing coz im 19 but oh well i wont play it religiously just once a week or so.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    luvz wrote:

Why hide it? Everyone already gives me **** for being an alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict, and I don't really want to add to that by being the alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict who plays the Sims 3 all night. I'd rather be the alcoholic, smoking, relationship addict who engages in mysterious activity in room alone all night.

HAHAHAHAHA
    .. Wow that made me LOL
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Galilee wrote:
    luvz wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA
    .. Wow that made me LOL

At least one person appreciates my closet simaholicism. :]