Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course: Building Tombs! Guest Lecturer: Lissykin! ViewAll Lessons Now! (see post 1)

Comments

• Options
    TojaxTojax Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited August 2012
    Tojax wrote:
    @ Zoo and Lissykin: I'm in the process of looking through the thread and I just wanted to say that this is one impressive lecture :) Thank you for the precise and clear explanations. I've bookmarked the thread, so once my laptop gets fixed, I think I'll give this a try...

I run Zoo U, so I set up the thread, but the work (and I agree completely that it is impressive and very clear) is all Lissykin!

True :)

@ Lissykin: Amazing work here :D I think that I've finally began understanding how tombs work.

@ Zoo: You deserve a round of applause as well for coming up with the idea and coordinating :) I'm reading over the other lesson threads now and they seem very helpful.
  • Options
    mwjessica723mwjessica723 Posts: 3,769 Member
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    Thanks Zoo! :D I'm excited for next week!

Re: the errors:
    I'm so sorry some of you are hitting these frustrating snags!! The tomb setting is really buggy in that it has to be done in a certain order. If you have trouble with the first door, then you have to reset everything. It's definitely a programming flaw in my mind. If you're making a complex tomb, it can do your head in to start from scratch.

Okay. Now to fix these troubles! :)

The first thing I do is take a deep breath.

The problem with not being able to alter the lot is in the Edit Town mode. The lot can set itself to Visitors Allowed, which will make it impossible to alter the tomb. Try to Edit Town, select the lot and manually change it to No Visitors Allowed. Now you can select the lot again and try to reset the traps.

Deleting the lot and placing it fresh again is always helpful. Start at the beginning, and see if you have the same problem. Please let me know if this helps! I really want you to walk away happy from this.

If you still get the message that there is a hidden switch missing, let me know. I'm in game right now trying to puzzle out why you're getting the error code. Bear with me!
    *takes deep breath*

I started over on a brand new lot, created two adjoining rooms and did your steps exactly in the order you have them. I'm still getting the error.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot this with us, hun.
  • Options
    priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2012
    I had to take rl break to take apart some bunk beds. (getting ready for flooring)

Gonna try my floorplate again, but Lissy, you did have enable auto open after inspection on your original post, I had that put into my triggers, just won't work for me. Gonna go at it again now.

Nope, no matter how many times I reset, redo, or start over from beginning, she just will not inspect that door. Just get that message like everyone else about the hidden trigger.
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited August 2012
    This may be stupid, but didn't we set that second door to locked? If so, then just discovering it won't work will it? Don't we then have to have a way to unlock it as well?
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That may be my problem, I didn't do that part of the step. I never had the option to 'Add triggers and activated behaviors' on the second door, and seems I skipped the 'lock' step also. I'm trying on a completely fresh lot.
  • Options
    Kryst51Kryst51 Posts: 2,073 Member
    edited August 2012
    I think that door was set already to have the behaviors activated and it was already locked.

I just set an unlock trigger and after I hit the switch I can "open" the door...I don't need to inspect it though.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yes, those 2 behaviors were already set. This time around, I got an "Inspect", rather than "re-examine". However, I got the same message, and then thereafter, I got the re-examine, since she had inspected the door once.

*bangs head on desk* :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I have one other thing I have to do, then I am going to go get access to my Sims computer. I have been reading the lesson but not doing the steps (I can, I THINK, already do the stuff from this lesson and I wasn't worried about trying to follow along).

I know Lissykin is looking into this and she is certainly BY FAR better at this topic then I am, but if I can get it to work I'll be back to post with anything I figure out. My money says Lissykin figures it out before I do.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    This may be stupid, but didn't we set that second door to locked? If so, then just discovering it won't work will it? Don't we then have to have a way to unlock it as well?
    Yeah, I think you're right, Zoo.

Lissy, is there a way to make the floor switch both unhide AND unlock the door with one action? :D
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited August 2012
    *Please read the post from me directly under this next one from ZooProfessor3*

@Zoo: I've never been able to successfully set traps with the simmie on the lot without the traps thinking they've been triggered. This doesn't mean its not possible! If you try it and it works for you, perhaps it will work for others. I'm all for the students teaching the teacher a thing or two. :D

@Jess: Yes, its possible, but it requires the processor. That's a later lesson. :) Perhaps I should have saved this for that....Pffft.

Try this:
    1. ctrl+shift+click and Reset the current link on the door and floor plate.
    2. ctrl+shift+click floor plate - Link triggers, step on (trigger is step on)
    3. ctrl+shift+click door - Link to Activated Behavior - Unlock (activated behavior is unlock).

That should do the trick. Please report back and let me know if that fixed it. :) I've essentially removed the hide portion. The sim will be able to see the floor plate and the door, but the door won't open without the switch plate being activated.

May the Triggers and Behaviors be with You. :D

Next class will be adding the hole in the wall to activate the door to unlock.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sorry everyone, Real Life intruded and I didn't get to go try this in my game.

My husband was away on a trip for a whole week and I thought he was traveling home on Sunday, BUT he made it back on Saturday (YAY!) and I thought it was bad form to let Sims steal me away!

I will try it later, promise!
    oow785m
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi again! Like Zoo, RL kicked in for me.

Alrighty, I just realized what I had done. Bah! I have some RL chronic illness that really messed with me today. Forgive my slowness!

Despite the warning error, you are all doing it just right!!

I am going to teach you how to create the trigger to unlock the door next lesson. I was laying down the set up for it, and totally confused myself.
    Please come next week so you can finish the door trap! :D

For now, the instructions I gave you in the earlier post will make the door function as a stand alone. Next lesson we'll be adding a hole in the wall to trigger the door to open.

See you then! :)
  • Options
    Kryst51Kryst51 Posts: 2,073 Member
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    Hi again! Like Zoo, RL kicked in for me.

Alrighty, I just realized what I had done. Bah! I have some RL chronic illness that really messed with me today. Forgive my slowness!

Despite the warning error, you are all doing it just right!!

I am going to teach you how to create the trigger to unlock the door next lesson. I was laying down the set up for it, and totally confused myself.
    Please come next week so you can finish the door trap! :D

For now, the instructions I gave you in the earlier post will make the door function as a stand alone. Next lesson we'll be adding a hole in the wall to trigger the door to open.

See you then! :)

I see! That makes perfect sense. :D Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I may not be able to make the next lesson as I am going on a mini vacation to attend a wedding next weekend (I am assuming that the lesson is next week.) I'll have to catch up after it. :D

Great job! I enjoyed this thoroughly
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin,

First, FEEL BETTER! Take good care of yourself, that is the most important. We will get the lessons as you are able to give them.

What you said makes PERFECT sense! When you lay it out you aren't thinking about where the lessons will break and how it will look when it does because you've got the whole sequence in your head.

I am going to assume that 1PM PST next Saturday is okay for lesson 2. IF IT IS NOT, THEN YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    CrescentMoonPyeCrescentMoonPye Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    Thanks for joining in P-pup! Glad you survived the great outdoors. lol

@Zoo: Cressie is always a good influence, see the halo? :mrgreen:

@Cressie: Thanks for the apple! It's real, right? lol

Multiple choice question:
    d. All of the above and a Jester Simmie shouting from somewhere...
    It's styrofoam/crunchy. That way it doesn't get wormy.
    *jingle jingle* "Halooo...haloo?"
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Register for Lesson 2 of Lissykin's great Tomb Building class!

Remember that you can still register and be a part of the class even if the timing is such that you can't attend the "live" class!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    Good, good!

So, that's the basics! I hope you have loads fun with this technique. :D
    If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you for attending the first lesson!

I'm here if you need me. You may not know what questions to ask until you test the lot, so go ahead and go to Edit Town again, and choose a simmie to test out your traps. :mrgreen:
    Since I can't practice, I'll just ask a questiona about Lesson 1, Part 2 --- can the foot plate be connected to more than one door, or is there only one connection per function allowed?
    [Did I make any sense? one foot plate - 2 separate doors reveal themselves]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    stupid internet connection made 2 posts. apologies
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    dementor1213dementor1213 Posts: 1,835 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Thankfully this isn't real life school, I completely forgot about the lesson, lol. Hopefully I'm not still like this in a couple of years when I get into college! :shock:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lissykin wrote:
    Good, good!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you for attending the first lesson!

I'm here if you need me. You may not know what questions to ask until you test the lot, so go ahead and go to Edit Town again, and choose a simmie to test out your traps. :mrgreen:
    Since I can't practice, I'll just ask a questiona about Lesson 1, Part 2 --- can the foot plate be connected to more than one door, or is there only one connection per function allowed?

OK, everybody sing: The foot plate's connected to the... ankle door! :shock:

Wha...!? OK, I'm behaving.

Oh, almost forgot, register me for lesson 2, please Ms. Zoo? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thankfully this isn't real life school, I completely forgot about the lesson, lol. Hopefully I'm not still like this in a couple of years when I get into college! :shock:

LOL! Lucky you, you can go do the whole lesson online. Don't forget to register for lesson 2!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    A big thank you Lissy, I found your steps very easy to follow. Make sure you feel wonderful and start the next lesson when you are ready... I have lived with chronic illness/autoimmune problems for a long time, so take care of you. Then come back here and be awesome once again!

We are going to have some great tombs! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    Lissykin wrote:
    Good, good!

OK, everybody sing: The foot plate's connected to the... ankle door! :shock:

Wha...!? OK, I'm behaving.

Oh, almost forgot, register me for lesson 2, please Ms. Zoo? :D

DONE and DONE! I'm putting you on my list! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for the clarification, Lissy! :mrgreen:

Zoo, please register me for Lesson 2!
  • Options
    dementor1213dementor1213 Posts: 1,835 New Member
    edited August 2012

LOL! Lucky you, you can go do the whole lesson online. Don't forget to register for lesson 2!

Lol, I shall not! Go ahead and sign me up! :mrgreen:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top