Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I have seasons without seasons?

I weird request I know but I planned to have an eternal fall in my world since my town is Moonlit Falls inspired by the Pacific North West (where I live in real life or as I refer to the Wet Coast) I figured it be more rain and fog like here but frost is almost everyday/every other day which isn't what I want (and is not the weather I am a accustomed to for fall (ok at the way end of fall coming up to winter we have frost and may have snow but usually wet/rainy)) so I am bummed ok. But then I realize I cannot turn off all seasons I have to pick one?

I even considered uninstalling Seasons but do want to keep some content (I love weather changes just not to hot on season changes) :P

Suggestions on a season to pick and what it would entail (for those familiar which each season pro/con and what it comes with?). Or is mass seasons turn off but weather left on going to be a possibility later on?

Comments

• Options
    Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes go to options a realy useful place to go you can choose lots of different options here
  • Options
    yabajenyabajen Posts: 1,187 New Member
    edited November 2012
    lol I was going to say what's the point of buying the expansion then but I asked a similar question when Supernatural came out cuz I didn't want supernaturals in my game but I wanted the recipes, plants and decor etc :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2012
    Can't you un-tick hail, snow, rain and so on? Wouldn't this work? And there is the new testingcheatsenabled true cheats that can help maintain an eternal Pacific West Coast kind of condition.
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited November 2012
    Sorry, I meant more player preferences (what season you like and why in game wise (I haven't had a chance to play much yet caused been working and to save me some trail and error), cause I wanted to avoid the 'why did you buy it?' line) I initially thought fall would be like our fall but the frost looks like snow which was the season I was going to either have unselected or a short span.

I did mention it was weird and trust me my current settings are weird considering the expansions I have I opt out of lots but the stuff I keep I love (ie I love wet weather and fog which is why i got seasons I had a feeling players have a choice to skip seasons they didn't want).

Sorry a shot in the dark I didn't know how these forums work, my first post and now I just feel a fool to have asked X/ :P

Sorry if mistakes auto correct typing in transit
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Can't you un-tick hail, snow, rain and so on? Wouldn't this work? And there is the new testingcheatsenabled true cheats that can help maintain an eternal Pacific West Coast kind of condition.

I have only had a test of fall with only rain and fog selected but got frost which looks like light snow. I am not familiar which cheats. Do you think spring or summer would give a more wet temperate rainforest? Thanks for the input ill have a try when I get a chance.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    yabajen wrote:
    lol I was going to say what's the point of buying the expansion then but I asked a similar question when Supernatural came out cuz I didn't want supernaturals in my game but I wanted the recipes, plants and decor etc :mrgreen:

Yes I felt a little odd asking myself :P
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited November 2012
    your best bet would be to set the season to a very long fall (like 28 days and do the rest of the seasons at 3 days each.

if you open up the cheat console Ctrl/Shift/C then type in "testingcheatsenabled true" (no qoutations, and make sure theres that space before true. Then you can "shift and click" anywhere on the lot and a menu will pop up "Seasons" thus you can change the current weather to what suits your gameplay. You may need to do it often but it allows you to create what your looking for.

Recognize this though. In both Sims 2 and Sims 3 the weather was designed to be like natural climate variability in the real world. (I'm an atmospheric scientist)So some seasons will be very dry and warm or very dry and cold. Some may be very wet and cold or very wet and warm.

For instnace, in Sunset Valley it POURED everyday during the season. It wwas almost non stop. It got cold QUICK too, eg It was snowing heavy on the last day of fall. Skip to Hidden Springs, first time test with Seasons. I used testingcheats (that I expalined to you) and switched to Fall instanty because it's been summer for years lol (in real life years) go figure it only rained ONCE in all of fall last night, but it was extremely cold very early. This is an example of variability within the programming of weather and seasons. it's not because it's a different world so that world has unique weather. Doesn't work like that.

If you have a very long summer season you'll get better chances at heatwaves if you have a very long winter you'll have better chances at blizzards and so on and so forth.

Don't uninstall Seasons. That seems sinful! LOL ;) Good luck Fellow Simmer! :)
  • Options
    MouetteSheridanMouetteSheridan Posts: 441 Member
    edited November 2012
    Summer is fairly close to pre-Seasons Simming weather, if you give up on the fall idea and don't want to mess with the other seasons.
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2012
    Personally, it may be a while before I do a perma-season in Sims 3. After all, we've had a perma-season since it was released. A Fall broken up with a season like Spring or summer should warm things up so it doesn't get too cold, so there should be less frost. The tradeoff is that the trees won't be permanently orange.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Conclue wrote:
    your best bet would be to set the season to a very long fall (like 28 days and do the rest of the seasons at 3 days each.

if you open up the cheat console Ctrl/Shift/C then type in "testingcheatsenabled true" (no qoutations, and make sure theres that space before true. Then you can "shift and click" anywhere on the lot and a menu will pop up "Seasons" thus you can change the current weather to what suits your gameplay. You may need to do it often but it allows you to create what your looking for.

Recognize this though. In both Sims 2 and Sims 3 the weather was designed to be like natural climate variability in the real world. (I'm an atmospheric scientist)So some seasons will be very dry and warm or very dry and cold. Some may be very wet and cold or very wet and warm.

For instnace, in Sunset Valley it POURED everyday during the season. It wwas almost non stop. It got cold QUICK too, eg It was snowing heavy on the last day of fall. Skip to Hidden Springs, first time test with Seasons. I used testingcheats (that I expalined to you) and switched to Fall instanty because it's been summer for years lol (in real life years) go figure it only rained ONCE in all of fall last night, but it was extremely cold very early. This is an example of variability within the programming of weather and seasons. it's not because it's a different world so that world has unique weather. Doesn't work like that.

If you have a very long summer season you'll get better chances at heatwaves if you have a very long winter you'll have better chances at blizzards and so on and so forth.

Don't uninstall Seasons. That seems sinful! LOL ;) Good luck Fellow Simmer! :)

Thank you and yes I did rather want to kick myself thinking of uninstalling :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Summer is fairly close to pre-Seasons Simming weather, if you give up on the fall idea and don't want to mess with the other seasons.

Thanks, I really haven't had enough time to test out too much (that it might just be a variable thing as Conclue mentioned, I haven't even had a chance to test spring! :P) been working so much, I even missed that seasons was released! It is good to know summer is the closest to pre-seasons. I just know there are some die hards that know everything about an expansion within the first 24 hrs and wanted to see if I could get as much insight as I could :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Personally, it may be a while before I do a perma-season in Sims 3. After all, we've had a perma-season since it was released. A Fall broken up with a season like Spring or summer should warm things up so it doesn't get too cold, so there should be less frost. The trade off is that the trees won't be permanently orange.

Yes, I really should have considered this I am new to Sims 3 I haven't hardly played Sim 3 (Supernatural was my first and it was about October) I am still not completely ready or have tried everything so to me I was like I just got use to lunar changes :P So one big reason I thought I needed some vets opinions/suggestions :) I do like that idea though Fall->Summer or Fall->Spring instead of throwing fall out the window all together. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited November 2012
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if you only want Fall, why not just untick the rest of the Seasons? You need at least 1, so it should let you leave Fall on and turn off the rest :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if you only want Fall, why not just untick the rest of the Seasons? You need at least 1, so it should let you leave Fall on and turn off the rest :)

Yeah, I am not the most clear, sorry about that. I only had a quick trail but when I unclicked all but fall I was getting frost (which looked like snow, I had snow/hail unclicked too) and I was getting it every day/every other day.

Someone mentioned that the seasons vary some more cold/warm or wet/dry and that it is just an unknown variable each year for the season. And someone else suggested if I paired it with a warmer season like spring or summer I may have less frosty days and get a wet, rainy, foggy fall. I may just have to test out different combinations or just have it set to spring or summer and hope for more rain and fog :)
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:

From what I'd read; she tried that. But in her Moonlight Falls, the temperature dropped and she got much more frost than she bargained for. Closer to winter than she'd anticipated for her goals.
  • Options
    karma6423karma6423 Posts: 1 New Member
    Can I have seasons without seasons?
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @karma6423 Wondering a couple of things: (1) Are you asking about Sims 4, which seems logical since the seasons expansion for 4 is new? You're posting in a very old (2012) thread in the Sims 3 section of the forum, so you might want to repost this in the Sims 4 part of the forum if that's the case. (2) If you are talking about Sims 3 and not 4, I think the posts above yours should already answer such a general question about what you can and can't do if you have 3's Seasons installed/enabled. Was there something else you needed to know?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    edited June 2018
    Thanks @suzses. It's great to see simmers helping each other ^^

@karma6423 to add to @suzses post, this might be a good question for the Sims 3 or Sims 4 threads for new members with game issues. These are good threads to post in if you have no luck finding an active thread on your issue and haven't ye unlocked the achievements to be a full member and create threads. I'd suggest popping in there with this and in the meantime I'll close this thread to prevent it being necro'd further.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top